Options

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    jayerde wrote: »
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Phinney, Volek, et al. don't count fiber, as it generally isn't turned to glucose. So why count it? Not seeing it. :/

Yeah I agree re:fibre. No reason not to go with net Carbs especially as a one off.

Not that I have that much choice in New Zealand standard packaging uses net carbs...

I'm not particularly low carb, but when I *do* cut my carbs, I always go with net, because of my vegetable consumption. For me, it's like the "free" vegetables on weight watchers. I would want an approach that encourages lots of vegetables. For whatever that's worth.

Thanks! I guess we all have our preferences. Mine is to count actual carbs and try to stay under a certain number. I wasn't really looking to be convinced otherwise, I was just expressing my frustration about a website that posted a recipe that wasn't clear about the carb count being advertised.

I've found lots of sites to be pretty off on some of that stuff even when they are actually showing total carbs. Best bet is to create the recipe or meal on mfp so you can calculate it accurately to make sure it'll work for you.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    jayerde wrote: »
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Phinney, Volek, et al. don't count fiber, as it generally isn't turned to glucose. So why count it? Not seeing it. :/

Yeah I agree re:fibre. No reason not to go with net Carbs especially as a one off.

Not that I have that much choice in New Zealand standard packaging uses net carbs...

I'm not particularly low carb, but when I *do* cut my carbs, I always go with net, because of my vegetable consumption. For me, it's like the "free" vegetables on weight watchers. I would want an approach that encourages lots of vegetables. For whatever that's worth.

Thanks! I guess we all have our preferences. Mine is to count actual carbs and try to stay under a certain number. I wasn't really looking to be convinced otherwise, I was just expressing my frustration about a website that posted a recipe that wasn't clear about the carb count being advertised.

Yup. I get that. cheers.
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I've found lots of sites to be pretty off on some of that stuff even when they are actually showing total carbs. Best bet is to create the recipe or meal on mfp so you can calculate it accurately to make sure it'll work for you.

For sure! Lesson learned.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I consider low carb sweets and faux foods indulging because that's what they are. Food like that is never meant for regular eating. If eating low carb or keto, when it's time for an indulgence for a special occasion it makes sense for it to be a low carb or keto dessert or whatever food.

Agreed. I have no intention of "indulging" on non-Keto treats any time soon. I was just saying that those pancakes were not meant to be an indulgence. They were meant to be a low carb Keto friendly breakfast meal. They were good for what they were but not something I would want to have responsible for tripling my carb count.

No doubt! I tried a few recipes like that at one time but it just wasn't worth it and they weren't satisfying. Then I realized they did quite a number on my stomach! Ugh!

I once shared a zero carb pancake recipe. I never made it so I don't know how it was. It used crushed unflavored pork rinds, eggs and cream cheese. I don't know if anything else was in them. I suppose you could add vanilla and/or cinnamon and top with whipped cream or cinnamon butter...
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    This is what I use, it's a waffle recipe but should work for pancakes. Just sub the milk and butter for non dairy alternatives http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2015/12/08/keto-waffles/
    I make these waffles (sans sweetener) a lot. Yum
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Good to know! I'll try them.
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I consider low carb sweets and faux foods indulging because that's what they are. Food like that is never meant for regular eating. If eating low carb or keto, when it's time for an indulgence for a special occasion it makes sense for it to be a low carb or keto dessert or whatever food.

I understand what you are saying but have made a different choice for now. I am going to enjoy real carb treats- the slice of wedding cake, or the birthday cake for my grand baby, or even rare treats for myself.
    I agree with your choice for yourself. Maybe my periods of fasting which will make short work of the occasional carb that comes its way made a difference in my decision.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »
    Google cream cheese or ricotta cheese pancakes! You can also use protein powder and stiff egg whites to make HUGE pancakes. Lots of other options out there to play with :)

I don't do dairy. That's why I was looking for a dairy free alternative.

Egg whites make awesome pancakes if you beat them to stiffness and then add in flavor. Just dont be expecting true old style pancake flavor.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I agree about indulging every now and then but honestly, if I'm going to indulge, go way over my carb count and risk getting kicked out of ketosis, it's not going to be on sugar free, dairy free, flax/chia, coconut flour pancakes, you know?!?

Totally relating. :p
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Google cream cheese or ricotta cheese pancakes! You can also use protein powder and stiff egg whites to make HUGE pancakes. Lots of other options out there to play with :)

I don't do dairy. That's why I was looking for a dairy free alternative.

Egg whites make awesome pancakes if you beat them to stiffness and then add in flavor. Just dont be expecting true old style pancake flavor.

