daniabrioschi Posts: 32 Member
    Thanks so much to all of you
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Welcome! Please start a thread!
  • EstrangedTiger
    EstrangedTiger Posts: 543 Member
    edited April 2018
    I'm slowing closing my eating window. At this point, I'm basically doing the Warrior Diet of 20 off and 4 on. This has given me time to have a nutrition rich smoothie, so my main meals can be more fun (but still healthy). I've noticed that if my drink is very nutrition dense (vitamins, minerals, etc), hunger will be much more manageable. Also, I feel so much better! And yes, one can make a tasty green smoothie.

Low calorie days just don't work for me, the hunger is just overwhelming until the next day. This forces a larger eating window.

Yesterday, I was able to have my first legit OMAD day. Prepared my smoothie before hitting the restaurant. Drank the smoothie in the parking lot and ordered my food quickly. Finished the total meal in about 55-65 mins.

Will be one that needs the full hour (and sometimes a little extra) to eat my meal. Eating too fast triggers those old binging impulses.

I struggle with habit eating, boredom eating and stress eating. Just snacking.

• vaughnche
    vaughnche Posts: 10 Member
    I'm slowing closing my eating window. At this point, I'm basically doing the Warrior Diet of 20 off and 4 on. This has given me time to have a nutrition rich smoothie, so my main meals can be more fun (but still healthy). I've noticed that if my drink is very nutrition dense (vitamins, minerals, etc), hunger will be much more manageable. Also, I feel so much better! And yes, one can make a tasty green smoothie.

Low calorie days just don't work for me, the hunger is just overwhelming until the next day. This forces a larger eating window.

Yesterday, I was able to have my first legit OMAD day. Prepared my smoothie before hitting the restaurant. Drank the smoothie in the parking lot and ordered my food quickly. Finished the total meal in about 55-65 mins.

Will be one that needs the full hour (and sometimes a little extra) to eat my meal. Eating too fast triggers those old binging impulses.

I don't know how other people feel about this but I'm utterly unashamed of needing more time to eat. I eat slow, it takes me a while to get a full meal in me, but I would rather have a slow stress-free meal that I enjoy, than a fast, rushed, stressful meal.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    vaughnche wrote: »

I don't know how other people feel about this but I'm utterly unashamed of needing more time to eat. I eat slow, it takes me a while to get a full meal in me, but I would rather have a slow stress-free meal that I enjoy, than a fast, rushed, stressful meal.

The issue isn't an eating time, per se, but the problems start when people keep consuming more food over a longer window. If that is not you, then I see nothing wrong with eating over 4 hours.
  • EstrangedTiger
    edited April 2018

The issue isn't an eating time, per se, but the problems start when people keep consuming more food over a longer window. If that is not you, then I see nothing wrong with eating over 4 hours.

Yes! I set my food/meal out (before I eat) as you have suggested to prevent such an issue. That is really a solid suggestion that I believe is a cornerstone of the process.

Yeah, as I've been saying, eating too quickly is a sure binging trigger for this food addict! It also just feels uncomfortable!

Example: Some of my European friends love the traditional evening meal. You talk and eat several courses over 3-4 hours. This can fit within OMAD. Just no snacking that day, before or after. I'll consider those days to be higher calorie and have fun!
  • RED26RED
    RED26RED Posts: 7 Member
    Today is my first day. I have 100lbs to lose. I started fasting after reviewing Dr. Fung's Obesity Code book. Very eye opening. I don't have a problem with the fasting. I lost approximately 20lbs but now have gotten stuck at 287 for about 2 or 3 weeks. I started doing keto, recommended by my wife, but I don't think it's helping me. Maybe I have the ratios wrong but it's not functioning right for me. I do have occasional alcoholic drinks on weekends but that's not every weekend and it's not cocktails, more like whiskey stuff. This weight has me thoroughly depressed. I feel broken everyday because if it. Family and friends really don't understand how depressing it is to me. I refuse to buy any more suits to wear if I can't fix this. My son is also overweight and I believe that if I'm able to be successful, he will follow his father's example. I can't exercise properly because of a torn meniscus. I used to be in good shape but that's when I had the time and opportunity to exercise 2 hours everyday except on weekends. Your video of losing that weight in 11 months came across very sincere and I could relate to it, so I'm here now. Hopefully I learn how to do this right from you and this community. Thank you.

RED
  • EstrangedTiger
    edited April 2018
    @RED26RED Welcome. I have the same issue with clothing purchases and depression due to my weight gain. However, the fact is I HAD depression, because OMAD/IF works - you just have to stick with the plan.

First: Since you have read the book and are familiar with the physiological changes that occur when fasting, you shouldn’t be down about stagnant weight loss for 2-3 weeks. Could have lost fat, but gained muscle. Did you weigh on the same scale and at the same time on weigh in days?

Second: Also, even if only having one meal a day, the calories can get away with you. Use this app to find your appropriate weight loss calorie deficit number. You may have to track calories until you can eyeball it better. Also, logging food will help you catch yourself snacking, which sabotages IF and OMAD. More on that later...

The good news: You don’t have to exercise to lose weight. I take productive and slow walks to clear my head. Nothing more at this point. Why? Too much abuse on my body. I also have hip, knee and shoulder issues. Adjust your fitness app to the lowest activity setting. Also, you can perform light upper body exercises!

You should be elated. Why? No weight gain and have lost 20 lbs total.

So. Are you keeping a food log? How many days a week are you fasting? Are you breaking your fast inadvertently with calorie drinks during the day? How is your sleep?

