Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,965 Member
    Options
    @CMorning99 Sorry work has suddenly gotten so stressful for you. They can be unreasonable. Sounds like other areas are moving along. I am still amazed that you are doing so well.

@swenson19d Love the picture. The cat is really hard to see. I imagine the kibble did NOT go over well for dinner. :lol:
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,389 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    @swenson19d - I like the carpet but you are right the cats would be hard to see. So many of the rugs have that 'distressed' look. Yours isn't that bad but some look just worn out. I don't really want a worn out looking rug since it will get that way all on its own after a couple of years.
    It is so funny when big dogs are sure they should fit in a tiny bed and somehow manage to get mostly in it!
    Did you know that if you socialize the pups to the UPS guy/girl they have treats for them and take pictures with them. There is even a FB group called UPS Dogs or something like that. Not sure about FedEx. Hobbes doesn't like the sound of the trucks and will growl/bark even when we are out on the street. The drivers are fine, it just seems to be the trucks.

Not sure what is up with Hobbes. He was so good on our run yesterday and today he kept stopping which makes me crazy when it yanks me around (waist leash). Coming back though my stomach was upset and he stuck right next to me again.
    So we have bathrooms at each end of the trail I run. I was pretty sure the closer one would be closed because of the flooding I found yesterday and it was. I really needed to pee so we went all the way to the other end (not in my plan for today) and found it fortunately unoccupied but apparently it has become a homeless person's bedroom. There were blankets and trash all over and they had clearly been smoking something that was so acrid it made my eyes burn and made me cough so I got us out of there as quickly as possible, ran a bit further and my stomach started acting up. There was no way I was going back in that bathroom so I just tried to not make my stomach any angrier. I read last week about some little kids who got sick (1 or 2 may have died I think) from fentanyl at school and they had to decontaminate the school because even a tiny bit can be so harmful. So then I started worrying about Hobbes and if it was in the bathroom and he got it on his feet and he licked them... he's fine but that is where my mind was today.
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    @shanaber Glad Hobbes didn't get sick.

Kevin and Sandy were playing with a root today. I dismissed it as something benign. Turns out that it is likey poison hemlock. I spoke to pet poison helpline and had some botanist look at what's left of it. We are at supportive care. 😩 There's nothin to do I guess but wait it out. They seem fine-ish, just a bit barfy and tired. Sandy drank water and is keeping it down. So fingers crossed they get through this. I suppose tomorrow will be a trip to the vet, prob ER vet.
    I'm so sad. I'm sure they will be fine. No signs of respiratory distress. well. we may be off to the vet as the poison help suggests
  • shanaber
    Options
    Oh no @swenson19d!! I hope they are fine and that they didn't ingest enough of it to really make them sick. That is so scary! I will be thinking of you all tonight and hope to hear from you in the morning.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @shanaber It sounds like Tippy is just like Hobbes - give me the people, but leave the trucks somewhere else. She really dislikes big, noisy vehicles. Sorry about your tummy issues and that the bathroom was so gross. Fentanyl is so dangerous. Why anyone would willingly put that in their body is beyond me. I have a young friend that tried it once and landed in the hospital - heart stopped 2 or 3 times. He made it and said he learned his lesson, but I'm not sure. I hope he did. I haven't heard from him in a while, but know his living situation isn't the best. I have tried to help him, but you can't help someone who isn't willing to help themselves. I'm glad Hobbes is okay.

@swenson19d Oh no! I hope that Kevin and Sandy are okay! That's so scary.

• swenson19d
    Options
    Dogs are fine.
    ER vet visit for nausea control and activated charcoal. By time we got there, they were both rambunctious to see other people. We didn't get home til 1 AM. Why are emergencies always late, holidays or weekends? Pet poison helpline was great to have. Not bad for $65 to know if your pet needs to be seen. They connected us with a FB page to help ID the plant. Which they couldn't simply because the dogs destroyed it. I highly recommend saving these contacts in case you need them.

We found out that foxglove also grows here. I googled a picture of it and yes it is growing in my flowerbed too. I thought the poison hemlock was a wild flower, which I guess it is. Just didn't know it was hemlock.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @swenson19d - I am SO glad the puppies are ok! I was kind of afraid to check in here... I don't think we have hemlock here, at least not that I am aware of. We do have oleander though and all parts of it are very poisonous too. When dd was born we had it all along the back wall of our yard and had it all pulled out. The church behind us also had it along their side of the wall and it is still there. Fortunately Hobbes has never been too interested in eating leaves which are the only parts that would end up in our yard now. I am going to have to look up foxglove too. I don't know what it looks like.

We have been pretty fortunate and never had to take Hobbes to the ER vet. Our vet will return calls on the weekend/after hours, and can refer to an ER vet if she thinks they need to be seen. The only time I considered it was when Hobbes ate all of the muffins I had made that were loaded with raisins. The vet told me to take him outside and give him a teaspoon or so of hydrogen peroxide. It worked just like the activated charcoal and made him throw up all that he had eaten and then he was fine.

