Calorie Counter

Message Boards Groups OMAD Revolution!
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

My weight loss saga - Jim

1568101125

Replies

  • jvcinvjvcinv Member Posts: 504 Member Member Posts: 504 Member
    @brendagaudette @mikseyniha @1MADGIRL , thank you for the comments.

    @amflautist I'm proud of that chart and glad to know that it helps you.
    Knowing that the reason it exists is primarily due to having adopted various fasting strategies and upgrading the quality of food that I eat boggles my mind.
  • amflautistamflautist Member, Premium Posts: 998 Member Member, Premium Posts: 998 Member
    jvcinv wrote: »
    @amflautist I'm proud of that chart and glad to know that it helps you.
    Knowing that the reason it exists is primarily due to having adopted various fasting strategies and upgrading the quality of food that I eat boggles my mind.

    Upgrading the quality of food you eat. I'm interested in what you have done! I am trying to develop a strategy, a life style, a sense of whether I am going to emphasize veggies, or protein - fish. I'm 76 right now. I know that I need to lose weight - at least another 20#, but after that I am most interested in avoiding heart disease and cancer. So what is my food plan going to be? Right now I am watching Jason Fung's video (#5 of 6),

    The Aetiology of Obesity #5: Diet and Disease, to help me decide. I don't think that the HFLC modes (Steak, steak, steak) of some of my colleagues/friends here at OMAD is right for me. But what is? Still searching.

    What have you done to "upgrade the quality of food you eat"?
  • jvcinvjvcinv Member Posts: 504 Member Member Posts: 504 Member
    What I meant by upgrading the food I eat is that I've replaced highly processed, high caloric density foods with fresh, high nutrient dense foods.
    Out are fast food, processed foods from boxes or frozen, sweets, sugary drinks.
    In are fresh vegetables, leafy greens, some fruit and animal protein (essentially meat fish eggs, dairy, poultry).
    My motto is that I only eat what comes directly from a plant or animal, no middleman. That is of course for the most part, there are exceptions.
    I would say it's roughly like a HFLC diet, in fact if I'm looking for a recipe that is the heading I would search under. But I'd also say that I'm not extreme about either end of it, the HF or the LC. I just try to keep it in that direction.

    For me this was a huge upgrade because formerly my diet was fast food, frozen food, 3-5 cokes a day, plenty of bread, sweets, pasta, potatoes, heavy sauces, gravies, etc. You get the idea.

    The funny thing is I enjoy the food I eat now more than what I used to eat. I now plan my diet whereas before I would eat out of convenience and habit, without thinking too much about it.

    Regarding Jason Fung, I read his blog weekly for all the updates, I've watched all his videos too.
    It was while reading his book The Obesity Code when I had many "AHA!" moments regarding intermittent fasting, dieting and weight loss. His explanations clicked with me and I just knew it was the right path to go down. It was the first time I had heard of eating once a day. I thought it would suit me well and now it's like second nature.
  • shans34shans34 Member Posts: 535 Member Member Posts: 535 Member
    I love the direction your life has taken. Though I'm OMAD, I'm still working on eating as fresh as possible. With a large family and many commitments, convenience often over takes everything else! Good job in all your doing! Such a huge inspiration to me.
  • blambo61blambo61 Member Posts: 4,372 Member Member Posts: 4,372 Member
    Way to go Jim! You will be an inspiration to a lot of people like Joe!
    edited May 2017
  • jvcinvjvcinv Member Posts: 504 Member Member Posts: 504 Member
    WK........ Weight.....Week Chg.....Total......To Reach Goal
    28.............250.................-3...........-102..............70
    29.............248.................-2...........-104..............68
    30.............243.................-5...........-109..............63
    31.............241.................-2...........-111..............61
    32.............240.5...........-0.5...........-111.5...........60.5
    33.............236..............-4.5...........-116..............56....(partial fasting)
    34.............221.5.........-14.5...........-130.............41.5 (fasting)
    34.............219..............-2.5...........-132.5..........39.... (partial fasting)
    35.............224.5..........+5.5...........-127.............44.5. (fasting recovery)
    36.............221.5...........-3..............-130.............41.5. (6/1)
    37.............217..............-4.5...........-134.5..........37.... (5/2)

    Well I've already fiddled with my new plan as circumstances at work caused me to take two fasting days this week.
    They weren't on consecutive days but I'm seeing results that I'm very happy with so I'm going to stick with it.
    Thursday and Friday I'll fast (71 hours) and then eat regular OMAD style the other five days.
    I have a feeling that this is going to be really effective, at least based on what I've seen so far.
    Another thing that makes me happy today is that at 217 I've again reached the low point I was at at the end of my recent 11 day fast. So I've erased all the post-fast weight gain. Another way to put it is I'm at a weight I haven't seen for 20 years.
  • shans34shans34 Member Posts: 535 Member Member Posts: 535 Member
    Great job! You are doing fantastic!
  • mikseynihamikseyniha Member Posts: 442 Member Member Posts: 442 Member
    Congratulations on your new low point :smile:
  • wsandy8512wsandy8512 Member Posts: 1,897 Member Member Posts: 1,897 Member
    That's great, Jim!!
  • amflautistamflautist Member, Premium Posts: 998 Member Member, Premium Posts: 998 Member
    Wonderful news!! Congratulations. I admire your strategy and your successes.
  • Brendalea69Brendalea69 Member Posts: 3,735 Member Member Posts: 3,735 Member
    You are doing sooo good :)
  • blambo61blambo61 Member Posts: 4,372 Member Member Posts: 4,372 Member
    Your really taking it off! Congrats.
  • 1MADGIRL1MADGIRL Member Posts: 836 Member Member Posts: 836 Member
    jvcinv wrote: »
    WK........ Weight.....Week Chg.....Total......To Reach Goal
    28.............250.................-3...........-102..............70
    29.............248.................-2...........-104..............68
    30.............243.................-5...........-109..............63
    31.............241.................-2...........-111..............61
    32.............240.5...........-0.5...........-111.5...........60.5
    33.............236..............-4.5...........-116..............56....(partial fasting)
    34.............221.5.........-14.5...........-130.............41.5 (fasting)
    34.............219..............-2.5...........-132.5..........39.... (partial fasting)
    35.............224.5..........+5.5...........-127.............44.5. (fasting recovery)
    36.............221.5...........-3..............-130.............41.5. (6/1)
    37.............217..............-4.5...........-134.5..........37.... (5/2)