Also, one issue with keto advocates, like Dr Fung, is they frown on counting calories. He forgets to say that keto can be self regulating, due to hunger dampening. However...

Snacking on high calorie keto foods can cause problems. Calories in and calories out is a thing, even if the fat burning machine is better optimized. Also, self regulation takes experience. Watch Joe’s videos on how he uses his plate. He also has many videos on how one can overthink it and sabotage their own efforts.

Keto isn’t for everybody. You have to experiment and find your niche. Please, refrain from giving up. Be a good example to your boy. That is an awesome goal! Keto does work for me, due to appetite suppression and a leveling of my mood. However, if a terrific southern fried OMAD meal presents itself, I’m eating it with no guilt.

Have lost 30+ lbs, consistently, while eating some really fun food!

I wish you well. Please introduce yourself in the appropriate thread and allow us to cheer you on!

• RED26RED
    RED26RED Posts: 7 Member
    Thank you EstrangedTiger! That was very nice to read. I'll do that.
  • EstrangedTiger
    edited April 2018
    RED26RED wrote: »
    Thank you EstrangedTiger! That was very nice to read. I'll do that.

Hey, the people here are really nice, honest and supportive. Just following their example, as much as possible.

You have a home here to vent to people that understand and are non judgemental.

Have a good week!
  • frankhenderson
    frankhenderson Posts: 6 Member
    I started OMAD this week. Now its day 7 and everything is great. Yesterday I was at a wedding and reception. That was really hard. Everyone was eating and drinking having a grand time. I ended up leaving early and glad I did. Social events are going to be the hardest part about eating this way. Another issue I had all week was telling people "why" I wasn't eating all day. Nobody understood. Most were concerned for my health and encouraged me to stop. Ready for the next week :)
  • arguablysamson
    I started OMAD this week. Now its day 7 and everything is great. Yesterday I was at a wedding and reception. That was really hard. Everyone was eating and drinking having a grand time. I ended up leaving early and glad I did. Social events are going to be the hardest part about eating this way. Another issue I had all week was telling people "why" I wasn't eating all day. Nobody understood. Most were concerned for my health and encouraged me to stop. Ready for the next week :)

Awesome!

Yeah, gotta be ready to just say something low-key and on the fly like: "Oh, I'm good. I've eaten." Then change the subject. They will come at you big-time.
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member

I've been eating OMAD for over a year and am now in maintenance and I still get people asking me why I'm not eating. I either tell them I already ate or I'm just not hungry. Good Luck :)
  • Poopsy149
    Poopsy149 Posts: 3 Member
    I am happy to find this thread, and find that this is very insightful, I am a beginner and as I have been struggling with comfortably trying to get to 23 hours every day, and forget that I am human and slip sometimes, today I found that I was only able to make it to 18 hours, and surprisingly at work on thursday and Friday I Was able to make it to 20 hours , I have a career that requires many hours a day on my feet and in my department usually walk about 6-8 miles , and suffer that cortisol rebound by the end of the day. one day at a time, I hope to be more comfortable with 23 hours and Omad, perhaps I am not there yet, I will move forward and know that Omad is my answer!
  • EstrangedTiger
    Poopsy149 wrote: »
    I am happy to find this thread, and find that this is very insightful, I am a beginner and as I have been struggling with comfortably trying to get to 23 hours every day, and forget that I am human and slip sometimes, today I found that I was only able to make it to 18 hours, and surprisingly at work on thursday and Friday I Was able to make it to 20 hours , I have a career that requires many hours a day on my feet and in my department usually walk about 6-8 miles , and suffer that cortisol rebound by the end of the day. one day at a time, I hope to be more comfortable with 23 hours and Omad, perhaps I am not there yet, I will move forward and know that Omad is my answer!

After 3-4 months, I’m still working on it. If you need 2-4 hours to eat your food comfortably, so be it. Just plan out the meal beforehand and no snacking! Since I like to use smoothies for veggie consumption, usually takes 2 hours.

• ibscot740232016
    ibscot740232016 Posts: 12 Member
    My stomach is currently being a 3 year old !! Lol, I can hear it whining and gurgling while I'm typing this. I'm not sure what causes me to be much more hungry some days VS other days I'm totally cool. Today has been the worst. I'm on week 3 of OMAD
  • arguablysamson
    My stomach is currently being a 3 year old !! Lol, I can hear it whining and gurgling while I'm typing this. I'm not sure what causes me to be much more hungry some days VS other days I'm totally cool. Today has been the worst. I'm on week 3 of OMAD

Insulin stimulation rebound. You'll be just fine.
  • tuftedghostdeer
    tuftedghostdeer Posts: 24 Member
    I relapsed. I was doing so well and weight was going down and then I hit a wall. One day I was so physically tired. All I wanted to do was sleep. That is not like me at all. I broke down and ate something. I wasn't hungry but looking for energy. The food did help bring me back to life. So then I slipped back into eating 2-3 times a day and started questioning if OMAD was for me. But of course, I am now back to where I started and have gained the 3 pounds I lost back. UGH. SIGH.
  • KatsNewYear
    KatsNewYear Posts: 47 Member
    Hi, I just finight week one of OMAD. I stayed on point. I had some moments where I had to talk myself out of eating and somehow got through. Is anyone still doing this? I see some threads are old.
  • KatsNewYear
    KatsNewYear Posts: 47 Member
    Hi Tuft. You don't always have to do OMAD. There is also 2MAD. Find something you feel comfortable with. Are you eating enough in your meal so you can survive the next day? If you are eating to little you will get hungrier waiting for your time to eat.