Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo Yay! sounds like you had a good visit with the cardiologist. You do want to get that diastolic down. It can lead to an enlarged heart... and congestive heart failure. Hope the diuretic is tolerable.

Kevin
    ...plays the piano. I took him, er he invited himself to lessons yesterday. I can't get out of the house without him. So he came with me. He did the excited piddle with the high female voice, oops. He sang along when we were playing G major scales. He got interested in the piano and so I showed him the notes. Boy that head cocked one way then the other... he was fascinated. He played 3-4 notes with his nosey nose. Shame we did get it in video. he's a nut.

School
    I think this summer I am going to get back into nursing stuff. It'll be a good opportunity to gauge my physical abilities and I think understanding why I freeze up at times, will help me overcome it. Dh says I can train myself out of it; it's just a pattern. uh huh...So I got the ball rolling on that. I'd like to do the psychology masters and then PhD, just cuz I can take Kevin with me and put a piano in my office for him to entertain the clients. LOL!
    Also, I have a classmate who, I thought was potential friend material but... yesterday he asked me what elective I'm taking this summer... stalk much? He's been professional and works with ASD adults at OU, so I might just be a familiar topic. But, eh... I don't like people that much. Especially guys, they always are Weiner heads.
    Yay! for direction.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!

@shanaber, I am not deployable right now. And by the time I am, I should have an approved retirement date. I would love to deploy though and forget all my problems at home though LOL.

Yesterday was a long day. Lots of admin stuff at work and then I left to go see the tax lady. I did google what you have to do to prep peoples taxes and there is a database, but it was huge and her name did not come up in the search. I dropped the paperwork off at her work, she said she got bored and got a job as a tow truck dispatcher, and it was in such a sketch part of town. She is also a slightly heavy set 50 something woman wearing a tube top and tattooed knuckles. She did ask some intelligent questions like rolling over IRAs and such. So, here we go...I hope my sus decisions offer some amusement LOL

My fav thrift store was on the way home and it was 25% off for military. I rarely walk out of there with nothing. I found 19 items and in there was a Brunello skirt...No idea why it caught my eye, it is a plain khaki long skirt...I checked it and it retailed for $2,000!!! I should be able to sell it for somewhere between $200-300. I was watching my fav reseller youtubers who do this full time and I think where I am not meeting the mark is volume. They all list ~100 items a week...I am happy to get that in a month LOL. I have the stuff, but darn if it isn't time consuming.

Have a few things to do this weekend, I need to take the dump trailer to the dump. I hate doing that. Probably need to do it first thing sat morning to beat the rush. Maybe charge my electronics LOL

Weight is stalled again. I thought I was moving, then it stopped. I think I am with you @avidkeo I need more fiber in my diet. DH and I barely eat any veg and never fruit. Last night he made a really good chicken corn chowder with hot rolls. I only had 1 serving (and maybe 3 rolls) but we went a bit overboard on the snacks the last costco trip.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo yay for cardio visit. Hope wearing the monitor gets you something, and yikes that's a high diastolic... My systolic is usually around 105 so that's scary.

@CMorning99 you have some amazing thrift shops if you can pick up a $2000 skirt! Crazy stuff.

DD is fine. I wonder if they was just way tired. She had been up really late the night before and early that morning. She's at my mums atm.

Covid rant so ill spoiler if you don't want to hear.
    as you know NZ has been incredibly lucky, basically no covid and very few restrictions till the last 6 months, and covid has got in about January (thanks Omicron). We recently had a large protest in the capital about the restrictions, it was a mimic of the Canadian one. Mostly anti vaxxers and anti makers. There were also a lot of other protesters there too, anti government, White supremacy that sort of BS. Well on Wednesday the police finally shut down the protest. Covid spread rampant. So they have all come home now (only a 5hr drive away) and decided to come to ED with their headaches and symptoms.

I just can't deal with the disconnect. These idiots refuse a vaccine but want special treatment in ED and get rialed up when we say there is nothing we can do to help them. We are starting to get flooded with them. It's disheartening to look at the ED list and ead all the positives. It actually makes me angry. Their "right to freedom" has a direct impact on how I do my job but they don't care. OK rant over.

I'm also getting really annoyed at my weight. Been on track for 2 weeks now, and the last 10 days I've just sat or gained then lost the same half kg. I've never experienced this type of stagnation before. Had it for a few days but not nearly 2 weeks! I'm holding firm to my motto. Because it can't stay like this much longer. But yeah it's starting to get to me.

