"Smart Fat"

Sabine_Stroehm
Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
edited July 2017 in Social Groups
My thing is, I like reading, and discussing.

I'm about to leave the country for a few weeks, but just started this to read on the way.
This isn't an endorsement. I haven't read it.

Thoughts?

https://www.hoopladigital.com/title/11588161

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    The link doesn't seen to be working for me. I get a blue screen that reads "hoopla" and nothing else.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Thanks for the link. Sounds like it is worth a free read.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    edited July 2017
    kpk54 wrote: »
    The link doesn't seen to be working for me. I get a blue screen that reads "hoopla" and nothing else.

Try here....

Not a 'free read' but the closest I could get to giving you a window to assess.... :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited July 2017
    Thanks for the link. Sounds like it is worth a free read.

I'll be curious your thoughts as it talks quite a bit about inflammation, pain and chronic illness.
  • kpk54
    Duh...for some reason I didn't perceive "Smart Fat" as a book title even though you said you were going to read it. LOL.

My library has 3 available copies. Will check it out. Thanks.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    I think it makes common sense that fats from nuts, seeds, avocados, salmon/fish etc. will support your hormone health more than something hydrogenated or *kitten* vegetable oils. I try not to get too orthorexic about it but I regularly include fats from "good" sources for this very reason.
  • kpk54
    I think it makes common sense that fats from nuts, seeds, avocados, salmon/fish etc. will support your hormone health more than something hydrogenated or *kitten* vegetable oils. I try not to get too orthorexic about it but I regularly include fats from "good" sources for this very reason.

The bolded are my frequent sources of fats too. I'm guessing I eat far more nuts/seeds than most people. Don't know. So long as they are not a salted version, I don't tend to overeat them. Since I have upped my carbs (thus eating more vegetables), my calories tend to be pretty low so eating nuts/seeds serve a couple purposes.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

Agree with this, and I seek out and make sure to include those fats (one of my priorities, along with vegetables and adequate protein, as I define it). That I love them makes it easy.

I may check out the book.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Agree with this, and I seek out and make sure to include those fats (one of my priorities, along with vegetables and adequate protein, as I define it). That I love them makes it easy.

I may check out the book.

I just started it but they refers to smart fats, fiber, protein and flavor as the go tos.
    I'll see how it goes beyond that. I suspect they are going to talk more about feed lot meats (and omega 6s), and processed meats than I'd like to hear...
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    I heard an interview with Jonny Bowden (one of the authors) about this book recently. I would love to get your thoughts after you read it.

Basically, he is big on the source of the fat, and not just the saturated, MUFA and PUFA aspect. He said if he could not get grass fed/pasture raised meat for instance, he would be a vegetarian because toxins are all stored in the fat and a conventionally raised beef cow has so many toxins pumped into it from the antibiotics, steroids, hormones, etc. along with those that come from being fed food unnatural to it. However, I think he made a comment to the effect that as it is he is about as far away from being a vegetarian as is possible.

He and his co-author then divided fats into 3 categories - good, probably ok and bad (or something like that).

Again, I would love to get your thoughts after you read it. I have so many books on my "would like to read" list and no where near enough time to read them all.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    quote: @GaleHawkins..." I am doing a lot of things right but sometimes forget why I started doing them in the first place. :)"
    I totally getcha.... sounds like me.
  • GaleHawkins
    Smart Fat would be a good First Book I think after just finishing the first 2 chapters tonight. Hard bound to the door for $12.04 for a new book is awesome. Order it then think about it is my thought on it. :)

Thanks for sharing.

Reversing Cancer, A journey From Cancer to Cure by Dr. Gerald H. Smith 2004 also came today. It was $8.90 used to the door and in very good condition. It is a true story telling of how a couple reversed stage 3 ovarian cancer step by step. It mirrors a lot of my research over the last three years plus more. A lot of my supplements listed at www.ketolivewell.com are covered in the book. Anyone interested in the subject I think will find it worth $10 or what you pay. Basically it is how to rebuild our immune system so it can successfully overcome cancer or most any health crisis.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Smart Fat would be a good First Book I think after just finishing the first 2 chapters tonight. Hard bound to the door for $12.04 for a new book is awesome. Order it then think about it is my thought on it. :)

Thanks for sharing.

Reversing Cancer, A journey From Cancer to Cure by Dr. Gerald H. Smith 2004 also came today. It was $8.90 used to the door and in very good condition. It is a true story telling of how a couple reversed stage 3 ovarian cancer step by step. It mirrors a lot of my research over the last three years plus more. A lot of my supplements listed at www.ketolivewell.com are covered in the book. Anyone interested in the subject I think will find it worth $10 or what you pay. Basically it is how to rebuild our immune system so it can successfully overcome cancer or most any health crisis.
    I'm about two or three chapters in as well. I had to pause it because I'm traveling at the moment, but will pick it back up when I get settled.

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    On the subject of fat: Interesting podcast and transcript from Chris Masterjohn PhD titled "Is Coconut Oil Killing Us?"
    In this episode, I weigh in on the American Heart Association’s new Presidential Advisory and Dietary Fats and Cardiovascular Disease, and all the headlines that have been spinning on the supposed risks of coconut oil.
    https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/2017/06/24/coconut-oil-killing-us/
  • GaleHawkins
    The Smart Fat text is finished the first time through except for the huge sections of recipes. It was worth more to me than the $12.04 price tag. They pulled together a lot of things that I may have read or heard over the past 3 years but it is good to have it in one place. I would call it a near must for those new to Keto.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    canadjineh wrote: »
    On the subject of fat: Interesting podcast and transcript from Chris Masterjohn PhD titled "Is Coconut Oil Killing Us?"
    In this episode, I weigh in on the American Heart Association’s new Presidential Advisory and Dietary Fats and Cardiovascular Disease, and all the headlines that have been spinning on the supposed risks of coconut oil.
    https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/2017/06/24/coconut-oil-killing-us/

Thx, @canadjineh. Lots to digest!

I was struck by this point concerning MCT oil:

"And there are convincing studies using MCT oil, which is 100% 8- and 10-carbon fatty acids, showing that it increases energy expenditure and suppresses appetite.

My guess is that’s because it’s increasing energy expenditure in the brain, and that’s telling the brain that you don’t need as much food. Whatever the exact mechanisms, using MCT oil can lead to a net caloric deficit without trying to cut calories."
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Thanks for the great reviews all! Sounds like one to definitely get a keeper copy of.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    In the end I *bought* a copy of this, as the library book expired before I could get it written.
    A lot of it really resonates with me. I'm back from my long summer trip, and I'm only about half way through it, but am enjoying it.