Anyone with Hashi's or ANY Auto-Immune Condition...

13»

Replies

• rugged1529
    rugged1529 Posts: 95 Member
    @rugged1529 I just went to reorder the Viva brand but it is not now available on their website or Amazon so I just ordered 4 bottles of Healthy Origins Pycnogenol Veg Capsules, 100 mg, 120 Count. This will give us enough for a good test drive.

If my C-Reactive Protein (CRP) is down next test cycle I may order more. I sense due to very low pain levels after adding Poly MVA and Artemisinin to the Bob Beck protocol (not really big into the ionic silver and Ozone water yet) it may be hard for me to tell is going to make a huge difference I expect.

I do have times when Wobenzym is hard to source but many sources of food based supplements are seasonal.

If Pycnogenol is half as beneficial as the claims on Amazon it will be a keeper I expect.

I just got mine today. Let me know how it goes. I'll do the same.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    rugged1529 wrote: »
    @rugged1529 I just went to reorder the Viva brand but it is not now available on their website or Amazon so I just ordered 4 bottles of Healthy Origins Pycnogenol Veg Capsules, 100 mg, 120 Count. This will give us enough for a good test drive.

If my C-Reactive Protein (CRP) is down next test cycle I may order more. I sense due to very low pain levels after adding Poly MVA and Artemisinin to the Bob Beck protocol (not really big into the ionic silver and Ozone water yet) it may be hard for me to tell is going to make a huge difference I expect.

I do have times when Wobenzym is hard to source but many sources of food based supplements are seasonal.

If Pycnogenol is half as beneficial as the claims on Amazon it will be a keeper I expect.

I just got mine today. Let me know how it goes. I'll do the same.

@rugged1529 We received the 480 capsules mentioned above. Take 30 seconds and scan each link below to see health issues that Pycnogenol potentially may address at some level. I am excited to learn more about Pycnogenol's potential at my house.

Earlier in the week I had scanned The Inflammation Syndrome (2003) by Jack Challem so with the rain I started a detailed read of his book first thing today. Page 4 he mentions his personal experience with Pycnogenol. After digging on PubMed I found good research and when with 200 mg dosage that one study used in a brief lab project.
    https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1413525/
    Inhibition of NF-κB activation and MMP-9 secretion by plasma of human volunteers after ingestion of maritime pine bark extract (Pycnogenol)
    "Plasma samples statistically significantly inhibited matrix metalloproteinase 9 (MMP-9) release from human monocytes and NF-κB activation. Thus, we provide evidence that bioavailable active principles of Pycnogenol exert anti-inflammatory effects by inhibition of proinflammatory gene expression which is consistent with documented clinical observations."

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14990359/
    Activity of matrix metalloproteinase-9 is elevated in sera of patients with systemic lupus erythematosus.
    "...We discovered strong inhibitory effects of M1 and M2 toward the activity of MMP-1, MMP-2....The results of the present study suggest that MMP-9 plays a role in the pathogenesis of SLE."

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3858212/
    Matrix Metalloproteinase-9: Many Shades of Function in Cardiovascular Disease
    "...We discuss MMP-9 roles during inflammation and fibrosis in cardiovascular disease. ..."
    "...In this review, we summarized and discussed the roles of MMP-9 in normal development and in multiple cardiovascular diseases, including hypertension, atherosclerosis, MI, and HF. The ability of currently used medications in cardiac disease to directly or indirectly affect the production and activity of MMP-9 suggests that this metalloproteinase plays a key role in many of the molecular mechanisms underlying these pathophysiological conditions..."

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15863210
    Pycnogenol induces differentiation and apoptosis in human promyeloid leukemia HL-60 cells.
    "... In conclusion, Pycnogenol induced differentiation and apoptosis in leukemia cells. Our data suggest that Pycnogenol could serve as a potent cancer chemopreventive or chemotherapeutic agent for human leukemia...."
  • rugged1529
    rugged1529 Posts: 95 Member
    baconslave wrote: »
    Gosh there was so much information.
    Having watched both the autoimmunity series (Betrayal) and this series, there is a LOT of overlap of root causes. In the Q&A, Dr. Wentz mentioned a new book she was going to put out soon that covers Root Cause protocols for Hasimotos and Graves. The main causes are Leaky Gut, Hidden Infections, Food Sensitivities, Toxins, and Stress. I'm willing to bet that once that resource comes out, autoimmune patients can use it to address their own root causes, since, as I mentioned, the root causes overlap quite a bit. I've done a lot of research. The basis of many many remissions in various autoimmune disease are discovering root causes and addressing them.

In the mean time...
    causes:
    Leaky Gut:
    food sensitivities which cause intestinal permeability allowing food proteins which sometimes look like body tissues to get into the bloodstream causing an autoimmune reaction due to molecular mimicry. 80% are caused by bad glutens (wheat gluten), dairy, and soy. The rest could be uncovered by a strict food elimination AIP protocol which goes further to uncover egg, seed, nut, coffee, chocolate, nightshade veggies, and other sensitivities missed by protocols like Paleo.

Nutrient deficiencies: caused by LOW stomach acid which keeps nutrients from being broken down into absorbable forms. Also leaky gut, food sensitivities, and infections can keep you from absorbing nutrients.

