Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,960 Member
    Options
    @swenson19d Love Kevin's curls! The DNA results are really interesting. I'm sure they'll both start loving the water. Have you taken them to any puppy training classes?
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    @swenson19d Those DNA results are so cool! Exactly 50/50! Does sound like a breeder. I always suspect black cat is pure maine coon even though we got him from a shelter. He has some deformities (fused toes and missing leg) and he was dropped off at the shelter when he was a week old. I suspect he was a runt of the litter from a breeder who didn't want to bother with him.

@shanaber That is crazy about your weather! I was reading about the massive amounts near San Fran.

Thanks all on the advice about depression. I ended up ordering SAMe, 5 HTP, and St Johns Wort. I have also been putting forth the effort to get my multi vitamins in with B Complex and D3. My mom also use to swear by AC Glutathione 250. I found a bottle she had and took one last night. She said she used to take it for energy. IDK, I think the only thing I felt was maybe warmer. But the bottle is $100 for 60! Yikes! There are maybe 25 left in the bottle she had so I get a "free" sample.

Nothing exciting yesterday. It rained most of the day, a couple big downpours. I think my weather app said we got maybe 1.5 inches. We sure need it!

I logged all food, sorta. I planned on having the creamed chicken soup for dinner but then had to make pigs in a blanket for the potluck today and had maybe 8? I cut my soup serving in half and hoped it evened out. I am sure the piggies were more though.

Did not get my 5000 steps. I even added a bit extra when I go to the bathroom and somehow managed to get less than when I didn't try! DH is not in the least bit interested in walking.

Probably not going to try and track calories with the potluck. I will be mindful though. On track for all my vitamins though.

Goal is 5000 steps again, but damn it is cold out there! I am all about the self comfort right now. Even bought one of those super fuzzy lounge outfits.

My buddy is also trying to lose weight, he stopped snacking and drank tea and walked...he lost 7lbs. ugh, men.
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    @swenson19d Love Kevin's curls! The DNA results are really interesting. I'm sure they'll both start loving the water. Have you taken them to any puppy training classes?

I haven't yet. I want too. I looked into certifying them as therapy dogs, and alternate training days would make that so much easier.They do okay. won't drop cat poo though and Sandy won't bring me stuff she finds like Kev does. eh, puppies. I also want to do the service dog thing for anxiety. I have been a bit overwhelmed lately and have had an underlying anger that is just starting to boil over. I am sure it is Alex related and dh just hasn't been there for me, hes grumpy an I have no room for it... Changing to psychology, figuring out pain/weakness, and minding these puppies have me running on the hamster wheel. The pups seem to be growing into more dog like behaviours, playing with toys, sleeping longer-the trick is to give them my bed I guess. I also need to do violin catch up. I really put forth no effort this semester and am beating myself up for it, but still sit and make excuses as to why I can practice right now,.. dogs asleep-cant wake them; then I can't when they are awake... cuz they won't get off me and need constant supervision. Dh says they dont, but he is wrong. they will chew up everything or eat something dumb. they are 4 months old not 4 years
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @CMorning99 I hope all of those vitamins, etc help you feel more like yourself. I haven't had pigs in a blanket in ages. Have fun at your potluck.

@swenson19d You are super busy. My guess is that Kevin and Sally and you would benefit greatly from puppy training, if you can find the time. They do grow so fast. It's really amazing.

Today is the first anniversary of dad's death. I'm doing okay right now. Last night when I got home it was dark, but the nearly full moon was illuminating everything and it was 45ยฐF outside, so I did my walk on the driveway by the light of the moon. I just felt like I needed some fresh air. Then, I took a couple of short laps talking to God and the universe and crying and getting all of those pent up feelings out. That really helped and I felt so much better afterwards. Today, I am working 4 hours and then going to pick up a KFC dinner my neighbor, William, is paying for and take to to mom's for dinner with her and William. She is making banana pudding for dessert. Those were dad's favorite foods, so we figured it was a good way to honor his life and memory. (BTW, this was William's idea. He is so sweet and more like a brother to me than my real brother is.) Anyway, I think today will be okay. A little emotional, but okay. Hope you all have a great day.
  • CMorning99
    Options
    @quilteryoyo Thinking of you today! Sounds like a lovely day to spend remembering your dad.

Again, nothing exciting going on. Yesterday was pretty slow. The potluck was nice and I chose not to try and track calories during it. I had a small taste of everything and was good. What got me was the left over piggies were on my desk all afternoon and I snacked on them throughout, Doh! I wasn't hungry when I got home so DH at the last of the piggies. We watched a movie and I got a snack attack and had a bagel and rice crackers. Double Doh!

