Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

@quilteryoyo DH and I had a talk about if grey cat is doing ok. We upped his diuretic and the puffiness went down and he was active in the afternoon. You can noticeably see the swelling go down and you see his waistline. We will see what the vet has to say today. No we didn't keep the chair, it really was in terrible shape!

Nothing too exciting. I sat with the guy hired to do my job and he is really nice and much more qualified to sit here LOL. I felt bad, he kept asking "what else do I need to know?". He explained some things to me and this job definitely has potential, I just don't know enough to make it happen. I spent the rest of the afternoon trying to organize our file folders so he would have everything he needs to start.

Today is pretty slow as well. Grey cats appt this evening and that is about it.

Weight dropped again, but not to where I was last week. Using my running time today to take grey cat to his appt.

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,012 Member
    Options
    @CMorning99 I hope Grey cat is okay and has some more quality time to spend with you.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    @CMorning99 - I hope your grey kitty is doing ok after the appointment. It is good that the diuretic helped and he was feeling better after having it.
    Once you are replaced by the civilian taking over your job, what will you be doing?

@quilteryoyo - I often wonder why doctors (all kinds) split tests and things up making you come in multiple times. The only thing I can think of is that they want to review all the information in context and outline a rehab plan before they talk about next steps. That is what the PTs have done with me.

@Avidkeo - I was on a call the other day with some friends from NZ. They were saying that some of the restrictions are lifting (especially for vaccinated people coming into the country) and that the vaccination programs need to ramp up more. How are you seeing things - has it gotten bad in the hospitals?

@swenson19d - how are the puppies and kitties all doing? Has Beary warmed up to the pups yet? I love that Maggie is coming out of her shell with the other pup gone now.

We are officially completely out of Hilde's house. A guy came yesterday and picked up a bunch of furniture (ours and hers) for a charity for Vets and Service families. We have a few things that will be picked up tonight and whatever is left, the 'junk' guy will take tomorrow morning. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to sell. Now we can focus on getting our house unpacked and put away. I spent some time cleaning and wrapping the leaves to my dining table yesterday. There are 6 of them of varying widths/70" but the table will sit 25 if fully extended with all the leaves. We rarely use any of them but they are beautiful and I don't want to get rid of any of them. Squatting and lifting those leaves made me thankful for strength training - actually all of this moving has made me appreciate it. I can still lift and move heavy sh$t.
    I am hoping to get a run in tomorrow morning... we'll see. The winds are coming and it is supposed to be hot through the weekend, of course when I finally have time to run again 😁
    @RunsOnEspresso - do you get winds at this time of year too?
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Happy faux friday :smile:

@shanaber I am so jealous you are done and moving in LOL. I feel like I have stalled out with all the waiting. I just want to live in my house already! I didn't see any winds this for us this weekend, but we are supposed to get up into the mid 80's!!!! What the heck!

Yesterday turned into a long day. Nothing exciting at work. Did some more turnover with my replacement, definitely outclassed LOL. Starting in Dec I will be strictly Admin and programs (safety, leave, etc).

Grey cat's appt was a hot mess. We got down there right on time and with the COVID rules you can't go in. I called and sat on hold for 20 min, she finally answered the phone after multiple times asking me to hold. I told her I was here for a 4:45 appt, she told me they had marked me as a no-show. She had to go back to the ask the doctor who was technically off shift if she would still see us. I was so mad. A tech was supposed to call us and after another 10 min no one called to come get him. DH finally just grabbed him and walked in and asked if they were going to see us, it was near 5:30 by this time. They took and and I think we got pretty subpar service which is so weird for this place. The Doc who I generally really like and she scheduled this recheck, was kind of short with me (she was working late), and I kinda got the vibe of what more do you want me to do. We settled on new chest xray's and blood work. She said we can only go up 1 more time on the diuretic before it overdoses. She also thinks that the fluid levels were so high that it was putting pressure on/in his eyes and that was causing the watering and pain. DH and I had a long talk while we waited, we were there 2.5hrs and we agreed that our redline is the first time he passes out, it is time. The last diuretic dose lasted 6-7 weeks. It may be a sad Christmas again.

Waiting to hear back on if they are going to start demo'ing today.

I bought a new book, Boys in the Boat, someone said it was really good about a 1936 rowing team trying to get into the olympics.

I was supposed to run yesterday, we didn't get home till near 7:30 so that didn't happen. I have a run tomorrow so IDK if I am going to pass or do back-to-back runs.

