Sodium

Options
SuperCarLori
SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
I've been around...got some miles on me. Regarding sodium...but. Why is it that I seem to need an exorbitant amount? I take Country Life Target Mins Mag/Calcium/Zinc which gives me 500 mg of mag in like, five forms. I stopped logging sodium, mistakenly thinking I had this. Sigh...to stave off headache and nausea I need upwards of SIX THOUSAND MG!
I remember reading something awhile back about a correlation between low blood pressure and higher sodium needs..anyone care to educate me, please? I always have good bp, but it's always been on the lower side.

Thank you in advance. This salt thing...pain in the *kitten* *kitten*.

Replies

• my4andme333
    my4andme333 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'll be following this! I have hypotension (Extremely low blood pressure) and I've been aiming for 5000mg of sodium a day since ready most here recommend at least 3000-5000 and I still get a headache by the end of the day, although that could be contributed to 4 kids running around screaming HAHA. Maybe like you I need more because of the low blood pressure? Will be interesting to see what everyone says :)
  • SuperCarLori
    Options
    The kids might do it. :D Or it could be high activity levels. I have blinders on in regards to own activity level. I don't think I even realize how much I move. I can be cleaning and thinking at the same time I'm sedentary. That doesn't even account for my highly physical work! So...maybe that plays into it some...
  • my4andme333
    Options
    Yeah I'm moving from sun up to sun down and sometimes more lol...I plan to get an activity tracker soon just to see how active I really am, hard to find one that doesn't need a smartphone to save all the data though (I don't use cell phones, have one in the truck I keep for emergencies) I'd like to find one that can sync with my laptop
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm moving from sun up to sun down and sometimes more lol...I plan to get an activity tracker soon just to see how active I really am, hard to find one that doesn't need a smartphone to save all the data though (I don't use cell phones, have one in the truck I keep for emergencies) I'd like to find one that can sync with my laptop

Fitbit is capable of synching without a phone. They have a way if connecting it to your computer for it.
  • my4andme333
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Fitbit is capable of synching without a phone. They have a way if connecting it to your computer for it.

Thank you, I didn't know. Fitbit is also extremely expensive lol
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    FYI, there are also free phone apps that claim to track steps accurately.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    FYI, there are also free phone apps that claim to track steps accurately.

@my4andme333: I was using walklogger (free android app) when I was walking all the time. It is basically a step counter that also shows accumulated mileage, calories burned and total calories per day. I found it to be accurate in regards to distance when my stride was set properly running it simultaneously with Runkeeper and Mapmywalk (also free apps with GPS).

I also compared walklogger to a couple other step counters (running stuff simultaneously) and walklogger is my preferred. I also prefer Runkeeper to mapmywalk. Both of the latter supposedly sync with MFP. I've not tried mapmywalk. No matter what speed I walked with runnkeeper, it always showed up as 3 mph on MFP. Not sure why and that may be fixed. It should not be a rounding issue since there were plenty of times I was 3.4mph and more often 3.7+mph.

Caveat to all of the above is you have to have your phone with you. Walklogger is continuous. Runkeeper and mapmywalk, you start and stop. I also purchased a cute little pedometer for $8.49 that seems accurate enough to me. My personal benefit to that one was I could strap it on my leg when on my stationary recumbent and it would pick up steps. Phone is too bulky for that. I would also have it on while doing aerobics and it seemed to pick up most of the steps but certainly not all.

https://www.pedometersusa.com/products/hrm771?variant=10935106821

In regards to all of the above, they're just not my thing. I could be competitive with myself or others but real world is I was eating keto for a neurological movement disorder and once it stopped being effective, any exercise that is movement oriented is just another related aggravation. I hope your son is benefiting from keto. My academic background is a BS and M.Ed is Special Education primarily those with "physically handicapping conditions". I taught for only 6 years (back in the 70s) and spent a few summers working for United Cerebral Palsy. Later worked with special needs adults in Community Living Programs. Many had CP. I've seen all degrees of physical involvement/dependence/independence. Kudos to you. I have only an inkling of what you day could be like.

