Anyone else afraid of alcohol?

Options
JohnnyLowCarb
JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
edited April 2017 in Social Groups
Before getting into Ketosis, I would have a few beers on the weekend for sure. Since starting the Keto WOE on Jan 2nd I have a 18 pack of Michelob Ultra that I bought at the start (because I was told and it does have low carb) with 17 left. From all my study alcohol will go direct to the liver with no buffer, making you drunker faster, hangover potential is much higher (on less) and will kick you out of Ketosis for a bit. So all that makes me afraid to indulge. Anyone else feeling the same?

Replies

• TravellerRay
    TravellerRay Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have cut way back. Now I only have one day a week where I will have a few drinks and I feel the effects much quicker. I am more worried about the number of calories and see alcohol as an obstacle to achieving my weight loss goal.

I also find that by going to the gym straight from work, I change the pattern. I used to drink in my hotel room. Now I don't have time :)
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm afraid to drink for all of those reasons too, but I do imbibe occasionally. I don't react well to beer now that I'm low carb, though. I prefer mixed drinks or red wine. For mixed drinks I tend to have gin and diet tonic, vodka and diet tonic, or whiskey and diet cola. I think the kick out of ketosis is pretty brief, so for me there's not much of a stall in weight loss except that when I'm drinking it's harder to avoid the temptation of carby foods. I also keep pickle juice on hand and drink tons of water before bed to avoid hangovers.
  • marthafox1
    marthafox1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Yup. Same as you - keto since new year and no alcohol. I'm quite happy with fizzy water (san pellegreno) with its added minerals. Just too afraid to drink alcohol now (I have a marathon on Sunday so may have a shandy after that).
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Haha, I just said there's not much of a stall but I'm currently in an 18-month stall. But it's not because of alcohol. I just had to clarify. :)
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    Options
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I have wine occasionally (low carb, not the sweet ones), gluten-free, so as much as I love beer it doesn't love me back...very rarely I will have hard cider
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Having had two alcoholics in my direct family, alcohol scares the bejeezus out of me, but for entirely different reasons. Safe to say as a teetotaller, I have no problems abstaining.....
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    As I have posted on other threads, I have become quite the light weight since going keto. More importantly, craving for alcohol has pretty much gone completely. Really, the only time since going keto that alcohol sounded good was when I tried to watch the presidential debates during the fall. Even with alcohol I was unsuccessful at making it all the way through any of them.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    @cstehansen I would imagine doing that would actually drive any sane person to drink!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Having had two alcoholics in my direct family, alcohol scares the bejeezus out of me, but for entirely different reasons. Safe to say as a teetotaller, I have no problems abstaining.....

I'm very much in the same boat as @AlexandraCarlyle is here. My father is a full blown (recovering?) alcoholic, and I've always had addictive tendencies, but thankfully, due to some events that happened in my youth, I have a full on mental block with it. I have, a few times in my younger years, started to get the barest hints of a buzz, continued drinking, and ended up vomiting or going to sleep before achieving any measure of feeling good from it.

Because of that, it's incredibly easy for me to abstain. But still, it scares me. I still get that feeling at the end of (or in the middle of) a hellaciously stressful day of wanting to drink until I forget my worries, etc. It's a kneejerk reaction, from I don't know where. But I joke that I either want to eat my body weight worth of [insert favorite comfort food here] or drink my weight in booze to forget. I wish I could nullify that stress response, but it stays with me.

I even declined a toasting drink this past New Year's. I'm thankful to be the permanent designated driver amongst my friends. Leaves me a built-in excuse to not drink or be pressured by others to socially drink...
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @cstehansen I would imagine doing that would actually drive any sane person to drink!
    cstehansen wrote: »
    As I have posted on other threads, I have become quite the light weight since going keto. More importantly, craving for alcohol has pretty much gone completely. Really, the only time since going keto that alcohol sounded good was when I tried to watch the presidential debates during the fall. Even with alcohol I was unsuccessful at making it all the way through any of them.

HA! My guy and I made it through the debates by joking about drinking games (and dying from the sheer volume of alcohol that would have been necessary, regardless of the game) and about our neighbor, whose political views are on the opposite end of the spectrum from us, but yes, it was still painful to watch. I got up and cooked my way through some of the debates! LOL
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options

Same here, only its a whole family of alcoholics and then I married into one as well. I will have a drink maybe once every 2-3 years, usually at New Year's. Usually surrounded by people reminding me why I don't drink more often.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I'm very much in the same boat as @AlexandraCarlyle is here. ...

<snip>

...I'm thankful to be the permanent designated driver amongst my friends. Leaves me a built-in excuse to not drink or be pressured by others to socially drink...

....Shame we can't 'like' and other selections at the same time... consider 'insightful' and 'inspiring' selected, too! :)

• mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    At various times, when I've had an aggressive or "jump start" type goal I've cut out alcohol with much success. Currently, like everything in my health journey I try to simply "make good choices". I do enjoy a glass of wine and have some wonderful friends in the micro brew scene here so its not a part of my life I look to cut out entirely but I have shifted my preferences (I taste their beers now rather than drinking 16oz) and I also recognize that a glass of wine to "unwind" at 9pm at home in my jammies generally leads me to make less than stellar food choices.

Generally, I do not view anything as off limits.Thats a mindset that doesnt work for me though I realize a hardline approach is necessary for some.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »
    At various times, when I've had an aggressive or "jump start" type goal I've cut out alcohol with much success. Currently, like everything in my health journey I try to simply "make good choices". I do enjoy a glass of wine and have some wonderful friends in the micro brew scene here so its not a part of my life I look to cut out entirely but I have shifted my preferences (I taste their beers now rather than drinking 16oz) and I also recognize that a glass of wine to "unwind" at 9pm at home in my jammies generally leads me to make less than stellar food choices.

Generally, I do not view anything as off limits.Thats a mindset that doesnt work for me though I realize a hardline approach is necessary for some.

I couldn't agree more with this last part. It is definitely not off limits. It has just changed from a habit of 1-2 a night just because I always do to something that has to be intentional. Since the craving isn't there (outside of thinking it might help to get through certain situations like mentioned above), then it just doesn't happen much.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I can't drink as much as I did before this WOE. I have never been a big drinker, I do one glass of wine now instead of two/three, a few times a week, not daily. But I am not afraid of alcohol. Your body burns it before fat, so it will slow things down a bit weight loss wise.

But I have decided I have given up enough of my vices, wine and chocolate are the only ones left. I make chocolate fat bombs now, no store bought stuff at all.

I can't image my life without the occasional glass of wine on a sunny day watching the sunset with DH.
  • Just_Eric
    Just_Eric Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Only with respect to my decision making.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    Options
    Awesome posts guys! I learn everyday from you guys/gals! Can you just call everyone guys now? See ya
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    johnnylew wrote: »
    Awesome posts guys! I learn everyday from you guys/gals! Can you just call everyone guys now? See ya

In these particular parts, it's probably safe...

PS. I prefer guys/dolls, but that's my age showing.