Not Scared Anymore. In A Bad Way. Help

collegefbfan
collegefbfan Posts: 346 Member
Started keto last August and had huge success. Went from almost 260 down to 213. Last two months or so have not been good. At first on keto I was scared to death of carbs, rice, pasta, chips, pizza crust and other crap. Over the last two months I have not been scared. Sushi, pizza here or there. Bread from outback. Back up to 220. What is the key to getting back on track? Fast or just be super strict again. Thanks:

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,761 Member
    I would suggest you start with cutting out the starch carbs, give your body some time to go into ketosis, then start IFs, after a week or so do a long fast, 24 or 48, whatever works for you.

Good luck on your Journey.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,621 Member
    I am not scared of carbs. I just realize they are not healthy for me, and so I am keeping keep my carb intake below 20 net a day. It is just a choice I made, and I see the results on the glucometer, the scales and the results from the blood draw at the doctor's office.

You also have a choice to make.
  • PaulaJSchiller
    PaulaJSchiller Posts: 100 Member
    Were you letting small bits of sugar or carbs back in, prior to eating pizza, sushi and bread? Because even the smallest amounts seem to trigger cravings in me as well so I need to always keep a close eye on what I'm eating. You are worth the effort, time and trouble to keep at this, don't let a set back derail all you've accomplished.
  • collegefbfan
    In the beginning maybe. It is like the weight just wouldn't come back. I had pho like 3 or 4 times in march. The hot soup steam helped. Then the occasional bread and sushi. Then the weight still wouldn't come. The last couple weeks though... BAM
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    I had lost 145 pounds..then maintenance.This is where I've faced my biggest challenges, regained 35 pounds and am struggling to relose 20 pounds of the regain. (35 more is too low for my body to sustain)

So getting back to weight loss keto has been so difficult, and I still stop and start. I do believe there is a addiction element, and an emotional element as well. After 6 months of trying on a daily basis to get back to losing again, I finally feel like I'm getting my keto legs back. Fully embracing the original, no mistakes tolerated, full on Draconian, no holds barred keto.

Waffling in the middle ground doesnt work for me. Once i get back to my new, more realistic goal weight...I'll start the maintenance plan again....eyes wide open.

The moral of this story is..just keep at it til it works..never give up. After a fall, get back on the horse ASAP. There haven't been any easy solutions for me. Just keep at it, as relentlessly as your cravings keep after you.

Call it a craving for the good life.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    You have carb creep...and calorie creep. Which is basically a sugar creep too. Carbs are glucose. There is some other stuff in there too (fibre and nutrition) but it comes down to glucose. Especially for foods like sushi and bread. For me.

I need to go strict to get back on track when I let it go too long. My carbs crept up over the winter and with it, calories went up. I reagained like you did. That is a large part of why I am doing meativore May. I won't have carb creep if I am eating nohing from plants.

Others find hey can keep in those problem foods and stull eat appropriate calories. You could work towards that but at the moment you seem to have a harder time with that. Like I do. Sometimes abstinence is easier. ;)
  • collegefbfan
    Well I weighed 217 this morning. Water fluctuations and all that. I do pretty good for the most part. I also count my achievements. I have not had a soft drink since August. Other things to a minimum. Like French fries maybe once, not a single baked potato, etc. I have slipped up some also. But compared to what I used to do... never going back like that again.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Well I weighed 217 this morning. Water fluctuations and all that. I do pretty good for the most part. I also count my achievements. I have not had a soft drink since August. Other things to a minimum. Like French fries maybe once, not a single baked potato, etc. I have slipped up some also. But compared to what I used to do... never going back like that again.

Where are you drawing the line?
  • Jcamp8705
    Jcamp8705 Posts: 17 Member
    If I'm really craving something I try and find low carb alternatives. If I want pizza I'll buy a low carb Atkins frozen one. If I want chips I'll munch on some pork rinds. You can do this just remember why you started and all the progress you've made already! Take some pictures of your body to see what you have accomplished already and don't beat yourself up! No one perfect
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Take some time to think about what will be sustainable for you life-long. Assuming you want to keep the weight off life-long. Plan for reality, where we all have times of eating off-plan. Teacher appreciation week is going to happen-- as are holidays and celebrations. You have to figure out how you're going to navigate those things-- abstain? For the weight-loss period or forever? Indulge for that day? Insist on a healthy-for-you option? Everyone goes about it from a different perspective.

You could manage some carb meals, but not too many. Do you know how many? Once a month? Once a week? Be curious and figure it out, then use that knowledge to keep this WOE sustainable for you life-long.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Eat the toppings off your Teacher Appreciation pizza, chuck the crust... little children in Somalia will not be saved by you eating all the carb crap offered (in my day it was starving children in Ethiopia ;) .) You can do this! You can make those occasions fit your plan just like you did with the BBQ and the crab feast! Hang in there. Maintenance is waaaay harder than losing the weight, we tend to think that we are invincible now and can add random carbs anytime we feel like it without consequence (I speak from experience, lol.)
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    E"er the voice of wisdom belying your tender years, @canadjineh!