Sorry to hi-jack or continue with. Back to sodium...
  • my4andme333
    Options
    Thank you both, I don't actually have a smartphone, the phone I have is one of those really old ones where you push the number a million times to get the right letter HAHA
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Thank you both, I don't actually have a smartphone, the phone I have is one of those really old ones where you push the number a million times to get the right letter HAHA

I hear ya. I've gotten pushed into technology due to work. I have a friend who doesn't know how to turn on a computer and doesn't want to know. She gets through life beautifully and is perhaps the most laid back person I know. Try a little pedometer if you really want to track steps. Seems you've been pretty darn successful without though. :)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Thank you, I didn't know. Fitbit is also extremely expensive lol

What are you considering "extremely expensive"? The Zip is $60, while the Flex is $80, which is pretty cheap for what they are and the features they support (keep in mind that you're not paying for batteries, too, since they're rechargeable). It's only when you get into the heart rate monitoring and smart watch capability that the price starts going way up.
  • my4andme333
    Options
    @SuperCarLori I feel I need to apologize your thread about sodium has now turned into a fitness tracker thread, I didn't mean for that to happen and can't figure out how to delete my comments so no one else comments. Once again I'm sorry this wasn't my intention

@Dragonwolf thank you for your comments and advice. I'm a single mom to 4 kids, a domestic violence survivor with an ex-husband in prison for trying to do the unthinkable to me and my kids, I do not get child support and work very hard to support my 4 children, even 20 dollars not going towards them is not an expense that is foreseeable.

I tried to send both of these comments in private messages but it didn't work? Some kind of error? I don't know, but again I apologize for hijacking the thread
  • SuperCarLori
    Options
    Well I am starting to become seriously concerned about this being a way of eating that I can maintain....am I supposed to start ingesting OVER 7000?? Because today I've already ingested 3000 mg and I'm still nauseated and have a headache. This is the third day of this. Unless I have a legitimate issue, but it feels like electrolytes.... intuitively.

I don't have a gadget, nor will I ever. If I don't lose weight at my calorie intake, I'm eating too much and I'm not moving enough. Pretty easy. The gadgets are all consumerism stuff to me, but I'm that girl who truly repurposes, re-uses, recycles, mends clothing, RE-furbishes....etc. I do my best, I ain't perfect. I'd love a treadmill, but that isn't logical to me, because I can walk around my yard. That's just my take on the side topic. You're welcome. :D;)
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    @my4andme333, most of our threads here are more like meandering streams than firehoses. They get to their destinations sooner or later but stop to smell the roses (ketones, breath, bacon, magnesium, poop, etc.) along the way.

(Apologies customarily are not required on LCD family excursions.)
  • my4andme333
    Options
    but I'm that girl who truly repurposes, re-uses, recycles, mends clothing, RE-furbishes....etc. I do my best, I ain't perfect. I'd love a treadmill, but that isn't logical to me, because I can walk around my yard. That's just my take on the side topic. You're welcome. :D;)

Yup this is me! I still wear clothes from when I was over 450 pounds, just keep taking them in as I need to :) The stationary bike I have was given to me, so bonus! Here in Michigan it really does get too cold sometimes to walk when I need to so I jump on the bike :)

• my4andme333
    Options
    Thank you @RalfLott just having a tough day mentally and felt bad that the thread went sort of sideways lol
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

I hear ya. I've gotten pushed into technology due to work. I have a friend who doesn't know how to turn on a computer and doesn't want to know. She gets through life beautifully and is perhaps the most laid back person I know. Try a little pedometer if you really want to track steps. Seems you've been pretty darn successful without though. :)

I use a pedometer too, when I remember it.
    I don't always have my Android smartphone on my body or even have it turned on for a couple days at a time, so the app is not as useful as it could be. Nothing wrong with an old-skool pedometer, lol.
  • SuperCarLori
    Options
    Thank you @RalfLott just having a tough day mentally and felt bad that the thread went sort of sideways lol
    :)
    They all seem to meander.
  • SuperCarLori
    edited April 2017
    Options
    But seriously, Noone has any insight here, encouragement, anything to offer? My head really hurts, I don't understand this. Do I need to up it to a tablespoon three times a day, for crying out loud?

Never mind. I'll figure it out.
  • SuperCarLori
    Options
    Have I been black balled or something around here?
  • my4andme333
    Options
    @SuperCarLori I'm not sure how to help :( I did have a headache earlier and had 2 bullion in some water and it helped, I'm up to about 6000mg so far today, so maybe your thinking of 7000 might not be far off...I'm still researching it if I find anything I'll let you know :)