The endless plateau

Options

Replies

• graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    So I just put together a typical day for me. I still need about 400 calories...no fat....quite a few carbs. Any suggestions with what I could pad it with?
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    I'm going to do this routine today...question. I'm a little confused with their description of a warm up. And is there ANY way to gauge how much weight to start with/end with? I'm so stupid in this department. How long does one rest between reps?
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    Totally did an epic fail in the weight room. Went in ready to go. PANICKED. Left. So uncomfortable and not having any idea what I'm doing. The one machine I did know, someone was on. I went to another rack to start with squats and when I tried to remove the bar, it stopped me in it's tracks...it didn't do squats. Got totally embarrassed and walked out. Such a FAIL. :-( Been really strict with weighing. Hungry most days.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Try this.

Every time you go into the weight room, when you finish your routine pick one exercise/machine you aren't familiar with and try to teach yourself. Or even better, ask someone to show you. Most folks will be happy to give you a quick pointer or two.

I tried to have enough things in my memory bank so that if (as was inevitable at my old gym) a couple of bros were doing barbell shrugs in the squat rack I had other things to do, or I'd change the order of my routine to put squats last to give them time to get done.

The one time they still hadn't finished I just grabbed a kettlebell, increased my volume dramatically and did goblet squats instead of barbell squats.

heck, even if you end up doing air squats (no weights at all) facing the mirror then you come out ahead. I think that's the attitude you need to approach it with.
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    Thanks. I guess my fear is exacerbated by the fact that I'm a gym employee. I teach group fitness, so they all know who I am...I walk into the weight area and I'm a deer in the headlights. I feel so uncomfortable. I will keep trying...but I just wanted to hide in a hole!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Just to add to the above, you may see a slight weight gain from glycogen/water retention as your muscles repair themselves due to the lifting heavier weights creating more of a stimulus. Don't panic if the scale does go up a bit.

Also, in response to one of your original questions, which I overlooked, apologies, our cycle can definitely get messed up at a certain leanness as well as from exercise and dieting. It impacts each woman at different BF levels and is very individual. If you are concerned however, I would recommend having a check out with your OBGYN.

I have been twice to the OB/GYN and she didn't seem concerned. Everything else looked normal....I just felt like maybe I was doing something wrong as it's sooooo irregular! :-)

Same thing happened/happens to me. I also went to my OB/GYN and she was not really concerned either. I was actually losing weight at the time so she did not test for PCOS or for any thyroid issues. She just said to get back to her if I did not get my cycle within a couple of months.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    So I just put together a typical day for me. I still need about 400 calories...no fat....quite a few carbs. Any suggestions with what I could pad it with?

Sorry for the delay in responding to your questions.

Some no fat suggestions:

- non fat dairy (milk, cream cheese, cottage cheese)
    - non-fat pretzels
    - fruit and veggies
    - jams and spreads
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Totally did an epic fail in the weight room. Went in ready to go. PANICKED. Left. So uncomfortable and not having any idea what I'm doing. The one machine I did know, someone was on. I went to another rack to start with squats and when I tried to remove the bar, it stopped me in it's tracks...it didn't do squats. Got totally embarrassed and walked out. Such a FAIL. :-( Been really strict with weighing. Hungry most days.

Would you feel more comfortable with dumbbells?

It may be a good idea to buy a set (does not really matter what weight) and practice at home so you get familiar with them and the routine.

If I am not used to a machine or lift, I kinda just fake it and scowl at people.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    If I am not used to a machine or lift, I kinda just fake it and scowl at people.

Yep, that is what I do too!

Or, could another employee whom you like/trust help you before/after hours?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I guess my fear is exacerbated by the fact that I'm a gym employee. I teach group fitness, so they all know who I am...I walk into the weight area and I'm a deer in the headlights. I feel so uncomfortable. I will keep trying...but I just wanted to hide in a hole!

Think of it this way too. A good trainer (and teachers in general) are the ones that are constantly in a state of learning and searching out different methods, viewpoints, etc to add to their experience in order to understand and better themselves, what they teach, their students, and their approach to everything.

I would have more respect and trust in someone (this case a trainer/fitness class teacher or whatever they are called) whose views and practices/training/workouts were multi-dimensional rather than just set in the one thing that they teach/do/are good at.

You are worried about what others think too much. More than likely, they'll probably be impressed in the long run at your ability to be diverse and well-rounded in the workouts you personally do.

But even if they aren't...who cares? You aren't doing this for them. Take this as an opportunity to better yourself mentally as well as physically. Gain confidence and dismiss your insecurities and fears that are projected in the form of being self-conscious and dependent on how others are viewing you.
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    Hi everyone. Back for a small regroup. I was gone for South Carolina/Disney World for a week and a half, but other than that I have been trying my best to really get macros/cals in line and writing down EVERYTHING. As you will see in my diary as I have things like half a cracker if I took a bite of my kids snack...it's in there. sugar free water flavoring? It's in there.

