Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Runners that need some nutritional accountability

1477478479480481483»

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,314 Member
    @ddmom0811 Thanks so much for letting us know. That makes me so sad. She was such a fighter. I'm glad you stayed in touch with her over the years. I'm heartbroken too. Glad you are doing well. I've wondered about you too.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 920 Member
    I have been avoiding logging in because I felt something was wrong and didn't want to know.

@shanaber You are missed and I will cherish your comments and responses over the years.

Does anyone have a link to her obituary?
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,881 Member
    I can't find one, but here is what her daughter posted on FB: It is with a heavy heart that I announce the death of my mom, Shana Bereznay, on Sunday September 1st. For the last year and a half, she battled pancreatic cancer with a tenacity that astounded her care team. I remember her calling me after her first consult with an oncologist. He had suggested, due to her age, that she try a less aggressive chemo. She found a new oncologist the very next day. Of course, for those of us who knew my mom, her all-in approach was no surprise. It is how she has always lived her life - whether it be diving right in to CMG with my dad, co-leading my very OC girl scout troop, finding running later in life and completing countless half marathons, or being the most dedicated dog mom to Hobbes. She did nothing half heartedly. In her final months, my mom continued to fight. She researched and advocated to be considered for a clinical trial. Delighted by the Kamala nomination she spent hours writing postcards to folks in swing states encouraging them to vote. And lastly, she fought hard to hang on as long as possible to spend as much time as possible with us. It wasn’t enough time. It never could have been. She had so many things she wanted to do. So much life left she wanted to live. I cannot believe she is gone. So friends, as cliche as it may be: go on that trip you’ve been putting off, visit that friend, do that thing you’ve been wanting to do. Oh, and vote in November. Definitely vote.
    I also want to take a moment to thank my dad, Frank Bereznay. He was my mom’s main care giver on this journey and I was blown away by his understated dedication to her. He attended every appointment, drove her here and there and everywhere, and made it his mission to always make my mom feel special and so loved. 50 years together (47 years married) and this last year and a half had them looking like newly weds with my dad buying my mom roses after each chemo treatment and whisking her away on incredible getaways whenever possible. It was a treat to witness.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,881 Member
    I've been so sad since I read that. I went to the Sept 2024 Runners forum and saw that they were running miles for her and want to do the same. I fell in Dec 2022 and hit my face - lost my 6 front top teeth. So I've lost my mojo for running. I haven't fallen any other time and I know exactly how I tripped but I'm just scared. But I miss running, so I thought I'd run a mile for Shana some day this week! Shana helped me so much. My mom also has pancreatic cancer, and brother colon cancer. Shana was so helpful as her surgery was 6 months before my moms. My mom is in remission, which I'm so thankful for, but I wish Shana was too.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,314 Member
    Aww. Thanks @ddmom0811 for sharing what Shana's daughter posted on FB. I had so hoped when they found it early that she would be okay. She fought so hard! I'm so sorry to hear that your mom and brother both have cancer. So glad that your mom is in remission and hope it stays that way.

I had no idea that you had such a nasty fall. I can see how you would be scared to run again. It is nice that you are going to run a mile this week for Shana. Maybe you'll get your running mojo back. I hope you do.

If you want to, I know all of us in the running forum would love for you to let the family know (on FB) how much we loved Shana and miss her positive outlook and encouragement.