Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    After 4 years of service it seems my kitchen scale has *kitten* the bed.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,965 Member
    Options
    @swenson19d I feed Tippy Grain Free. She gets A Taste Of the Wild. Does she itch? Have you tried giving her a Benadryl to see if that helps? That's what my vet said to do. I used to give her one every day. I just realized I haven't given her one in a while, since she was diagnosed with the thyroid issue and is taking those pills. She doesn't seem especially itchy, so I guess she doesn't need it right now. The vet said she was allergic to grass. Really? Not sure I believe that one. LOL Hope you get that paper done!

@Avidkeo That looks like a great place to go camping. Enjoy and look forward to hearing all about it.

• swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information @shanaber and @RunsOnEspresso. I saw the AKC reported that as much as 34% of dogs are intolerant of chicken. Dh and I ran out and got her the purina pro sensitive skin and stomach salmon.

@avidkeo The girls have gotten so big! Love the photos, wow beautiful place!
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Good morning and happy Monday!

Black cat had food allergies for awhile and the vet said the same thing about chicken and fish. She said to try more unprocessed foods like duck, lamb, rabbit. Of course black cat would not touch it.

The weekend went well, I feel so much more productive working at home than I do at work LOL. DH and I had a lovey date on Friday and we talked about ALLLLL the things. Ok, poor guy probably did not get a word in edgewise LOL Saturday I slept in till 9am! What is that about! Needless to say, seeing how jogging felt did not happen. I did clean out our linen closet and threw away a tall kitchen bag of old lotions, travel size stuff, and OTC meds.

I finally sold my rower. It sold in 3 hours of putting it up on FB. A fellow runner bought it, she was on crutches. DH and her husband consoled each other about having an injured runner in the house, quite funny. It was a Concept 2 and my buddy said I could sell it for $750, but I settled for $340, that is what I saw on FB...but on FB you can't see the "sold" ones, so maybe it was all the crappy ones left over. Black cat had chemo and we finally sold that d@mn birdcage that I have probably spent $100 on gas being stood up on.

Sunday DH and I got in our first "tiff" (it was more me rolling my eyes) about the house. Well it was about his man cave. We agreed to drop the old draftsman, it has been 9 days since I messaged and emailed him. My neighbor who is friends with our builder said that he just walked away from plans that were 99% done and just offered to "give them what he had". We printed off everything he gave us, not much (after we went to go buy a new printer, ours was 8 years old and evidently support didn't even recognize the model). We were talking about his man cave and he wants it in the front arena, he wants it partially subterranean and with a retractable roof. Then came the question of when does he want it, as part of the house build? or after? His budget? Was he aware where he wants it is in between 2 septic tanks? I was met with "I don't knows". I told him I am not holding up the draftsman to wait on him and I am going to ask to meet in the next 2 weeks. DH played video games...no planning.

Spent sometime wrapping up EOM finances for the business. Not too bad, but lots of expenses this month. All in all I put about 28% of my gross income into the bank. I figure on months I don't have high expenses (tax software, shipping supplies in bulk) I should bring home about 45%.

Got on scale and there was either minimal weekend bloat or Iost something. DH is making philly cheesesteaks tonight, need to manage that. Found some "before" pictures of me in Jan 2014, I weighed I think 145 :neutral:

• swenson19d
    Options
    @Cmorning99 Maybe you dh would settle for a Man Tree house hahaha! Nah, but really why not something with a loft? Between septic tanks sounds like a potential problem if and when one or both need dug up. No Idea what the life of those things are, it may be someone else's problem, eh? We have septic and all I know is to make sure it is sucked out every 5 years.

I've been on a cheesesteak kick too. We can't get good ones here, so I've just been making them. Quite good I must say.

With dh working for himself, we are toying with paying off the house with 401K money... I know it's not a great move, the market is terrible, and it would decrease our monthly obligation, decreasing financial stress on dh to "hurry up and make money". He's already talking about going back to where he left. But I say ride it out a while longer. He's got so much invested already.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @CMorning99 It does sound like you were productive over the weekend. I hope your DH gets his act together, or doesn't get mad when you ignore him and press on.

