Are Work Do's worth it

Options
TravellerRay
TravellerRay Posts: 94 Member
I used to enjoy the work do's. Have a few drinks, chat and vent a bit. Tried this last night with no alcohol and trying to keep to this woe. My conclusion is the alcohol used to disguise how bad the food was, seriously don't think they make many salads.

And once you eliminate the carb heavy foods you have about 2 items to choose from. I was left hungry and thinking I much rather have gone to the gym.

Now I have another one next week, sigh

Ray

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @TravellerRay - If the bonding with coworkers and such is worth it, it might be worth noshing on some nuts before heading down, or making a butter coffee or something... It really depends. Also, if there is an online menu, some old-timers here might be able to suggest some more "out of the box" ideas on the meals...
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I usually stick with a glass of chardonnay and nibble on part of an appetizer, then eat real food when I get home.
  • TravellerRay
    TravellerRay Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @TravellerRay - If the bonding with coworkers and such is worth it, it might be worth noshing on some nuts before heading down, or making a butter coffee or something... It really depends. Also, if there is an online menu, some old-timers here might be able to suggest some more "out of the box" ideas on the meals...

I think the best approach would have been to go in the kitchen and cook it myself :)
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    After going keto, I noticed craving for alcohol diminished dramatically. I had been a heavy drinker in my youth, but for the last 15 years or so, I had just had 1-3 drinks nearly every night. Now, there is just not much of an appeal.

Listening to one of the Keto Talk episodes from last year, this topic came up and the doc explained this was not that uncommon and the neurology behind it.

I say that to say, it is not just the food you realize is less than good once you remove the alcohol. Frequently you realize the asinine quality of the conversations at these events. I realized if I needed to go for some reason, I try to stay for as short a time as is acceptable.

As far as eating goes, since I do IF, when I travel or have things like this, I sometimes adjust to eating breakfast and lunch and not dinner. If I eat properly earlier, not eating dinner is not a problem.
  • Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Chicken Wings and Ranch!
    That is my go to when we are out. And I love that it makes me feel like I can still indulge in "pub food" but stick to keto.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    You don't necessarily have to avoid alcohol at these events unless you want to. Most liquors have zero carbs, so tequila on the rocks with a twist is my go-to beverage for work happy hours. I just have to be careful that the inhibition-lowering effect of alcohol doesn't lead me to indulge in the garlic fries or potato skins!
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    This reminded me of the woman who said she rarely drank because she didn't like drinking in front of her kids and if your kids aren't around who needs it? I stopped drinking completely after retiring, because if you aren't around your co-workers, who needs it? Work do's were worse than work because you were supposed to be having fun.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Work do's can be so fraught with the peril of office politics. Most of the time it's not worth it. I've only worked in a couple jobs where hanging with work buddies was any fun and they were VERY small businesses.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    I miss the old work happy hours. It didn't matter that the conversations were riddled with juvenile invective and the closest thing to keto food was a fork or maybe a urinal disinfectant cake (no one serves real lemon tarts anymore). We all toiled for and alongside the same cast of sneaks and knuckleheads, but getting together without them was always entertaining.

These days, when I go out with friends, I ask how much a hunk of naked salmon would be (between $4 and $20, it turns out) and nurse maybe one dinky beer or gin OTR. Any more than that and I can't find my *kitten* keys, let alone my car.... :s
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I don't mind a drink or two at work do's. (I need them to be sociable around them lol) I Normally stay clear of the food though. I just ensure I order non carb drinks and go home pretty early.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I just order a diet pepsi. I'm a celiac so ordering food is a risk I won't take at a pub. Not eating felt a bit odd at first but that was just in my head. No one really cared if I ate or not.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I think the actual term 'do' as in a 'get together' or casual party is a UK term which is why it's pretty Canadian too. Another is bash (a little more raucous 'do') or 'shindig'.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Huh. I had no idea those were British (and Canadian) terms.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    Somewhat related question: is the term "work do" a non-American term? Or am I just too blue collar to have been in jobs where that is a thing?

Haha I was wondering this also lol.

Also I second the wings and ranch idea. Or a bunless burger. Those are my go tos. I don't care to be the person who doesn't eat anything if nothing suitable is to be found however.
  • BedsideTableKangaroo
    BedsideTableKangaroo Posts: 736 Member
    Options

interesting...i've never heard the term either.
  • Just_Eric
    Just_Eric Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I googled it because I found myself thinking, "People say this? How is everyone acting like they know exactly what the Hell Ray is talking about?"
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I eat before work do's, have a drink or two then leave. Being gluten intolerant means nobody ever wonders why I don't touch the food provided.