I'm a basketcase

Options
I lost my mom yesterday morning. I am an emotional eater and I have eaten nothing healthy pizza carl's jr etc etc. I logged yesterday and today I have the I don't give a *kitten* attitude. Work has given me as much time off as I need. I weigh in on Friday and it said I gained 4 pounds not sure if keto is for me or not but I want to stick to it ASAP. I have been here for almost 100 days and 0 pounds lost because it goes up and down and I start with an heavier weight

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    It took me 40 years to wreck my health on high carbs. I have been learning how to do LCHF since Oct 2014. I was off to a slow start in part to my high inflammation and high mental stress levels. The more I learn the better I do on this WOE.

You have just been body slammed with the loss of your mother. Give yourself a few days and get back on track after you get back to work if you think that is best.

I preach B&B to the kids. I tell them to keep their Brains & Butts in the same location. If they find they are in two different places then get their Butts to where where their Brains are or get their Brains to where their Butts are.

If family is getting together try to focus on that perhaps. Try to eat plenty regularly if possible so you do not get starved and inhale a lot of junk. Best wishes @msfutureskinnyminnie
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. All you can do is take one day at a time and on decision at a time. Find someone you know and trust to talk with face to face if possible. I wish I could help you personally but I think you need someone who is there with you. Again, you need someONE, not something. I understand emotional eating. It won't help. It will put you in a downward spiral as you start beating yourself up for it. Find someone to talk with.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I lost my Dad last year, and had a week off to deal with everything including packing up his house - I'm an only child and did not have any assistance. It was tough. I didn't think about my eating, but I've been Keto for over 4 years and it's habit now, I don't reach for junk food anymore (although I had a couple of McDonalds burgers during that time for convenience but I still through the bun away). Diabetes and a high carb diet killed my Dad, so that right there is motivation enough not to go back to old ways.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of your mother. My condolences to you and your family.

My mother has pancreatic cancer and since her diagnosis, I've also been struggling with emotional eating. While it's not easy for emotional eaters to stick to eating healthy when under significant stress, I believe that sticking to a LCHF or Keto WOE is important. Stress will send your blood sugar and various hormones on a roller coaster. This WOE will help keep your blood sugar and hormones in check and thus, minimize their negative effects and keep the cravings away. If you have an exercise routine, try to keep up with that too because it will help to relieve the stress. If you don't have a regular exercise routine, even something as simple as walking will help. I've kicked up my exercise both to reduce stress and burn some of those extra stress calories that I've been consuming. It helps.

Please feel free to send me a friend request, if you would like some ongoing support.
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have no advice, but wanted to say I'm so very sorry for the loss of your mother. I cannot imagine what you're feeling right now. Be gentle with yourself as you go through the grieving process.
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    Allison ...I am sooo sorry...I am here for you on here and IRL if you need me for anything....Don't hesitate to reach out to me ..BIG HUGSSSSSSSSS HUN
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    It's hard to keep your head together when your heart is breaking.
    Do what you need to do for yourself; the fact that you're dealing with this grief, yet are still focused on your keto/regime, is admirable and quite stunning to say the least.
    Pass through this period. Take your time, then come back and touch base. We'll all help in any way we can.

Hugs, take care. <3
  • msfutureskinnyminnie
    msfutureskinnyminnie Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone I am back to tracking my food today I need to do this for me and I know my mom wouldn't want me to give up and lose myself . I also plan to workout today I just hope I can get thru it without crying :'(:'(:'( Thanks again
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    I lost my mom a year ago in May. I allowed myself the rest of the day. The next day I got back on-plan.

Good for you for recognizing your weaknesses.
    May God grant you comfort and strength during this sad time.
  • msfutureskinnyminnie
    Options
    Thank you Cadori and baconslave sorry for your loss as well
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    It's ok if you cry. And you're very smart to try to continue taking care of yourself. I'm so sorry. Hopefully, you've got good people nearby that can help out through this emotional roller coaster of a time. All the love, M
  • hmikkola92
    hmikkola92 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss ❤️
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss.

• SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I have no advice, but wanted to say I'm so very sorry for the loss of your mother. I cannot imagine what you're feeling right now. Be gentle with yourself as you go through the grieving process.

I'd like to extend the same. Bless you.
  • missippibelle
    missippibelle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. I would be a basket case too. I agree with being gentle with yourself. I also understand you don't want to let yourself get out of control. That is so hard sometimes when you are suffering such loss.

When I went through a divorce 10 years ago, exercise and diet goals became something positive to focus on for me. It was the one thing in my life I had control of, and made me feel good about myself. Exercise is a natural anti-depressant too. I took many long walks (some included long cries too) as well as used exercise DVDs at home. It kept me sane. Yoga is helping me right now to deal with some medical issues I can't control.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    my mother passed a little over 2 years ago so I understand where you are now... just know you are in our hearts and our prayers.
  • msfutureskinnyminnie
    Options
    Thank you everyone-my emotions got the best of me again and I can't stop sobbing-I wanted this day to be a positive one but its just not happening-all I want to do it curl up on the couch with a blanket and wake up from this bad dream (wishes it was a bad dream) but sadly it is reality :'(:'(:'(
  • missippibelle
    missippibelle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    So sorry for you.