Anyone with Hashi's or ANY Auto-Immune Condition...

Options
KnitOrMiss
KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
...would probably really benefit from the episode today in "The Thyroid Secret" documentary series. It's all about the gut and autoimmune reactions. thethyroidsecret.com It's active for another 3-4 hours. It's 12:32 pm central time currently.

Things I learned today:
  • The gut is only a single cell layer thick - the skin alone is 7 layers thick!!!
  • You can test NEGATIVE on antibodies tests and still have autoimmune thyroiditis.
  • 90% of people have been exposed to or had a minor case of Epstein-Barr virus.
  • The fluoride in our water alone can trigger an autoimmune reaction
  • WOBENZYM is amazing, apparently! @GaleHawkins - you were ahead of the curve! Can cut Hashi's and Grave's antibodies by HALF using protocols.
  • L-Glutamine helps in rebuilding gut lining...

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    so glad I don't have fluoride in my water
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Good info @KnitOrMiss.

We still buy Wobenzyme 800 count bottles 2-3 at the time for daily use making sure it is about 2 hours after eating and 1 hour before eating again to it can better get into the blood steam. If taken with food it is just a strong digestive enzyme package that should address any preexisting constipation later.

It was part of one of the many cancer protocols that I have self tested. It cost me a lot of money but I took 20 tables 4x daily for 30 days without any real side effects before the wife and a friend started using Wobenzyme per the label on the bottle.

It helped my joint pain and my friend states it really helps his gout. In cancer I read it strips off the cloaking layer that prevents the immune system from seeing it as a foreign body. Go to Amazon and other websites to read the reviews by others over time but do question what you read. I look for patterns that match up for all supplements that we use.

@tcunbeliever it is the Florine and Chlorine in the water when I eat out that concerns me more than the food.

At this point in time I think 99.9% of health issues starts with long term inflammation in the body. Anything that reduces one's C-reactive protein levels I see as being good. LCHF shut my pain levels greatly in just the first 30 days but I did not lose a pound until 45 days on this WOE.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    ...would probably really benefit from the episode today in "The Thyroid Secret" documentary series. It's all about the gut and autoimmune reactions. thethyroidsecret.com It's active for another 3-4 hours. It's 12:32 pm central time currently.

Things I learned today:
    • The gut is only a single cell layer thick - the skin alone is 7 layers thick!!!
    • You can test NEGATIVE on antibodies tests and still have autoimmune thyroiditis.
    • WOBENZYM is amazing, apparently! @GaleHawkins - you were ahead of the curve! Can cut Hashi's and Grave's antibodies by HALF using protocols.

Can I get a AMEN!
    Yep. These points also apply to other immune diseases as well. Thank the Lord, cuz someone is going crazy over here over there being no antibodies but still sick.
    SAnd that somebody bought L-glutamine today. And is ordering the Wobenzym later.
    I have a feeling I will be going temporarily paleo soon. Bleh.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this. I'm listening to it today!
    baconslave wrote: »

Things I learned today:

Can I get a AMEN!
    Yep. These points also apply to other immune diseases as well. Thank the Lord, cuz someone is going crazy over here over there being no antibodies but still sick.
    SAnd that somebody bought L-glutamine today. And is ordering the Wobenzym later.
    I have a feeling I will be going temporarily paleo soon. Bleh.

That is me. I have only ever tested positive for celiac disease. I test negative for hashimoto's but my thyroid is almost non-functioning. I take 180mcg per day of natural desiccated thyroid, which is pretty much a full replacement dose... but according to one of my doctors I don't have hashi's... my thyroid just stopped working.

Same with ITP. No autoantibodies diagnosed there either, but my platelets were almost killed off.

And there is my joint issues. It's better with a GF diet but my joints feel more like a 70 year old's than a 40 year old's. I hurt most of the time, but I had no positive autoimmune tests for it. Not even elevated crp or ana (most of the time). It's maddening because without positive tests, most doctors won't do a thing.

L-glutamine is a celiac's friend. I was on that for the first few years while recovering. I think it helped.

