What's on your mind today?

RangerRickL
RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
edited June 2017 in Social Groups
This is where we let everyone know how we are all doing with this month's challenge, or you can just share what's on your mind. Recipes, ideas, workouts, anything that you think might be helpful to others.

Maybe, you've tried something that has worked for you in the past and would like to share it with the group. Maybe, you have a NSV (Non Scale Victory) that you would like to share with the group. Anything that you feel comfortable sharing or anything that you feel comfortable asking the group with help....this is the place to come.

The GOOD!! What NSV did you have this week!!
The BAD!! So what....you ate the whole thing!!
The UGLY!! That darn scale went through the window this week....it deserved it too!!

What's on your mind today??

Replies

• am_change
    am_change Posts: 1,010 Member
    Thanks @craigo3154 my bread addiction is real. I've gone cold turkey in the past and after a week I don't miss it. When I've reintroduced it I've quickly returned to having too much rather than enjoying it in moderation. When I've tried to limit it to a slice or small roll a day I have ended up having more so completely omitting it works better for me. I'm going to cut it for the month and then decide where to go from there.
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    am_change wrote: »
    Thanks @craigo3154 my bread addiction is real. I've gone cold turkey in the past and after a week I don't miss it. When I've reintroduced it I've quickly returned to having too much rather than enjoying it in moderation. When I've tried to limit it to a slice or small roll a day I have ended up having more so completely omitting it works better for me. I'm going to cut it for the month and then decide where to go from there.

@am_change. Keep us informed of how it goes.

The "little at a time" grazing approach to eating has the same flaw (more opportunity to blow out). Sometimes cold turkey is the best way.

Bread probably also has a "comfort" factor for you. Be kind to yourself in other ways while omitting the bread.

Best of luck. You have my support.
  • aeshippers
    aeshippers Posts: 416 Member
    I know that it actually took over a year for me to completely give up dairy when I found out I was intolerant even though it made me ill each time I'd still give in to temptation occasionally. Now over 10 years later it doesn't bother me at all and I find even the smell of cheese (which I used to love) nauseating.
  • Slimpossible007
    Slimpossible007 Posts: 16,357 Member
    Just had this tonight, thought it would be worth sharing.
    (we are working on lowering the calories for the dressing in order to get the whole meal under 400 cals)

CHICKEN AND BACON SALAD with croutons
    TOTAL 442 calories and 47 g protein

lkqso32tgdll.jpg

Spring Onions, 20 g - 6 cals
    Bacon, 15g - 43 cals
    Chicken Breast, 200 g - 228 cals
    5 cherry tomatoes - 15 cals
    Basil Leaf, 5 g - 1 cal
    Baby Leaf Salad has rocket and spinach) , 45 g - 6 cals
    Peppers Red, 25 g - 8 cals

Mayonnaise Hellmans , 10 g - 69 cals
    Creme Fraiche, 10 ml - 18 cals
    Garlic , 2 g - 3 cals
    Chives, dried 1 g - 0 cals

Bacon Croutons -9 croutons 45 cals
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Eating out got me today. Dammit. I went over a couple calories (took a skip day) and learned a lot when it comes to what restaurants to go to. Privately owned places aren't so great. It's difficult trying to guess the calories and ya don't realllllly know everything in the dish (could be hidden high calorie items). So I think I will politely decline invitations if it's somewhere I cannot get nutritional information. I'm disappointed but will take this as one of those lessons you learn a little too late. (And i don't even go out often!!)
    Other than that I feel really good !
  • RangerRickL
    @craigo3154 I so appreciate that you share your vast knowledge in such a caring and generous manner!
    Thank you, Rick
  • MyersCrystal
    MyersCrystal Posts: 52 Member
    @craigo3154 I totally agree with RangerRickL. What a helpful post...for us all. Great points to be reminded of. Thank you for this.
  • craigo3154
    Re: food allergies
    In the past, I have benefited from working with a wellness doctor who had been a medical researcher. He told me that many of the foods we crave are the foods which trigger our allergies. That is an unpleasant relationship...
    @RangerRickL. I can confirm that. Allergen foods can trigger cravings for the very thing we have allergic reactions too.

An allergic is effectively an over-reaction of the bodies immune system to what it perceives as a toxin. (like gluten seen as a toxin and attacked by while blood cells in the gut partially shutting down the digestive process, while it also feeds other gut bacteria creating un-wanted by-products).

A great example of this is spicy food (based from the peppers family). The peppers naturally developed an irritant so that ruminants would not grind the seeds up with their teeth. The irritant affect the mucus membranes and gives a burning sensation. Birds however do not grind the seeds, so the irritant does not affect them. The seeds pass through and are scattered through the birds droppings.

Most ruminants keep away from peppers, except humans. The allergic reaction (to an extent) we seek out. We even get to like it (as certain pain and pleasure senses get cross wired through associated experiences in our brains). We learn from an early age that if we can resist discomfort, the rewards can be greater (ie. delayed gratification). The better we are at it, the greater the rewards.

As long as the subject is not TOO allergic to the food, the discomfort can be associated with either the desire for discomfort (yes - there is such a thing), the desire for the endorphin rush of relief as the discomfort subsides or the desire for social acceptance/adoration over discomfort (eg. chilli eating contests).