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Morning all.

First I went back a few pages and skimmed.
    @CMorning99 omg I'm sorry about your mum and the crazy neighbour. Sounds like you are having a fun and frustrating time with your DH. He wants to build an observatory, I kinda love it haha.

@runs_on_espresso I've been listening to you podcast - congratulations on the marathon!! I'm now listening to stuff from the beginning of 2021 and it seems surreal lol.

@swenson19 love the pica of Kevin! How's the rest of the brood?

@quilteryoyo I saw your xrays in the other thread, nice scoliosis! Do you get issues from is or was it incidental?

I know I'm missing people.

A "brief" update. DH and I are doing well. We continue to communicate and generally actually be for eachother. It's been 6 months since our speed bump as we put it and we've neve been closer. It's been great.

Works going well. I really feel more confident in my role as tutor. I've been doing it for 2 years now and have settled. No longer feel like a imposter lol. Up for a raise in April! My student ended up failing and my other 2 passed. The student who failed has gone to a different practice in a different city to resit his 3rd year. I do wish him all the best and he's been in touch from time to time.

Girls are doing great. They've been loving their summer holidays. Camping is a new family thing, we got a bigger tent at the end of last year and so far have done 3 trips. They are learning that being bored is not a bad thing haha. Jessica will be 8 in April and Katie will be 6 in June.

Running. Well basically I lost the passion. I was still running mostly for exercise and habit but had no rudder. I mean that was basically my year last year. I managed a run streak in January and won my entry into a HM in June back! It was an entry from last year that got postponed due to covid. I am trying to lose weight and started January with a bang. Did well. Then last week fell off the wagon. Its OK. I'm going to keep going. I have a goal of 10kg (22lb) loss in 2022. Basically I want to get to my goal of 65kg by the time I'm 40. I've been there once, 2 years ago and I like how that felt and how I looked.

Oh and DH and I have decided we are going to build a new house. It's a long project, probably about 5 years away. Exciting though and we. Have lots of conversations about what we want it to look like etc. So that's a fun time ahead.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @Avidkeo Sounds like you are doing great. I'm glad to hear the you and DH are getting along so well now. Long story about my back, but the cliff notes is that I was having issues in Oct. Went to a chiropractor for a couple of months. He had me doing exercises and I'd be better, then worse. He didn't do an x-ray and didn't find the scoliosis. In Dec I had another episode, so went to an ortho and got the x-ray. I didn't like that ortho - all gloom and doom and had me almost in tears in his office. So, I made an appointment for a second opinion, which is tomorrow morning. We'll see what he says and go from there.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    @Avidkeo Sounds like you are doing great. I'm glad to hear the you and DH are getting along so well now. Long story about my back, but the cliff notes is that I was having issues in Oct. Went to a chiropractor for a couple of months. He had me doing exercises and I'd be better, then worse. He didn't do an x-ray and didn't find the scoliosis. In Dec I had another episode, so went to an ortho and got the x-ray. I didn't like that ortho - all gloom and doom and had me almost in tears in his office. So, I made an appointment for a second opinion, which is tomorrow morning. We'll see what he says and go from there.

Good luck for tomorrow. Realistically you've actually had it your whole life and it's only become an issue now. I'd say I'm surprised the chiro didn't pick up on it, but I don't have a very high opinion of chiros.

That said, sux the ortho had you in tears and doom and gloom. I hope tomorrow goes better for you.
  • CMorning99
    Options
    Good morning!

@Avidkeo Thanks for the comments :smile: I have also lost my passion for running it seems. It feels weird, I look back at my races and how much fun I had, but no desire to run. It happens. I want to lose the same amount of weight as you this year! Here's to making better food choices! DH and I also had a similar experience. He actually moved out and got his only place for a few months. But we worked it out and are better than ever!