Have a great veterans day weekend!

• swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Beary tolerates the dogs if he is outside with them. He'll mill around and hang out on the porch with them, I even moved a cat tree out there and he has a real tree in cement ( branches, no leaves), out there too. I added shelves to the outside of one wall so he has a get away. He really is fine as long as he is control of it and can get away. He romps around and lets the puppies chase him (outside). It's cute. Bear does the whole cat parkour thing off the trees. I hope he'll continue to progress. Cori just hops up on my lap with a puppy and runs the puppy off lol!. I'm so glad he can show Bear how it works.

Our dryer went out...
    Seems to be the heating element, Dh is trying to get one local... I already sent him the online order even before he "confirmed" it was as I said, the element. 😩 Between the both of is we pulled pulled out 1.5 bread loafs of lint...😵‍💫. guess the lint catch isn't doing its job. Least I got most of the bedding washed.

New MFP look... hmm I like it so far... not sure I'll find everything tho.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @shanaber No, we don't have any wind right now. I don't think this is a usual time for wind here.
  • swenson19d
    Options

Doggie advice.

Sandy is the reason there is a warning on dog treats to supervise your pet while they have a treat. She will swallow stuff whole, dried turkey/chicken dog jerky, pizzle sticks, cow hide… I about had a panic attack when I was watching her chew a pizzle and the next look it was gone, thankfully it showed up the next day in her stool. Jeez dog. You’re just destined for an intestinal blockage. Vet visit tomorrow and I’ll ask there too, but what the heck can this puppy chew on? Large bones? Even then she get pieces off and I have to be mindful to pick them up. We may have to get some dog cheeze for the kong. Oh she found a synthetic bone (nyla-bone kinda thing) up till now no one has been interested. Whew.

• shanaber
    edited November 2021
    Options

@swenson19d - I would avoid the cow hide treats, especially if she is eating them in chunks and not really chewing them. The can cause blockage or bloat and both can be really serious. Hobbes loved the Nyla-bones but they can get really brittle when they get old. There are some things for 'heavy chewers' I think also from Kong. I found a new one for Hobbes recently that he loves called EverLasting Treats. They can chew or lick at it and the 'bone' in the middle is replaceable. I haven't tried to replace it yet though so I don't know how easy it is to get the replacement in.

Not sure I like the new layout - it feels strange to me but I am sure I will get used to it.

• quilteryoyo
    Options

I'm with you about the new layout @shanaber . I'm not good with change when it come to technology.

• swenson19d
    Options

@shanaber thanks for the chew advice. I've been watching her and making sure she goes. I am saving the puzzles and cow hides for Maggie and Kevin, maybe in the crate or car. Sandy is finding alternatives to chew on. you have to watch her, she likes the couch and her bed and blankets... ugh. She has her own blankets and I ordered this... ugh where's the spoiler now?

I'll order the other thing too.

• shanaber
    Options

Most important thing is to make sure she has something she knows is ok to chew as an alternative to the couch! Lots of exercise helps too.

I can't find the spoiler either... Did they get rid of it?

Saw this in the paper this morning and had to laugh. Would put it under the spoiler if I could find it - oh well

• swenson19d
    Options

@shanaber lol! Love the baby blues. I hope getting adjusted to the home is nothing more than getting used to a hair cut; I hope you love it.

• quilteryoyo
    Options

@shanaber LOL!

• swenson19d
    Options
    Puppy pics
    gtfcspfqwvv1.jpeg
    We were playing in the woods and I was checking out the photo options on my iPhone. Thought this was kinda artistic. She is watching Kevin and Cori play, which is blurred out.
    nwcxd5hj55z0.jpeg
    they were tussling behind me, I was not favouring getting Kevin, I just couldn't turn around fast enough. They were against me as I sat on the ground.
    m649y8utonai.jpeg
    Finally a good pic of Sandy. I did adjust it so the color was true.
    wz3tgpfvgbnl.jpeg
    All four of their paws are joined. I thought that was kind of interesting. I've not seen that before. I assume it is on the retriever side.
    xlg1g92grftk.jpeg
    and Mr. Handsome show off. He has no problem posing for you.

weight
    down again! yay! I am 1.5 pounds from do something. Bean has lost weight too. She isn't out grubbin' all day since the puppies. She is 16.5 pounds which is the lowest that she has been since starting the diet. yay! Vet wants her at 15 or less, so we both are doing better some the puppies keep us busy and away from the treats.

