! - The OMAD Adaption Pains Thread - !

Replies

• barbheart
    barbheart Posts: 433 Member
    Yes Sandy I am learning too that my food choices need to carry me through 23.5 hours so I need to wise up with my choices...this is GREAT because it puts is in big learning mode and LISTENING MODE so we can tune in better to what we need.This whole week of mine has been about this precisely... when I reach my meal time I am not hungry but I need to support myself for those next hours ahead so my food choices are crucial. This week I followed one of Joe´s tips adding chia seeds to my salads, it made a difference a day when I ate less carbs than I thought I would.
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,874 Member
    I am having a hell of a time adapting to OMAD during PMS and my monthly cycle. If anyone has any tips, I would absolutely appreciate it.
  • ooliviuoo
    ooliviuoo Posts: 81 Member
    I have a stupid question about beans. What is the magic trick to avoid GASES ?
    I read on the internet about Black charcoal, it is recommended ? Any other (better) idea ?
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,874 Member
    edited July 2017
    ooliviuoo wrote: »
    I have a stupid question about beans. What is the magic trick to avoid GASES ?
    I read on the internet about Black charcoal, it is recommended ? Any other (better) idea ?

Soaking and draining the soaking liquid off of my beans beforehand always works well for me. Hope that helps!
  • gomissfitnes
    gomissfitnes Posts: 268 Member
    Day four on OMAD and I have already experienced some weight loss, feelings of relief to see something working, and feeling free of constantly eating little bits to satisfy a nagging hunger. It suits me. I have to stagger my meal though. I just can't eat that much at one time. Today I was so full with about 500 calories. I know that's not enough. I ate another mini meal about an hour later and then back into fasting mode. Also, I don't enjoy eating in the evening. I could use some friends who wouldn't mind talking with me about this occasionally.
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Day four on OMAD and I have already experienced some weight loss, feelings of relief to see something working, and feeling free of constantly eating little bits to satisfy a nagging hunger. It suits me. I have to stagger my meal though. I just can't eat that much at one time. Today I was so full with about 500 calories. I know that's not enough. I ate another mini meal about an hour later and then back into fasting mode. Also, I don't enjoy eating in the evening. I could use some friends who wouldn't mind talking with me about this occasionally.

Don't feel like you HAVE to eat your evening meal as your OMAD - Joe talks about how he's tried all 3 versions (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) to find out which worked best for him. I ONLY like my OMAD in the evening after work when I can cook at leisure and enjoy it after the stress of the day, but THAT'S JUST ME :) Experiment and find out what works best for you :)
  • ooliviuoo
    Second day of OMAD - I just need to adapt myself. I will count 14 days when I will return from vacation

I planned to eat these:

CDsDHbV.jpg

and some berries

UFKfkel.jpg

and I eat all berries (one cup) and more than half of my plate

bVLjlBI.jpg

I was full.

Any ideas , It was ok, I should eat all plate, etc ?

thank you

//newbie question, don't laugh, please
  • ooliviuoo
    Thank you for your kind answer
  • riju5519
    riju5519 Posts: 3 Member
    i found that eating is mostly because of Habit, 2 weeks in, now i can slowly differentiate that it is either boredom or some kind of stress that triggers the "Need to eat" thing in your brain. i would suggest that some whole cloves spice at hand. when u feel like...that brain is yelling...and pushing u to eat, take one clove and put it in your mouth and dont chew or swallow, just take it from one side to other with your tongue...u will see that hunger feeling subside. Cloves are Nutrient dense, plus very good for you + it smells nice too. Try it and let us know
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    riju5519 wrote: »
    i found that eating is mostly because of Habit, 2 weeks in, now i can slowly differentiate that it is either boredom or some kind of stress that triggers the "Need to eat" thing in your brain. i would suggest that some whole cloves spice at hand. when u feel like...that brain is yelling...and pushing u to eat, take one clove and put it in your mouth and dont chew or swallow, just take it from one side to other with your tongue...u will see that hunger feeling subside. Cloves are Nutrient dense, plus very good for you + it smells nice too. Try it and let us know
    Completely agree, it is mostly habits ingrained in us over many years that triggers us to want to eat, much more than any kind of real hunger. Once we break those habits we can embrace the idea that we don't need to eat as often, and take control over our dietary intake.
  • letzlive
    letzlive Posts: 9 Member
    Today is day 4 for me. I've been so amazed by my own ability to get to 4 PM because at about 12-2 it feels like I will not make it. Yesterday I remembered the trick about putting a wee bit of salt on the tongue and then having a glass of water, and it did indeed help with the light-headedness.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    letzlive wrote: »
    Today is day 4 for me. I've been so amazed by my own ability to get to 4 PM because at about 12-2 it feels like I will not make it. Yesterday I remembered the trick about putting a wee bit of salt on the tongue and then having a glass of water, and it did indeed help with the light-headedness.