Felt productive yesterday (after work). During work I slogged through those checklists and started delegating out some tasks. I really hate the "crisis action team" program. I did it for years in Hawaii under a brutal commander and it I still feel a sense of dread and rage when I have to deal with that program. It is not hard, just tedious and frustrating. DH and I went for a 2.5 mile walk in the afternoon. It was 60 but the air was so dry and bone chilling cold! He tried to make the philly cheesesteaks in the crockpot, but when we got home the meat had completely dissolved, it was tasty mush LOL. I guess the meat was too thin and cooked too long. I was able to get a bit of inventory done, thankfully no more missing items, but still missing 2 from previous bins. I have 15 more bins to go.

DH and I then broke out our new white board (28"x36") and started writing lists. We also started looking at what tax documents we have. I am the one missing most of them, well, not missing but lazy to print them off. We should be ready to do them in March. I got a "final bill" from the gas company <eyeroll>. Thankfully they are 24hrs. They told me when they noticed that the meter was not connected they closed the account, company policy. Even though I told them NOT TO TAKE IT! I told them I wanted it back because I was putting another mobile home there. They will not hook up until the building is in place...phrump grump. The lady was pretty snarky when I explained I did NOT want to close the account...she said "let me put it another way..." No let ME put another way, I did not ask for the service to be turned off. They won and I have to call 3 weeks out to schedule hook-up service.

Put in a request for a quote to move the mobile home, lets see if they even call me back. If they don't, I feel like I am running out of options. I secretly just keep hoping she will just move out, not likely, but a hope.

Submitted updated survey structures for survey company with everything I removed.

I need to figure out how to order a copy of the title. I had no idea that a title and a deed were 2 separate things. I also did not know it is about $700 to get a copy.

I put DH on the task of getting everything ready for the draftsman. We researched him last night, 28 years in business and specializes in "biotecture"...huh. DH may get his subterranean observatory after all LOL We are going to call him at lunch and see what his schedule looks like.

So today I don't have a lot of tasks. Safety training take 2. Call draftsman. Order title.

Gotta wrap up EOM finances for business. Start in on that tax course I bought. Evening walk. Dinner is leftovers.

Have a great day!

• Avidkeo
    Options
    @CMorning99 I'm sad to hear you and your DH had a speed bump as well, I never wish it on anyone. I'm equally glad you found eachother again! It sounds like you have been through a really challenging and crazy few months. No wonder you have lost your passion for running.

I think mine is creeping back. Last night I started a garmin coach plan for my HM in June. I'm doing it with Coach Amy as she seems to be well rounded and encourages cross training. She's got me starting hard with a 13k run scheduled for this weekend! Haven't run that far in ages.

I'm working in ED today (A and E? Emergency department) with one of my 3rd year students. Should be a good day. Food is all planned. I have a fulling salami salad for lunch, I've got some protein powder in a shaker for morning snack and yoghurt. I'm trying to up my protein a lot but it's hard! Lol
  • swenson19d
    Options
    @Avidkeo ER to most Americans A&E to the brits. ED to health care workers in US 😏. Hope for a good day!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    Last couple of days I have been over but not worried because I had a run of days where I was under quite a bit. Not on purpose, just wasn't as hungry. I am trying to go by a mix of hunger cues and calories.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @CMorning99 Sounds like you were very productive. Sorry about the Philly Cheesesteaks. I feel you in trying to deal with companies that just don't seem to care and won't listen to customers. I hope the new draftsman works out. I'm glad your and your DH worked things out too.

@Avidkeo So glad that you are getting your running mojo back.

Sounds like you are doing great @RunsOnEspresso . I'm horrible about eating when I am NOT at all hungry. I realize it, but eat anyway. I really should do better at that.

