Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,981 Member
    Options
    @shanaber It wasn't the compressor last year. It was the coils. Both the indoor and outdoor coils went out, about 8 months apart. Now this. But, it's cheaper than a whole new unit. I know what you mean about just wanting to find out what is causing your issues. Hugs to you. I hope everything works out for Hilde's house too.

@swenson19d What cute pictures! I really love the one where Sandy is hugging the cat.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I'm here. Thanks for asking. My back has been behaving, mostly, and I have been walking, but little running. I've been working a lot at daycare and trying to get some things done at home, so not spending as much time on the computer. I miss you all though.

@swenson19d I hope DD has a mild case and the rest of you don't get it.

@shanaber I hope they figure out what is going on with you and that there is something they can do to make the pain stop.

@CMorning99 I'm so sorry about LS and his lawyer and the court system isn't moving along faster. I hope he is not able to get a diagnosis and you get some sort of justice. I can't imagine having to go through this. Hugs to you.

I don't know if I told you or not, but my heat pump is out again. It's been out for 2 weeks - waiting on a new compressor to come in. Last week wasn't too bad, but it's been cold this week and tomorrow it's not supposed to get above freezing. I am not going to work tomorrow so I can keep I fire in my wood stove in the basement. Hopefully that will at least give a little relief to the Emergency Heat (electric from the heat pump) so that my power bill is at least affordable next month. I am going in to work at noon, so need to get out and get my wood in before I leave. It's supposed to start snowing again around 4pm. I hope if it does I can leave early and make it home before the roads get slick.

So, yesterday the igniter on our gas heater went out. Part not available until the 9th. So no heat until then and it’s supposed to go down to 16 tonight! So we went to the Home Depot and blew a bunch of cash on space heaters and most of the interior is about 63 right now, which is tolerable - but the outside temp is only 30 so I’m concerned about tonight. We won’t die but it may not be pleasant! We have also learned a lot about which outlets go together since we can only put one heater per circuit without blowing a fuse. Weirdly our washer/dryer downstairs goes with the upstairs master bathroom? Which is nowhere near directly over it? Who knew. It was this or a hotel and frankly with Omicron raging I’m not going to a hotel!

Anyway it always happens during the coldest part of the year doesn’t it? Stay safe and good luck!
  • quilteryoyo
    edited January 2022
    Options
    @rheddmobile I have a fire in the basement and a space heater on and it's 67 in the living room, but colder in the bathroom. I'm glad I do have emergency heat that works so that I can stay at 65 at least. I hope you are able to stay warm until your part comes in. I called about mine today and she said the manufacturer said it would be in the first week of Jan, so if they don't get it tomorrow, she'll call them on Monday to check the status. Even if they do get it, who knows when they will be able to come put it in. I hope early next week.

It looks like the snow storm mostly missed us here in E. TN, but with rain and a dusting of snow, it will be slick in the morning. I'm glad I have no where to go.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    Love the Sandy pictures @swenson19d! Hobbes was really interested in our bathtub until I tried to give him a bath. He hates it - I think because it makes noise from his nails and it is slippery. I have to bathe him in dh's shower instead.

@rheddmobile and @quilteryoyo - why is it that these things always break when it is coldest, or on a Thursday/Friday! I can remember as a kid our furnace going out always when my dad was out of town usually Thursday afternoon and no one could come to fix it. My mom would put a fire in the fireplace and we would all sleep in front of it with a pile of quilts around us. Hope you can stay warm tonight!

Also I don't know how hotels are near you these days but when we have stayed in them recently there was no contact. We checked in with our phone and it also worked as the room key. We honestly never saw anyone else - came and went through the entrance closest to our room so limited time in any public spaces.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @shanaber Yes. They always seem to go out when it is the most inconvenient. Same for battery powered smoke detectors. Seem they always alert you to the low batter at 3 am. LOL I was able to stay warm last night. I'm staying home today, not that I could drive on my driveway anyway due to ice, to keep the fire going. It should warm up some tomorrow afternoon.