Good effort! Keep it up.
  • letzlive
    Checking in, about 4 weeks in....

I have good days and bad days. I am noticing a pattern on "bad" days: often a thought enters my head around 12 to 2 PM that says: "Wow. It's going to be HOURS before dinner. And this project isn't going too well. Why don't you take a break and go eat early? Can you really work on this project for X hours longer without food?" ...that sort of thing. This sabotaging thought can even strike during mid-morning, when I normally don't have any trouble fasting at all.

Today I realized that the part of my brain making this demon-voice has no intention of returning to the project after I eat. In other words, it's about the work! Not the food! On days when my work is going well, I make it through the afternoon just fine.

Anyone else struggle with a powerful work-avoidance incentive for eating? Because I work from home and am self-managed, this is a new twist in my schedule.
  • letzlive
    Arugula also works great.

Really?? What quantity of "leaves" is the limit for not "waking up" the pancreas? I adore greens, even without any dressing, but have not used them during my fast. Is there a metabolic disadvantage if you chew them as opposed to drinking parsley or arugula in a smoothie? (IE maybe amylase jumps into the game?) Please advise. Thanks! (PS I am one of those very carb-sensitive people, in case it matters.)
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member

Really?? What quantity of "leaves" is the limit for not "waking up" the pancreas? I adore greens, even without any dressing, but have not used them during my fast. Is there a metabolic disadvantage if you chew them as opposed to drinking parsley or arugula in a smoothie? (IE maybe amylase jumps into the game?) Please advise. Thanks! (PS I am one of those very carb-sensitive people, in case it matters.)

Not sure. The general rule is 20 calories or less, I'd say. Chewing gum would make fasting MORE difficult for sure.
  • letzlive

Not sure. The general rule is 20 calories or less, I'd say. Chewing gum would make fasting MORE difficult for sure.

Yeah, I think I'll avoid chewing anything at this point. Why add complications to the challenge?
  • lbride
    lbride Posts: 248 Member
    I find it easier to just eat between lunch and 2 pm or so, and then deal with hunger in the evening Too hard to work on an empty stomach
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member

I have good days and bad days. I am noticing a pattern on "bad" days: often a thought enters my head around 12 to 2 PM that says: "Wow. It's going to be HOURS before dinner. And this project isn't going too well. Why don't you take a break and go eat early? Can you really work on this project for X hours longer without food?" ...that sort of thing. This sabotaging thought can even strike during mid-morning, when I normally don't have any trouble fasting at all.

Today I realized that the part of my brain making this demon-voice has no intention of returning to the project after I eat. In other words, it's about the work! Not the food! On days when my work is going well, I make it through the afternoon just fine.

Anyone else struggle with a powerful work-avoidance incentive for eating? Because I work from home and am self-managed, this is a new twist in my schedule.

For me hot tea or some buillon-based broth usually does the trick :)
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    edited November 2017

This is me! I work from home too and, especially when I’m working on something that is either boring me (estimates, any type of admin task, etc.) or something that is frustrating or difficult I almost always think of eating something. It is totally about the work and not the food. I realized this a few months into OMAD and now mostly just ignore it. Though, if the work-avoidance noise is strong enough I sometimes go for a walk, go get a manicure or just sit on the couch and read! At least my work-avoidance tendencies aren’t making me fat anymore... Now they’re just making me work later into the evening because of the procrastination (not that I didn’t end up doing that when I was using food, so no real change other than the fat thing...). (I’m basically self-managed, but I have lots of deadlines...)