Yep, I just babbled nonstop at someone about keto

Options
LizinLowell
LizinLowell Posts: 208 Member
Another artist at the studios where I have my space mentioned she was looking at a diet plan that was supposed to help reverse Alzheimers and I was off to the races. OMG you guys, I swore I would just mention it but I could not stop yammering about keto!! I sounded like a zealot. She was so nice to listen to me but wow. I tried to rein myself in but nope. Hoo boy. Luckily we are good friends and she probably won't be avoiding me in the halls but yeah. Wish I could have held back a tiny bit LOL.

But has that happened to you? You know this vitally important information and it feels negligent not to share it? I made sure to mention everyone is different and showed her some sites to do her own research. Anyway, now she knows, more than she ever wanted to know HA! I'll see what she does with the info. I told her I understood if she never tried it but that if she did I am here for endless questions about how it works and what to try.

Have you ever gotten a friend or relative to try low carb? Did they stick with it?

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    EXACTLY. I can't not bring it up. I know that some people are geared toward whole health on lower fat, higher carb, but that's just part of the population. I mainly tell folks that you should just try to reduce the carbs at any level. Any reduction is improvement in health. I know that many of the folks I've talked to have attempted some reductions. I don't know anyone who is as cray cray about it, but I figure it can never hurt to let folks know.

P.S. It gets easier not to go on about it, after a while, because you learn the key "TRIGGER" points and phrases to reel them in... Even if they educate themselves now - to research later - and implement anything even later, it's all good by me! :)
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Yup, it's a threesome yes....
  • LizinLowell
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss @AlexandraCarlyle Thanks, friends! Glad it's not just me wanting to share the good news lol. She was already curious so that helped. I did further pique her interest when I mentioned the lowering of inflammation I am experiencing. But I know I overwhelmed her, d'oh! I'll do better next time :smiley:

What are some good words to tantalize them to do their own research?
  • LizinLowell
    Options
    @FIT_Goat @RalfLott Hahaha! You all legit cracked me up, thanks for the laffs :lol:
  • LizinLowell
    Options
    @CoffeeNBooze Wow what a great story! Thanks for sharing, you did your friend such a tremendous favor, IMO, so glad it worked for her.
  • jayerde
    jayerde Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty open about it but it only comes up when I'm either declining food or when people comment on weight loss. If these result in further queries I explain why and my progress but never push other people to go low carb.

I talk about it less now that when I first started as I wanted to be held accountable at the start which means most of my friends know I'm low carbing and a couple have made special effort to make food I can eat :)

• LizinLowell
    Options
    @RalfLott That is fantastic lol, I'm sure you've got many faithful acolytes! But seriously, I guess we are our own best advertisements.
  • LizinLowell
    Options
    @jayerde That's a good point about letting folks know your new dietary needs.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    sixaround1 wrote: »
    @RalfLott That is fantastic lol, I'm sure you've got many faithful acolytes! But seriously, I guess we are our own best advertisements.

Well that's just it. Looking healthier while matter-of-factly fussing over food, inquiring into ingredients, etc., does stick with people.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    LOL If people ask, I tell'em. I try to stop when before they get the fidgety look. You know the one: partially turning away, eyes darting to the side, etc. :D

I'm actually getting better about it. A friend was discussing alzheimer's today and how it is so common now compared to the past. I was so proud of myself when I kept my comments to "some now think it is type 3 diabetes." I'm getting better!

I've had just a handful of people switch to low carb after seeing my success. Mostly friends who are quite open minded and health oriented. About half just tried it, and the others actually stuck with it.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    LOL If people ask, I tell'em. I try to stop when before they get the fidgety look. You know the one: partially turning away, eyes darting to the side, etc. :D

I'm actually getting better about it. A friend was discussing alzheimer's today and how it is so common now compared to the past. I was so proud of myself when I kept my comments to "some now think it is type 3 diabetes." I'm getting better!

I've had just a handful of people switch to low carb after seeing my success. Mostly friends who are quite open minded and health oriented. About half just tried it, and the others actually stuck with it.

Those are some great statistics - congratulations!
  • RalfLott
    edited May 2017
    Options
    My DW has toiled in a hospital for 30+ years. She has seen many folks in their 90s "and they're all skinny," she declares.

Hmm.
  • PaulaJSchiller
    PaulaJSchiller Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    @sixaround1 your comment cracked me up.

If someone asks or is interested I'll explain to some extent, but don't go into too much detail, because I can see their eyes glaze over rather quickly and I get all the typical responses/excuses. I find it exhausting to explain, so I just don't any more. Even with the success I've had I have not had any friends or family jump on board. When they complain about weight gain, aches and pains, acid reflux, high cholesterol, headaches and on and on and on, I say that was all corrected since I change my WOE. It still has not had any effect on anyone, they all want a pill to fix it and not put the effort into changing their life style.

What I hate the most is questions about what I can't eat. I always respond with, I can eat whatever I want, I'm choosing to not eat _______ right now. It does no good for me to explain, all the delicious things I can eat. All they hear is I don't eat bread (pasta, cake, cookies.......etc) and they could never give that up. Like I said exhausting!! I should exercise credit for it!!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    My DW has toiled in a hospital for 30+ years. She has seen many folks in their 90s "and they're all skinny," she declares.

Hmm.

Really good point! It's almost like we only get so many years to attach to our mass so if we carry around extra mass, those extra pounds use up our years faster. Damn it.