Dryer
    Element replaced and clogs cleared.
    luqod2t7cum1.jpeg
    ... that's just embarrassing haha! Dh flushed just as much out of the wall, which runs 20 feet. It appears that the wall was likely clogged when we moved in and it just got worse. House fire averted.
    Everyone is so happy to be able to do laundry.

Food
    I put beans in the IP to make chili with stew meat...
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @swenson19d Great pictures of the pups. That is a lot of lint. Probably why the element went out. I try to clean my lint trap and the pipe going out at least once a year. It can cause a fire. Glad that is all fixed and you can do laundry again. Also, yeah for the weight loss. Extra exercise really does help.

I went to the chiropractor yesterday to get some exercise to strengthen my core and back muscles. I hope that is what my back needs. It is doing better, but now I have a case of sudden onset laryngitis. :lol: I had a bit of a sore throat yesterday morning, went to work, was singing with the kids for 30 minutes around 11:00, took my break and by 1 could barely talk. I did go to the doctor, just to be sure. No strep. No CoVid. So, some random virus that will have to run it's course. Plus, I cleaned my gutters on Wednesday, so probably inhaled something I shouldn't have too. I really don't feel bad, just a little tired. So, instead of running today, I opted for a walk. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @swenson19d - I love how in the 'good' picture of Sandy she is giving you the side-eye. Like, enough pictures already! 😂 She looks so much like a chocolate lab. I just love Kevin's face and expressions. He is so cute! Hobbes' pads are connected too (I had to check). I am guessing it is for dogs that are swimmers/retrievers.
    Yea! for losing weight! I am sure as you move more and get stronger it will continue.
    That is an amazing amount of lint! We don't have a pipe just wide house thing that vents to outside but once we had a tech come to service the dryer and he took the front panel off and cleaned a bunch of lint out that escaped the lint trap. Like @quilteryoyo I pretty much clean mine out every time I use it.

@quilteryoyo - I hope the exercises help your back. I think mine was from not sleeping on my own bed. It has been fine since we have been back in our own house, despite al the lifting and moving of boxes and furniture. Laryngitis is one of those weird things that doesn't seem to make you feel bad like the flu but just gives a bit of fever and loss of your voice. Glad it wasn't strep or covid.

About covid - I read an interesting article this morning about it just being here for the long term and we have to get used to dealing with it like we do the flu. Maybe continuing to wear masks, maybe not but getting a regular vaccine like we would or maybe even combined with the flu vaccine.

I am making a little progress unpacking. I wanted to lay out the pantry and other cabinets in a way that made sense logically but I decided I can do that but need to start putting things away and stop planning. We'll see. Hopefully they won't all end up just a jumbled mess again. We are also finding things packed oddly too, like all the lamp bases (with the bulbs individually wrapped) but none of the shades and none of the boxes say lamp shades. I also 'lost' Hobbes running leash. I had it at the other house so it has to be here somewhere unless it accidentally got tossed in a box headed for the trash.

When Hans and Hilde were younger and just moved to California (in the mid 1960's) they used to drive to Mexico, to the Sea of Cortes (Gulf of CA), San Felipe and beyond. No one went there, the beaches were empty and they could drive right onto the beach and camp. It is all a protected area now I believe. They went there every year for a week or two for years. Even after we moved into our house they would go and bring home shells to our dd that they found on the beach. There were shells scattered around the house on shelves, etc. and they had given dd a huge box of beautiful shells. When cleaning out the garage this week we found these:
    We found this box of all sand dollars a week or so ago. They are all perfect, not a single one cracked or broken. Dd wants to keep them along with the other box of shells she already has from them.
    alh10igmsqg0.jpeg
    These next four pictures were huge boxes of shells we found under a cabinet in the garage
    4499puqh4wv0.jpeg
    2eef6b8pxsxu.jpeg
    5jy28gicxvbi.jpeg
    wq0smj4wv1hc.jpeg
    I picked these out of the boxes above and gave the rest to one of the guys helping us clean things out. He has fish ponds and fountains in his yard and will use them there
    46drf6omr15n.jpeg
    I have no idea what to do with them or what dd will do with them. They are all gorgeous though.