@rheddmobile I do hope you were able to stay warm last night too.
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo Glad you stayed warm. I like sleeping bags when its cold; turn off the heat and bundle up. But no one else likes sleeping that way. haha! electric blanket perhaps?

@rheddmobile oh I love house wiring. Sounds likes someone just ran the two to the same breaker with no sense. You have any uh...? underwear? seems to be not the right word... oh a base layer! Im in mine because the dogs still need to run amuck and its a tad cold. says -4C. (I set my default to the queens English, separating myself from this country).

@shanaber I had to put Kev in the tub often early on. I knew he was going to be too big to wrestle for a bath. Sandy isn't so keen on it... yet. Some days we just do an inch or so of water and rinse feet. Kevin threatens to get in the shower with me. bet he will at some point. I can see the nails being an odd sensation in the tub.

I have a neighbour who does upholstery work and I have an old wood desk chair on castors, I'd bet its 100 years old. Casters were invented in 1876 btw. I took the torn upholstery off ages ago and it could use some but t cushion. I got tired of looking for material and asked if she had remnants of anything to use, even if the seat and back were different. She'll prob think me a nut. But I just dont care. Its just a chair. and if its goofy then so be it.

I've over eaten 4 days in a row now.
    I am going to try to do better today. There is a steak in there and I can roast some cubed taters, maybe open a can of green beans.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @quilteryoyo - glad you slept ok and that you don't have to go into work or anything today.
    @rheddmobile - hope you managed to stay warm and sleep ok too!
    @swenson19d - do your pups let you trim or Dremel their nails? I can do Hobbes with help from dh to feed him treats but his paws are just too sensitive. I made a point of playing with them when he was little and trying to Dremel them often and he has just always hated it. He also doesn't like stepping on anything on the sidewalks like leaves or little seed or flower things off the trees. He tries to dance around them.
    I am planning to take my dining room chairs over to have them reupholstered soon too. They are really old too - with dd 5 generations of my family have sat at the table.
    zgavileofj02.jpeg
    I only have 6 chairs but there were over 20 originally. I think my brother has one and maybe my cousin. I had them done about 30 years ago maybe, not sure exactly when but the seats are falling apart underneath and are no longer comfortable to sit in either.

We had a ham, spiral kind from Costco for Christmas and it had SO much meat on it. We have been having it a couple times a week and there seems to be so much left still. I am going to take the bone and some of the chunks of meat and make soup though with it this weekend.
    We went to Costco yesterday morning and stocked up. Got some chicken and pork chops. At some point I need to get some sauerkraut to cook the chops in with some mashed potatoes.
  • swenson19d
    Options
    @shanaber I love the dining set. It reminds me of the tables growing up, ours is rectangle and rather cheaply made. Alex set a pen on it that leaked when he can home from boo camp. So its a keepsake now. I clip their nails when they are asleep mostly. Kev has let me do 2 nails while he licks me. That has been the extent of the trust. Poor Sandy, when we got her the gal bathed her and clipped her nails, cutting 3 of them too short... so no trust. I try to touch their paws with the clippers to gain trust. The dremmel would be nice, but so far no one is comfortable with it so I use it for my callused feet. or my nails if I am showing them it is fine. the kraut and chops sound good!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Thanks @shanaber . I've kept the fire going today, so the emergency heat hasn't come on. I'm sure it will later tonight, but at least I saved some electricity with it. Love your dining room set. I hope you can find someone to do a good job on the upholstery.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    House went down to 58 last night but it was okay with an electric blanket. The cat slept under the blankets with me which is a first for him!

So, they called me about the echo - or rather the nurse called - said no problems found, which the only thing wrong is I had read my chart on my patient portal and there were actually several problems found. So I asked about them and she went, uh, I will have to get with the cardio and get back to you, I’m looking at the chart and yep, I see that, but he didn’t mention it. So I don’t know if he considers the issues minor or if he just misread my report. And of course no one called back.

