Anyone else afraid of alcohol?

Options
2»

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I decided a number of years ago that alcohol fell in the wrong place on the cost-vs-benefit scale for me and I stopped. I remember at one point, my doctor (10 years ago maybe) asking how much I drank. I said I had averaged 3 bottles of beer annually for several years. The truth is that I had six bottles of beer that I put down half finished. There would be some social event every couple of months that seemed to have alcohol as an important factor. I would get one and nurse it to be sociable.

In the interests of full disclosure, I do ablutions at the altar, and so I do consume what is left in the chalice each time I celebrate Holy Communion. This probably adds up to several ounces a week. I went to an appointment with a new ophthalmologist recently and tried to explain all this so I would know how to fill out the forms with patient info. They said this qualified as a "non-drinker."
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »
    I decided a number of years ago that alcohol fell in the wrong place on the cost-vs-benefit scale for me and I stopped. I remember at one point, my doctor (10 years ago maybe) asking how much I drank. I said I had averaged 3 bottles of beer annually for several years. The truth is that I had six bottles of beer that I put down half finished. There would be some social event every couple of months that seemed to have alcohol as an important factor. I would get one and nurse it to be sociable.

In the interests of full disclosure, I do ablutions at the altar, and so I do consume what is left in the chalice each time I celebrate Holy Communion. This probably adds up to several ounces a week. I went to an appointment with a new ophthalmologist recently and tried to explain all this so I would know how to fill out the forms with patient info. They said this qualified as a "non-drinker."

I had to explain in a Methodist church recently why I didn't queue up for communion. I said as politely as possible that I'd reconsider once they start serving insulin with the sweetened grape juice and white bread.....
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

I had to explain in a Methodist church recently why I didn't queue up for communion. I said as politely as possible that I'd reconsider once they start serving insulin with the sweetened grape juice and white bread.....

The Welch's they serve at the Methodist Church is really sweet. You might as well put a sugar cube on your tongue. We use wine at least...

• RalfLott
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »

The Welch's they serve at the Methodist Church is really sweet. You might as well put a sugar cube on your tongue. We use wine at least...

Bingo! I sometimes get roped into playing for service, and the pastor still comes over and offers me the BG spikers. I manage not to smart off about not being a hummingbird, but it's hard sometimes.
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I gave up alcohol, its just not worth it to me when I have 100 plus pounds to lose. There is alcohol with no carbs but beer was my favorite and its basically liquid carbs. I haven't had a drink for about 6 months, I'm OK with that.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Nope
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    For church we too use grape juice and white bread, for the very small amount I take it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I think I should clarify my response above. I'm not afraid of the alcohol itself. I think it is more of my passionate and intense response that worries me. It's just another coping technique, and I don't like depending on those, as they are never a winning situation.

I agree that I don't really consider anything hard and fast off the table permanently, but some things are better left reduced in quantity and frequency...
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Ok so "afraid" might have been an extreme word. But man do I not want to even try anything right now that would mess up my achievements.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @johnnylew - no, I think afraid is a perfect word here. Just the way I used it in my initial response was incorrect to my meaning/intention.
  • nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'm not "afraid" of alcohol...but I definitely need to be more aware when drinking now days. I've never been much for sweet drinks, so even when not following lchf, I tend to lean towards alcohol on the rocks or just with seltzer rather than beer/wine/fancy cocktails.

The difference now is that a demon rises within after a few drinks and I want to throw any edible morsel down my face. So I need to be prepared with appropriate snacks...usually cheese/sausage/pork rinds/salsa/or adding extra olives to my dirty martini will help.

I used to drink weekly, that's now slowed down...but that's mostly because I've been less social. I'm sure once warm weather returns, drinking frequency will rise...I am in WI after all. My tolerance has been hit or miss though now, which is where that awareness comes into play. I think I need to adopt the habit of chasing each drink with a glass of water, because sometimes I can drink like I used to and other times it hits me half way through my first drink.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    nikoba wrote: »
    I'm not "afraid" of alcohol...but I definitely need to be more aware when drinking now days. I've never been much for sweet drinks, so even when not following lchf, I tend to lean towards alcohol on the rocks or just with seltzer rather than beer/wine/fancy cocktails.

The difference now is that a demon rises within after a few drinks and I want to throw any edible morsel down my face. So I need to be prepared with appropriate snacks...usually cheese/sausage/pork rinds/salsa/or adding extra olives to my dirty martini will help.

I used to drink weekly, that's now slowed down...but that's mostly because I've been less social. I'm sure once warm weather returns, drinking frequency will rise...I am in WI after all. My tolerance has been hit or miss though now, which is where that awareness comes into play. I think I need to adopt the habit of chasing each drink with a glass of water, because sometimes I can drink like I used to and other times it hits me half way through my first drink.

You can also stuff those olives with chunks of gorgonzola then skewer them with shrimp or chunks of salmon.... That and the H2O interlacing ought to do the trick.
  • nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    You can also stuff those olives with chunks of gorgonzola then skewer them with shrimp or chunks of salmon.... That and the H2O interlacing ought to do the trick.

oh.my.gawd....I've had the cheese stuffed olives before, but adding some cocktail shrimp sounds awesome. Especially when I make my dirty martini spicy with some hot sauce. Mmm...thank you!

• RalfLott
    edited April 2017
    Options
    nikoba wrote: »

oh.my.gawd....I've had the cheese stuffed olives before, but adding some cocktail shrimp sounds awesome. Especially when I make my dirty martini spicy with some hot sauce. Mmm...thank you!

Doh! :open_mouth: hot sauce - of course!
  • LizinLowell
    LizinLowell Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I had just started to lose weight after starting the Keto diet about 3 weeks ago. Then I had tequila in coconut milk with lime & stevia, which was pretty good! I gained a pound & stalled out for almost a whole week now :( So yeah, now I'm totes afraid of it!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty good about food consumption as long as I keep it to 2 drinks...more than that and I totally start wanting to snack on EVERYTHING...which is not good, though if I keep it below 4 drinks I can usually control the craving...after 4 drinks, forget it, I'm stuffing my face...
  • Gia6280
    Gia6280 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I still drink, but I've switched what I drink. My husband is a musician and plays a lot of breweries. I've given up my beloved craft beer for vodka and seltzer with a splash of crystal light. Doesn't seem to affect my weight loss at all, but I don't go overboard and only really drink on weekends.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I like a drink once in a while (maaaybe once a week) but didn't touch it while I was losing weight because it does sidetrack the liver into other functions instead of processing the fat. I am picky about my liquor though, and don't drink just any 'plonk', lol. Likely because my family has a background in vineyards and wineries and because I can only have 1 standard size serving per hour without being over the DWI limit (.08 here) so why waste it on garbage.
    I do enjoy a great traditional craft cider too, the non-sweet kind, although it's still a bit high in carbs compared to most of the hard liquors.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    We went to a charity auction on Saturday. My husband and I are pretty much non-drinkers and me especially since I went on epilepsy meds, but I decided I was going to have a very small glass of wine.

I literally took two sips and could already feel my head starting to swim.....No bueno!