! - The OMAD Adaption Pains Thread - !

arguablysamson
arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
edited May 2017 in Social Groups
It is critically important to be HONEST about our struggles, with OMAD or anything else we care to share.

Sometimes, adjusting to hunger pains is somewhat easy (or not that difficult for an individual), but usually, it is not. I've said before that the healthier you are and the closer to your goal weight you are, the less hunger pains you generally have when adapting to OMAD, but it's seldom a straight shot to adaptation for anyone. There are times when it takes nearly a month to adapt to OMAD and sometimes just 3 or 4 days. Usually, you don't feel noticeably better until about 5 to 7 days, sometimes much longer.

BE HONEST ABOUT IT!

Now some want to tow the line and act like everything is fine when they are miserable inside. This thread is reserved for those who, for whatever reason, are struggling to adapt or else breaking in on their beginning of the journey.

Post your feelings, experiences, and struggles - however long or brief - while remembering that you are not alone and that things get easier.

NO ELABORATE QUESTIONS HERE, JUST STRAIGHT-UP EXPRESSIONS AND DIRECT, SHORT ANSWERS ON HOW YOU ARE FEELING IN YOUR DIFFICULT MOMENTS, PLEASE. FEEL FREE TO POST LITTLE GLIMPSES INTO YOUR LIFE. NO JUDGMENT.

Replies

• tlblanksfit
    tlblanksfit Posts: 1,573 Member
    I am in week 3 of doing OMAD and I still get hungry in the mornings. I am able to overcome it and am not at the point where I feel that I have to eat, but I just thought that by now I wouldn't still be hungry. I eat my meal at 6:00pm. It may just be thirst, because I rarely drink anything during the day. I am trying to up my water intake. I also don't have regular BMs since starting OMAD; not sure if that is normal or not, and I am losing weight slower than I would like, however, I am grateful for the 4 pound loss in this first 3 weeks. I am dedicated to the OMAD lifestyle and hope the hungries get better soon.

- Tracey
  • arguablysamson
    edited June 2017
    I am in week 3 of doing OMAD and I still get hungry in the mornings. I am able to overcome it and am not at the point where I feel that I have to eat, but I just thought that by now I wouldn't still be hungry. I eat my meal at 6:00pm. It may just be thirst, because I rarely drink anything during the day. I am trying to up my water intake. I also don't have regular BMs since starting OMAD; not sure if that is normal or not, and I am losing weight slower than I would like, however, I am grateful for the 4 pound loss in this first 3 weeks. I am dedicated to the OMAD lifestyle and hope the hungries get better soon.

- Tracey

It's normal to vary BMs. And yes, depending on how low you start out calorie-wise, some hunger can linger. It will continue to get better.
  • OmadRyback
    OmadRyback Posts: 45 Member
    edited June 2017
    I've had very good days doing omad and then there are those days where my body just feels more stress than I normally do. It is on these days my normal cooping mechanism don't work the way they normally do. I've had head aches, been irritable, felt hungry for hours. I found that it passes after I get my sleep. Getting enough sleep has been the best way to resolve any issue I've had adjusting to the omad approach. To coop I watch Netflix, youtube, and drink coffee. Been a coffee drinker since I was 16 when I started my first job. I drink 6 cups a day of coffee to help with hunger pains. The coffee helps with my energy levels. Keeping to drinking coffee three times a day have been my way of getting back control of this habit. Eventually I want to cut down to two times a day and then slowly just drinking coffee in the morning time. I drink my coffee with one sweet-in-low, and a touch of cream. Sometimes without cream but mostly with cream. I have to be careful because I don't want to break my fast or hurt my efforts by using to much cream. I try to keep my cream usage low, however, I will be honest sometimes I am lazy and don't measure. When I don't measure I just do a drop or two.
  • OmadRyback
    There are times I feel that I am adjusted and then from my history I know I cant relax or let down my guard. Old habits die hard, however, the omad approach has been a great way of defeating the binge temptations. The temptations to eat and snack especially in the middle of the night have gone down to almost 0. The hardest part of the day is around noon. By 2 and on it gets easier because my body relaxes knowing I can eat at 5 pm.
  • arguablysamson
    Gotta get rid of the cream, dude. It is not fast-friendly at all. My coffee uses three Splendas in a half-hot-water/half-coffee mix (most is too strong for me). But it sounds like you are in the swing and handling things well. Most of it is mental, as you are finding out.
  • OmadRyback
    I agree man. The cream is not fasting friendly at all. Most days go by really fast and before I know it is meal time again. Every day 5 pm comes quicker and quicker. Good sign that I am adjusting better and better each day. Cutting the cream out could be the key to cutting down more on my coffee intake. Coffee can raise fat storing hormones I've heard.
  • arguablysamson
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Today is the day before my first splurge day in 4 weeks. For these 24 hours before the splurge, which is a lunch invitation involving a restaurant which isn't my regular mealtime, all I can think of is food. Plus, I feel HUNGRY too and it's not stopping. Now I can see how this is purely a mental thing. After the third week of OMAD, the physical hunger was very manageable. Now it's reared its voracious head again in anticipation of chowing at this clam shack tomorrow and this waiting is VERY HARD.