Only once the brain is retrained that the particular discomfort is bad (ie. "looks like poison to me") and not worth the trouble, then the cravings go. This re-training needs to filter down to the sub-conscious level so it takes a LONG time (and continual re-enforcement).
  • conchita962
    Awesome posts guys!! @RangerRickL and @craigo3154 I have a similar reaction to gluten. I had an endoscopy and the Dr said he saw redness but blood work was negative. However, at that point I had cut out most gluten and was not aware that you had to have been eating gluten to get an accurate test. >eye roll< So I stay away from it for the most part. My cravings are sugars and sweets. I do not partake in that stuff often as it upsets my tummy and well...the waist line grows but I still engage now and again. I reallllllllly want to develop that mindset of "it's poison" because at any moment I could completely cave. I am practicing resisting and reminding myself that I will physically feel ill if I eat this wonderful Amish made zucchini bread or that delicious apple pie...So far I'm doing alright but again I'm teetering on the edge.
  • craigo3154
    ...My cravings are sugars and sweets. I do not partake in that stuff often as it upsets my tummy and well...the waist line grows but I still engage now and again. I reallllllllly want to develop that mindset of "it's poison" because at any moment I could completely cave. I am practicing resisting and reminding myself that I will physically feel ill if I eat this wonderful Amish made zucchini bread or that delicious apple pie...So far I'm doing alright but again I'm teetering on the edge.
    @conchita962. You are already on the right track.

Add a periodic reward (like something sweet, non-gluten based) for remaining on the right track and you will be there in no time. If you slip up, take extra notice how bad you feel physically (and why you feel bad).

The periodic rewards re-enforce the reminders that keeping away from the bad stuff is the right thing to do. Our brains work better with a combination of BOTH "positive reenforcement" and "negative punishment" than just "negative punishment" alone.

Think of how your train a dog to do a trick. Initially every time they succeed you reward them. Every time they do something wrong you gently scold them (proportionate to the discretion). As the successes get more common, the rewards becomes less frequent or less intense (eg. pat instead of food or multiple successes for a single reward). Scoldings for discretions remain proportionate (and must be immediate and not withholding of future rewards - ie. harsh tone, firm tap instead of pat).

People have a greater tolerance for delayed gratification. We can wait longer for the reward, but not too long.

The "negative punishments" should not be disproportionately severe, but should be immediate and linked to the discretion.

Best of luck.
  • conchita962
    @craigo3154 Fantastic ! Words I need to hear. I think rewards do work much better than strict removal of everything forever. Once in awhile is good enough for me. I'm done with punishing myself and defining everything around food and 'good' and 'bad'. Thank you!!
  • RangerRickL
    @conchita962 I have to chuckle at @craigo3154 suggestions from dog training. I do the same type of analogies, but I reference his fellow countryman and famous horse trainer, Clinton Anderson. Craig, Clinton is a super successful teacher of people regarding working with their horses. He is a disciple of Ian Francis , deceased. A renowned Aussie master of the quarter horse world. He always said,"Make the wrong thing difficult and the right thing easy." Your advice to Conchita is right along that line. She is about to fall in the abyss of cheating and then keep on falling. Your suggestion is for her to choose an intentional less damaging, but satisfying reward...e.g. "How about some ice cream?" The first bite tastes so delightful that she will feel satisfied and she can start to satisfy the subconscious self-sabotage machine with an alternative healthier portion and treat.
    Very cool!
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    I came here to write about how I am thinking of chocolate today (and did so yesterday as well). Then I read what @craigo3154 wrote and although I am still thinking of chocolate, I aim to sit myself down today with a cup of tea and work out a plan to deal with the craving (and constant indulgence). Thanks!
  • am_change
    am_change Posts: 1,010 Member
    I love how people make analogies linked to their lives. @craigo3154 are you a dog person? My own would be to compare it to a baby's sleep routine. ;) a baby might be fundamentally a terrible sleeper (carb/gluten/bread addict) :s sticking as best as you can to the same night routine leads to better sleep. (Consistent cut it out = feel healthier) the sleep routine may occasionally be derailed due to teething, illness, holiday (same kind of things!) but you want to get back to the routine (diet) as soon as possible for the greater good! :)
  • craigo3154
    am_change wrote: »
    I love how people make analogies linked to their lives. @craigo3154 are you a dog person? My own would be to compare it to a baby's sleep routine. ;) a baby might be fundamentally a terrible sleeper (carb/gluten/bread addict) :s sticking as best as you can to the same night routine leads to better sleep. (Consistent cut it out = feel healthier) the sleep routine may occasionally be derailed due to teething, illness, holiday (same kind of things!) but you want to get back to the routine (diet) as soon as possible for the greater good! :)

@am_change. I am actually a cat person (only ever once had a family dog and that was over 30 years ago - much prefer cats). Training cats is A LOT harder (as dogs have a pack instinct that can be used to great effect) and not many people are familiar with cat training.

I try choose analogies that are appropriate to the listeners situation. I like your baby's sleep routine analogy. (I have stories about that too - like how in a single night I taught my wife to allow our daughter to learn to get herself to sleep at 3 months - wife wife still tells that story :) ).