May the Fuhrman Force Be With Us

Options
Mihani
Mihani Posts: 3,948 Member
Okay totally silly thread title for May. Goals for this month, stick to my new Engine 2 seven day rescue diet thing, because it is working. Totally believe in Dr. F and his guidelines, but right now I seem to be sticking much better allowing more grains so I suppose someone is welcome to depose me as leader of this illustrious group if they wish lol. I have mentioned that Engine 2 is very close to Dr. F's life plan (not the 6 week plan) so I don't feel guilty about this. I don't have the strict 6 week plan guidelines in me right now.

My other goal is regular exercise. Walking at the least. Work is work is work, but I simply HAVE to find the time and energy to exercise every single day. I have good intentions, but I am so wiped out when I get home sometimes I just decide "tomorrow" which never comes. No more excuses, no more promising tomorrow. Will get it done.

<3 y'all

Replies

• whats_her_name
    whats_her_name Posts: 716 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I gave myself a week off exercise to assimilate the new food plan in the household. I've felt wiped out all week too; standing for 3 hours in the kitchen chopping veggies really does a number on my feet, my hips and my back. I'm so stiff!! So I've gotta get moving more to see if that'll help.

So I'm back to evading Zombies tomorrow - Season 2, finally!!

Tonight I think I might make sushi rolls. Yummy!!! I haven't made them in FOREVER. I bought nori, and tamari and I have carrots, cucumber, avocado -- am I missing anything??? I have vegan mayo and wasabi too... I gotta go find a recipe because I feel like I'm still missing something...
  • Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    May the Fuhrman be with you LOLOL! Thanks for that, Mihani :) I think it's great that the Engine 2 plan is working so well for you. It is inspiring.

After yesterday's yarn eye-candy, I thought today I'd stay closer on theme and show off my lettuce!
    3phz7pyue7b1.jpg
    u0aa8jcjcb32.jpg

• Carla_wfpb
    Options
    Woops sorry. I resized them smaller but for some reason it didn't stick.
  • whats_her_name
    Options
    pretty greens!!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Wow, Carla... those greens look so pretty!

Karrie, good luck with the zombies! I've been looking at those electric choppers, not sure how well they work, or maybe one of the ones like Carla got where you push the produce through the squares. Are you still using that Carla, do you like it? I still want an Instant Pot though, and honestly my cabinets are already overflowing with seldom used gadgets, and I think the Instant Pot would get more use, especially with prepping dried beans rather than buying so many cans.

B - burned out on oatmeal after almost 2 weeks straight, had granola with almond milk
    L - romaine and super greens salad with homemade hummus and cous cous
    D - not sure yet, but I have some tofu that needs to be used. It's not allowed on the 7 day rescue plan (although it is on regular Engine 2), something about the fat to calorie ratio, but I'm going to have it with BBQ sauce and a big pile of cooked greens, some brussels sprouts, and a baked potato. Figure if tofu is my "cheat" meal for the week I'm doing pretty well lol

Not going to the office tomorrow, brought home a bunch of work and going to alternate an hour of cleaning with a couple hours of work throughout the day. I am working on a website for a friend's business too, so I want to get more done on that and see if I can get it up and running. I'll have to go in on Sunday though.
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    I have too many gadgets around the house, too! But the InstantPot would make it on the short list of items to keep, right after my Vitamix. I use it any time I want to cook beans, rice, stews and soups. You can also put a trivet inside and steam yams. And, if you are already overloaded with gadgets, it has a slow cooker setting and a rice cooking setting so you can get rid of your existing ones or at least pack them out of the way.

The little onion and pepper dicing device is very good at that specific thing but a one trick pony. I don't use it if I'm chopping up a single onion because it isn't worth it to clean out. When making Indian food with mountains of onions I wouldn't want to be without it.

Mihani, definitely if your cheat meal is tofu, you are doing alright!
  • whats_her_name
    Options
    Didn't make sushi rolls last night because I realized there wasn't enough time for that. So I just made them now for supper tonight. Yum!!

I've never heard of an instant pot and I don't want to look it up either or it'll probably end up with me NEEDING one.
  • Mihani
    Options
    I think my blender, steamer, and food processor get the most regular use. The other gadgets mostly collect dust. I do think I'd use the Instant Pot though.

Got a little work done today and took a long nap. Now I'm off to the store for sweet potatoes, greens, sparkling water, dog food. I am going to make red lentil kale soup or split pea soup tonight, haven't decided which yet.

B - kind of a late breakfast/early lunch, hummus, super greens, cucumber, tomato on a whole wheat pita flat
    D - soup with a side of steamed veggies and rice
    S - apple

I read a tip to use broccoli slaw with some cut up pepper and onion to make a quick stir-fry. Thought that was a good idea. I use broccoli slaw a lot in pitas and wraps. Love the crunch.
  • Carla_wfpb
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Ruby to the rescue!