Yep, it's all mental. Forego it if you at all fear destabilization.
  • OmadRyback
    I've cut my coffee down to 4 cups a day. I drink out of a two cup coffee cup. Drink coffee twice a day with only using cream when I have my meal for the day. During my fasting time I have cut out all the cream and just use one sweetener.
  • arguablysamson
    I'm so happy! I've had my best conversations with just a beverage! You are doing the right thing!
  • OMAD2017
    OMAD2017 Posts: 73 Member
    Good news, OmadRyback! And newmeadow, great insights about yourself. That's so important to success.
  • ruby_emrald
    ruby_emrald Posts: 42 Member
    I have atempted omad so at least twice before... so hopeing 3rd time is a charm really struggling to beavle to overcome my over eating addition.
  • ruby_emrald
    ruby_emrald Posts: 42 Member
    Thanks will try
  • arguablysamson
    Arugula also works great.
  • dfmcminn
    dfmcminn Posts: 4 Member
    Dont know why this site doesnt have more traffic. However like some churches, bigger isnt always better. I have been happily omading for a couple weeks and just decided to do a 16/8 today. I am ok with that too. I am trying to lose perfectionist mentality. I noticed my sleep is way way better. The past few nights have been amazing. So here is something interesting. Without food to pacify me I am starting to become much more assertive and voice my concerns and displeasure. Not in a bad way though! What I am struggling with most is overeating at my evening meal. I really want to eat keto 6 days a week, except on splurge day. Despite what the experts say, I think changing things up that one day a week or so keeps certain body and brain hormones and neurotransmitters balanced, specifically thyroid and leptin. I feel like I have lost a few pounds, as my clothes are bigger especially my pants. So progress I would like to make is: OMAD at least 8 days of 10, keto most days, eating to no longer hungry and satisfied, NOT TO FULL OR STUFFED. This last one in particular is I feel the key to my weight and fat loss journey. Love the OMAD forums. And this way of eating.
  • arguablysamson
    Just keep in mind that anything super-low carb or keto is going to mean splurge days will have you holding water much more so. Jump off and you will gain faster. Higher carb does not have that disadvantage. Keep the one-plate rule to avoid overdoing it on portions. But don't worry if you sometimes do.
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited July 2017
    I'm struggling because I don't want to count calories anymore and my fellow OMADers helped me out in how to go about it, and I am doing it. I'd like to say that it's easy and breezy now, but thoughts are lingering in my head. If I don't eat enough, I'll have to go even lower in calories to lose weight which would suck. I'd almost rather err on the side of going a tad over, at least to TDEE, because I'm more active now. I enjoy some working out and I enjoy swimming for fun and going for walks, I can't sit still like I used to... courtesy of OMAD and it's awesomeness (29 pounds down since 13 April, 2017--11 pounds down 5 March until then)! It's my thing, it's my lifestyle and I wouldn't have it any other way. Yet, after a major binge last night on horrible food, I've decided on those occasions when hunger pains strike and won't go away with water or coffee, I will give myself permission to eat a healthy snack so I don't go overboard and binge on crap. :-)

Anyway, I guess I'm having trouble learning how to trust my body on how much I need to eat a day. I believe I binged last night because I didn't eat enough for my meal since I do not stress eat or eat emotionally anymore. I just started not counting this week, so maybe I just need some more time and all will be well later. I might gain, and that's okay. Do you think giving myself 3-4 weeks is good timeframe to see if I can do this without counting calories? If I don't lose or I gain, then start counting calories again, maybe?

• wsandy8512
    @newmeadow, thank you for your thoughts on the subject, I appreciate it. I have a lot more thinking to do! lol
  • wsandy8512
    @Ltcartwright76, fantastic all around great news! Happy for you :-)