Options
124»

Replies

• anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I've never once had the thought of "destroying ketosis" pertaining to weight loss or weight management. Ketosis is not required for weight loss/weight maintenance (for the masses). It does make adherence easier for some.

This is me. I use ketosis for inflammation control with RA. If I'm kicked out due to a little higher carb item one day I'll be back in within hours. I think people forget that you can lose weight without being in ketosis and you gain weight while being in ketosis. It's a tool you can use to meet various goals but it's not magic.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I've never once had the thought of "destroying ketosis" pertaining to weight loss or weight management. Ketosis is not required for weight loss/weight maintenance (for the masses). It does make adherence easier for some.

This is me. I use ketosis for inflammation control with RA. If I'm kicked out due to a little higher carb item one day I'll be back in within hours. I think people forget that you can lose weight without being in ketosis and you gain weight while being in ketosis. It's a tool you can use to meet various goals but it's not magic.

This is not about ketosis it's about people not staying focused on what their goals are and what their plan was to reach their goals.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    3. Ketosis for many is destroyed the minute you ingest too many carbs, for everyone that threshold is different. But it could take some of us 3-5 days to get the fat burning machine running as normal again. Was that cheat worth it?

Speaking for myself: I followed along with the "cheating theme" of the original post until I reached point number 3 as quoted above. Then it suddenly became a need to be be in ketosis...and not and not about cheating.
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Please read the links on the sticky pads called "Fat Adapted vs Ketosis". I stumbled across this information very early on in my journey and it really helped me understand how this all works. Here is a link to part 1 http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2016/01/dont-be-a-ketard1.html

**Warning although I find the author pretty hilarious, she is a little salty. So don't take it personal, she has great information :wink: **
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    If you are familiar with the Bible, you will know Satan went to tempt Jesus after Jesus had been in the desert fasting for 40 days. Why? Because, if you are going to try to get the Son of God to sin, wouldn't you do so when He is at is absolute weakest and most vulnerable - tired and hungry?
    I bet He didn't eat the pizza the devil offered. But some of us fall off the wagon and sin.
    But there are other reasons for cheating, as I pointed out before, no matter how small the portion, if there is a family wedding cake, first birthday, etc I want a taste of the real thing.

I wouldn't call this a cheat. It's a planned treat or day off plan or some such.

Even when I was in weight loss mode I'd build in some maintenance days, and they helped. I'd also flex days.

One person I've been reading in learning about different approaches to keto and low carb is Leanne Vogel, and she builds in refeed/carb-up days. I'm interested in learning the reasons for these, but I think that further supports the fact that some can go off plan occasionally without it hurting themselves or being "a cheat."

Obviously if someone thinks it is a bad idea for them they should not do it, however.