2»

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    RalfLott wrote: »
    My DW has toiled in a hospital for 30+ years. She has seen many folks in their 90s "and they're all skinny," she declares.

Hmm.

Really good point! It's almost like we only get so many years to attach to our mass so if we carry around extra mass, those extra pounds use up our years faster. Damn it.

Ingenious, @nvmomketo!

So mass is like a tub of peanut butter - you can smear it all over your first 50 loaves or hoard it for all 110...
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    LOL
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    If I start, I have a hard time stopping. So I only talk about it if they bring it up. To people who just casually inquire, I'm "avoiding sugar". Because cancer and alzheimers and diabetes and it was the sugar industry that vilified fat...and, yeah.
  • LizinLowell
    LizinLowell Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    @PaulaJSchiller Glad I could give you a chuckle with my goofiness :smiley: Your comment is SO FAMILIAR to me!! Yes! Everything you said. So sad no one in your circle can break away from the carb addiction. It really is insidious, as we know. And addiction brain gives terrible advice like "You can't live without bread/pasta." Wrong. Meanwhile we are enjoying our dinners like never before!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    sixaround1 wrote: »
    @PaulaJSchiller Glad I could give you a chuckle with my goofiness :smiley: Your comment is SO FAMILIAR to me!! Yes! Everything you said. So sad no one in your circle can break away from the carb addiction. It really is insidious, as we know. And addiction brain gives terrible advice like "You can't live without bread/pasta." Wrong. Meanwhile we are enjoying our dinners like never before!

I think you may have put your finger on the sugar-coated elephant in the room.

Addiction of whatever stripe gets a real hold on you as it is. But if you also habitually rationalize it in terms of "healthy" or "essential for life" or "prevents starvation mode", the death grip is even stronger. :cold_sweat:
  • LizinLowell
    Options
    Unfortunately true, @RalfLott it's a real shame. And I know what it's like, because that was once me.
  • LizinLowell
    Options
    @Cadori Ha! Glad I'm not the only evangelist :smiley: And yeah *shakes fist at sugar industry*
  • LizinLowell
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :lol: OMG yes.
  • Alaplum
    Alaplum Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ I'm saving this photo to send to my brother. He's a food evangelist. I may become one too. :)
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Amen sistah, pass the broccoli!
  • gcminton
    gcminton Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I've done it with two people: my mom, and one of my best friends. Generally speaking I keep my WOE to myself. I know most people won't want to hear it, and despite the progress I've made I know I don't yet look like someone that knows what I'm doing. Too many people would just see a fat lady eating fatty meats and just know that I'm "doing it wrong."

My friend struggles with lifelong disordered eating, anxiety, and is morbidly obese. We've had long talks about diet and what I'm doing, how much it's been helping me with my own relationship with food and depression/anxiety symptoms. She's reluctant to jump in to something like this because she knows she has a hard time with food and is worried about how she'll handle changes like this, giving up some of her comfort foods, and she really really doesn't cook. So... she eats what we cook for her if she visits or we're at her place, she likes it all, and is slowly changing some of her habits. I try to frame everything in a way that's clearly "this is what I'm doing and why, and I think it's worth considering".

With my mom it was a few years ago and she'd just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes (my dad was diagnosed when I was a kid and never really changed his eating habits seriously). She saw how much weight my fiance had lost eating low carb (50lbs for me, more for him) and was skeptical but was willing to give it a shot. We were living with them temporarily and did the vast majority of the cooking. They loved the food, felt great, were losing weight steadily and largely kept it up after we moved out. Her blood work was improving but her efforts were ultimately thwarted by her doctor. The combination of medication she was on (purely to lower her a1c) and her weight loss led to her doctor saying her a1c was getting too low. The solution? Stop losing weight. Not take her off of the medication and let her continue improving her health to the point where she doesn't need additional help. No no... stop getting better. Stop eating low carb, stop losing weight so she could keep taking that one specific medication.

She listened to her doctor instead of her own experiences because of course her doctors know best, even though she freely admitted she didn't agree and it didn't make sense. She gained back much of what she lost and started feeling worse again and hasn't really looked back. It's so infuriating and sad.

• LizinLowell
    Options
    @gcminton Oh my goodness, your story is totally heartbreaking. How difficult for you to have to watch that happen. I feel for you & I send a million hugs.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Yes, very much yes. I totally become Charlie in that scene when talking about my way of eating -- except I am crazier.
  • LizinLowell
    Options
    @FIT_Goat Ha! Right on, I don't feel so all alone now :smiley:
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options

LOL, you don't even know how insane I sound. If you've been around a while, you already know I am a strict carnivore. I don't eat any plant foods. I don't eat fruit or vegetables and have been known to rant about both those food groups being actively bad for health. Ever seen someone rant about how spinach is bad for your health and butter will save your soul? Yep, then you've heard me in person. :lol:

I really can go on for hours about "nutritional conspiracies and lies!" It's not good.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »

LOL, you don't even know how insane I sound. If you've been around a while, you already know I am a strict carnivore. I don't eat any plant foods. I don't eat fruit or vegetables and have been known to rant about both those food groups being actively bad for health. Ever seen someone rant about how spinach is bad for your health and butter will save your soul? Yep, then you've heard me in person. :lol:

I really can go on for hours about "nutritional conspiracies and lies!" It's not good.

Well, you've got your band of carnivore groupies to back you up. :)