Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Slow Saturday. Would a nap help? Sorry no suggestions. :/
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    @SuperCarLori I'm not sure how to help :( I did have a headache earlier and had 2 bullion in some water and it helped, I'm up to about 6000mg so far today, so maybe your thinking of 7000 might not be far off...I'm still researching it if I find anything I'll let you know :)

Thank you very much. :)

I'm up to 9500 already and still have the headache...maybe it's something else...
  • my4andme333
    my4andme333 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I just found this which is probably way off but it's possible?

Low salt or sodium in the blood (hyponatraemia)
    What is hyponatraemia?

The mineral sodium is essential for many of the body's functions including fluid balance, blood pressure management and the nervous system.

Hyponatraemia is a low level of sodium in the blood. Symptoms are not usually very specific and can include changes to a person's mental state, headache, nausea and vomiting, tiredness, muscle spasms and seizures.

Hyponatraemia may be caused by drinking too much water, for example during strenuous exercise, without adequate replacement of sodium.

It may also be due to a loss of sodium and body fluid.

Severe hyponatraemia can lead to coma and can be fatal.

Treatment of hyponatraemia involves intravenous fluid and electrolyte replacement, medication to manage the symptoms of hyponatraemia, as well as any treatments for any underlying cause.

What causes hyponatraemia?

A low sodium level in the blood may result from excess water or fluid in the body, diluting the normal amount of sodium so that the concentration appears low. This type of hyponatraemia can be the result of chronic conditions such as kidney failure (when excess fluid cannot be efficiently excreted) and congestive heart failure, in which excess fluid accumulates in the body. SIADH (syndrome of inappropriate anti-diuretic hormone) is a disease whereby the body produces too much anti-diuretic hormone (ADH), resulting in retention of water in the body.

Hyponatraemia can also result when sodium is lost from the body or when both sodium and fluid are lost from the body - for example, during prolonged sweating and severe vomiting or diarrhoea.

Medical conditions that can sometimes be associated with hyponatraemia are adrenal insufficiency, hypothyroidism, and cirrhosis of the liver. The eating disorder anorexia can also cause a sodium imbalance.

Some drugs can lower blood sodium levels. Examples of these include diuretics (water tablets), desmopressin, and sulfonylureas.

What are the symptoms of hyponatremia (low blood sodium)?

When sodium levels in the body are low, water tends to enter cells, causing them to swell. When this occurs in the brain, it is referred to as cerebral oedema. Cerebral oedema is particularly dangerous because the brain is confined in the skull without room for expansion, and the swelling can lead to brain damage as the pressure increases within the skull.

In chronic hyponatraemia, in which the blood sodium levels drop gradually over time, symptoms are typically less severe than with acute hyponatraemia (a sudden drop in blood sodium level). Symptoms can be very non-specific and can include:

Headache
    Confusion or altered mental state
    Seizures
    Decreased consciousness which can proceed to coma and death.
    Other possible symptoms include:

Restlessness
    Muscle spasms or cramps
    Weakness, and tiredness
    Nausea and vomiting may accompany any of the symptoms.

How is hyponatraemia diagnosed?

The symptoms of hyponatraemia are not specific, so a blood test measuring the sodium level is needed to confirm the diagnosis of hyponatraemia. Sometimes the medical history (such as prolonged vomiting or excessive sweating) will help a doctor with the diagnosis. In other cases, further blood tests, urine tests, and imaging studies may be needed in order to determine the exact cause of the hyponatraemia.

How is hyponatraemia treated?

Mild chronic hyponatraemia may not require treatment other than adjustments in diet, lifestyle or medication. For severe or acute hyponatraemia, treatment often involves intravenous (IV or drip) fluids and electrolytes. In this case medication is often needed to treat the underlying cause of the hyponatraemia as well as medication to manage the accompanying symptoms.
  • my4andme333
    Options
    Might be possible that your body isn't using the sodium you're ingesting, just a thought...Otherwise maybe allergies? They're horrible right now
  • my4andme333
    Options
    I can't seem to find anything online in regards to low blood pressure and how much sodium you need...Times like this I wish my Grandmother was still with us, she was a doctor I could call her and ask
  • SuperCarLori
    Options
    Medical conditions that can sometimes be associated with hyponatraemia are adrenal insufficiency, hypothyroidism, and cirrhosis of the liver. The eating disorder anorexia can also cause a sodium imbalance.

