Arizona's Fasting Journey

Options

Replies

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    I think your welcome here! OMAD is intermittent fasting. Just a more specific form of it. Don't worry a lot about 1-bad day. I do think you would benefit a lot more though by trying to do extended fasting more often. I have a very hard time losing when doing a 16:8. I maintain well doing that (if my lunch is low carb) but I can't lose much unless I do some OMAD days. Good luck!
  • x3nomorph
    x3nomorph Posts: 174 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    tbh it doesn't look good for you, sound like you are in a tail spin, you need to find a way that whatever you are doing is sustainable, sustainable means that you are not going to bed hungry, that you are not "binging", it means that you can go through out your day and are not hungry/thinking about food

at 5'3 200 lbs you are probably around 100 lbs overweight, if you really think that you can keep eating the same foods that got you there and that intermittent fasting is going to magically make you lose the weight, I got bad news for you

you have to eat satiating foods, satiation is the name of the game for a diet to be sustainable, just my 2 cents
  • blambo61
    edited July 2017
    Options
    x3nomorph wrote: »
    tbh it doesn't look good for you, sound like you are in a tail spin, you need to find a way that whatever you are doing is sustainable, sustainable means that you are not going to bed hungry, that you are not "binging", it means that you can go through out your day and are not hungry/thinking about food

at 5'3 200 lbs you are probably around 100 lbs overweight, if you really think that you can keep eating the same foods that got you there and that intermittent fasting is going to magically make you lose the weight, I got bad news for you

you have to eat satiating foods, satiation is the name of the game for a diet to be sustainable, just my 2 cents

I always ate pretty much whatever I wanted including deserts but I made sure I took some supplements, got adequate protein, and ate out of the standard food groups and I lost weight. I think quantity is most peoples problem which can be effected by food type like you stated. If I ate adequate protein, I could more easily fast the next day. Primary is doing the fast (to control quantity). Secondary is what you eat so it is easier to fast IMO (and to stay healthy).
  • x3nomorph
    x3nomorph Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    @blambo61 she is not doing OMAD most of the time, 16/8 is a MUCH larger window, so she will be able to get away with a lot less(concerning food choices) to make consistent progress
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Arizona, you're fine here and you're right about this group, so much support. In fact, I've grown to really adore most of the people here and the thought of not being a part of it kills me. Lol, I know that statement is a bit dramatic, but just wanted to express how much I love it.

A lot of people have tailored their OMAD in a way that works for them and some have even implemented extended fasting from 48-72 hours, one did several weeks of water fasting, others have their large meal and graze during the rest of their window, etc. All of them received and still receive support.

I've recently been doing IF, 16:8, due to several things over the past couple of weeks entering into play that got me off-track. I'm struggling to get back to it at this time, not because I find OMAD hard, but because I've been so active due to the health benefits of having done straight OMAD for two months and losing a bunch of weight. My energy levels are so high that I crave activity and exercise and I've upped my calories so much that I cannot squeeze them into one meal. lol

Whether doing IF 16:8 or 23:1, what has helped beat down hunger pangs is ensuring plenty of healthy fats and protein into meals, and from whole food sources. I'd say I eat 80% healthy and 20% not so great choices, meaning highly processed, fast food or junk food. Also, getting enough calories helps tremendously!

Binge days are acceptable, btw, so don't beat yourself up, as long as they aren't regular. Today is a new day, a day to start from scratch. You can do it. :)

**Glad you've found a way to get your bowels moving. :)
  • gomissfitnes
    gomissfitnes Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I personally enjoy reading about all of the different approaches to weight loss that people try and am interested in how you figure out what works for you. I definitely think you should keep journaling and continue to receive the support you need from everyone here. This is a great group!
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    You can hang out here all you want...I don't know what plan is best for you but I do know that you can lose the weight...Try what Joe and Bob said by adding in more OMAD days or maybe try shortening your eating window each day until you get down to a 1 hour eating window...I hope you find something that works for you :)
  • blambo61
    edited July 2017
    Options
    x3nomorph wrote: »
    @blambo61 she is not doing OMAD most of the time, 16/8 is a MUCH larger window, so she will be able to get away with a lot less(concerning food choices) to make consistent progress

I'm aware of what she is doing as I stated that I thought it would be good to do more OMAD days. We all struggle or we wouldn't be where we are or were. Just being here and asking questions and talking about it shows me concern and is a positive thing. We all need encouragement.
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    We all struggle and take different approaches, so sharing and supporting does help.
    What I recommend to people who express an interest in trying to replicate what I have done is to take baby steps. Don't try to bit off the whole enchilada at one time. (no pun intended)
    First step work on progressively narrowing their eating window while at the same time making improvements in the quality of their diets. So don't push to go to the next level until where you are at is easy for you. These changes should be viewed as permanent lifestyle changes, not quick fixes.
  • blambo61
    Options
    Slowing down bad habbits and then finally reversing them will get us there. I totally concur with your advise Jim.
  • ArizonaToast
    ArizonaToast Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday to me!

Today is my birthday and I am now 36. My family and I are going out to dinner at Olive Garden. This is also going to be my OMAD for today. :-) The other days this week have also gone well with doing 16:8.

• ArizonaToast
    Options
    Oh! And I visited my school today to start setting up my classroom (I teach 1st grade and teachers officially go back August 3rd, but I always need extra time to prepare and get work done) and another teacher saw me and asked...."Have you lost weight??"

Yay!
  • blambo61
    Options
    Nice! Happy B-day whipper-snapper!
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday!! Always the best when somebody notices your weight loss...
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday and congratulations on someone else noticing your loss!
  • tlblanksfit
    tlblanksfit Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday and congrats on the NSV!
  • gomissfitnes
    gomissfitnes Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Hey! I teach first grade too! Congratulations losing weight! I want to make this the year I don't pick it back on.
  • ArizonaToast
    Options
    Hey! I teach first grade too! Congratulations losing weight! I want to make this the year I don't pick it back on.

Awesome! First is the best grade in my opinion. I'm going into my 9th year and I've taught grades 1-5. My plan for not putting weight on this year is to work through lunch during the week to support my OMAD diet. Maybe wait until after school to break my fast.

• ArizonaToast
    Options
    @blambo61 @minigrrll @wsandy8512 @tlblanksfit

Thank you for the birthday wishes. :)
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

Awesome! First is the best grade in my opinion. I'm going into my 9th year and I've taught grades 1-5. My plan for not putting weight on this year is to work through lunch during the week to support my OMAD diet. Maybe wait until after school to break my fast.

Thats a good plan and Happy belated Birthday :)