M(ar)uch Lifting is good for you!

Options

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options

Speaking of pain issues.... Not sure what I did but have pain in left shoulder. It as a bit of a dull ache last night and I sleep on my stomach with one arm/hand under the pillow switching between left and right throughout the night. That didn't really help. I used my heating pad this morning but all day it has ached. There was pain while lifting, on elliptical, treadmill, while standing... And mobility is limited. Got an ice pack so going to try doing some cold/heat alternating and hope it improves soon though may have a rough night sleep on the couch tonight to limit myself to the right side.

Deadlift day

10 minutes on elliptical for warm up
    deadlift 2x8 @ 135, 1x8 @ 165 and with belt 1x10 @ 185 - Was going to go below 135 but had a plate count fail then couldn't find 2.5's in order to get the 190. The program says 189 but yeah, not going to get that exact.
    sldl off block 2x8 @ 135 - had to reset on the first set and did second with under/over grip
    yates row off block 2x8 @ 65 - Tried 95 but was a struggle. In pain on this one but tried to keep elbows in for it.
    wide grip lat pulldown - nope, too much pain
    one arm db row - 2x10 @ 25 - painful but managed to make it through with the light weight
    glute cable kickback 3x10 @ 20 - added this just cause
    30 minutes walking on treadmill with slight incline

So yeah, now I'm hope and studying or trying to make myself study. Fingers crossed shoulder doesn't hurt as much tomorrow as I'll be in pharmacy and don't need pain distraction.
  • jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    @DawnEmbers I hope that feels better soon! Do you always do elliptical for a warmup? I'm starting to think walking in from the cold and going right into warmup sets with the bar is not the best plan for me.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    CricketClover yes it does mean that!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squat-6X5X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing-32X 10 X 30

40lbs loss by May 27th Challenge
    Very short walk in extreme cold, snow and wind!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    jenxbowers wrote: »
    I hope that feels better soon! Do you always do elliptical for a warmup? I'm starting to think walking in from the cold and going right into warmup sets with the bar is not the best plan for me.

Thanks. I don't usually do anything other than warmup sets but that's because I usually lift after work and spend all shift on my feet, moving around doing stuff. Yesterday was my day off and I'd had a nap so figured a little cardio warm up would be a good idea. For the warmup I do like the elliptical since I do the treadmill after lifting some days when I have the time as it's something different for me.
  • chichidachimp
    chichidachimp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I decided to hire an olympic lifting coach for just one session so we could go over form. Well I had been doing my squats quite wrong and my deadlifts a little wrong. I have had to deload to work on the muscles I wasn't using with my bad form.

Also feeling like I could benefit from someone who will go over my form with me so I'm not doing things terribly wrong as I start to increase weight. Would you say it was worth the cost?
  • chichidachimp
    Options
    Ran 1.6mi WU/CD

StrongLifts
    Squats 5x5 90 (WU: 1x5 45, 1x3 65)
    OH 5x5 45
    DL 1x5 125 (WU: 1x5 85)
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I decided to hire an olympic lifting coach for just one session so we could go over form. Well I had been doing my squats quite wrong and my deadlifts a little wrong. I have had to deload to work on the muscles I wasn't using with my bad form.

Also feeling like I could benefit from someone who will go over my form with me so I'm not doing things terribly wrong as I start to increase weight. Would you say it was worth the cost?

Definitely worth the cost for me. I know cost will vary, I paid $100 for an hour. I couldn't afford that to hire him once a week long term, but for one time and maybe every now and then it is worth it. Plus, it got me into the "scary" gym and more importantly, into the powerlifting only room of the gym (joined said gym about 2 hours ago).
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    So after joining the new (to me) gym today:

5 mins on the row machine
    Squats: 5x45lb (working on form now)
    OHP: 5x37lb (interesting that I was doing 45 at different gym, betting that PF was wrong)
    DL: 5x105
  • jowaring
    jowaring Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Tonight's workout after warm up.
    Squats 5x5@113lbs.i finally moved up out of my comfort zone!
    Ohp 5x5@48.7 lbs.then because that felt good I did 1x5@50lbs.been stuck at 47 for ages so pleased to have moved up.
    Deadlift 1x7@150lbs.
  • jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @DawnEmbers thanks for the reply!

Update for me, I did bicep curls, 3x10 @ 10lb, at home yesterday while I rested my lower half. Gonna be doing just arms for a while, I think...

Saw the uni doctor and she said what I've got going on with my hip is called trochanteric bursitis, and she referred me to the chiropractor so I'm going Friday. All of this is included in my tuition which I never knew before!