@quilteryoyo - I remember you talking about your young friend before and how sad you were that he was not taking better care of himself despite you and others trying to help him. It is so true that he needs to want to help himself. I do hope he is ok.

I am working on my 'eat more/better' plan today. Probably not the best day to do it since I will not be running or walking today. The wind is absolutely crazy! It got bad enough last night that it frightened Hobbes and he hid in the dark bedroom where I had the shutters all closed. I am hoping it has died down by tomorrow!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @swenson19d So glad that Kevin and Sandy are okay. I know that was scary.

@shanaber I hope the winds die down. Really strong winds scare me too, especially since I live in the middle of a small forest. Good luck with the food choices. I had bought some kale a week or so ago. I'm finally cooking some of it for dinner tonight. At least if it is in the house there is a chance it will get eaten. :wink:
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Shadow likes to eat (or try to eat) the leaves of a plant that can cause liver or kidney damage. I can't remember the name but of course the HOA has it planted EVERYWHERE. And lately she likes to rub her scent on another plant. I think it's the Mexican bird of paradise plant. I assume because cats. I see their lil glowing eyes in bushes when I run.

We had some wind and thunder last night. The first one startled both Shadow and me. I thought I saw lightning but wasn't sure and the thunder came way after. So much after I assumed the neighbors must have flashed their backyard lights real quick or something.

I've been reading along for a while, just not posting.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Nice to hear from you @RunsOnEspresso . One of our most recent storms, I swear there was a very loud crack of thunder and I didn't see any lightning. I know that is impossible, but....
  • shanaber
    edited January 2022
    Options
    So I spoke too soon about not having taken Hobbes or any of our pups into the ER Vet. Tonight was our first experience. Hobbes was looking like he was having a stroke or something, shaking his head, not using his hind legs, hopping and stumbling around when he was up and falling over when he was laying in his bed. They are pretty sure he has marijuana poisoning(!) and I am trying to figure out where he could have ingested it. I never saw him eat anything other than the treats I gave him on our run today. He didn't even try to eat the grass like he normally does. I was focusing on all the plants thinking some of them could be hemlock. I was surprised when I looked it up, how common it is as a weed and foxglove too but in gardens here!
    We had a really great run and he was himself when we got home but when I tried to feed him he wouldn't get off the couch and when he finally did it was like his hind legs weren't working and he was stumbling around. Dh said he looked drunk. I took a video of him shaking and falling over in his bed and sent it to his breeder who said take him in right away. They ran some tests, gave him some fluids and meds for nausea and sent him home to sleep it off. Poor guy!
    Tomorrow will be a rest day for us and unless he is completely back to his goofy self there will be no agility class either.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Gosh I hope Hobbes is okay!

Embarrassing to admit, I have accidentally poisoned myself and my husband with hemlock. It grows all over the place out back and I followed an online tutorial for making Easter eggs with leaf patterns by tying leaves to the eggs with thread before dipping them. We picked leaves based on what they looked like without thinking any of them might be dangerous. Turns out hemlock has really pretty frilly leaves, and since we were using vegetable dye which requires soaking for hours, enough of the hemlock penetrated the shells to make both of us sick for about 24 hours. Hemlock looks a lot like wild carrot, it’s scary that something so poisonous is so common and looks almost exactly like an edible plant!

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Sending all the love to Hobbes @shanaber
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @shanaber Bless his heart. He does look drunk. Wonder where in the world he got enough to have "marijuana poisoning?" I hope he is back to his normal self this morning...well, he might have a hangover. Glad it wasn't a stroke or something worse.

@rheddmobile That's interesting that you did that. Glad you were both okay too.
  • swenson19d
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Gosh I hope Hobbes is okay!

Embarrassing to admit, I have accidentally poisoned myself and my husband with hemlock. It grows all over the place out back and I followed an online tutorial for making Easter eggs with leaf patterns by tying leaves to the eggs with thread before dipping them. We picked leaves based on what they looked like without thinking any of them might be dangerous. Turns out hemlock has really pretty frilly leaves, and since we were using vegetable dye which requires soaking for hours, enough of the hemlock penetrated the shells to make both of us sick for about 24 hours. Hemlock looks a lot like wild carrot, it’s scary that something so poisonous is so common and looks almost exactly like an edible plant!

I have pulled hemlock up and thought it was a carrot and even nibbled on it. For whatever reason I thought "that could be poisonous " and spat it out. It is in an area where I throw bird seed, hot radish seeds, let herbs grow, there is a potato plant, etc. It didn't taste bad. I really thought it was a wild carrot or an odd radish.
  • swenson19d
    Options
    @shanaber You dippy dog Hobbes! I am glad he'll be alright. I guess now we know you got the good Scooby snacks, eh? haha! I hope you figure out where he was exposed.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Wow, the stories for a Monday morning! I am so glad everyone is pulling through! @shanaber Hobbes must have walked in something! I hope you can figure it out that is scary! @swenson19d That is crazy that you have so much poisonous nearby! We have the usual culprits (poison ivy and oleander). We had Lupin for awhile and it is poisonous to horses so we would spray it for years till it never came back. Generally though they did not eat bad things, usually they tasted pretty bad. Only concern mom had with the dogs was second kill of poison. We have a huge squirrel problem and the neighbors all bait.