Calf, good after yesterdays run and a bit tight and annoying at work. So was supposed to do a 16k run, skipping that. Mountain climb hopefully in a week and im not messing with that. Rest day instead.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,970 Member
    Options
    Thanks @swenson19d . I took the diuretic this morning for the first time and don't really feel like it has kicked in yet. Maybe it takes a day or too to get settled into my system. I just took my BP and it's 132/97. Sigh. This morning it was 110/75. At least it isn't staying high all day. Kevin playing the piano is so funny and probably the cutest thing. I love it when I talk to Tippy about something and she tilts her head, trying to figure it out. Glad you have direction for the future.

@CMorning99 Sounds like you were productive at least. I don't think I could do the reselling. I'm tend to procrastinate too much for that. Great find on the skirt! Hope you have a great weekend as well.

Thanks @Avidkeo . I'm glad your DD is fine. Sorry about your weight. I know how hard it is to stick with it when you are stuck. I hope your weight drops for you soon. Don't give up! I get your frustration with the anti-vaxers and anti-maskers. I hope your system doesn't get overwhelmed and you stay well. A rest day for your calf is probably a good idea. I hope it behaves for your mountain climb.

I got my run in this morning before heading into work at 11:30. I walked 1.0 mile for warm up and cool down, total, and then ran 1.8 miles. That way I traversed a total of 2.8 miles as my way of remembering my anniversary. Had John lived, it would have been our 28th. He's been gone for almost 16 years and I still miss him.

Food has been pretty good today. I should wind up under my goal and low salt. So, we'll see what the scale says in the morning.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    @swenson19d - I would love to see Kevin play the piano! I wonder what it sounds like to them. I know many pups like music and find some of it soothing. I hope he gets over the excited pee... Hobbes still does it sometimes at 9.5!
    I hope the nursing courses work out for you. I would find it all very interesting even if I never intended to work in the field. I do think you would make a great counselor and I would definitely come to see you and um... Kevin 😊
    Do you think maybe your classmate was just looking to take a class with someone he knew already and wasn't really being weird?

@CMorning99 - I guess maybe I need to check out the thrift stores... I haven't been in one in recent memory and had no idea they have things like that. But then really I don't need anything...

@Avidkeo - so glad the your dd7 is feeling better! I know I would be so worried if I had littles at home too. I also totally get your frustration. It makes me crazy here too... they end up in the hospital possibly dining and taking resources away from others and then plead please take the vaccine but their families still don't. My dd told me the other day that she is just so over all of it and is tempted at times to yell at people, especially when she gets a very sick kid who couldn't be vaccinated with parents who decided not to get vaccinated.
    Hang in there with your motto and plan. Your weight will come down. Sometimes it just takes a bit longer!

Happy anniversary @quilteryoyo even bittersweet and missing him it is good to acknowledge the milestone. I am sure he would have been so proud of your running and taking care of your health. Also you are doing great getting back into your running routine!

Life got in the way today - no run was done. But I got so much work done preparing paperwork for the Trust and the Trust taxes. I will be so happy when it is all finished. The letters have gone out to all the beneficiaries and now we wait for them to sign the forms and send them back. Everyone has to sign and return before we can dispense any of the money. The biggest concern is with the (17) charitable organizations. If they want too they can contest it and force us to go to court which would drag it all out for at least a year or more because the courts are so backed up.

We went out for tacos for dinner to a place we heard about on a news program recently that is literally down the street from us. Not sure how we didn't know about it. I had chicken tacos and hubby had filet mignon tacos. They were literally grilling the meat on outdoor grills behind the restaurant and it smelled so good my stomach started growling immediately. It did not disappoint! They are street tacos so nothing really other than the meat (so much meat!) and the small tortillas. They include a grilled Anaheim pepper with each order too and we got a side of rice and beans to share. Dh likes the rice and I like the beans but he ended up spilling the container of beans. I didn't even use the salsa I got from the salsa bar, just added a bit of cilantro and some avocado. YUM!

It poured rain this evening too. Hoping it will be cool still tomorrow so I can get out for a walk with a bit of running if the arm allows.
  • quilteryoyo
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Thanks @shanaber . I hope you get the letters back soon. I think it is awful if a charitable organization isn't satisfied with what they get and contest it. Why would they do that? It's a charity. Be happy with anything you get! Maybe she should have put in her will if anyone contests it, they don't get a cent. I was looking through some old wills that I have from my family a couple of weeks ago and that was in my great grandfather's will. Those tacos sound delicious. Glad you found a place so close by that you like.

