Stress-fueled sugar binge hangover

Options
ladonmwilliams
ladonmwilliams Posts: 12 Member
I am a pretty shy person and this is actually really hard for me to share, but I am trying new techniques to deal with my emotions so here it goes;

This weekend some events took place with my family that were VERY triggering. It took me back to a place of my emotionally abusive past marriage and left me feeling unloved, taken for granted, unappreciated, deceived, and overwhelmed. I did not cope well. I turned to an old familiar foe -- sugar (ultimately abusing myself). I took down fried fish and bread, ice cream cones, copious amounts of pasta, fried chicken, cookies, and chips. It was not all in one day, but damaging nonetheless. These are food that I know make me feel like garbage later. Now I am suffering the consequences...poor sleep, sinus issues, mood swings, low energy, brain fog and 6 lbs of water weight gain. Seeing that scale head in the wrong direction was enough to get me back on track this morning but I am a little bummed about the setback.

I am quite tired of this roller coaster, constantly starting over. Why can't I shake this impulse to turn to the one thing I know doesn't serve me well to deal with an already bad situation. I know I am not the first or only one to suffer this.

Advice, tips, tricks, coping techniques? I'll try them all.

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Hi, So sorry you had that sad day with family. I know how that can be.

Take a look at the first three topics on the home page of our Emotional Eaters group. There are tons of helps, tips and ideas. The third one is helpful as people share their own experinces, which has helped me many times to narrow down what the problem is and some ways to shift the emotional attachment to food.

Sometimes its as simple as my macros are not actually fullfilling my needs and I hit that vulnerable moment in a situation that is emotionally negative and then I fail to have any control over my eating for comfort, or its eating to chock down the anger or sadnesses.

Congratulations for turning this around so quickly! Good on you and keep on.
  • ladonmwilliams
    ladonmwilliams Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you @Gamliela, I will check out those topics ASAP! I didn't even think about a deficiency in my macros causing an issue. When I looked back at the ratios for that day and the day prior my fat was way down. Great insight and thanks for the encouragement!
  • WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It does not matter how many times you get off track, what matters is how many times you get back on.

Do you have someone in your life who gives you the kind of emotional support you need and want? Someone who tells you by word and by deed that you are precious and deserving of kindness? Or are the person everyone else turns to for this kind of support, but there is no one there for you? When there is that kind of imbalance in our lives, it is all too often very challenging to get the nurture that we need. Even tougher is the impulse to believe we do not deserve the care we lavish on others.

Try to believe me when I say this: You are worthy of being treated well. You deserve respect and love. I'm sorry that you had such a rough time recently, and that getting your need for care and understanding and esteem has been so difficult.

Something that helps me break free of the urge to harm myself is the strategy of talking to myself the way I would to a beloved friend. I tell myself that my mistakes are forgivable, that I deserve love, that people who hurt me are wrong. No harsh judgments, no recrimination, only encouraging, soothing, kind words.
  • amylahminute
    amylahminute Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Hugs. We do have some mindfulness techniques we talk about in our group over here.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/120445-mindfulness-nerds

If you don't join, that's totally fine. We're not for everybody. Then just look up "The Work" by Byron Katie. I think she has some good tools that could help you.