No exercise and steps were no where close to goal. I did get all my vitamins, 3 days in a row now. I can't say I feel better yet. Grey cat has not been sleeping well and has been tossing and turning and kicking me...waking me up 3-4x a night. I am a sleep princess and get quit cranky when interrupted.

Today we had commanders call first thing in the AM. I still feel like a stranger in the unit. There is another meeting at 10am that I was invited to, but not sure what role I play. I need to leave at 10:45 for grey cats 3 month cardiology appt. Not sure what they are going to do, he just had blood work and xrays about 6 wks ago. Not sure what else we need to know...maybe how quickly it is progressing? But does that really matter at this point and worth $600.

I am looking for a to-do list app that will give me reminders. Drink water, take a walk, etc.

Scale up and not budging. No drop at all this week after the weekend "bloat". Concerning. DH and I got in a discussion last night when I said I was still gaining and he just could not fathom why. He claimed we only eat 1 serving! Well buddy, when that 1 serving is 600 cals and there are 3 meals in a day LOL. He could not figure it out. Ahhh, the ignorance that comes with never caring about your weight. Although he is getting a bit fuller around the middle.

Today's goals: Take all vitamins, walk 5000 steps, track calories.

Cold and rainy again today so those steps might be a struggle.

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo Thinking of you today. How fortunate to have such a good neighbor!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    Sending you {{HUGS}} today @quilteryoyo
  • CMorning99
    Options
    Good morning!

I am feeling polar today. I am awake and actually woke up before my alarm ready to go, but I woke up sad. I dreamed of Mom last night. I dreamt I was able to get her on some sort of video chat console (the console was in her truck and in real life, it does not even have one). The dream felt so real and we talked, I don't remember what about but I remember just before I woke up I told her how much she looked like her mother at that age and she thought that was funny. I have been teary eyed all morning and my tears are held back with cobwebs...ready to burst. But physically I dare say I feel great! Scale even did a drop finally.

Yesterday I looked for an accountability tracker. In the past I used RunBet and there was a weight loss one. You pledge X amount of money and it went into a pot and then you had to meet the goals, run so many times week, lose so much a week, and you stayed in the game. At the end everyone who "won" split the pot. You didn't make a lot, maybe 5-15 dollars, but it was fun and at the end of the year you could cash in and treat-yo-self! Well, it was bought out by a bigger developer and they RUINED it! You now have to pay $120 every six months to play and that is on top of your wagers. No way to make money now. With as little as you got, you probably wouldn't even make back your subscription. I read the reviews and people had the same feelings and they said the games are sucking too.

I found another one called Beeminder. Their website looked promising, you don't make money but you bet on yourself. If you lose, they keep your money. It is free unless you lose. Unfortunately when I looked at the app reviews, people weren't too happy with it it seems. And it lacks the thrill of winning but instead is the fear of losing.

Grey cats appt was expensive. I can't say no when they recommend something. The bill was $1000. But the good news is his disease is progressing extremely slowly and he is still in a good quality of life range. His COPD is getting worse so I need to figure out what to do about that. If we increase his inhaler, I need to order from Canada b/c I can not afford US prices.

Got all vitamins yesterday. No on the 5,000 steps, yes, tracked all food. Came in a bit over but I did have some honest questions a few times about why I was eating.

Goals today: all vitamins (my supps should be coming for emotional support). 5,000 steps (snort), track all calories. We are eating at the bowling alley for work today so that will be interesting.

Busy weekend with hair appt, black cat chemo, work holiday party. Next week is short as we start our 2 week stand-down!

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @CMorning99 That's disappointing about runbet. I had used them a few times in the past and won like $20 total from 2 or 3 challenges I did. It was a great idea.

Another week and another loss! A little over a pound for December so far. Tracking consistently helps. I did miss a few days last weekend because it was a crazy weekend but didn't seem to affect much.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Thanks everyone. We made it through the day and did okay. William is the best neighbor ever.

@CMorning99 I'm glad Grey cat is fairly stable. Hope black cat is doing okay too. I understand about not saying no to things the vet recommends. So far, I'm doing the same with Tippy. I told her the other day she was getting expensive. :lol: I use Habitica to track my to-do's, but it doesn't give you reminders. I also use OneNote for my daily to-do lists. Actually, have been using it more than Habitica lately. Have you thought about paying yourself. I used to do that. I paid myself $2 for every day I exercised and $5 or $10 for every pound I lost. If I gained, I had to subtract that amount. I just kept a tally sheet and when I had enough money, I bought myself something that I really wanted, but didn't need - like a nice camera or new shoes.