I'm open to that. Do you have a recipe?
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I haved walked many foods out of my house to the dumpster! And many more, I wish I had...
    I figure, I'm worth a few dollars worth of mistakes.I'm really trying to do this plan, fighting insidious food addictions and due to my food history - every carb counts.
    Once I fully realize it might get the best of me...if I'm lucky...I bag it up and dump it.
    Usually, i feel relieved and good about myself for doing it.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of this recipe for pancakes -- http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2014/07/egg-fast-recipe-snickerdoodle-crepes-low-carb.html

I don't know if a non-dairy cream cheese would work, but it's simple enough to be worth a try. I just do it without the sweetener.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I had a hankering for pancakes this morning and don't do dairy so I looked up dairy-free "low carb" pancakes. The recipe called for coconut flour which I don't use often and got from a bulk food store so there is no nutritional info on the bag. I followed the recipe and wolfed down one small pancake (the recipe made 6). Before I ate another, I decided to log the first one. To my shock, I discovered that the actual total grams of carbs for the entire batch is 78 and one pancake has 13g of carbs! (Most of which came from the coconut flour). I went back to double check the recipe and nutrition info in the website and realized it said NET carbs! I googled that and discovered that "net" adds a totally different meaning to carb calculating that just cost me nearly my entire day's allotment!

I feel tricked! I'm so angry and still hungry!

I'm surprised coconut flour had that many carbs. It's considered low carb. What's the fiber count?
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Mostly fiber. Aka: passes through, doesn't count.
  • kpk54
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Always depends on how big (and thick) the pancake is. The ever popular serving size. I bought a bag of coconut flour a year ago. I still have all but 1/4 cup remaining. 1/4 cup (35 grams) has 21 total carbs and 13 grams of fiber thus 8 net carbs. 1/4 cup of coconut flour wouldn't make a very satisfying pancake to me and it would be 8 net carbs for just the coconut flour. No wonder I still have it sitting in the refrigerator a year later. I need to just throw it away.

Everything counts in the end. JMHO.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Always depends on how big (and thick) the pancake is. The ever popular serving size. I bought a bag of coconut flour a year ago. I still have all but 1/4 cup remaining. 1/4 cup (35 grams) has 21 total carbs and 13 grams of fiber thus 8 net carbs. 1/4 cup of coconut flour wouldn't make a very satisfying pancake to me and it would be 8 net carbs for just the coconut flour. No wonder I still have it sitting in the refrigerator a year later. I need to just throw it away.

Everything counts in the end. JMHO.

1/4 cup of coconut flour would make a whole batch of pancakes (for one of the recipes I found, that's 12 pancakes). That's 13g of fiber on top of the fat and protein from the eggs, butter, and whatever milk-type additive for additional moisture is in the recipe. (And doesn't include other filling additives like chia or flax.)

I don't know, that sounds pretty darn filling to me. At least as far as pancakes go.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    If you can exercise and burn off those net carbs it will not impact your blood glucose level compared to letting normal non-exercise body functions burn off the carbs

Carbs are just high octane fuel for your engine, or muscles. Some jogging or cycling buns off carbs.

It is good to have the option of once in a while just burning off the calories you took in with exercise

At the end of the day my body does. Or know why I have met 20 carbs worth of glucose in the system. It does not know if I consumed only 20 or at 100 and burnt off 80.

I know that sugar alcohols are not like bacon for my diet. Veggie fibrous carbs really do seem to be magically invisible!
  • kpk54
    Options
    hj6dtdj45cni.jpg
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Always depends on how big (and thick) the pancake is.

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Here is my simple solution - don't eat foods that are just fake versions of crappy carbage.

I do think there is much variability from person to person on how fiber as well as sugar alcohols are processed in terms of both BG and insulin. That said, I think everyone is safer using total and then, once adapted testing to see how different foods affect you personally.

However, based on what I consistently see in threads here and elsewhere is these fake versions cause cravings which lead to eating the actual crappy carbage.

If one completely avoids the faux carbage and artificial sweeteners for about 2-3 months, most will see such a change in the sensitivity of taste buds that all the real food tastes so much better and if one does eat something artificially sweetened, it will taste too sweet to the point of being gross.

I am typically in the group that says, "better to ask for forgiveness than permission" and instead of asking who said it was ok asking if it is specifically prohibited. However, in this regard, seeing how many people seem to be drawn into failure in this area, I am more of a "better safe than sorry" in this specific area. That said, if one is going to use net carbs instead of total, I would recommend only subtracting naturally occurring fiber in real food - i.e. in vegetables - and not in faux foods - i.e. keto desserts, low carb tortillas/breads - and not subtracting sugar alcohols at all.