My weight was down this week. I knew it would be because I've not had a lot of "bad" food and there was the issue of water weight I knew I was carrying. I still don't think the diuretic has kicked in. At least I don't feel like I have peed anymore than I normally do.....and, my BP was high this morning. It's usually good early in the day. I am still 5 pounds over my goal weight and 10 pounds over my dream maintenance weight. I'll get there. Just have to watch what I put in my mouth.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    4df35ehmz19z.jpg

I made a thing.

I've been trying to eat only my prepped meals but it's been warming up so I've started cycling to work again. Which means an hour of light cardio every day... jeez the hunger. I know from experience that 1) it's not going to last forever and 2) weight loss is pretty much inevitable with the extra activity once I get used to it, but it's messing with my brain.
  • swenson19d
    edited March 2022
    Options
    @shanaber I do think you would make a great counselor and I would definitely come to see you and um... Kevin 😊
    Do you think maybe your classmate was just looking to take a class with someone he knew already and wasn't really being weird?

Waking up this AM with marked hip pain leads me to rethink the nursing choice. I just hate to not finish it with only a year to go and seeing the salary's d/t covid. It's hard not to want to make 100,000 + in 13 weeks. I mean, jeez I could work 1/4 of the year or 1/2... but without Kevin. Thanks for the counsellor vote. I'd want to go on to a PhD as a clinical psychologist. Have to work the full year to make the rumoured nursing wages. but, with Kevin. IDK have doc in May and we'll see if I can stand to be on my feet more than 2-3 hours a day, hoping there is another surgical fix. Think hip labrum tear. Ive been trying to walk the yard with the dogs, but oof. the day after pain is questioning my dedication.

I asked DH about the classmate. He said it's up to me, but to remember the psychology profession is full of nuts.

The foundation guy messaged dd and right off the bat he asked for nudes. DD ghosted him. I offered to mama shame him but she said leaving him on "read" was a blow to the ego. What a "hotdog". or can I just Frankly say Dick?
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    @swenson19 omg what a dick! Why do guys ththat is OK??? Sorry the hip is giving you grief still. So frustrating.

@noblsheep love the boards. I even recognise one medal!

@quilteryoyo you will get there!

Work last night was quiet. It was strange but kinda nice. Started watching the queen's gambit again. Weight still plateaued this morning, at least it didn't go up again I guess. Going for a run. Not sure how far. Calf feels fine. Might try for 10k depending when I get out of bed. Last night of shift tonight. Still have 4 more days of work (7 in a row from Friday night) but then I get a 4 day weekend!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @noblsheep Love your medal boards. Cycling to work is a great way to add exercise to your days.

@swenson19d Sorry you are in pain with your hip again. I hope you can figure out that fine line between doing too much and not doing enough. Also sorry the foundation guy is such a turd. Men?!

Hang in there @Avidkeo . I'm sure the weight will go down soon. I hope your run was/is pain free.

I went out at around 11 this morning for a run. It was 70°F and sunny, so another beautiful day. But, it was another scrappy run. I had intended to run for 45 minutes, but quit at 35:19 minutes and 2.75 miles. My legs felt fine. My HR was good - high was 155. But I felt like I wasn't getting enough oxygen. I was huffing and puffing, like I had been sprinting. Really weird.

After running, mom and I went over to my used to be pasture field and rolled up the electric fence wire. I am hoping to be able to have someone mow it and bale it for hay. That way I can keep it listed as agricultural and get a tax break. But, it is overgrown in sage grass at the moment. The local volunteer fire department is going to come look at it Monday and hopefully burn it off for me. That helps the good grass grow and stunts the sage grass. When I was young, we used to burn it every other year or so. It hasn't been done in a long time.

I was doing good with food today until I had a craving for hot dogs and chili. So, that's what I had for dinner. I'm still under calorie wise, but over a bit in sodium.
  • swenson19d
    Options
    I asked Dh to get out with me today and just look at furniture options and replacement for the shrubs that were sacrificed by the foundation work.
    He bought new furniture and 3 replacements. One is a giant green arborvitae 😍, I wanted 30 of them for my fence line. okay I wanted 130 of them. The others are similar, and I think they are both arborvitae's but smaller. One is 8x4 feet max the other is that tall skinny one, 15x2. The furniture is microfibre that looks like leather. DH doubted the actual leather would stand up to animals, even though the sales woman assured us it would. Which is fine. The cats can destroy leather anyway, not that they are on it anymore. They have their own area, the dining room. I'd like to move bits of the sectional there and put the table in the breakfast area, if it'll fit. Mid terms this week, then break! Bob is awaiting a new part so, I am ready to rearrange, clean, and replace again. Maybe fix up the dining area for the cats.