SIBO: small intestinal bacterial overgrowth

Candida or Parasites

Toxins: BPA, bad chemicals from personal care products accidentally ingested, bad chemicals in foods, fluoride, and etc. Dental amalgams can poison you with mercury. Some foods are contaminated just from living on this trashed earth of ours. So watch food quality as best you can. If you can't, support liver function with something like N-aceytl cysteine (NAC) supplements.

Infections: like Candida, h. pylori, latent Epstein-Barr, or parasites

Toxins:
    Just like ingesting bad chemicals from products, you can aspirate by breathing and absorb through the skin these chemicals and pollutants.

Stress:
    A stressful life which includes exposure to the above. That's stress to the body as well. Get enough sleep (lack of sleep is a stressor.) Too much caffeine or alcohol are stressors.

So as you can see, a lot of this ties back into the GUT.
    What doesn't falls into the internal or external stress category.

So using your library to look at books on autoimmune protocols (OVERDRIVE being one resource) for Dr. Amy Meyers Autoimmune or Thyroid protocol, Dr. Tom O'Bryan has a book. Sarah Ballantyne. Dr. Wentz's current book on Hashimoto's and the root causes. Or listen to autoimmune podcasts by these drs. and similar can get you the information you want.

If you have any specific questions, on say supplement recs, I might be able to remember a few.

Remember that EVERY HUMAN (and this is the exact language used in studies that support this) gets temporary intestinal permeability from gluten ingestion. Every. Human. Normal people heals damage quickly. The problem is whether or not you are genetically predisposed to a sensitivity to gluten as to whether or not your gut can recover quickly enough to prevent leaky gut to the degree that causes an autoimmune reaction. Gluten proteins look a lot like body tissue proteins. Once the sentinels are activated, your immune system will attack anything that looks like them. (Molecular mimicry). Once the gut is breached, other foods get into the blood. Some of those sensitivities can be overcome once leaky gut is fixed and the immune system calms, but gluten intolerance is forever. Your body remembers gluten. Other foods it can sometimes eventually forget if the gut is fixed. This is why you should wait until you've done an exhaustive elimination and reintroduction before having any expensive blood or stool labs done. Your body will become sensitive to many many foods while the floodgates are still open. When you close them for awhile, then you'll get more accurate readings. That's the time to do it: when you think you have eliminated everything, but still have symptoms. That's when you jump down more rare rabbitholes. This avoids wasting time and money (and such waste is more stress, right? :wink:

Heal the gut by: staying away from gluten. Every exposure pisses off the immune system for up to 3 months, sometimes more. Take L-glutamine (1tsp three times daily), collagen (bone broth or from hydrolyzed collagen), digestive enzymes, good probiotics (a 10-20 or 15-20 broad spectrum one is good, fermented foods (non-dairy yogurt, kimchi, sauerkraut, kefir), and perhaps Betaine HCl with pepsin. The enzymes and the Betaine help you digest your food into an easier digested form to aid in healing of the gut lining which also helps you absorb more nutrients. If you suspect candida or SIBO or parasites, being proactive with oregano oil supplements or saccromyces boulardii (yeast based probiotic) can help, but these are something that may require testing. And if you determine SIBO may actually be the cause, you'll need to ditch any lactobacillus probiotics, and focus on soil-based probiotics and s. boulardii. Doctors have antibiotics they can try, but these are things you can do on your own.

If you apply these and still get stuck, say improve but not 100%, or just plain not enough for you, you'll need a naturopathic doctor, integrative doc, or functional medicine practioner to help. For example if you do an elimination protocol and heal your gut permeability (you think) but there are still some nagging symptoms, then you might need help from that kind of practitioner.

This is just my take-aways from it all. I'm certain I've forgotten something.
    Pardon any typos, I'm a busy bacon today.

I can't believe I'm just not reading this. I could of started this at least two weeks ago. Anyone have any personal success with these steps that have (or had) auto-immune issues?
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    I sure wish they would come up with a better term than 'Leaky Gut'. Is there a medical term for that?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,016 Member
    I sure wish they would come up with a better term than 'Leaky Gut'. Is there a medical term for that?

Yes. Intestinal permeability.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,016 Member
    edited March 2017
    FYT:
    Dr. Wentz's newet book I mentioned above "The Hashimoto's Protocol" is now available for purchase.
    http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=P5tFn&m=gfWXNpbXJjDar7k&b=Eoz4DfM2RDzOvCoh0OmQGg

As I mentioned above, since other autoimmune conditions and Hashimoto's have many similar root causes, this book might be valuable for other autoimmunity sufferers.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Someone suggested another book to me... The Paleo Thyroid Solution, by Elle Russ. I got the Kindle version yesterday, and am just starting it, plus the free resources from Dr. Wentz...
  • GaleHawkins
    baconslave wrote: »

Yes. Intestinal permeability.

Non red neck for Leaky Gut :)
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    3 syllables instead of 10.... just easier, lol.
  • GaleHawkins
    When I learned most likely all autoammunity diseases start due to a leaking gut it helped me to change my WOE forever.