I saw an orthopedic doctor yesterday. I got some disappointing news. He did an x-ray and turns out I have "dextroscoliosis convex to the right at L2. Curvature measures approximately 33 degrees from the T12 to the L5. Multilevel degenerative disc disease with facet arthropathy without fractures or spondylolisthesis." Not sure what all of those terms mean, but the x-ray looked pretty bad. No wonder it has been hurting. He gave me a steroid pack and some muscle relaxers. I was shocked so wasn't thinking clearly. The prescription for the muscle relaxers is for 2 pills for 45 days. I am going to call him on Monday and see if I really need to take them for 45 days in a row or if I can only take them when it hurts. I hate taking things that mask pain, so that I don't know what it is really doing, if you know what I mean. He didn't tell my not to run, but did say he didn't recommend it. I'm still trying to process all of this and see what I choose to do. Like mom said, if I can't run and can't play tennis, there goes the two things that I really enjoy. I know I'll deal, but it's tough. If I can get a copy of the x-ray, I'll post it. I don't think I can access it through the medical portal though. I'll check later today.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @swenson19d - it is hard not to think puppies should behave like a grown up dog when they are as big as many grown dogs. Even with Beaux the Vizsla puppy I found myself expecting him to know things and behave like Hobbes because he was the same size (bigger actually) and then I would have to slap myself to the realization that he couldn't do/know those things because he is still a baby dog.
    @quilteryoyo - I am so sorry for the bad news on your back. I hope you can get some better guidance on moving forward and getting to reduced pain if not pain free movement so you can get back to doing the things you love. Did he say anything about any strengthening exercises, strength training type, to help the surrounding muscles to provide more support?
    @CMorning99 - I hadn't heard anyone mention RunBet for a while now and had forgotten about it. I always thought it sounded like a fun idea but never actually tried it. It is too bad that they have changed it so much. I don't imagine too many people would be participating now. I don't know how motivating it would be but you could do something like @quilteryoyo mentioned, just manage the bets yourself and put the money aside in a box or a jar or something and then see how much you have at the end of the month, quarter, year or whatever.
    @RunsOnEspresso - You are doing great losing during December! I always just want to maintain until after the 1st of the year.

I am having a bout of inflammation (?). I used to get it when I would go for my long runs and I would hurt all over, even just to the touch. This time it fell on me yesterday when I was out for my run and today I am so achy and sore. Honestly I haven't felt like this since I had rheumatic fever as a kid. If it starts moving from joint to joint I will make an appointment to see my doctor. I wanted to run my Hot Chocolate 15k yesterday but now it will be tomorrow or maybe after Christmas.
    I did get all my baking done and have boxes all packed and ready to get mailed tomorrow. Labels have been printed and postage paid so dh just has to drop them at the post office. Amazingly they should arrive before Christmas.
    Big news - Hilde's house has sold!! Barring any disaster in the next couple of days, contingencies will be removed next week and it will close on the 6th! They had the inspection yesterday and nothing major was found. I was a little worried about the garage because Hans had all kinds of things rigged up to make his man cave more comfortable. The inspector asked what kind of work Hans did and said he figured the shenanigans (nothing bad) were designed by an engineer and was something he would have done. The buyer was there too so I got to meet him and he seemed pretty nice.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @shanaber Thanks. Yes, I am doing some strengthening exercises and stretches. I have been since seeing the Chiropractor - so for a couple of months. I am going to try to get an appointment with a different Ortho that @Teresa502 knows that is a marathoner, so he gets it and tries to make sure runners can still run. So, he should have some more relevant advice for me. I'm also going to call my current chiropractor today to let him know what the x-ray showed and call the current ortho to ask about not taking the muscle relaxer unless I have pain, since my pain isn't constant. Congrats on getting Hilde's house sold. I know that is a load off of your shoulders. Also congrats on getting your baking done and in the mail. Things keep happening, so I still have very little done and no cards sent. I hope to get the major ones in the mail tomorrow. Not really expecting them to make it on time. Oh well. Guess it really doesn't matter. Those who love me know that, with or without a card.

My back has felt better over the weekend, but the mega doses of steroids I am taking has kept me awake. I don't think I really got any sleep at all Saturday night and maybe 3 broken hours last night. I'm tired and can tell I'm sleep deprived, but I'm not sleepy. With the dosage going down every day, I hope I can get a bit more sleep tonight. Day care should be interesting today.
  • swenson19d
    Options
    @quilteryoyo oh your poor back! What did the Ortho suggest for treatment? Anything other than reduce inflammation and calm those muscles? Depending on how the relaxers make you feel, you might take them at night to help with sleep. I am out to break into my hidden script from 2018 for relief.