@rheddmobile How are the racoons? Kevin saw a cow for the first time on Thursday. He barked and growled from the passenger seat. I had to stop to adjust the seat for his big boofn bootie. I think all hes seen are cats and birds. Oh Bear had a snake this evening and he was trying to figure that out. I relocated the snake.

The dogs have cow hooves. The reviews said they stunk. But when I got them they didn't. I thought folks were just being pansies. Nope. Hot, stagnant sewage after they've been chewing on them a while. We threw away 2 today and they brought in another. so gross. I am donating the 4-5 they have unopened to the shelter or dog park or anywhere miles from here.

Last vet visit Kevin was 84.5 pounds and Sandy 80.0 at 7 months and 1 week.

@quilteryoyo I love chili dogs. We got on a kick now and then, but wow those canned chili calories add up. Lately we are eating a lot of beans with kielbasa and beef, and corn bread. mmm.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @swenson19d I had to look up the plant you bought. Those are great for privacy "fences." Yeah for new furniture too. Tippy has cow bones all the time, and hooves. But, they are from the neighbor's dead cows that he doesn't bury deep enough to not be dug up by wild animals and they stay outside so I don't smell them. That is one thing that she is food aggressive over though, which I don't like. But, I know it is just easier to let her have them and not try to take them away unless I'm ready and willing to make the effort to actually get them from her. Trying and then letting her win just makes it worse.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Morning all.

Run yesterday was good. Was toying with 16k but about half an hour into my run I realised it was after 10am, in summer in NZ and I didn't put sunscreen on... Given I'm so white I get moonburn, I decided to cut the run short at around 10.5k. That realisation took me off road for a bit where there was shade lol. Calf is fine now. A bit tight but both legs are because I'm lazy and don't stretch and roll properly lol.

Today is a "tired" run. 8k. Yep I'm tired lol. And it's day 4 of 7 in a row at work for me. Admin today so I get to relax a bit.

Weight dropped a little over night... I'm not getting my hopes up yet but maybe? Persevering.

@swenson19 I love hearing about the shenanigans with the puppies!

Hows everyone else today?
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @Avidkeo I'm so glad that your calf is better. Probably a good idea to cut the run short and get to the shade. You did great to get in a "tired" 8K. I'm glad you get to relax at work tonight. AND, YEAH on the weight drop. Any little bit is a win.

I'm doing okay. I'm tired too. I took my Sunday walk today in the neighbor's field. There are some trees blooming - I think Bradford Pear. It's way early for that and some even have leaves. I fear this weekends predicted 16 degrees is going to get some of the things that have been fooled into thinking spring is here. (It's 76 right now and I have my windows open.) I also saw a couple of bluebirds and a bunch of robins.
    pfwkflxlstzb.jpg
    Blue bird up in the tree.

ockewmw300v9.jpg
    One of the trees in bloom.

40byzk379mrb.jpg
    The blooms are so pretty. The bees were working away, but I was never able to capture one.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    @Avidkeo I'm so glad that your calf is better. Probably a good idea to cut the run short and get to the shade. You did great to get in a "tired" 8K. I'm glad you get to relax at work tonight. AND, YEAH on the weight drop. Any little bit is a win.

I'm doing okay. I'm tired too. I took my Sunday walk today in the neighbor's field. There are some trees blooming - I think Bradford Pear. It's way early for that and some even have leaves. I fear this weekends predicted 16 degrees is going to get some of the things that have been fooled into thinking spring is here. (It's 76 right now and I have my windows open.) I also saw a couple of bluebirds and a bunch of robins.
    pfwkflxlstzb.jpg
    Blue bird up in the tree.

ockewmw300v9.jpg
    One of the trees in bloom.

40byzk379mrb.jpg
    The blooms are so pretty. The bees were working away, but I was never able to capture one.

Beautiful pics!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Thanks @Avidkeo.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Wow, so many updates from the weekend!

@avidkeo and @quilteryoyo congrats on the nice runs! That sounds so lovely.