@shanaber I love those chairs! I would take a photo of my dining room table but it is buried under my husband’s art crap atm. It’s from my grandmother, and is a late 19th century reproduction of a Jacobean era table with leaves and barley twist legs. The nails in it are all hand made nails. When my grandmother died, her next door neighbor who was a really snooty wealthy guy showed up about thirty minutes after, and we were surprised that he was there to offer condolences because we didn’t think he cared that much. But the first words out of his mouth? “Are you going to have an estate sale? Because I want to make an offer on that table before it goes into the sale.” I don’t remember what my mom said to him but she was pretty shocked.

• quilteryoyo
    Options
    I'm glad you made it through the night okay @rheddmobile. An electric blanket is a great help in those situations. I grew up in an old farm house. My room was upstairs. I remember waking up and being able to see my breath is was so cold, but I was warm under the electric blanket. However, it made it really hard to get out of bed in the morning. :lol: I'm glad it is going to warm up for a couple of days. When are you going to get your furnace fixed? I didn't hear from the heat pump people yesterday, so I am assuming my part didn't come in. People can be so callous when it comes to "stuff" after someone dies. They just aren't thinking about anyone but themselves.
  • swenson19d
    Options
    @rheddmobile Don't you love the patient portal? I've had similar experiences where I was told A was out when it was B and had to correct the nurse. Of course it can be just a miscommunication. But, I've also had an instance where the made me younger and crossed my chart with another, twice; different places.
    I'm not surprised about the predatory neighbour. We have that issue with Alex's "friends" asking for ashes. If I'd had thought about it, I would have offered keepsakes urns to select ones. Well... just one actually. Which I can still do since I kept about a third of the ashes in case we, as a family, want to scatter them. I'm anxious to see that table! Tell your dh to scoot his work for a sec 😉. We dont mind the lived in look. Perhaps showcase a piece or two.

I am going to come sleep with you @rheddmobile or @quilteryoyo. Dh keeps it 67 at night and its too hot for me. I thought about sleeping in the hammock outside.

@quilteryoyo Love the old farm house and the experience of it! Best I have is camper or tent sleeping. We didnt have ac in Dallas a few times growing up, no fun sleeping when its 90 and zero breeze.

What's everyone eating today?
    I didnt cook the steak yesterday. Dh is on my list and I didnt want to fix one for him... he bought me a burger, which was less than mediocre. Only Ardmore can mess up a burger. 😩.

Its drizzling here and warmed up a bit. Just a guess but I bet it's in the upper 40's. Pups are extra tired today so it's be great to do some reading for classes.

@shanaber I thought you all were silly when you told me dogs eat carrots. These two ate 5-6 yesterday, large ones.They love them and often its a keep away game. The old dog, Maggie, even likes the carrots. I've offered them as an alternative to stick chewing for a while now. Anyway, thanks for that info.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @swenson19d Carrots are one of Tippy's favorite foods. Mom gives them to her for snacks all the time.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @rheddmobile and @quilteryoyo - my room at home was the only room up stairs (attic room) and ran the width of the house over the garage. There was no or little insulation and little to no heat in the winter. I slept under a pile of blankets and quilts in the winter. Of course I also had a small little heating element in the form of a chihuahua puppy that I was sure was going to suffocate under the blankets but was just fine. In the summer I slept in the floor in the basement - my room was way too hot and we had no air conditioning either.
    @rheddmobile - here is the other chair that goes to the table, although we have never really had room for it at the table. It is in our living room. My brother has its mate.
    0e83zcf8w6vq.jpeg
    I can't believe that neighbor would say such a thing but honestly it sounds like my brother (the one with the other chair). I would be a bit surprised if he still had everything (we haven't spoken in many years) since he was always mainly interested in what things were worth, not the sentimental value.

@quilteryoyo - how is your back doing?

@rheddmobile - I hope you hear from the cardiologist and they get the information right...
    I love the patient portal mostly to be able to see my test results and get my questions together before I talk to the doctor. She ordered another ANA test surprisingly since I had one before that was positive, although this one was a bit different. Instead of 'homogeneous' like the last one, this one was 'nuclear, speckled' which seems to be more related to lupus. We'll see what the other tests come back with and what they decide the issue is and any path forward that might help.

