Rude friends

Options
13»

Replies

• swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I always want to say the snarky thing back to someone like that but whenever I do I inevitably feel like the most horrible person in the world.

Maybe you could try "Are you purposely trying to hurt my feelings?"

I used that one a while back and received an immediate apology along with an acknowledgement that while they didn't mean for their comment to sound the way that it did that they could totally understand why I took it that way.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Think about older actors/actresses that just seem young. Like Betty White for example, she's 80 or something and I have no idea if she ever had any work done, but even if she did, she has plenty of wrinkles but overall she just seems youthful.

Betty White is 95. Just saying. Love that old lady to pieces, I've always been a fan of her work. Almost cried when they stopped doing "Hot in Cleveland".
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Think about older actors/actresses that just seem young. Like Betty White for example, she's 80 or something and I have no idea if she ever had any work done, but even if she did, she has plenty of wrinkles but overall she just seems youthful.

Betty White is 95. Just saying. Love that old lady to pieces, I've always been a fan of her work. Almost cried when they stopped doing "Hot in Cleveland".

See! That's what I mean! She's so youthful!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Y'all are just flat out awesome. I think this just became my favorite thread today.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »

I was making a pastoral call on my doctor's mother at the hospital when he came in today to see her. I mentioned I was getting close to the goals he had set for me before I left. He said it was unusual for patients to actually listen to their doctors, and he was really impressed at my progress. I did not have the heart to tell him in front of his mother that I had made that progress by ignoring his advice.

Sometimes you have to nod and smile pleasantly. You say, "Thanks!" and go back to the office to have a coffee with HWC to celebrate a NSV.

I was thinking perhaps you could have told your doctor that you were getting close to the goals he set for you NOT by following his advice but by finding a healthier way to do it. The longer he keeps believing he's right, the more patients he misleads and ultimately kills.
    There's a nice blunt statement for ya'. ;)

• MzLazyBones
    MzLazyBones Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Human pride is a funny thing; challenging what someone thinks is "right" can either encourage them to view things differently, or it can drive their beliefs into them like a tick. I've found more people dig in deeper when challenged, even if you have science, numbers, and facts on your side. It's unfortunate, but true.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »

I was thinking perhaps you could have told your doctor that you were getting close to the goals he set for you NOT by following his advice but by finding a healthier way to do it. The longer he keeps believing he's right, the more patients he misleads and ultimately kills.

My doctor is a total grouch, and he has the worst bedside manner. It is almost like a SNL skit, and there is an amusing quality to it. He is blunt to a fault. His opinion is that new meds need some field trials on the patients of another doctor. I like the guy, but you are going to get ultra traditional advice from him.

I may ask for the blood work to be done before the next appointment and talk to him about what I have been doing. I talked to his nurse about it at the last appointment. She said they never see people with an A1C come down like mine has, and she wanted to know what I was doing to lose weight.

I wanted to respect the fact that we were both in the hospital room because his mother (in her 90's) was having problems. I did not want to be doing much personal business. You stay on task, etc.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    surv8r wrote: »
    "And wrinkles only go where the smiles have been..."

Barefoot Children by Jimmy Buffett

I love this. :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »
    canadjineh wrote: »

My doctor is a total grouch, and he has the worst bedside manner. It is almost like a SNL skit, and there is an amusing quality to it. He is blunt to a fault. His opinion is that new meds need some field trials on the patients of another doctor. I like the guy, but you are going to get ultra traditional advice from him.

I may ask for the blood work to be done before the next appointment and talk to him about what I have been doing. I talked to his nurse about it at the last appointment. She said they never see people with an A1C come down like mine has, and she wanted to know what I was doing to lose weight.

I wanted to respect the fact that we were both in the hospital room because his mother (in her 90's) was having problems. I did not want to be doing much personal business. You stay on task, etc.

Sounds like the best plan. Put the DARNED proof in his hands, then ask him to dispute it... :)

And agree 1000% about not starting a discussion/disagreement while at the hospital because of his mother. <3
  • sbtripp
    sbtripp Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your insight on what to say to rude people. Have some fun ideas now.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    sbtripp wrote: »
    Thank you all for your insight on what to say to rude people. Have some fun ideas now.

If words just don't work, you can always get one of those deafening 120+ dB stadium horns that sprays a high Bb out of an aerosol spray can. :*
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Or better yet, carry a custard-and-whipped cream in your bag, surreptitiously, like...then, when they come out with the banal, brainless and tactless remark.....whup!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

If words just don't work, you can always get one of those deafening 120+ dB stadium horns that sprays a high Bb out of an aerosol spray can. :*

Sometimes I wish I had one of those to carry with me. Unfortunately, I'd pollute the environment with that thing wayyy too often.

This might be a little more environmentally friendly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRG-RBZBTZI
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    "I have a whole bag of 'shhhh!' with your name on it..." What a great line to steal!
  • EggToni
    EggToni Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

Sometimes I wish I had one of those to carry with me. Unfortunately, I'd pollute the environment with that thing wayyy too often.

HAHAHA - I think I just peed my pants!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    EggToni wrote: »

HAHAHA - I think I just peed my pants!

You lost weight ! o:)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

:D I used to LOVE doing that to my students when I was teaching! I do it to my kids now and they have no idea where I got it from... I guess I should let them watch that soon.