Misconception of LCHF: Post for Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your well-earned reward of not being hungry!
  • bluets2011
    bluets2011 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    @genmon00 awnnnn thought it would last. Yes I'm on my first month yet so this not being starving all the time is a great feeling. But it's good too when this phase fades away being able to feel hungry again. :-)
  • bluets2011
    Options
    @AlexandraCarlyle thanks! I'm always below my carbs (10%) but as not feeling hungry at all it's hard to reach fat 65%) and protein (25%). But as others mentioned here this phase won't last so no damage in eating 900 calories some days when I can't physically eat more.
  • bluets2011
    Options
    @RalfLott might have been unsolicited but I'm really grateful for your tips. I'm just one month in my journey so reading a lot to learn. I'm not sure in grams what are my macros. Carbs I know max 30g a day. I'll check the ketogains.com site. Thank you :-)
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    I see so many articles promoting LCHF as a diet where you don't have to count calories - for weight loss - this is WRONG!

No it's not.

Counting calories and eating at a deficit are two completely different, independent things.

A caloric deficit is required. Calorie counting is not, necessarily.

Great point, and good to keep in mind.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    RalfLott wrote: »
    bluets2011 wrote: »
    @AlexandraCarlyle thanks! I'm always below my carbs (10%) but as not feeling hungry at all it's hard to reach fat 65%) and protein (25%). But as others mentioned here this phase won't last so no damage in eating 900 calories some days when I can't physically eat more.

Please forgive the unsolicited tip.... I would urge you to use grams, not %, for your goals, as the different macro nutrient classes simply don't need to be in any particular proportion to one another. . For example, you don't need to reach a given fat % in your diet, especially if your, er, onboard pantry is well-stocked.

IMO, the advice to focus on grams is good because of protein too. I aim to get 100 g of protein, and that remains constant however many calories I am eating (it's based on my LBM), because if I did happen to have a very low cal day I'd not want to be eating my usual percentage of protein, as that would be very low too. I similarly think of it as carbs below a specific number (although my number is a bit higher -- cap of 60 g total, 40 g net), protein to 100 g (or more, I don't care because I am not in medical keto and at a deficit I think it's unlikely protein kicks you out of it anyway), and then the rest fat, with the idea that on a low cal day I supply more from body fat.

That's it, precisely!
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I see so many articles promoting LCHF as a diet where you don't have to count calories - for weight loss - this is WRONG!

No it's not.

Counting calories and eating at a deficit are two completely different, independent things.

Ummm how do you know if your in a calorie deficit if you don't count???????
  • RalfLott
    edited June 2017
    Options

No it's not.

Even if you do try to count those slippery calories, it's no cinch.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10412095/gastropod-the-end-of-the-calorie

But I'm with you - fuzzy though it may be, it's another metric that informs your progress. I don't really understand not even attempting to track them, since it's pretty simple if you're already tracking your food.

(I confess that I'm probably more compulsive than most trying to keep my *kitten* T2D in check.)
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Ok...I have read enough of these posts & articles to chime in. A LCHF or Keto diet for those looking to loss weight (many do this WOE for other reasons - I am talking to those who are trying to lose weight) the goal of this WOE is to eat less, not find a way to eat more! Period.

Whether you are LCHF, Keto, Paleo, Low Fat, Mediterranean, Grapefruit Diet...etc. the math still applies, less calories in, more weight off. I chose LCHF because I did not want to eat rice cakes and be miserable on my calorie deficit WOE. Bacon, Eggs, Meat, full fat dressings, butter etc.. that is something I could live with and lose weight!

It's finding a diet that you can stick to long term that counts. So, the goal is to find the combination of LCHF foods that keeps you full enough, long enough, that over the course of a day, week, month - your total calories in is less than burned and you lose weight.

I was like so many at the start, obsessed with how much food I could eat, what recipes could I find to make and make a lot of, added extra fat to everything (hey the more is better right - nope).