@shanaber I sympathise with both you @quilteryoyo 's pain. Stay on top of that RF. I ache all over and am stiff but really have no idea why.

Dogs
    I bought three bones that can be stuffed for three dogs. It's impossible. Sandy always wants Kevin's. Kev is just starting to assert himself and tell her "no". He had a spot with me and she tried to take it, he actually ran her off. I am going to try to talk Dh into spaying/neutering at 8-10 months instead of 12-18. Kev will try to wander and the task of protecting Sandy's virtue seems like its just not worth trying to wait longer. Every animal Ive had has been done about 6-7 months and they all lived long healthy lives... I dont see why I need to wait once these two are 8 months. Thoughts?
    Therapy dogs
    I looked into doing therapy dog stuff, haven't heard back yet. Seems you can make about 44K annually (on average). Be nice to have the income for dog food. oh and toys and vet visits... but mostly food.

All I want for Christmas is a bed all to myself... Sandy actually let me get a pic!
    88ifgzgopd77.jpeg

Violin
    I signed up for extra lessons beginning Jan 3rd. So Ill have two instructors, and the additional motivation to practice. I have been assertive with DH and at least I feel better, but I am still eager to settle who's getting out. Which isn't where he is. Any way, it's better for me to be able to tell him BS rather than playing nice, keep him in line. I looked at townhomes in Savannah Ga, found some affordable and loved the idea. I may still run TF away. haha! Come visit me, we'll drink down at the beach and watch the dogs play in the sea.
  • CMorning99
    Options
    Good morning!

I am feeling really good today! I have taken all my vitamins for 6 out of the last 7 days and I really think they are working! I have good energy and did not craving a nap weekend. For the last 3 days I have woken up before or with my alarm and was awake. We will see how the weekday goes and sitting at a desk all day. My mood supps came in and I have only taken them for 2 days so too soon to tell. But overall I have been pretty productive.

The weekend was busy. My hair appt and then we drove all the way to the vet (30 miles) for black cat chemo and when we got there we thought we had forgotten the meds...we went home and I found them under the passenger seat. We had to give it to him, it is just a pill, and I thought it was a big pill but it is the size of a tic-tac and we just put it in a treat and he swallowed it whole! We might just go 1x a month now for his shot and weigh in since it was so easy. Only rough thing is if he bites into it we have problems. It is coated and the vet said DO NOT let it dissolve in his mouth. I was able to get the written RX for his inhaler so today I am going to see how we can order from Canada.

Sunday we did our shopping, DH wants pot roast for holiday dinner. He did the necessary chores and I worked on my reselling.

No plans for this week. I only have to work 3 days and then off for a week. I am going to really push with reselling and try to get through my backlog. I want to work through 200 items, I am off for 11 days so that is 20 items a day to make it easy. Doesn't look like I am going to make my goal this year on profit, December has been slow sales for some reason.

Hope everyone has a great start of the week!
  • CMorning99
    Options
    Well, just put in a RX request to Canadian Pharmacy Online for grey cat's inhaler. $88 vs $487. Seemed pretty straight forward, pick your RX, email RX, and pay...none of them took credit card, suspect maybe b/c of fraud...had to do an electronic check. Everything said it went through, so now we wait. Slow processing though, 2-3 weeks. I really hope this works!

Still feeling really good!
  • shanaber
    Options
    @swenson19d - it is hard having a male and female dog un-neutered. I know there are diaper kind of things you can put on Sandy if she goes into heat but I am not very knowledgable on it. The main reason I waited for Hobbes to be older was for the growth plates to close completely. Vizslas can have a lot of joint and other issues and having the hormones there until the growth plates close was important per out vet and the breeder. I would have done it sooner too because he couldn't got for daycare or boarding for several months.
    I would definitely visit you in GA. Can Hobbes come too? He loves playing on the beach ๐Ÿ˜Š Seriously though, I hope you and dh can figure things out so you don't need to run away. I got more assertive with dh a while ago, I think when I really started to have more self-confidence which seemed to coincide with losing weight and getting fit and stronger. He was pretty put off by it initially but seems to have adjusted now although he does still get huffy when I don't just agree with what he says.
    Sandy looks like she is thinking 'ok fine, one damn picture' ๐Ÿ˜‚

I saw online some Dalmatian/lab puppies that were rescued not far from us. They are about 3mos old and I was trying to convince dh that Hobbes needs one for Christmas. He didn't go for it. I would love to have a puppy that Hobbes can grow into or an older one that he wouldn't have to run with constantly like Beaux. I wanted dh to get a lab rescue so he would have his own pup to go for walks with but he is just not interested.