My story for the weekend since it seems to have been a *kitten* show of one. I went over to the property on Sunday to meet the tree guy. I had bought a can of red spray paint so he could mark what I wanted gone. So, I may have mentioned mom's crazy ER Doctor neighbor. They were at each others throats over where mom's drive is (and has been long before he arrived). It escalated a few times to the point mom got temporary restraining orders. This guy is a classic narcissist with anger issues. So the tree guy and I are on the front bank of the property marking bushes and that bank is the edge of our properties. I saw him come out of the house and he hid behind some bushes (we saw him) and listened in on us. He finally came out of the bush and said "we have never met and you have never introduced yourself, but I want to talk about my needs as your neighbor". WTF! He then started talking about my Mom and how she was a terror and made his life hell. And he didn't know how "a few" people said nice things about her, that she would throw blood on his property (suspish). The dude was off the chain. I listened for a minute and then all the rage I have bottled up came out and I let loose...probably not the best way to talk to him based on his mental issues. I told him what I thought of him and that I would not be threatened or bullied. The guy is a classic gas lighter, always turning it to he was a victim. He kept saying "I just want someone to meet my needs", he said it a lot...it was creepy. He said if I don't run my building plans through him to approve, he would "defend his privacy" and plant tall trees and block my view. I finally told him that his problem is a very low priority and that I will make no decisions for 5 years and then we can talk about my easement rights and if I would be willing to release them for a substantial sum of money. I felt that was fair. I didn't tell him no. I honestly want nothing to do with the easement and if I could sell it to him and put up razor wire between us, I would. The easement gives us access to a road that runs in front of his house and were we have an old driveway that exits on the road across from his driveway. I finally told him had work to do, and walked way. DUDE LOST HIS *kitten*! Tree guy and I walked up the driveway and we met my handyman and as we walked up, PD (pscyh doc) fires his 22 rifle up in the air...over the houses. So...great. I have been avoiding him for as long as I can b/c I knew it would be ugly. I also have suspicions he may somehow been involved in my mom's death, there is just too much randomness in her death and if they told me he put a hit on her, I would not bat an eye.

So there is my drama. I came home drank 2 irish coffees and watched Zorro with Antonio Banderas and ignored the world....until I let down my hair and evidently I walked through some bushes I am severely allergic to and my sinus swelled shut and I started violently sneezing. A nettypot, nose spray and a Benadryl I finally got it under some control. My sinuses still hurt though.

I guess I will leave it at that. I need to google how to deal with violent narcissists. I also am going to call the sheriff and see who he recommends to get my gun permit. I have not mentioned it before my belief he was involved, and I am not the only one, there is just no proof. But he has the motive, the money and the connections.

• quilteryoyo
    Options
    Wow. That's just crazy, literally and figuratively @CMorning99 ! I am so sorry that you are having to deal with that. I would definitely get a restraining order and a gun. Who introduces themselves with "I want to talk about my needs as your neighbor." And then to badmouth your mom and "shoot" at you. Craziness for sure. Stay safe.
  • swenson19d
    edited January 2022
    Options
    @CMorning99 I'd get a lawyer to deal with the neighbour. Let the authorities deal with him. If he isn't happy where he lives, he can move. I don't think I'd get involved in gun play. A man who brandishes a weapon towards a woman will be dealt with more harshly than if you also participate. Guess you could make him some pot/hemlock/fox glove tea. haha! JK.

If your mother has past, why is he going on about it? Hey, rent it to a goofy bunch. Or to a company that does halfway houses hahaha!
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    @swenson19d My mom spent thousands on lawyers dealing with his crap. I think for now I need to get a camera (easier said than done since I have no power or cable in that area) on that property line...he has his up. And I am going to get my gun license. I won't carry it around with me, but like I said, I don't put it past him...the guy thinks he is too smart to get caught and he can outsmart people.

Funny you mention halfway houses. When he redid the foundation on his house (his house is on the side of a hill, he put in a basement. I know for a fact he has at least 3 unpermitted "apartments" in there that he rents to undocumented workers. If you google his address, 47 people come up as having used that address. If I sell, whoever can afford that property, would also be able to afford big lawyers LOL. Maybe I could plant poison ivy on the fence line, I never go down there. He lets is dogs run loose...they run thru it and it gets in the house? hmmmm...thoughts. I am my mothers daughter LOL.

But I really just plan to lay low and not go down there again or give him an opportunity to contact me.