Oatmeal or no oatmeal

Options
13»

Replies

• Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Regular instant oatmeal makes my blood sugar go up to about 180 or 190 after 2 hours, which is honestly the highest I've ever seen it, and I feel like CRAP. I'm out of test strips, so haven't tested with the Superfoods stuff, but don't feel like crap. I do get more of an urge for Elevensies, whereas if I eat salami and mozzarella instead, I don't feel the urge for Second Breakfast or Elevensies and am good until lunch.

However, the blends with the nuts and seeds in it as well (Q'ia, which has no actual oatmeal in it, or Superfoods Oatmeal, which has oatmeal with pumpkin seeds and nuts and such) don't do it, even with a few raisins for sweetness and some coconut milk powder.

I do, however, regulate it very closely to prevent it from creeping up on me. I put 40g of the oatmeal mix in the jar, then 10g raisins, then 10 g coconut milk powder. I set up a bunch of jars at once, then just add hot water to them in the morning.

Note: I am not currently eating low carb. I'm taking small steps towards lowering my carbs, but am definitely not there yet.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Twibbly wrote: »
    Regular instant oatmeal makes my blood sugar go up to about 180 or 190 after 2 hours, which is honestly the highest I've ever seen it, and I feel like CRAP. I'm out of test strips, so haven't tested with the Superfoods stuff, but don't feel like crap. I do get more of an urge for Elevensies, whereas if I eat salami and mozzarella instead, I don't feel the urge for Second Breakfast or Elevensies and am good until lunch.

However, the blends with the nuts and seeds in it as well (Q'ia, which has no actual oatmeal in it, or Superfoods Oatmeal, which has oatmeal with pumpkin seeds and nuts and such) don't do it, even with a few raisins for sweetness and some coconut milk powder.

I do, however, regulate it very closely to prevent it from creeping up on me. I put 40g of the oatmeal mix in the jar, then 10g raisins, then 10 g coconut milk powder. I set up a bunch of jars at once, then just add hot water to them in the morning.

Note: I am not currently eating low carb. I'm taking small steps towards lowering my carbs, but am definitely not there yet.

Freezing/refrigerating the oatmeal after cooking lowers it's rapid spiking of blood sugar as well. I've started not even cooking mine recently. 175g whole milk greek yogurt, a half cup of kefir, about 71g of rolled oats, half cup of water, 30-50g of almond slivers, 150g of strawberries or blueberries, and stick it in the fridge for a few hours. Better texture as well, imo.

Obviously the numbers can he scaled down from my 700-900 kcal batch as well. Bulking and all of that.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    baconslave wrote: »
    mmultanen wrote: »
    I hate oatmeal. in no form do I enjoy it. Texture is gross, taste is gross, barf-o-rama. But my kids and husband love it. LOVE IT. Would eat it daily. Steel cut, rolled, anything but instant they love it so we have it around but I wouldn't know what to do with it if it jumped out of the cupboard and said "EAT ME!" I'd probably just chuck it in the bin and tell it to quit scaring me.

This is me. It is vile. Makes me gag.

That's funny. I like it fine, only steel cut (texture thing), more in savory preparations than sweet, but mostly I find it pleasant but bland (which is something I sometimes enjoy). I don't crave it (except on rare occasion when I'm sick I want that blandness), don't miss it, prefer eggs most days, but to me it's unremarkable enough that I can't understand people having a strong reaction to it. (It's like when a friend told me she hated celery. Celery? It's just kind of unnoticeable.)

I just think taste things are funny, though -- I really hate cold cereal, all kinds, with milk or without, and even though you'd think I'd consider that boring and unremarkable I have a rather strong negative reaction to it (probably because it was pushed on me as a kid and everyone else seems to love it). Oh, well. ;-)

Anyway, if doing oats with lower carb/high fat macros I'd do a savory preparation (with an egg) or else take advantage of the ability to have nuts in it. For OP, if you feel good despite eating it and aren't hungry soon after, maybe the fiber is sufficient to balance it or it just isn't something you react to, since glucose response seems to vary.

It's hilarious.
    People are so funny about food sometimes. Watching the difference between my 4 kids...foods one loves, the others won't touch with a pole. I have 1 kid who eats raw tomatoes like apples; another abhors tomatoes, raw or cooked, unless they are in spaghetti or pizza sauce. The funniest is my brother-in-law, who, every time husband's family has mashed potatoes, gets his own bowl of the potatoes before they are mashed. Just boiled, but potatoes, with butter and salt. I tease him that he is afraid of mashed potatoes. A 30-something-year-old, 6-ft tall man, afraid of potatoes mashed. But I get it. Taste/texture can be powerful. Oatmeal and okra for me. And soup...ew. But that's due to a weird pregnancy aversion I developed with one of the kids that never left. I used to hate pumpkin pie, started craving it during my 2nd pregnancy, got an aversion to it forever in my 3rd. I will forever NEVER eat eggplant again after my mom made a terrible eggplant lasagna that gave me acid reflux for 2 days. :lol: I do not like Japanese/Chinese food any longer after having food poisoning from eating fried rice, sesame chicken, and the shrimp sauce. :grimace: Psychology, biochemistry, and the senses are fascinating.

• noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I LOVE oatmeal, and when I was eating it I ate it with a scoop of my chocolate protein powder, a little bit of unsweetened coconut, pecans and blueberries. OMG, soooo good. Even my son started begging me to make it for him, and he didn't even like oatmeal before that. I recently tried a flax/chia seed "noatmeal" recipe, but it wasn't the same. It was ok, but it wasn't oatmeal.