A month or so ago, we found Ruby carrying a chicken around in her mouth (Ethel). We had a heck of a time getting Ethel back, and she had several feather missing from the back of her neck. She was a little bit plucked :( She is recovering nicely now, but we were very worried about her. I was so angry at Ruby and I just couldn't hang around her for a few days. I always thought Ruby was protecting the chickens and was pretty devastated that she would hurt them.

Fast forward to today, and I now think she was just keeping Ethel safe.

This morning, I went outside to rub down Ruby while my coffee was brewing (our usual routine). Instead of standing still to let me scratch her, she kept trying to lead me across the yard. So, I put on my shoes and followed her. She went right to the fenced area where the chickens are. There were a lot of feathers around, but we've seen feathers in there lately...Joe looked it up and we figured one or more of them was molting.

Anyway, I went inside and reviewed the security footage for the chicken area and maybe 30 minutes before I was out there, an EAGLE flew into their penned area and attacked Stella!!! It was crazy. In the footage, all of the chickens suddenly book it to the covered pen we have in their area. A few moments go by and then an eagle swoops in and drags Stella across the yard, feathers flying, just out of sight of the camera. A few seconds later, Ruby comes racing up to the pen and scares the eagle away.

Stella seems to be doing fine, but she is missing most of her tail feathers.

I posted the video on fb if anyone wants to see it. Kind of disturbing. I'm so glad we have the camera and know what's going on. I don't know what we can do to make them safer, other than building a second outdoor covered pen so they have places to run to.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Oh my goodness Carla! Yay Ruby!!! What a good good doggie. I remember back in high school when we lived in the country, my dogs would catch rabbits out in the woods, which made me so sad, but they always seemed to know the difference with the pet rabbits. Then a neighbor dog got in the run and got one of my pet rabbits, one of my dogs totally kicked his *kitten* and then she was standing over the rabbit guarding it, but he was too far gone and a neighbor with a gun came over and shot the rabbit for us. :( So sad, but was so proud of my dog. I would like to think she was guarding it and not fighting for rights anyway lol. Hard to say with dogs sometimes. Fortunately I was not home when it happened, but my poor mother had to deal with it.

That's crazy an eagle did that, but I guess it figured hey there's food all penned up for the taking. Nature is beautiful and also kind of disgusting and violent at times!

Had a crazy day at work. Tired and brain is fried, but do need to get a little more work done before bed so I'm off to get it done. Still hanging tough with the Engine 2 but allowing a bit of alcohol here and there which appears to be stalling my weight loss as usual. Going to have to give it up completely for a couple months I'm sure, if I want real results.
  • Mihani
    Options
    That is hilarious, mfp changed *kitten* to "kitten" in my post lol
  • whats_her_name
    Options
    I've been up too late all week already; with kitty waking me up too early. What is with the 4am pay attention to me NOW attitude?!?!?!?

But I'm going to make an effort to go to bed early tonight. I NEED sleep and I NEED my zombies!!!

My DD got braces yesterday. She's excited about them and thinks she looks cute with them, but her teeth hurt and she doesn't want to chew anything. So I made her jello for her snack last night, and then this morning I gave her yogurt for breakfast, and a giant green smoothie for lunch and I'm making her (vegan) potato leek soup for supper. Hopefully her teeth will feel better tomorrow.

So other than the yogurt, my day is set too. For bfast I wasn't quite as healthy though; I had some OSG granola cluster and some roasted chickpeas and some pretzels. LOL! Lazy!!!
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    "my dog totally kicked his *kitten*"
    I was trying to incorporate it into your story and it was just one animal too many! lol funny

Having injured or sick animals is one that thing really scares me. I want to keep them all safe. So far I have been lucky and Joe has been home when things go wrong.

Joe saw Ruby eat a wild rabbit, so I know they aren't safe from her. We have a lot of little bunnies running around in our fields...I guess that's why the eagles are hanging around here now. Hopefully the fish run soon and the eagles go back to the shore and leave our little ladies alone. In the meantime, I'm happy to see that they are being extra cautious and spending most of their time in the open, covered pen we have for them.

Hope you are getting through your work okay, Mihani. You put in so many hours. I think I want you to have time off more than you do though LOL. as long as you are hanging in there and doing okay.

Lia...thinking about you today! I think your due date is today? Or really close?

• Mihani
    Options
    I have been thinking of Lia too! I sent her a PM the other day and she hasn't read it yet, so now I am really wondering??!! Can't wait to hear from her, but I guess I have to!

Karrie hope you get some sleep! I am the same, if I don't get adequate sleep nothing goes right including exercise and diet. Today was one of those days although I did pretty well. Ate a few pretzels this afternoon but didn't go overboard. My boss seems to be all over the place lately and it is making me more tense. Congrats to your daughter on her braces. I do recall it being painful at times as they adjusted.