I did a driveway session after getting home from the ortho this afternoon. It was 59°F and sunny, so couldn't stay inside. Today would have been my dad's 90th birthday, so in honor of him, I ran 2.1 miles and walked 1.1 mile for a total of 3.2 miles.....2/1/32 - his date of birth. Maybe the fact that I ran gives you a hint as to what the ortho said. This guy was the total opposite of the one I saw in Dec. He said, "So you have a slight curve in your spine..." and continued to say that he saw nothing that would prevent me from running and didn't expect that it would get much worse over time. He said to run, walk, and play tennis as I wanted....he does all three too and has about the same amount of scoliosis, apparently. He said he runs 12-15 miles a week. Anyway, he said I was one of the few people who was "doing it right," and that I should continue doing what I am doing. He said the worst thing I could do for my back would be to reduce my activity level and gain weight. I asked about any particular exercises to do and he said no. He did say that he felt crunches and sit ups were not good for your back. So, I may continue to do some of the exercises/stretches I have been doing, but not worry about getting them in every day. I feel that they have helped, since I haven't had a bad episode in a month. I was so shocked with his positive diagnosis that I forgot to ask some questions I should have - like What should I do if it (the catches and pain) happens again? Why do you think it happened to begin with? Should I use heat or cold? I may call tomorrow and ask those questions.

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    @CMorning99 - I am not surprised at your interaction with the gas company. They had to turn the gas off to fumigate Hilde's house and when we tried to get them to come out to turn it back on for the new owner they refused. The sale wasn't finalized and all they said was the new owner will have to call and start service once it has closed. So if it hadn't gone through the house would have been without gas/heat or working hot water which is a no no for a home sale. You have to have all the utilities on and be able to show working order. The new owner then struggled with them showing up to turn everything on when no one was there.
    From our experience with titles the expense comes from them doing the search to make sure it is free and clear with no liens against the property. $700 seems like a lot though, but I guess it depends on how much time it requires.
    Sorry about the Philly Cheesesteaks. I am not a fan but I know many people love them, including my dh.
    Hope all goes well with the new draftsman!
    @Avidkeo - hope your day in ED went well today! Hope you like the new coach and your running passion comes back. Mine seems to come and go a bit. Usually when I don't run for a while I start to get antsy about running again.
    @RunsOnEspresso - I find when I don't monitor what I eat I don't eat enough. I just don't get hungry and end up with 1000 cals for the day and then hungry at midnight.
    @quilteryoyo - I was so excited to read about your new ortho doc! So happy it was a much better positive experience. I would definitely call back and ask your questions. They may have a way to send them by email even or you could leave a message and have him call you back.

Hobbes and I had a great agility class last night. It was a pretty technical course but also had some areas of just fast running. It is always fun to see what the pups can do and how much fun they have when they can just run and fly over jumps. I wish I would have had a friend video us, it was just so great. After running 6 miles earlier in the day though we were both exhausted. He curled up on top of me this afternoon even and we took a nap!
    I think I mentioned back in November that we had finally found a bedroom set we liked and ordered it. We have had a few different delivery dates, the last one was yesterday. They didn't show up and no one contacted us. I had texted the sales person last week and she never got back to us. So I texted her this morning and told her I wasn't particularly angry about the delays other than living out of cardboard boxes, but I didn't appreciate the lack of status. Well... the latest now is (maybe) March! Yikes!

Food has been pretty good. I made some TJs Chinese for dinner. I have been reading and getting excited about our trip to Zion on Sunday. Hoping there isn't a ton of snow and that the roads are all clear.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    @quilteryoyo yay for a good doc assessment. Honestly a LOT of people have a mild scoliosis and don't even know it. Shows often as an incidental on imaging. Hope you get the answers to your questions. Generally if I start getting pain of any kind in my back its because I'm not stretching enough and need to do more yoga lol.

@runs_on_espresso I definitely have the opposite problem, eat too much if I don't track lol. Glad you seem to be finding a balance.

@swenson19 lol thanks. So many words for the same thing. You guys know what I mean by ED lol. And it was a good relaxing morning that got busier haha. Student did well and WR had some excellent one on one time. She's got a lot to learn but is getting there.

@shanaber sounds like you and Hobbes had a great day. Naps with pets is the best! Annoying about the bedroom set!
  • quilteryoyo
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Thanks @shanaber . I'm working until 3, so will have to see what I can do afterwards about getting in touch with the ortho. It may be tomorrow before I get a chance to call. I'm glad you had such a good day and that you and Hobbes both enjoyed agility class so much. I could feel the excitement in your post. Enjoy your trip to Zion. I hope the bedroom set comes sooner than they are saying now. That is so annoying that they wouldn't get back to you.