Food today - I had oatmeal before I ran which was awesome since I lost my Skratch gels that I took with me on my run and didn't really end up. needing them. Dh went out for doughnuts and I had half of one after my run plus a grilled chicken sandwich. We had snacks for dinner - mini quiche and panko shrimp. Note - other than the lettuce on my sandwich there were no veggies today at all 😳 I am trying to do better there with veggies at least twice a day. Didn't manage it today though.

• quilteryoyo
    Options
    @shanaber Sounds like your room was like mine growing up. I had forgot about how hot it would get in the summer. We did have a couple of windows that we opened so that we got some cross ventilation. Love the chairs. Sounds like you did good with food yesterday, if we ignore the no veggie part. :wink:

Mom and I are having spaghetti for lunch today, with garlic bread and pie. I put bell peppers in the sauce. Does that count as a serving of vegetables?
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

My work schedule has been all over the place that is the only time I sit down and type. Omicron is raging here and so we went back to split shifts to minimize contact. And then our internet went down on Friday so that was a wash.

I am moving and grooving, feeling a lot better mentally...it is weird clear minded feeling. Yesterday I was driving home and realized I was smiling for no reason LOL

@quilteryoyo One of my friends just bought 37? acres in Kingston TN. This winter storm was the first one and they were so excited...I wanted to ask them they know what happens after it rains an inch and then 19 degrees at nigh right? They just moved out there from the Bay Area here in Cali.

What a pain about all the heating issues? Mom lived in a mobile home so insulation was sus and her furnace was a POS so she just gave up. She bought those oil radiators and had them set up around the house. She also had very sus wiring and she said that they didn't put too much of a draw on the house.

Me not working Thurs/Friday thru us off our walking schedule and Fri/Sat I felt off. Not sick but sniffly? No real concrete symptoms other than tired. On Sunday I felt fine but woke up with a rash on my back and it is still there and OMG, it is a level of hell with how much it itches! No idea if it is stress, environmental, food? I stopped taking the serotonin sups just in case since that was the newest thing I had introduced. 2 days and still a rash.

I worked on reselling a bit, but not as much as usual. I am really trying to figure out how much I would need to make to not have to work. I feel guilty though about not working after retirement, I don't want to put pressure on DH. It would be nice to make as much as I am now, but not sure I want to do that kind of work. But I also realize 42 is not "retirement age" LOL I figure with my retirement pay (minus so many taxes) and if I can pay myself $1,000 from reselling, that will get me to $3K a month. Not a lot. DH and I are slowly figure out what our bills would be, best guess. As long as he works, we are fine. I just don't want him to feel resentful.

In fun news, we pick up DH's tesla today. He is trying to act all cool and calm but I know he is thrilled...A new high tech toy LOL. We also started the wells yesterday. They came up to work in the orchard first and the drilling truck hit that sand and sank to their axles LOL They pulled it out and they have to bring in some mats to put down, but good to know that even after rain, that sand is soft. While they wait for the mats, they are going to work on site #2. They start digging today! Fingers crossed and pray to the water gods! Or this is one hellova an oops, wrong spot LOL.

My to do's today...call the gas company and see where my freaking meter is. And the draftsman is supposed to be back today and we want to add a workshop to the garage for my reselling business...I had planned to work out of a spare room like I always do, but DH nicely pointed out it would be "nice" to have it out of the house LOL. Oh and cancel mom's trash service. No point in paying $20 a month.

Have a great week!

• quilteryoyo
    Options
    @CMorning99 Sounds like you are doing good. I was 38 when I retired (early). I didn't work until a couple of years after my husband passed away, which would have been in 2008, so was 11 years without a job. He was older than me, so we had his retirement too. It wasn't a lot, but it was enough for us since the cost of living is low here in TN and we paid for our house in full when it was built, so no monthly bills other than utilities and food. I'm glad that is what we did since he died so young (63 years old) and we had those 9 years that we were together without worrying about going to a job everyday.
    I hope you start feeling better and the itchy rash goes away. Enjoy the Tesla! Hope they find water easily.

