Soy Sauce

Options
LolaDeeDaisy23
LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
I've been on a soy sauce kick lately. Using miracle noodles and soy sauce for yummy stir frys. But of course, if it's too good to be true, it probably is. Turns out the soy sauce has been bloating me! I didn't know why.. thought it was the diet soda, or broccoli, but I eat broccoli almost every day for the past month so I doubted the broccoli was causing this sudden water retention.
Yesterday, I didn't eat any soy sauce. This morning, down 1 pound.
I will report any more findings.

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I like Bragg's Aminos because I have to be totally gluten free.
  • LizinLowell
    LizinLowell Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I second coconut aminos, love it!
  • My4happykids
    My4happykids Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Braggs makes both coconut and soy aminos. I really like the braggs liquid aminos (soy) tastes like soy sauce. most soy sauces have wheat in them that could be what you are reacting to. Braggs is available at quite a few places but here is there site. http://bragg.com/products/bragg-liquid-aminos-soy-alternative.html
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    When a recipe calls for soy sauce, I use Tamari or Coconut Aminos or a 50/50 combination of both depending on how strong (or not) I want the soy sauce flavor to be. lol Here's a link to my favorite kind of Tamari:

https://www.amazon.com/OHSAWA-TAMARI-32-GLUTEN-FREE-MACROBIOTIC/dp/B0019LFC2K
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    Options
    Hmm interesting. Is it the gluten in the soy sauce or the high sodium that I'm reacting to? Maybe both? I need to find the braggs liquid aminos. I tried looking today but I just found their apple cider vinegar (which I already have)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @LolaDeeDaisy23 - Try Coconut Aminos if you can. Soy disrupts most sex hormones. It also is fermented with wheat, traditionally. I will do Tamari sometimes, but I've heard good things about coconut aminos...

The jury is out on what, exactly, soy does to estrogen receptors, but if that's a concern for you, OP, then you should read labels. (both of my OBGYNs told me to UP the soy as menopause hit). I'm married to an asian, so we get a lot of soy.

Soy does bloat, for sure. In fact, we went out last night to hubs favorite chinese restaurant and I ordered something different. The minute it arrived I knew the scale would be up 2Lbs today. And it was! 2.5, in fact.
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    Options
    @Sabine_Stroehm Wow!! Good to know im not the only one with that kind of reaction.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @Sabine_Stroehm - @LolaDeeDaisy23 is a fellow PCOS sufferer still in the child-bearing years...

Oh, and side note of side effect, most soy gives me effects similar to Maltitol...but fermented soy, as in soy sauces, doesn't do that to me. Gotta stay away with from the cheap American made stuff that isn't actually fermented! LOL So good or bad from the science department, my body essentially screams at me not to have soy.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @Sabine_Stroehm - @LolaDeeDaisy23 is a fellow PCOS sufferer still in the child-bearing years...

Oh, and side note of side effect, most soy gives me effects similar to Maltitol...but fermented soy, as in soy sauces, doesn't do that to me. Gotta stay away with from the cheap American made stuff that isn't actually fermented! LOL So good or bad from the science department, my body essentially screams at me not to have soy.

Ahh thanks for that, I didn't know about her PCOS. That makes all the difference. Now in menopause, however, I hear women say they stay away from soy. My own docs, however (also menopausal) seek it out!

I find I have the best experience with tamari, rather than regular soy sauce.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I also wonder if there is a difference between GMO soy (most US products) and organic soy as endocrine disrupters.
    "The top three GMO crops grown in the U.S. are soy, corn and cotton, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). During the past 12 years, the percentage of acreage planted with GMO crops soared to over 80 percent for each of the top three.
    Soy: 93 percent of soy is genetically modified. Soy is a staple of processed foods under various names including hydrogenated oils, lecithin, emulsifiers, tocopherol (a vitamin E supplement) and proteins." huffingtonpost.com/margie-kelly/genetically-modified-food_b_2039455.html
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I always go with real organic fermented soy sauce (tamari)...not only is wheat an issue for me, but so is sodium benzoate which is used as a preservative in so many sauces...<sigh>
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    I always go with real organic fermented soy sauce (tamari)...not only is wheat an issue for me, but so is sodium benzoate which is used as a preservative in so many sauces...<sigh>

Interesting! How did you ID sodium benzoate?
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    I get migraines within a few hours of eating anything that doesn't agree with me. It doesn't take much in the way of food logging to identify problem ingredients, plus since they last 3 days on average it's a great incentive never to eat that stuff again. I find it super annoying when companies change their formulas and add things that didn't used to be in the food, then suddenly a brand I could eat before becomes something that makes me super ill. It's not fun and if they don't make an obvious change to the label then I don't even notice until after I've had a reaction and start comparing old labels to new ones.

MSG also triggers migraines for me, and companies keep changing what they call it on the label to hide what it really is - so super not fun. It makes me wary of trying new brands of anything and eating out is always a gamble.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    MSG likes to masquerade as "natural flavors" on most labels...though I am sure you probably knew that... One of my favorite resources is : http://www.msgtruth.org/
    https://khemaney.wordpress.com/2008/10/02/msgs-effects-on-children/
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    Food manufacturers are totally in love with MSG and put it in just about everything - whiskey tango foxtrot. At least more and more restaurants are starting to go MSG-free and getting into the vegetarian and gluten-free crazes. Makes things a little easier for me when stuff is reliably labeled even if there are only 3 things I can eat on the menu.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    The reason they're so in love with it is that it makes the food more and more addictive and people will eat more and buy more... They don't give a hootenanny about any of us...just the big ol' buck...

I about died laughing when I saw that KFC is one of the biggest offenders of overuse of MSG...they sure are finger-lickin' good, eh?

I seem to have issues with histamines and MSG, more so the former than the latter. I do not know what the heck Walden Farms uses, but it is instant levels of pain that make me wish for death... I boycott them and any unknown sugar free products out of protective instinct.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I try really hard to stay clear of MSG products, not everything here is labelled yet, and sugar free products.... some have some fab laxative effects!!!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    I try really hard to stay clear of MSG products, not everything here is labelled yet, and sugar free products.... some have some fab laxative effects!!

An object lesson on how to make lemonade out of lemons (or maybe lemon sorbitol sorbet....).
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Sugar free:
    "The cramping started about an hour later, and soon enough I was as bloated as a balloon in Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. When the rumbling started I sprinted down the hallway and made it to the bathroom just in time for the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse to stampede from my backside, laying waste to my home's septic system AND my will to live. After three hours of a pelvis-shaking Gummy Bear assault, I was spongy and weak, surprised that I had any bones left. YUP, whatever they put into these sugar free products.... it can have some nasty side effects. I reccommend trying new products in close proximity to the bathroom, one that has a stall.... or a proper door.... B)

For soya sauce I usually stick with:
    Pearl River Bridge Soy Sauce
    Clearspring organic Japanese Tamari Soya Sauce
    Both gluten free