1600 cals a day has been super tough some days as I will teach 2-3 classes a day (I'm doing the exercise with them) I was actually curious why my calorie goal seems to be roughly the same as people who workout significantly less than me? Not second guessing...just wondering what the science behind it was.

Getting the carbs to my goal has been hardest as I was most successful with a lower carb intake. I usually don't make the goal there...but everywhere else I'm closer. I also started adding in some heavy lifting.

After an entire day of exercise at my Les Mills Quarterly and walking marathons at Disney, I came back with a 5-6 pound gain but lost some every day after that (water I'm sure) but then went back to my bodies standard of around 152 or so. Past couple of days I'm up to even my highest at 154.4. My period is very erratic. Sometimes I will skip a month or two...feels like it MAY be around the corner? I'm hoping that explains THAT gain...but I'm still not progressing. I'm getting very sick of chicken and vegetables..but I know how exactly how much I'm eating (I'm weighing EVERYTHING). SO I KNOW I'm not a special, special snowflake....but no real progress.

FITBIT has my average burn at 2400 (although I burn WAY more than my steps indicate on my workouts like Bodycombat for example) But my body has also probably gotten used to my routine, as It's a set schedule for the gym.

So anyway...that's what's going on. As of now, I weigh more than when I started.

Thanks for listening!
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    Also wanted to add...that if anyone sees a culprit or has an idea let me know. My husband's friend brought me back English candy a couple of weeks ago (I'm originally from England) so there is small amounts of candy here and there that aren't usually there...I've been trying to spread it out and keep it in my macros/calories....so there is a bit more sugar than normal, but it's usually super low to begin with. I'm all ears!!!
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    BUMP?:blushing:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Sorry - we are hoping to chat over the weekend so should get back to you then.
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    Thanks Sara. MUCH APPRECIATED!!!:flowerforyou:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Do you record your weight anywhere?

If so, please give us your weight readings from the following dates:

August 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th.
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    Hey SS. I actually left for vacation on August 7th. I think I was around 152.2

The one and only time I have gotten past these 150's plateaus was doing a low cal/low carb 28 day challenge and I got down to 147. Very strict. Anything above it and my body pops back up into the 150's. It does NOT want to leave them.

When I came back from the trip I was up around 155. Went down over a week to 151 and then popped back up to 153.

I weigh daily...bad habit....152-155 back and forth.
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    Side note...today I am teaching 3 classes. Spinning, Bodypump, and then subbing Bodycombat at night. Should i still stick to my 1600? This weekend was the worst disaster I've had in a long time. Girls weekend. Oof. Just curious. Thanks!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

The one and only time I have gotten past these 150's plateaus was doing a low cal/low carb 28 day challenge and I got down to 147. Very strict. Anything above it and my body pops back up into the 150's. It does NOT want to leave them.

When I came back from the trip I was up around 155. Went down over a week to 151 and then popped back up to 153.

Here is the issue currently as far as this advising goes.

When we advised you to set your intake on July 31st we requested a 1 week follow up. I should have been more specific in that we needed to see what your change in weight was in that follow up. You replied a few times regarding things that were not related to body-weight and as such we don't really have a good idea as to what happened during the time period that you stuck to that caloric intake. I should have been more clear that in that follow up we specifically need to track changes in weight and make adjustments to that intake accordingly.

Since returning from vacation, you've been averaging around 1750-1850 calories/day depending on how we average out the data when we look at your diary.

Our recommendation would be to stick to the intake we suggested on July 31st (go back to page two to check it). Additionally, I would re-read the entire post since we've made other applicable suggestions.

Moving forward, we need you to track your weight daily (record it) and in a week, report to us with your weekly weigh-ins. So in other words, if you choose to follow this advice, you should reply to this thread on 9/16 with a list of dates and weigh ins (9/9 through 9/16 with each days weigh in).

Let me know if this makes sense/etc.
  • graysmom2005
    Options

Here is the issue currently as far as this advising goes.

When we advised you to set your intake on July 31st we requested a 1 week follow up. I should have been more specific in that we needed to see what your change in weight was in that follow up. You replied a few times regarding things that were not related to body-weight and as such we don't really have a good idea as to what happened during the time period that you stuck to that caloric intake. I should have been more clear that in that follow up we specifically need to track changes in weight and make adjustments to that intake accordingly.

Since returning from vacation, you've been averaging around 1750-1850 calories/day depending on how we average out the data when we look at your diary.

Our recommendation would be to stick to the intake we suggested on July 31st (go back to page two to check it). Additionally, I would re-read the entire post since we've made other applicable suggestions.

Moving forward, we need you to track your weight daily (record it) and in a week, report to us with your weekly weigh-ins. So in other words, if you choose to follow this advice, you should reply to this thread on 9/16 with a list of dates and weigh ins (9/9 through 9/16 with each days weigh in).

Let me know if this makes sense/etc.
    I think so. :-) Yeah, I went for a long vacation right about the time you set my goals. I have not been writing down my daily weights. I will do that and get back to you on the 16th. Thanks!