Hot today again - I know it hit 95 here and officially may be higher. It was also very windy. Tomorrow is supposed to be nicer so I am hoping to get out for a run with Hobbes. Food still not great but improving.

• quilteryoyo
    Options
    @shanaber Glad your back is doing better. Unpacking is such a chore. That's a lot of shells. They are really pretty and I'm glad that the person who took most of them will make good use of them. I'm sure Hilde would approve. I have a clear glass vase on my bathroom counter that contains some of my shell collection. I think they are a lot smaller than the ones you have, but maybe you could do something similar with them, or put them in a shadow box of some sort.

I don't recall if I told you guys about the persimmon tree I found in my neighbor's field. It was so full of persimmons. I had never seen that many. I ate one and it was delicious, so I asked my neighbor for permission to pick them. My friend and I went one day last week and picked the ones we could reach. I got over a gallon. I made persimmon pudding (more like cake) on Wednesday and it was really good.
    qsyqi7i6gd2j.jpgsia7mi5r1bgx.jpg
    This is the tree full of persimmons.
    4etic78h99tz.jpg
    I think the recipe had a typo and said to cook at 400°F for 55 minutes. It was getting so dark, that I got it out after about 35 minutes. Other recipes that I looked at cooked it at 300°F or 325°F. It didn't taste burnt, but probably would have had I left it much longer.
    k9mkhh5ldmas.jpg
    I'm not a food photographer, but here is a cut piece. It tastes a lot better than it looks. LOL
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Ugh, guys, I hit my panic weight. Gotta do something different. It’s because driving back and forth and feeding my mom means we are eating out too much and I never feel like cooking, plus the cooler weather means we run the same amount but walk less. I bought groceries and vowed to do better and then today my mother called (on our day free from her) freaking out about basically nothing - took my husband two hours to talk her down and sort out the mess she had made with her accounts, and by that time I was hungry and didn’t want to wait to finish cooking. So we ate restaurant food again, on one of the two days we should be left alone to eat decently.

As an example of the problems with my mom - husband has taken over paying her bills. Paid the Amex bill. She gets a bunch of alerts to her phone saying it isn’t paid. He tries to log on online and figure it out and she doesn’t have her online info. Finally gets hold of a physical bill in the mail (previous month she intercepted and lost somehow) and learns she has EIGHT CARDS because she keeps being convinced someone has stolen her card, canceling it, and getting a new one, only she has never actually canceled the cards she thought she cancelled. So, after going through all the bills which make no sense we figure out the charges all seem to be coming from her, from stuff she signed up for then forgot about. No one ever stole her cards. So my husband needs to talk to them on the phone, but can’t because he isn’t on the account, and plans to do this next time we are out there. But she calls in a panic when we are at home. Husband says okay, I talked to them on the phone and if you add me to your account they can talk to me. Gives her specific instructions. She calls back and says she talked to them and it’s all okay now, SHE ORDERED ANOTHER CARD. she did not do the one thing she was asked to do, but instead added a card so now she has nine separate accounts.

Anyway this was last month. My husband finally got her to add him by physically standing over her, talking to the guy on the phone and saying don’t let her distract you, and giving her the phone for two seconds exactly. Guy on the help line fortunately is going through this with his own mom and was sympathetic because she sure did try to grab the bit and run with it. She started asking about imaginary issues with god know what. But the help guy stays focused and keeps repeating himself until she pays attention and authorizes my husband to talk to him, he gets added to the account and fixes all the problems we know about. So this month a new bill arrives with new charges from yet something different we didn’t know about, and she calls and expects it fixed today, aka our day off. The caretaker has started intercepting the mail and hiding it from her so she can’t lose it, but somehow Amex still has my mom’s phone and texts her. So there was that. Plus I don’t even remember, a long list of things that aren’t really things, because what she really wants is to monopolize our time, so she makes stuff up and demands we pay attention to her.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @rheddmobile I'm sorry you are having so many issues with your mom. It's hard. I'm glad your husband was able to get added to her account. Can he get them to cancel the phone alerts to her? Change the phone number on the account to his own or something.
    I hear you on the weight too. It's so hard to lose eating out a lot. Restaurant food either has a ton of calories or a ton of salt. Hugs to you and hope you and your DH has today for some you time.
  • swenson19d
    Options
    @rheddmobile You thinking that the unmanageable might need to be managed with “rehoming” (long term care)? If you guys can get power of attorney at least it may help. Will posting a sign by the phone help her remember?