@Shanaber one step closer to being done with the trust!

@swenson19d I applaud you on your diligence to go to school. I finished my Masters probably 10 years ago and I am still over it LOL A lot of my friends are retiring and just starting and I cringe when they talk about homework. DH mentioned I could go back when I retire. I have my GI Bill which will pay all my tuition and give me a $2000 a month housing allowance. Catch is you have to go full time. Meh. I might go look at the local community college page and see what they offer...basket weaving sounds about my speed. I have 10? years to use it.

So Friday...holy snicker doodles Friday. The tax lady called me (I called mom's friends and asked what her quals were, yeah other than working as an accountant (not a cpa) for years and years...nada). She said we owed $10K in federal and $876 in state. Que cussing. I was SURE she was wrong. DH and I went through line by line from 2020 to 2021 to see why it jumped so much. She was right. Even though I had 10% tax withheld on payable accounts from Mom, it was not enough. We are in the 24% tax bracket and there was $43K extra this year...so about$10k. The state we are figuring out, I am 100% sure she is wrong on that...as non residents, we should not have to pay and we should get back the money paid to the state before HR updated his records. I did what any rational person would do...went out and bought a lottery ticket :smiley:

Saturday the winds were crazy! We went up to the ranch to drive the truck around and check on the status of the tree guy...and pay him ($4,500)...que second lottery ticket. The mice are getting into the travel trailer, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how. I bought some steel wool and repellant and we will see if that works. Last year they nibbled on the brake lines. I also had to order a new dome skylight cover ($100)...sad face.

I had ordered a 100lb box of used men's clothing and DH loves it when those come in, he came away with 3 new shirts. I spent a good amount of time on reselling, my backlog is crazy. Sales were pretty good though.

Sunday was windy again. Grey cat had a rough weekend, vomiting and not eating. I have him a bath and that seemed to wipe him out for 12 hours. Got some nausea meds in him finally and he has perked up again.

Busy week at work. We have a bunch of inspections and there was a hotwash on the recall and of course they blamed me for their failures (eyeroll).

Tracking calories again, bought some Sz 30 high waist jeans...barely got them over my hips and about 4 inch gap between the buttons. Sigh.

• Avidkeo
    Options
    Weight back up again today. That's 2 weeks now grrrr.

I'm am moving my mindset to seeing other changes. My uniform fits better for example. Maybe I'm recomping? I've increased my protein but haven't don't any strength training in a while.

OK obsessed and annoyed. It will drop. One day. Lol.

I'm working in ED again today. Working with a student to see how they are going so that will be good. Then on call tonight. Can't wait for the weekend!
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    @CMorning99 what a frustrating weekend, and to find all those tax bills, I get why you got a lotto ticket!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @swenson19d - We have leather furniture in our family room and it has held up great, even to Hobbes nails. I don't know how it would do with cats though. Hope you like the new furniture and the shrubs will be great. They use them here for privacy and for wind protection.

@avidkeo - I am not sure how often you regularly weigh in but maybe only doing it once a week could take some of the pressure off of yourself? I think it is pretty typical for it to fluctuate as much as 1-2 lbs day to day for so many different reasons and it is the trend direction overall you want to keep sight of.
    Hope your night on call was quiet!

@quilteryoyo - hope the return of the freezing temps doesn't kill all the new plant growth! The pictures are awesome!

@cmorning99 - is this the first tax filing since your mom passed? I didn't think any monies left to a beneficiary were taxable either federally or for the state but maybe that is only if they were in a trust. For sure the trust has to pay both. We have set aside money from Hilde's estate to pay her personal taxes as well as the taxes on the trust for the accrued value in the accounts.
    It is amazing the tiny spaces mice can squeeze into. I hope they aren't doing too much damage.
    Good luck with the lotto tickets!

We are having winds again today - 25 -30mph again! I am still hoping they will die down and I will feel like taking Hobbes out for at least a little walk, if not a run.
    I don't know how people deal with chronic pain, @swenson19d. It has only been a bit over 2 weeks since I fell and I am about ready to cut my arm off.

Dh had his appointment with his pcp today. He said she thinks he is doing 'great' and is pleased with his (metformin controlled) A1C! I really wish she would tell him he has to lose some weight. I told him with daylight savings we are going to start going out for a 15min walk after dinner. Up until now it is always too 'something (cold, dark, windy, hot, etc...)' and I am hoping if we start now with spring weather it can become a habit before the summer heat sets in.