    Well I've already fiddled with my new plan as circumstances at work caused me to take two fasting days this week.
    They weren't on consecutive days but I'm seeing results that I'm very happy with so I'm going to stick with it.
    Thursday and Friday I'll fast (71 hours) and then eat regular OMAD style the other five days.
    I have a feeling that this is going to be really effective, at least based on what I've seen so far.
    Another thing that makes me happy today is that at 217 I've again reached the low point I was at at the end of my recent 11 day fast. So I've erased all the post-fast weight gain. Another way to put it is I'm at a weight I haven't seen for 20 years.

    134 pounds gone? AMAZING!!

    Just 22% of your goal left!

    78% COMPLETED! YOU ARE AWESOME!
  • jvcinvjvcinv Member Posts: 504 Member Member Posts: 504 Member
    WK........ Weight.....Week Chg.....Total......To Reach Goal
    28.............250.................-3...........-102..............70
    29.............248.................-2...........-104..............68
    30.............243.................-5...........-109..............63
    31.............241.................-2...........-111..............61
    32.............240.5...........-0.5...........-111.5...........60.5
    33.............236..............-4.5...........-116..............56....(partial fasting)
    34.............221.5.........-14.5...........-130.............41.5 (fasting)
    34.............219..............-2.5...........-132.5..........39.... (partial fasting)
    35.............224.5..........+5.5...........-127.............44.5. (fasting recovery)
    36.............221.5...........-3..............-130.............41.5. (6:1)
    37.............217..............-4.5...........-134.5..........37.... (5:2)
    38.............213.5...........-3.5...........-138.............33.5. (5:2)

    Pleased with the results this week although I think I will make some tweaks.
    Need to eat a little more on my eating days and back off on the exercise intensity on fasting days.
    Tried to jog for an hour yesterday in 85 degree heat after about 68 hours with no food.
    I made it about 45 minutes but got overheated and walked home. Not enough in the tank for that kind of stuff.
    But I had a feast last night and today will try again to see how it goes, this time with fuel in the tank.
  • wsandy8512wsandy8512 Member Posts: 1,897 Member Member Posts: 1,897 Member
    Your stats look awesome, Jim! Always good to tweak as needed as well. Way to go :)
  • jvcinvjvcinv Member Posts: 504 Member Member Posts: 504 Member
    Thanks Sandy.
    I just completed that 1 hr run. Cooler in the morning and after a big meal = no problem.
    I push myself sometimes during this process, but listen to my body in order to be mindful of my limits.
  • blambo61blambo61 Member Posts: 4,372 Member Member Posts: 4,372 Member
    How often are you running? you seemed to have jumped into it quick (60-min is a good run)!
  • jvcinvjvcinv Member Posts: 504 Member Member Posts: 504 Member
    blambo61 wrote: »
    How often are you running? you seemed to have jumped into it quick (60-min is a good run)!
    Not so quick really. I started in February walking twice a week, and week after week began working in gradually more and more jogging. I'm currently at 4 times a week, usually about 45 minutes total and 80/20 jogging to walking. Once a week I like to stretch it out a bit, that's where the hour comes in.
    I've always been pretty good on the endurance side of things, I even ran a marathon in '96.

  • minigrrllminigrrll Member Posts: 1,590 Member Member Posts: 1,590 Member
    Great result...

    45 mins is pretty good in the heat!
  • blambo61blambo61 Member Posts: 4,372 Member Member Posts: 4,372 Member
    jvcinv wrote: »
    blambo61 wrote: »
    How often are you running? you seemed to have jumped into it quick (60-min is a good run)!
    Not so quick really. I started in February walking twice a week, and week after week began working in gradually more and more jogging. I'm currently at 4 times a week, usually about 45 minutes total and 80/20 jogging to walking. Once a week I like to stretch it out a bit, that's where the hour comes in.
    I've always been pretty good on the endurance side of things, I even ran a marathon in '96.
    jvcinv wrote: »
    blambo61 wrote: »
    How often are you running? you seemed to have jumped into it quick (60-min is a good run)!
    Not so quick really. I started in February walking twice a week, and week after week began working in gradually more and more jogging. I'm currently at 4 times a week, usually about 45 minutes total and 80/20 jogging to walking. Once a week I like to stretch it out a bit, that's where the hour comes in.
    I've always been pretty good on the endurance side of things, I even ran a marathon in '96.

    Very good! Didn't realize you did all that buildup. You should be good! I'm at about 40-45 min 3xweek right now and am building up to an hour 3xweek. I am running hard though up hills right now when I run. Good luck!
Sign In or Register to comment.