@quilteryoyo - I saw your post on the newsfeed about your heat pump. Didn't you have issues with it last year too? I hope they were able to get out to fix as planned!

I felt great this morning and headed out for a run with Hobbes and that feeling didn't last. At one point I just sat on the bench with Hobbes and contemplated why I am even trying any more. I love how it feels to run outside but those runs have been pretty few and far between lately. We'll see, maybe I will just do more walking ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ
    Also dd texted me this morning hoping we were staying home mostly (we are). Apparently the new covid variant is exploding (her word) there. Stay safe everyone and be cautious!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @swenson19d I agree with @shanaber 's idea of what Sandy is thinking about the picture. So cute.

@CMorning99 I hope the Canadian meds work out. So much cheaper.

@shanaber Dalmatian/lab puppies sound so cute, but could be a little bigger than I would want. Yes. I did have trouble with my heat pump last year and the year before. I called a different repair company this time. They will be here tomorrow after 2 pm. It's going to be really cold tonight, but my emergency heat is working, so I won't get cold and one day of emergence heat shouldn't raise my power bill too much. Glad you got a walk in. I know I should remember this, but what is keeping you from running? The new CoVID variant is scary. Mom and I are being even more cautious again. We haven't had our booster shots yet. I am going to wait until after the first of the year since I am taking the steroids. I read in the RX paper that you shouldn't take any vaccinations while on them as they could cause an over reaction. Sure don't need that.

I was scheduled to work at daycare today, but turns out they didn't need me, so mom and I were able to finish our Christmas shopping. I was glad, because, with the heat pump issues, I wasn't sure when we would be able to finish. This year has just been crazy. I'm afraid not very many people will be getting cards from me this year, unless I send them after Christmas. LOL
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Thanks for the links @shanaber ! They are adorable. They look mostly lab though. I love the brindle one. I hope they get good homes. I am taking care of animals for my neighbor's while they are gone for a few days for Christmas. They have a lab/husky mix - the one that had the puppies last year. Unfortunately, they don't have the time to properly exercise it and haven't trained her, so she is obnoxious to the kids and they just don't have anything to do with her. It makes me sad. I can't bring her up here while they are gone because I will be gone a lot myself. But, I do plan to spend some extra time with her when I am down there and hope to take her a nice long walk on Christmas day. She would make a great running partner.
  • swenson19d
    Options
    @Shanaber OMG!!!! Go get that puppy! It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission, haha! and what? who could resist that face?!!!!! Happy Christmas to Hobbes! Unless he's Jewish, then he gets 8 puppies! haha!

How old was Hobbes the you neutered him? I have doggie pants, crates (which I can't get them to use anymore since letting them on the bed), and a plan to alternate yard time and the possibility of lending Kevin to my niece for a few hours a day to let him play with another dog. I talked to a woman on a FB page and it can be done, you just have to be vigilant. Kevin is almost 5 months old and his testicles haven't descended. Which is awesome. I am hoping they dont and he is a bilateral cryptorchid and thus sterile just in case there is an oops. I am working on extending the in-ground fence and collar training them to the boundaries of the yard. But, I wonder if he smells a female if he'll just plow though and take the zap and get out. I have an air tag I can put on him, he's chipped and has ID, but still dont want to lose him to another or a car.

I have the opportunity to help a former student with scheduling for her new practice! yay! I think it'll be fun and I love her cause, Mental Health management. It's become a cause so near a dear to my heart.

Beary...
    is on a shrimp kick. I gave him shrimp this past week daily as it was his 3rd birthday the 21st. I can't believe hes only 3? He's such an old man. Now he only wants shrimp...

DH
    Steps out on his own and is going into business for himself in the building with my former student. I want to do the therapy dog thing.

I am breaking my no alcohol rule...
    I set after losing Alex. I dont know if I am flirting with disaster, tempting fate, wanting to feel what Alex felt, or just blatant defiance. I have a 6 pack of raspberry Hefewiesen (sp). and ordered a bottle of Dead Rabbit Irish Whisky (guess that makes it a scotch). My anxiety has gotten worse. I thought this could help... IDK. I dont really like to drink. I did visit the doc and request HRT to help and anxiety that is due to hormonal changes.

Enjoy the foods and company this week!