Committing to Omad

crimple
crimple Posts: 8 Member
edited April 2017 in Social Groups
I've been stopping and starting omad and other IF diets for around four years, during that time the yo-yo effect has seen me gain around 35kg. I dabbled with omad a fortnight back but caved on the fourth day after I had a beer.

Looking to start again and this time stick to it. I do some gentle yoga and tai chi in the morning, but I'm gradually trying to increase my sleep to further lower cortisol.

Week 1 start weight: 116kg.

How do you guys deal with drinking booze? I have to do it a lot for work and it's horrible drinking on an empty stomach (if mealtime is in the evening), or not having something to soak it up in the evening (if mealtime is in the afternoon)

Replies

• Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Welcome, I don't drink alcohol but I think the only way this plan will work for you is to only drink when you eat your meal...Good luck :)
  • shans34
    shans34 Posts: 535 Member
    Welcome. I incorporate alcohol into my meal. I don't drink enough to really worry about it. When I do, it's only with a meal.
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Here's to a fresh start! I only drink alcohol occasionally, so I don't have advice. I think brendagaudette has some wise words though :-)
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Why do you have to drink at work? Couldn't you wait tell after you ate?
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    edited April 2017
    Put some nice cold water in a wine glass. Add a slice of lemon or lime. It will feel festive and special, you will be part of the group. Smile knowingly if someone comments. That's what I do. Makes me happy to treat myself to water in a wine glass, makes me happy to avoid alcohol.
  • crimple
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Why do you have to drink at work? Couldn't you wait tell after you ate?

Normally it's straight down the pub for a beer after work with my colleagues or contacts a couple nights a week. Sort of a London office culture. I'll try to get in a meal beforehand if I do that.

I had quit alcohol for around 10 years, while my weight was blooming, so I don't think the two are related (although there's a load of calories in beer)
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Gotta give up the alcohol with the exception of 1 glass at the meal, my friend. Else, you will gain-gain-gain.
  • crimple
    Sigh. I have a big work event coming up in a couple of weeks which is basically about getting drunk for three days with clients. I'm going to spend the time from now prepping my food cupboard and preparing psychologically. Once the event is done, I'm going to quit the booze and hit Omad hard.

By the way, has anyone done an extended water fast after being on Omad for some time. I was considering a 40 day fast a couple of months into Omad, once ghrelin levels become more normalised.
  • arguablysamson
    Longest I have done is 10.
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    Wow, its possible to do a 40 day fast? No food at all?
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    1MADGIRL wrote: »
    Wow, its possible to do a 40 day fast? No food at all?

And I thought 40 hours was a long time, I could never go that long without food!!!
  • mikseyniha
    mikseyniha Posts: 442 Member
    I am about to complete my first 3 days water fast.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Fungs book talks about a person going over 300 days
  • 1MADGIRL
    I'm impressed ... I thought going without food for more than 10 days would kill a person!

Good luck mikseyniha... almost done!
  • crimple
    Yes quite a lot of people. There's a book on amazon of a woman's diary during a 40 day fast. I was planning to do a longer fast some time back, but I only managed three days. Longest three days of my life.

Joe, did omadding help you transition easier to the water fast?
  • arguablysamson
    crimple wrote: »
    Yes quite a lot of people. There's a book on amazon of a woman's diary during a 40 day fast. I was planning to do a longer fast some time back, but I only managed three days. Longest three days of my life.

Joe, did omadding help you transition easier to the water fast?

Yes and no. Straight fasting will still be tough since you will have to forego the OMAD meal, albeit slightly less tough than if you ate three squares a day. Keep in mind, you probably don't need to do anything longer than a 7-day fast--and that only if you have some plaguing health issues that won't go away. The OMAD fast is enough for most of us most of the time.
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Maybe you could have a nonalcoholic drink and if anyone asks why say you're taking seasonal allergy medicine and can't drink while taking it.
  • crimple
    edited May 2017
    It's been a week now and I've dropped 2kg. Since my meal is at lunch (I don't get back from work until 8.30pm) I've decided to quit alcohol. I feel like this is doing great things for me. Thanks for the support all
  • shans34
    shans34 Posts: 535 Member
    You are doing great! You will quickly find how easy it is to be OMAD. I love it!
  • 1MADGIRL
    AWESOME work!