Ugh Carla, I had a shepherd who died a few years ago and she was really expert at killing rabbits and I had a bunch around my yard. They finally got smart and moved away, but it broke my heart having to deal with their little dead bodies before they wised up. She was the sweetest, most gentle dog generally, but not when it came to rabbits.

Had a long day but I do have to do a little work tonight. I did some batch cooking last night. Baked regular and sweet potatoes, a double batch of E2 hummus, steamed some asparagus, chopped and cleaned a package of romaine. Set for a few days.

B - oatmeal with greens, a few walnuts, banana
    L - romaine and super greens salad with hummus, black beans, grape tomatoes
    D - sweet potato, asparagus, roasted chickpeas
    S - a few pretzels
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    Is it bad that I'm relieved that Ruby eats the rabbits when she catches them? I don't want to have to deal with little fuzzy dead bunnies. Ruby is restricted to the fenced back yard, and the rabbits have a ton of field around, but I guess they go into the yard sometimes.

I once again decided to pick up another hobby. I think I might need an intervention lol. I am spinning my own yarn now. I didn't go over the deep end for a change...I am renting a spinning wheel from week to week while I try it out and see if I want to invest in my own wheel. It turns out that it is more difficult than it looks, but really opens up a ton of options if I can make my own yarn for my tapestries.

Here's my first sample of yarn. Luckily I'm going for a thick and thin crazy yarn, because I couldn't make it normal if I tried right now! I'm also lucky that I'm weaving with it, so the integrity of the yarn isn't crucial. (LOL looking at it now it looks like a hot mess. I'll have to post more yarn later to redeem myself.)

3flwep6p4rnc.jpg

• whats_her_name
    Options
    Carla, it's addicting; I know!!

here was my first ever attempt at spinning:
    image_medium2.jpg

I was pretty pleased with it, but it was such a small amount of yarn that I could only make this little monster with it for my DS:
    image_medium2.jpg

• Mihani
    Options
    Karrie and Carla, you make me so jealous with your energy and talent! Beautiful yarn y'all.

Oh Carla, well, my old shepherd that was so good at killing rabbits, I admit that I let her back out to finish one off that I had called her off from. The alternative would have been for me to go out and hit it with a shovel or something, which my sis in law had to do once with a squirrel her dog caught, and I couldn't cope. So no, you are not awful. Have you ever read Watership Down?

So on a less depressing note, I'm still rocking whole food plant based not eating crap kinda thing.

B - skipped it, I have been taking my oatmeal (with greens and fruit) to the office instead of eating at home and I got so busy right off the bat never ate it, so...
    L - oatmeal
    D - the salad I took for lunch, piled on a pita

Life. Work.
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    Lovely yarn, Karrie! Did you spin two singles and then ply them together?

Mihani, I haven't read Watership Down, should I? It can't be sad though! Great job on the plant based diet.

Today our hens are cooped up for the day. Normally Joe will open their door when he leaves for work early in the morning. Due to the Eagle incident, we thought it would be better for me to let them out a little later when I can keep an eye out and when Ruby is awake. Now it's raining and their sliding wood panel is all wet and expanded and I can't lift it.

The Eagle video went viral, sort of, and received over 300,000 views the last time I checked. Here's the non fb link: https://imgur.com/xa9pQVI

I'm so proud of Ruby and happy that Stella seems just fine. All of the ladies are now more cautious so I think overall it turned out okay.

More work to do and a deadline looming so I better get to it!
  • Mihani
    Options
    That video is terrifying, Carla. Thank goodness for Ruby! I don't know if Stella would have escaped if not for her. I told a friend of mine about it, she and her husband raise chickens, and she said just the other day she got home and her neighbors told her they saw hawks take off with 3 of their chickens. :( Watership Down is an interesting read, it's a story about some rabbits and how they escape a doomed warren and establish a new home. The characters are really wonderful. One of my favorite books when I was a kid and I recently re-read it and still very much enjoyed it.

I went off the rails today. Walked in the door of the office to chaos, never ate my oatmeal, ate a leftover baked potato at some point which was fine, but then had a lara bar and some pretzels too. Ate my oatmeal for a late lunch and brought my salad home for dinner again. I have a couple files under deadline that have to be finished so I'm off to get work done. NOT going to the office on Saturday. Will bring work home. I am finding more and more I have to have one day that I get to be quiet and not have anyone making demands on me, even if I'm working at least I'm home.

• Carla_wfpb
    Options
    Yikes, Mihani, that is too bad about your friend's chickens. Joe saw a red tailed hawk scoping out our chicken area this morning. He said that the chickens all seemed very aware of the hawk and were hidden under the trees. I am glad the previous owners set the orchard/chicken area up the way they did so that the chickens can fertilize the trees and the trees can hide them from predators.