And I had mono about 2-3 years before my arthritis and thyroid issues started. I doubt it was coincidence.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Hashi's runs in my family but I've never be diagnosed or had issues, I keep on top of my thyroid nutrition...when I was mid-20s I started having constant joint pain...no swelling, no sign of arthritis in xrays, no problems on blood tests, but something has to be wrong if you hurt all the time, that's NOT normal...doctors had not clue and their only suggestion was pain killers...no thanks...started taking pychnogenol (proanthenols) every day...I'm not even sure when the pain went away because it just gradually faded...a few weeks, a few months, who knows...almost 20 years later I'm still taking it and still pain free...I stopped taking it for a few years and then I started getting joint pain in the winter again and went right back on it...kinda pricey to buy a big bottle, but works out for me to only $1.25 a day so totally worth every penny...heck, I spend more than that on my morning coffee...I get mine from lifeplus...1mg/pound of body weight is the treatment dosage, maintenance is less, but I stay at the treatment level...
  • hollyfoord
    hollyfoord Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Recently diagnosed with Cushing's Syndrome & waiting for a surgery date to remove the pituitary tumor. Been quoted a wait time of about 3 months, but the symptoms are driving me absolutely insane because the levels of cortisol in my blood mean I'm on a constant adrenaline rush and/or in a constant panic attack state that I can't escape because its chemically induced. Hormones are all over the place & screws up my metabolism.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @hollyfoord - sending all the hugs, as that has to SUCK.
  • baconslave
    Options
    @hollyfoord - sending all the hugs, as that has to SUCK.

Me too. P&PTs, dearie.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @tcunbeliever thanks for the heads up about Pychogenol for consideration. Sounds like it has a relative safe track record. I just order the Viva Labs brand since I like their Krill Oil better than any other of several brands that I have tired. The reviews were positive when taken for many different health issues.

webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-1019-pycnogenol.aspx?activeingredientid=1019

pycnogenol.com/home/
    This got my attention since this is my #1 objective at this point in my life.

"Pycnogenol® was also demonstrated to significantly lower the inflammatory marker C-reactive protein (CRP) by 72%"

• KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Yay! Just got notice that they'll be replaying this entire documentary series this weekend!

All 9 episodes will be available through a replay weekend March 11th and 12th where you can view all 9 episodes at once! View them here: http://thethyroidsecret.com/replay/
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I'm bummed I didn't see it until I passed the window but I appreciate your summary in the OP, since I have an autoimmune disease (MS).
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    rugged1529 wrote: »
    Hello

I was diagnosed with RA about 6 months ago. I kept getting flare ups in my knees (elbows hurt too). They started me on methotrexate which I hate because of side effects. When I discovered keto, I was doing it for weight loss but notice I was feeling better and I started reducing my medicine. Today I feel the best I've felt in months (maybe a couple years). My therapist also stated to me that my body would need to heal before losing significant weight. In any event I feel great. Weight Loss, now, seem to be a welcomed side effect.

@rugged1529 ... @GaleHawkins - since you avoided medications like this, do you have any suggestions with all your protocol studies? I know RA is a different beast than most, but I was just wondering... @anglyn1 ?
  • rugged1529
    rugged1529 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss I don't think I have anything else besides what was stated. I don't think I'm expert enough to give deep advice to be honest. @GaleHawkins I think I may be sleeping on the wobenzyme and I'm also going to look into the Pycnogenol as well. I bought the wobenzyme but it's sitting in my medicine/vitamin bucket.
  • rugged1529
    rugged1529 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    @baconslave Where can I see the series? (real question: do I have to buy it?)
  • baconslave
    edited March 2017
    Options
    rugged1529 wrote: »
    @baconslave Where can I see the series? (real question: do I have to buy it?)

Unfortunately, the window has expired to just view. You have to buy the series now (the link is in Knit's OP.)
    However, a cheaper option would be to find the books I mentioned via library, or if you have to buy, used copies from Amazon or other bookseller.

Often listening to the author's podcasts (they usually go on multiple when a book is coming out) and sometimes they will give a few actionable tidbits in those. The podcasts also help you know whether or not you would benefit from investing in the book.

You might check out Phoenix Helix and Autoimmune Wellness for multiple resources. I know at least one of those bloggers/authors have had RA and other immune diseases.

Sometimes author's will have autoimmune summits. Free to listen/watch for awhile. I'll post if there is another. But what I've said above, I have also heard there.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Wow, I didn't have time to read all that great info, but Dr. Axe (Dr. Woo as he is known to some folks) has a Leaky Gut Seminar that is mainly an advertisement for his program that costs $297, but he dropped some food info about supplements and types of leaky gut and such... It's free, but again, it's going on right now...

https://my.draxe.com/hlg-program
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the added info! And sure, @KnitOrMiss, more Knit Notes would be great. :)

How do you figure out what digestive enzymes to take?