Thanks @Avidkeo. I'm like you and tend to eat way too much if I don't track it. Just thinking about it makes me eat less.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    I can go both ways. I will overeat when bored or need a dopamine hit. And I will forget to eat when I'm in the zone. This is definitely related to adhd. So tracking and using hinger cues seems to be sticking a good balance right now.

@shanaber Like I totally understand the supply chain issues but it's the not letting people know. That's just bad customer service. And enjoy Zion! It's gorgeous!
  • CMorning99
    Options
    Good morning!

Another day and another dollar...and I am already whooped.

Yesterday wrapped up ok. Was moderately productive at work (got a few things done). I did end up sending an email to leadership saying I am task saturated and requested they drop 4-5 programs off my list. We will see what happens. If they don't, I will triage and if it doesn't get done, well.. it doesn't get done.

DH and I talked to the draftsman. Complete 180 from the last guy. Seems very knowledgable....to the point I was in near tears from the list of things we had to do. Plumbing engineer for the septic, electrical engineer to certify the panel, soil engineer to determine foundation. FML. He said if it goes mostly smoothly it will take 6 months to get through the county. We are still waiting on his price, I said $15K, DH says $20K. But he say he puts the whole package together. Today I need to get every thing put in an email for him and he will be coming out to look at the site in 2 weeks.

No word from mobile home movers. I submitted an online request for a bid. Might have to call them.

DH's credit card was used last night in San Jose, a hefty $230 dinner at the Yardhouse. The bank caught it and called him right away. They said that the restaurant actually called them b/c they thought the card looked suspicious and the magnetic strip did not work (it was a blank). I don't know how they knew it was our bank though. Maybe when they ran it. We didn't have to do the fraud claim since I guess they ran it but didn't complete the charge. I doubt the restaurant did anything beyond that though.

I am so tired today. Grey cat had a nightmare and kicked the cr@p out of me. I went to wake him up and he would not wake up. Not sure if he is just being a deeper sleeper or if it is part of his heart issues. It takes him a solid minute to acknowledge me. Then sometime in the wee hours of the morning he went on a puking spree for 20 min. It is hard for me to fall back asleep. I wonder what it is like to sleep through the night LOL

Today I am dragging. I need to redo our house plan notes since we have been scribbling. There is a launch at lunch we are going to watch. Need to schedule an appt for black cat for his 6 mo bloodwork and ultrasound...I still also need to see if the closest oncology dept is taking patients yet. And I reckon I will keep cracking at my programs at work.

Walk planned this evening. My turn to make dinner...drat.
  • swenson19d
    Options
    Nothing much new here.

Bear-bear update.
    He has a vet visit tomorrow, depending on the weather. We may be in for a wintery mix. I thought perhaps a coyote got him down but it looks more like a contusion, he may have been clipped by a car. His hip is still swollen but he is feeling better and eating all the shrimps and playing. That cat is down to 3 lives left which will be spent in the house or supervised outside as much as possible. I probably need to put a GPS on him or an alarm when he leaves the yard.

Furniture itch
    The puppies have really tattered up the couch with their claws and well, just being puppies, digging at stuff that falls between cushions. Kevin found a tattered bit and helped it along. I used embroidery thread to "repair" it. It wasn't the most expensive sectional either. The cats had already done a fair amount of damage, and it pulled in an area where I sit. Just from my butt.
    I sooooo waaaant neeeewwww furniturrrre. I mentioned to DH about making the dining area a sitting room. He was ok with it. Really not the time to get anything new, least until DH has a stable income. He see's 3 people today, hooray! I am sure, in no time, he'll have more than he wants. So... microfibre is a good choice for pets, eh?

Food and hunger
    I've found that having the oculus games to play has helped me be more active and keeps me from eating out of boredom. But I still get that hormonal desire to eat everything even without an actual period. I blame DD's pheromones.

It's cold today. I suppose I'll see if there is stuff to make a chicken soups of sorts.