I did get my heat pump fixed yesterday! Yeah. I could turn the heat back up and not feel like I was freezing - sorry @swenson19d , you probably would not want to come sleep in my house now. :lol:
    Now, my vacuum is broken. It was old, so not really unexpected. I started to plug it into the wall and one of the prongs broke off. I guess it bent one too many times. I've researched them this afternoon and may go to Lowes tomorrow or Thursday and pick up a Bissel Clearview Swivel Pet Upright. It got good reviews from a couple of sites I looked at.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

We are officially Tesla owners! I got off on the wrong foot with the car though LOL. We drove down (1 hr) to get it and the app said it was a touchless pick up that would take 15 min. Well 1.5 hours later and well past dinner time, we were finally out of the dealership. By that time it was nearly 6pm and I was hangry and fatigued. The car annoyed me LOL I can say it was nothing ground breaking (having had hybrids before) and some things are too pretentious for my taste...like not a single knob or latch in the car. Everything goes through the touch screen, even opening the glove box.

Well #1 is in. Not sure if it is viable yet (what the gpm are). But my neighbor said they packed up and moved to well site #2, so no news is good news? Mom's geologist friend called me to give me an update on where they were, he used to be the county well consultant. Mom had the best friends and I am so grateful they have all taken me under their wing and watching out for me and involved.

Not much else is going on. Reselling is still doing well. I was trying to figure out how much I need to sell a month to make it "full time". It is a lot.

Got on the scale again. Back up to 166 but probably bloat, I have not been drinking enough water. I guess I still don't have the desire to do anything about it, not sure what the tipping point will be.

DH said we are going on a date tonight and have fun, no idea what that means LOL We still have not started walking yet. My lack of work schedule really screws me up. When I am home all day, I am on my feet all day working on reselling and when he comes home, I have a pulse in my feet.

Goals for the day: track calories, drink water, call for insurance on tesla, cat inhaler

Have a great weekend!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Glad you got the Tesla @CMorning99 . I don't think I would like everything being done with the touch screen. I really like to have a manual override in case the computer goes awry. And, how do you do stuff like roll down a window while still paying attention to driving with a touch screen? Interesting. It's great that your mom's friends are so nice and helping to take care of you. That attests to the kind of woman she was. Have fun on your date night.

I spent the day in town with mom. First she had a doctor's appointment, then we got our CoVID booster shots, and then spent most of the rest of the day doing some shopping and getting groceries. It took us all day. Well, we did have lunch out. We had Chinese, so lots of sodium in that meal, but mom had never had Chinese, so she agreed to give it a try. She liked it, but prefers Mexican. :smile:
  • shanaber
    Options
    Congratulations @CMorning99 on being a Tesla owner. I also didn't know that about the touch screen. @quilteryoyo - the Teslas have that automated driving feature 😳 so I suppose you can let it do its thing while you hunt for the screen to roll down the window or adjust the climate control 😂
    Hope you had a fun date night and can get back into the walking habit with dh @CMorning99

@quilteryoyo - sounds like another very busy day for you and your mom. How are you feeling after your boosters? We had no reaction really other than a sore arm. I find it amazing that your mom had never had Chinese food before! My mom used to cook it for us at home but not as tasty as from a restaurant. I just remember lots of bean sprouts which I loved.

We spent yesterday out of our house while the housekeeper was here and took a drive down to pick up wine. We had 4 club orders so nearly a case of wine to pickup. Honestly I was surprised that we had that much on hold as it didn't seem like it had been that long since were there last. We took Hobbes to the dog park there first and he had a great time running around and wrestling with some of the other pups as well as chasing a ball for a bit (he gets pretty bored with that though). We walked all around the park which is huge and just generally wore him out before heading to the winery. It is always nice to leave for a few hours and come home to a sparkly clean house!