Group check in thread

Options
fit_chickx
fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
Only if your interested. A quick check in to see who is currently active on the bariatric forum.

How is your weight loss or maintenance going?
Are you having any struggles? What are you doing to overcome them?
How are you with the mental side of weight loss?
What are your small or large goals.
Any goal rewards for yourself?

Replies

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Hi im claire. I had RNY bypass January 2014
    So far down 150lb

Its been very up and down.
    Fell pregnant 9 months post surgery but miscarried at 13 weeks and went off the rails with many aspects of life
    Took up running and was doing well until i realised i was pregnant again.
    Developed hypoglycaemia and they wanted me eating every hour of the day.
    I hit my lowest weight after giving birth at 25 weeks but i was so so ill they kept me in hospital 5 weeks before transferring me away from baby for surgery.
    From that point i gained weight. They still had me eating things like biscuits hourly
    Everytime i tried to restrict my food my milk supply took a big hit
    In the last 3 months ive managed to strike a balance between my intake, exercise levels and my milk supply
    I hike rather than run currently. I hike with my 18 month old on my back partly to keep him close and partly for the extra calorie burn lol
    Mentally its tough. Im not happy with what i see in the mirror and it feels so slow going
    I dont really have any goals, i just want to be happy with what i see in the mirror but i dont think it will happen
    Ive not done rewards

• jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Hey there - I am active on the thread. I had bypass April 18, 2016. Down 83 lbs so far. As most people have seen I am transparent when I have struggled. Had a rough couple of months personally and gained about 4-5 lbs. to be honest I didn't always make the best food choices but also not sure if my body is trying to find its maintenance weight either. Ideally want to lose another 10-20 lbs. I gave myself a 100 lb goal but can adjust if needed. My reward is a diamond band for my right hand that I liked. Been paying it every month till I hit that goal (unless 100 lbs isn't quite attainable, then I will adjust). Once I hit that final goal I will pay the ring in full. Am intrigued with the idea of running but have a vascular necrosis in my left ankle as well as plantar fasciitis and mild arthritis in both knees but eventually would like to try running and see if I can handle it...
  • Mandy_1982
    Mandy_1982 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    My weight loss is slowww. I'm 8 weeks out today and have had several stalls already. I'm probably not following everything to a T, but I try everyday. My constant goal is getting enough water, protein is the easy one.

I'm down 23 pounds or so. Hoping to start dropping major weight soon. I am happy with my daily activity though.
  • MrsCarrieRobinson
    MrsCarrieRobinson Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    8 weeks post op, feeling great! Down 32lbs since surgery. I am active on here and will continue to be because there is a lot of good information here. It's a great place for support.
    I haven't struggled until yesterday and today. My birthday and my daughter's birthday are back to back. That's two days of "celebrating". Although I didn't completely fall off track I did make some poor choices. I'm just going to dust myself off and get back to it.
    My rewards are clothes. Since my body is changing so quickly I tend to get new to me clothes to save $$ but when I hit a milestone I buy something nice. I haven't decided on an end goal reward just yet.
  • gamommy
    gamommy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the newest (if not the newest) VSGers on the forum. I am only 8 days post-op today.

I'm struggling at the moment to meet my goals, but yesterday & today have been better than the other days. It is getting better every day. I'm fighting a lot of head hunger and I want to eat EVERYTHING even though I'm not really *hungry*. Sometimes I have physical hunger "pains" but I think it's acid and not actually hunger. I see my surgeon in 2 days for my post-op and I'll talk to him about it then.

Mentally, I'm scared I won't lose as much as I want. I don't have a number goal in mind, just a physical goal. I'll know it when I get to it. I am afraid that once I'm able to eat that this hunger sensation isn't really going to go anywhere and that I will just want to constantly eat. And even though I *plan* on making good choices, right at this very moment when I want everything and anything I can picture me eating french fries and pizza and pasta and a nice hamburger and BREAD! I want it all! I think head hunger will be a real struggle for me. Hopefully the next stage of the diet for me (pureed) will help curb some of those desires.