Happy lifting everyone!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    so much stuff going on.
    Anyway, he trains at this "real" gym that isn't very well known so there are rarely any people there, I am going to go join it today. Super nervous, and excited at the same time.

i had the don't-wannas so bad when it came time to actually go to my first session at mr t's place. only the social cowardice made me follow through on that day [going easier than an inconsiderate short-notice cancellation]. and i was so high on it all when i came home that same night :smile: a gym where you're among like-minded people doing like-minded stuff is so beneficial.
    jenxbowers wrote: »
    Saw the uni doctor and she said what I've got going on with my hip is called trochanteric bursitis, and she referred me to the chiropractor so I'm going Friday. All of this is included in my tuition which I never knew before!

so glad you went and so glad it was 'just' bursitis . . . and so glad that it all led to you learning something you didn't know. that's really great.

my turn now. i almost didn't go to my 'serious' massage session, because boy-student and The Bum Zone. and i am so so so glad that i did. locked s.i. joint on the right from a rotated pelvis. yee hah, just what i thought all along \o/. so we spent the whole time doing 'mobilization' with only a little massage around the s.i. to make it more profitable . . . and i guess i'll be sore tomorrow but right now i feel so great. chugging fish oil pills with water and planning to go boil myself in the bath before bed.

and a small brag: what's the first thing everyone says when your hips just won't stabilize? "your glute medius muscles are weak". finger-waggy speech about desk jobs and a zillion clamshells for your penance. well, mr boy student actually gave me an actual functional test and i'm still gloating about the way that he said 'well, your glute meds are NOT weak.' otoh, my quads are yup, simply stupidly tight but i'm so high on myself for having glute meds of steel that i don't even care. i was damn sure weakness was not what was plaguing me here.

little giddy tonight. okay everyone, carry on then.
  • fanncy0626
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Stronglift Workout B
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 90
    OHP- 1X5X45/50, 5X5X 55
    DL- 1X5X95/105/115/120

Kettlebell Swing
    GobletSquats- 3X5X30
    Russian Kettlebell Swing- 16X10X30

40lbs loss by May 27th Challenge
    Walk daily! Very short 1 mile walk today because of extreme cold and wind! Blizzard like conditions.

My keto diet has been going awesome! I lost another .4 pounds! Because of trying to cut the rest of my fat, I am not trying to increase the amount of weight I am lifting until I hit my weight loss goal.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

and a small brag: what's the first thing everyone says when your hips just won't stabilize? "your glute medius muscles are weak". finger-waggy speech about desk jobs and a zillion clamshells for your penance. well, mr boy student actually gave me an actual functional test and i'm still gloating about the way that he said 'well, your glute meds are NOT weak.' otoh, my quads are yup, simply stupidly tight but i'm so high on myself for having glute meds of steel that i don't even care. i was damn sure weakness was not what was plaguing me here.

little giddy tonight. okay everyone, carry on then.

I'm pretty sure with the amount of biking you do that it's kind of a normal outcome there ;). I bike about once or twice a year and my butt is usually on fire for a week afterwards! lol (as are those tiny muscles near my knees on the inside, I have some knee valgus going on when I pedal, apparently xD)
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Ugh! Crowded gym was crowded. had to relocate three times to finish the workout! And I had to come home for the core stuff and hip mob (which I still haven't done >_>)

EMOTM x18 (rotating each minute, so 6 rounds of each)
    1. Double KB Squat Clean x6 (@2x30lbs)
    2. Push-ups x6 (because weaksauce now? I actually had to break 4/1/1 on the last round here)
    3. Broad jumps x6 (approximate distance was ~60 inches)

Then a 5 min AMRAP of:
    - burpees with vertical jump x 1, 2, 3, ...
    - ab-mat sit-ups x3, 6, 9, ...

Got through 5 rounds then did 3 burpees and collapsed on the 4th. I'm getting a *wee bit* better with them, but there's still work to doooo!

So yeah, here's to another 40 minutes of stretching and core work before I can shower. At least I had breakfast now xD
  • rhileyschubbygranny
    rhileyschubbygranny Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Today before work

Squats 5x5 100 lbs
    Deadlift 1x 105 lbs
    OHP - I did 3 types of shoulder exercises with 20 lb dumbbells instead

I am trying to lose a total of 65 lbs of fat. So far I have lost 9 of it but it is going very slowly (one pound per week). I find it impossible to keep my carb macro's in line.
  • Kittyfeliz
    Kittyfeliz Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Well, it's Wednesday and haven't had a workout all week and don't think I'm getting one today either, I have a kiddo with a bad stomach bug - he's been sick since Saturday. Finally doing a little better today but not well enough for the gym daycare. I feel like a pile of jelly.

Since we started (husband and I) we've only had 2 weeks where we could do all three workouts a week since this kid is sick constantly from preschool! And next week Hubs is out of town so I'm out of luck. But I did finally get a foam roller so I'm gonna work on figuring that out and try to improve my air squats so when we get back in the gym I can be better.
  • chichidachimp
    Options
    Stronglifts day off. Ran 6mi instead.
  • chichidachimp
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm a carb happy dieter. I've always loved carbs and hate to give them up. But I realize that protein helps recovery for weightlifting. I'm trying to work on that by focusing on my protein source first and then eating until satiety. Yesterday I chowed down on 2 chicken legs before eating my rice and beans for dinner. Today I added 2 protein scoops to my yogurt and I found I'm not starving at 11am like usual and got very full off 3/4 of my lunch.