This above is interesting. I'm pretty sure my adrenals are maxed out. I had a spell (a fairly long spell) of pretty rough living....and I also have liver disease. :(
    Sounds like a combination.

I'm not retaining water though...maybe I'm drinking too much??

Thank you so very very much for taking the time to help me. :)
  • SuperCarLori
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Slow Saturday. Would a nap help? Sorry no suggestions. :/

Awww thank you. Yeah, seems pretty slow..a nap would probably help, unfortunately I'm personally having a hugely active Saturday. :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Are you getting magyand potassium too?
  • SuperCarLori
    Options
    Are you getting magyand potassium too?

I take Country Life Target Mins Mag/Calcium/Zinc which gives me 500 mg of mag in like, five forms.

I always read that potassium could be dangerous to supplement, so I haven't been, but I sure did start today..man it was crazy. I'm feeling better finally at this point with over 9000mg. I think....I forgot to take my magnesium last night...could missing one night wreak all this havoc????

I just took it, so I guess we'll see tomorrow, right? Thank you Sunny Bunny. :)
  • SuperCarLori
    Options
    Oh wow I just checked it, it's at 10,999!!!!!!!
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just a regular headache and has nothing to do with sodium? This up and down weather we're having used to give me daily migraines no matter what I did.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    How low is low anyhow? Do you feel faint when you stand up, have any other symptoms except a headache? Headaches can be due to a whole whack of things. Next week I'm getting a new mouth appliance because .... Headaches. The full upper jaw one keeps my teeth from wearing further, but doesn't solve the severe muscle tension I get from clenching my jaws overnight. Haven't you been toting buckets of rocks? Trapezius overwork will give you a killer headache too. Maybe it isn't all food related.
  • Ringbearer2
    Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Hey Lori I know you've been working outside a lot. Could it be an allergy headache? I normally don't have spring allergies but las week when stuff finally started to bloom I had a horrible headache behind my eyes for 3 days straight. I tried salt, Advil, aspirin, water... finally, the only thing that really helped was Flonase. And it didn't feel like my sinuses were stuffed up either. Go figure.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I am fond of olives, and three servings give me 1000 mg of sodium more or less. Yesterday I had one of those 12 hour days with 12K steps on the counter from just doing my work. There was a wedding (wearing the "good" chasuble - the heavy lined one). I tried to stay hydrated, but my Crystal Light mix with the electrolytes was at home.

I had three servings of olives with both breakfast and supper just to make sure sodium stayed in the 4-5K range for the day. I was still down 2 pounds this morning, so I think I got a little dehydrated despite my best efforts.

My observation is that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. It is a lot better to stay on top of the electrolytes than to feel out of sorts and light headed and supplement the symptoms away after the fact.
  • SuperCarLori
    Options
    Well, I don't have a headache this morning. :) Perhaps magnesium played a role...and allergies and activity. Or a combination.

I was pretty frustrated yesterday. Thank you for your advice!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't have a headache this morning. :) Perhaps magnesium played a role...and allergies and activity. Or a combination.

Whatever it was, I hope it was a fluke.
  • SuperCarLori
    Options

Whatever it was, I hope it was a fluke.

Meeeeee too! Thank you.

:)
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Do you regularly drink tea or coffee and missed it that day? I have run into that when sodium and potassium are not helping a headache.
  • SuperCarLori
    Options
    cawood2 wrote: »
    Do you regularly drink tea or coffee and missed it that day? I have run into that when sodium and potassium are not helping a headache.

Thank you! But alas...caffeine is mainstay in my world. :)