Cheat Days are NOT an Option!

Options
JohnnyLowCarb
JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
Ok, my opinion. But I read on the LCHF and other boards about people who are on weight loss diets and they schedule in cheat days? Slippery slope my friends.

1. One cheat day, leads to another, hey that last cheat didnt hurt too bad, lets have another. You get the point.
2. If you are introducing cheat days into your diet, its making an excuse for not sticking to your plan. Since your reading this on the LC forum, you are most likely committed or said you were committed to a LC diet. There are thousands of tasty, sinfully delightful LCHF options out there. Why would you fool yourself that you have to have that cheat?
3. Ketosis for many is destroyed the minute you ingest too many carbs, for everyone that threshold is different. But it could take some of us 3-5 days to get the fat burning machine running as normal again. Was that cheat worth it?
4. Cheating is just that! You are purposely letting your self down, opening up the possibility of a downward spiral, or worse yet, YOU let a cheat day occur because you are in a weight stall, frustrated that something is not working.

So next time you want to schedule or incorporate an impromptu cheat day remember "your cheating on yourself, letting yourself down, dont do it". Let that temptation go - I guarantee you - You will feel better that let it pass stuck to your plan and can keep charting the course you mapped for yourself!

Success to you all!

Replies

• JohnnyLowCarb
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    Whole30's flowchart is pretty good: https://whole30.com/downloads/off-roading.pdf

I love the flow chart!
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    Options
    Smoked33 wrote: »
    Aside from a bit dramatic a presentation...(and it's great it works for you OP) cheat meals/days can serve several purposes for the keto/lchf eater. Often called 'refeeds' they can provide fuel for intense workout sessions/endurance events whether part of a carb cycling diet or not. For some they actually help bust through weight loss plateaus (myself included) after stalling. They can counter food boredom or allow for one to accommodate events such as birthdays / xmas a bit easier and really for some life is just too short and to deny oneself food choices on occasion that provide enjoyment in the case where they can get right back on track I see no harm (again myself included).

I recognize that for some it can be a slippery slope and for those I'd stay away but its' not as such for all of us.

Dramatic? Well read some of the "Cheat" posts out there and come back. Great for you that you can get away with them, but I find the majority of those trying to lose weight use "cheats" and then are stunned to find there not losing and give up.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    When I was in weight loss mode, I did have special treats on some days but they were usually still within the low carb range. E.g. for Thanksgiving, Christmas or my birthday, I might eat as much as maintenance level but total carbs were still under 100 gm for the day.

Now I'm at maintenance long-term and experimenting with what carb level I want to stick to long term. Will be somewhere under 150; may or may not be keto. I'm experimenting with how the different carb levels affect me. If I have treats I plan them out and am intentional about it and make sure to still log everything.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I have not had a cheat since the day I started.
    I have had low carb desserts for special occasions and that's how I view they are intended to be eaten.
    I am one that just cannot start bargaining to allow certain things back in my life because I will just continue to bargain until I'm right back to eating like I once did.
    That is NOT happening and I won't allow the first step to be made in that direction.

Me neither. And the only desserts I have had, have been home-made yoghurt with LSPA* with goji berries....maybe the occasional blueberry too...

(LSPA = Ground Linseed, Sunflower seed, Pumpkin seed and Almond - to make your own, equal quantities of each BY VOLUME.)
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    All the foods I eat now are what those in the LF world would call cheats. Tonight, I am cooking pork shoulder steak and lamb loin chops in ghee. I may top one or both with blue cheese. With food like this and the bacon wrapped pork rind "breaded" chicken legs I had at lunch, why would I want to eat crappy carbage? This kind of eating is as close to heaven as I could get this side of death.

Awesome

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    CRZYFTM wrote: »
    I had one planned cheat meal back in March. It was planned for weeks and I was really looking forward to it. My best friend came down to watch Beauty and the Beast with me. It was our childhood tradition to have popcorn with candy mixed through ... the popcorn was underwhelming and the gastrointestinal distress it caused for 48 hours was HORRIBLE! Never again! NEVER! AGAIN!
    So not worth it!

How bad was it? ;)

@midwesterner85, any insights to add?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    CRZYFTM wrote: »
    I had one planned cheat meal back in March. It was planned for weeks and I was really looking forward to it. My best friend came down to watch Beauty and the Beast with me. It was our childhood tradition to have popcorn with candy mixed through ... the popcorn was underwhelming and the gastrointestinal distress it caused for 48 hours was HORRIBLE! Never again! NEVER! AGAIN!
    So not worth it!

How bad was it? ;)

@midwesterner85, any insights to add?

Mine wasn't a cheat meal, it was a cheat weekend (Fri. - Sun.). I figured I would have all the foods that I normally miss. The first day was donuts for breakfast, Chinese buffet for lunch, snacking on candy throughout the day, and then a pizza for dinner.

I'm a type 1 diabetic... While I was awake, I was able to keep an eye on BG's, but pizza causes a 2nd wave of glucose hours later, which happened while I was asleep. Woke up with BG of nearly 500, not feeling very energetic, and calf cramps. Continued the 2nd and 3rd day, but didn't eat nearly as much as planned because feeling poorly hurt my appetite. The calf cramps were a symptom of electrolytes getting dumped from muscles back into blood. Severe calf cramps continued and there were times over the next several days that I couldn't even stand, much less walk or run (I'm normally a runner and this put a cog in my training plan as well).

I went back to eating low carb on Mon. after gaining 21 lb. compared with the prior Sun. (1 week gain). Most of that was water weight, of course, but about 6-7 lbs. of fat.

By Wed., I realized that most of the potassium lost from muscles back to blood had been filtered out and I needed to start supplementing potassium in order to have it in blood to be able to re-absorb it into muscle cells. It took several days of high-level potassium supplements to be able to walk and then do some running without serious pain and crippling muscle fatigue even with short distances.

The worst part is that I felt so bad and didn't have my normal appetite on Sat. - Sun. that I still didn't get to eat all the high carb foods I planned to eat and always miss.