Bottom line: LCHF is a WOE that you can turn your body from a Sugar/Carb Burner to a Fat Burner. Fat burning of your own fat will come from energy needed but there is not enough consumed fat to burn so the body taps the reserves. But if you don't watch your calories and add extra fat for the sake of the diet, you just consumed more fat calories for your body to burn first - before it gets to the reserved fat we all carry and try to get rid of.

The best of part of a well managed LCHF and/or Keto diet is that done right (this is different for everyone - this means finding the combination of food that fits your macros) you will feel full for a long period of time and not have the desire to eat as much (or at all). Thus reducing your overall calories!

@JohnnyLowCarb hang in there. LCHF in my case quickly addressed my physical/emotional need to count anything. Give LCHF timr to fix your underlying need to count anything. Keep in mind only you will know when you are no longer broken. One day you will realize your brain and hormones have healed and normal intuitive eating is freeing up your time for matters really requiring your conscious brain.
    Well said @galehawkins.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

No it's not.

One way is that if you've been maintaining and have a reasonably set way of eating you can cut calories. This is more difficult when starting something new, as you may change the way of eating so much that it's hard to see OR not have a regular way of eating at all. A lot of people DO just naturally cut calories when they cut carbs, however.

I am counting because I want to know my TDEE and and a numbers geek and love playing around with them (it's motivation for me) and because I can easily overeat fat (or things like nuts), so it's helpful for me, but you can get a calorie deficit without doing it.
  • RalfLott
    edited June 2017
    Options

No it's not.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10412095/gastropod-the-end-of-the-calorie

But I'm with you - fuzzy though it may be, it's another metric that informs your progress. I don't really understand not even attempting to track them, since it's pretty simple if you're already tracking your food.

(I confess that I'm probably more compulsive than most trying to keep my *kitten* T2D in check.)

Tracking calories with the intent of creating a caloric deficit puts me into a panic attack and *kitten* with my mental well-being. I lose weight--without calorie counting--though food type selection. I know what foods help or hinder my progress and choose the ones that help it.

I am so sorry for my flip comment.

Personally, I start to wig if I have to eat too many meals away from home and can't keep close enough track of what I eat, especially when my BG starts to climb (or I think it might be.....). My apologies.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options

No it's not.

Are you losing weight and/or inches over the course of a month or so? Then you're in a caloric deficit.

Exactly! For those trying to lose weight you should track your calorie intake. You don't want to waste a month to blindly find out if you were in a calorie deficit or your "eyeball" way of measuring was on. Really for those who are new to the forum and those who are in weight loss mode you should track everything. This will keep you on track to reach your goals....
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options

No it's not.

Are you losing weight and/or inches over the course of a month or so? Then you're in a caloric deficit.

Exactly! For those trying to lose weight you should track your calorie intake. You don't want to waste a month to blindly find out if you were in a calorie deficit or your "eyeball" way of measuring was on. Really for those who are new to the forum and those who are in weight loss mode you should track everything. This will keep you on track to reach your goals....

The crux is that people are all different. Some people can get away with not logging. They are THAT in tune with their bodies and hunger cues or have become very skilled at eyeballing or food selection. Personally, my cues are still pretty muddled and delayed, my eyeballing gets distorted over time, and my food demon is an insidious, rebellious, little turd, so I NEED to count calories. I need my finger on that pulse at all times. I need that enforced limit.

The point is, regardless of which methods are used, that calorie deficit is achieved. The details of that pursuit are personalized brain/chemistry hacking.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options

No it's not.

Tracking calories with the intent of creating a caloric deficit puts me into a panic attack and *kitten* with my mental well-being. I lose weight--without calorie counting--though food type selection. I know what foods help or hinder my progress and choose the ones that help it.

This is me, too. I can track every once in awhile but every day I start getting anxiety. Its just easier for me all the way around to limit the food types.