Got duped by net carbs!

Options
4031isaiah
4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
I had a hankering for pancakes this morning and don't do dairy so I looked up dairy-free "low carb" pancakes. The recipe called for coconut flour which I don't use often and got from a bulk food store so there is no nutritional info on the bag. I followed the recipe and wolfed down one small pancake (the recipe made 6). Before I ate another, I decided to log the first one. To my shock, I discovered that the actual total grams of carbs for the entire batch is 78 and one pancake has 13g of carbs! (Most of which came from the coconut flour). I went back to double check the recipe and nutrition info in the website and realized it said NET carbs! I googled that and discovered that "net" adds a totally different meaning to carb calculating that just cost me nearly my entire day's allotment!

I feel tricked! I'm so angry and still hungry!

Replies

• 4031isaiah
    edited May 2017
    Options
    And the worst part is, they were actually very good! It bugs me to waste the rest but I've been working very hard to stay committed to low carb that eating more just to avoid wasting them doesn't seem worth it.

So many good and expensive ingredients... :(
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    There is a controversy among many whether to use net or actual carbs. Like you, I use actual carbs for my count.
    As far as deliciousness goes, yesterday I made home baked bread, froze most. Tomorrow my son and grand baby are coming over and she loves a slice of my homemade bread along with her lunch (which will be salad and several bbqed meats and maybe creamed spinach creamed with a little sour cream. Anyway. I fell off the wagon and ate several slices and had way over the carbs I should have, and actually yesterday was supposed to be a fast day so I was supposed to have 0 carbs.
    It was delicious. I did not even get knocked out of ketosis.
    The moral of this story is that a slip up once in a while, even if you did feel like you got defrauded into it, is going to be OK.
  • 4031isaiah
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I agree about indulging every now and then but honestly, if I'm going to indulge, go way over my carb count and risk getting kicked out of ketosis, it's not going to be on sugar free, dairy free, flax/chia, coconut flour pancakes, you know?!?

I put the rest in a Ziploc baggie and will decide what to do with them later.
  • 4031isaiah
    edited May 2017
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Phinney, Volek, et al. don't count fiber, as it generally isn't turned to glucose. So why count it? Not seeing it. :/

I don't understand.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Carbs=net carbs many places too. I think the US is unusual in including fiber in the carb count. My goal is higher and my fiber consumption doesn't vary that much, so I have a total carb goal (56, although I'd really like to get it under 50 if I could without becoming neurotic about the carbs in my veg or limiting them, neither of which I find currently possible) and just look at net carbs to see where they are (30s, normally), but that's just simplistic -- I think if you are not doing something like eating fiber boosted foods to get fiber up and reduce carb count that net carbs probably is what matters. I'm also new, so take this as it's worth.

Thus, if my concern were specifically ketosis or keeping down glucose, I think I'd use net carbs (and part of that is based on Phinney and Volek, who I've been reading).
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I know you said no dairy, do you eat eggs? I have a recipe that's really good and uses very little coconut flour
  • jayerde
    jayerde Posts: 35 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Phinney, Volek, et al. don't count fiber, as it generally isn't turned to glucose. So why count it? Not seeing it. :/

Yeah I agree re:fibre. No reason not to go with net Carbs especially as a one off.

Not that I have that much choice in New Zealand standard packaging uses net carbs...
  • 4031isaiah
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I know you said no dairy, do you eat eggs? I have a recipe that's really good and uses very little coconut flour

By dairy, I mean products made from cows milk. Yes, thankfully I can and do eat lots of eggs and I would love a good actual low carb pancake recipe.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Carbs=net carbs many places too. I think the US is unusual in including fiber in the carb count. My goal is higher and my fiber consumption doesn't vary that much, so I have a total carb goal (56, although I'd really like to get it under 50 if I could without becoming neurotic about the carbs in my veg or limiting them, neither of which I find currently possible) and just look at net carbs to see where they are (30s, normally), but that's just simplistic -- I think if you are not doing something like eating fiber boosted foods to get fiber up and reduce carb count that net carbs probably is what matters. I'm also new, so take this as it's worth.

Thus, if my concern were specifically ketosis or keeping down glucose, I think I'd use net carbs (and part of that is based on Phinney and Volek, who I've been reading).

Thanks for clarifying. I had no idea what that was supposed to mean.

I log my food in MFP and it counts straight carbs so it's easier for me to set my macros and stick to straight carbs as well. That works for me.

My post was more of a vent that I thought the recipe I followed was based on actual carbs and it wasn't until it was too late that I discovered otherwise.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    This is what I use, it's a waffle recipe but should work for pancakes. Just sub the milk and butter for non dairy alternatives http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2015/12/08/keto-waffles/
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Google cream cheese or ricotta cheese pancakes! You can also use protein powder and stiff egg whites to make HUGE pancakes. Lots of other options out there to play with :)
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    ... but honestly, if I'm going to indulge, go way over my carb count and risk getting kicked out of ketosis, it's not going to be on sugar free, dairy free, flax/chia, coconut flour pancakes, you know?!?

I definitely know what you mean, but for the sake of other people reading this thread, I would like to say that that can be kind of a slippery attitude. It can lead to the "f### it" mentality when one does go over their allotment and create a downward spiral. If one does go over on their carb count, if it is accidental, with coconut flour like in this case, or whatever, it should just be that isolated event. Otherwise it's not a longterm sustainable lifestyle, if carbs are always considered to be lurking.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I consider low carb sweets and faux foods indulging because that's what they are. Food like that is never meant for regular eating. If eating low carb or keto, when it's time for an indulgence for a special occasion it makes sense for it to be a low carb or keto dessert or whatever food.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »
    Google cream cheese or ricotta cheese pancakes! You can also use protein powder and stiff egg whites to make HUGE pancakes. Lots of other options out there to play with :)

I don't do dairy. That's why I was looking for a dairy free alternative.
  • 4031isaiah
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I consider low carb sweets and faux foods indulging because that's what they are. Food like that is never meant for regular eating. If eating low carb or keto, when it's time for an indulgence for a special occasion it makes sense for it to be a low carb or keto dessert or whatever food.

Agreed. I have no intention of "indulging" on non-Keto treats any time soon. I was just saying that those pancakes were not meant to be an indulgence. They were meant to be a low carb Keto friendly breakfast meal. They were good for what they were but not something I would want to have responsible for tripling my carb count.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    This is what I use, it's a waffle recipe but should work for pancakes. Just sub the milk and butter for non dairy alternatives http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2015/12/08/keto-waffles/

Great! Thanks!
  • 4031isaiah
    edited May 2017
    Options
    jayerde wrote: »

Yeah I agree re:fibre. No reason not to go with net Carbs especially as a one off.

Not that I have that much choice in New Zealand standard packaging uses net carbs...

I'm not particularly low carb, but when I *do* cut my carbs, I always go with net, because of my vegetable consumption. For me, it's like the "free" vegetables on weight watchers. I would want an approach that encourages lots of vegetables. For whatever that's worth.

Thanks! I guess we all have our preferences. Mine is to count actual carbs and try to stay under a certain number. I wasn't really looking to be convinced otherwise, I was just expressing my frustration about a website that posted a recipe that wasn't clear about the carb count being advertised.