No reward goals set yet. I'll probably get a few (thrift) clothes once I've grown out of mine, but I'm nowhere close to that this early post-op. I'm ready to be cleared for exercise. I want to take out my kayak and go on some hikes. Nature is calling.
  • MeemawCanDoIt
    MeemawCanDoIt Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm here. I'm pre-op but have lost around 35 pounds. My doctor's office has been slow submitting all my records to the bariatric surgeon's office to get insurance approval. I'm hoping surgery will happen by October. My goal is to lose 100 pounds. The doc wants me exercising a hour a day, and that has been a struggle. Using this app keeps my calories at around 1,200 a day. I'm excited for surgery and just want to get this process rolling a little faster.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    -I'm here but not crazy active on the board.
    -Weight loss is ok. I had VSG in March 2016. I've lost 80lbs and I'm up 8lbs from my lowest. I'm sort of maintaining at the moment so I need to get back to it. I have not yet reached my goal. I want to lose another 50lbs.
    -I have always struggled with food. That hasn't changed. It's a day-by-day struggle that I don't always win.
    -I'm currently injured and am not able to workout in the way that I want. This is part of the reason I gained 8lbs back. I'm being pouty and pessimistic about it rather than trying to find a work-around.
    -I don't really set small goals. Overall/large goal is to meet my goal weight.
    -I don't have any goal rewards either.
  • clcmfp
    clcmfp Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hi! I had VSG on 2/22/17. I'm down about 78 pounds, so going well, I think.

The only thing I struggle with right now is social eating. Over the summer, I go to a lot of cocktail and dinner parties and have a lot of guests come stay with us. While I don't drink, I have a hard time not picking at appetizers or eating more than I would on my own or higher calories foods than I would normally. At this point, I try to combat it by regulating the rest of my day and trying to be aware of what I'm eating rather than grabbing mindlessly. Passing on dessert is hard, but helps!

The mental side of weight loss is fine. I was a bit depressed with the mental part of surgery from about week 3 to week 8, but that has passed. I missed my friend, food. But then the weight loss takes off, eating becomes easier, I have a therapist, and it just gets easier to accept.

Goals? Be more active, get the last 35 pounds off within a year of surgery, long term goal is learning to maintain this weigh loss which is something I've never been able to do. Long term reward is plastic surgery to repair the damage of being fat for so long.
  • Samquentin
    Samquentin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hi! I try to be active, but mostly just read for the hints/encouragements/other's questions/comments. :)
    -I am 9 weeks post op as of yesterday, lost a total of 80 pounds so far, 50 pre-op, and 30 post-op. In my opinion, my weight loss is going good. :) My body is changing so much, and I realized, I lost my double chin. wooo!!!
    -I really don't struggle much, I stick to the plan given to me by my surgery team, focus on getting my protein and water, and at least 150 cardio minutes a week. I love that I can be more active now, and don't get out of breath just walking!
    -My mental aspect is AWESOME! I've struggled with depression and anxiety my whole life, I notice now my I'm much more positive and happy. I see lots of people say they struggle after surgery with missing food, I never did. bonus!
    -My overall weight goal is to hit 160, and see where I am at. My small goals are every 25 pounds. My big goal is to run, I just am not sure how to start yet, by I told my husband last night @Aztec4Life is my running spirit animal! I'm just in awe with him!!
    -I totally want a new tattoo, and to get to maintenance, and reward my self with an arm lift.
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Hi! I try to be semi-active. I track every day and check out this board every couple days....I am almost 11 months out. I was sleeved on 8/23/16.

How is your weight loss or maintenance going?
    My personal goal weight is 163 and I'm sitting at 169.4 right now. I've bumped up my weight lifting so I notice myself toning but not necessarily dropping lbs. Honestly, I am happy where I am right now so we will just see how things go....

Are you having any struggles? What are you doing to overcome them? Ehhh, I struggle a lot with eating. Eating has always been a comfort for me whether I am happy, sad, stressed - whatever - I go to food. I've slipped many times over the past couple of months but I am blessed to say that I always find my way back and I use exercise as a comfort for me now more than I do food.
    How are you with the mental side of weight loss?
    To me - I don't feel like I look like I weigh 169lbs. I look in the mirror and still see that 280lb person but I'm getting better. I finally stopped going to the plus size section when shopping or even picking up a size 12 or 14 because I just knew that the 8 or 10 wouldn't work. It's a struggle and a lot has happened over the past 11 months so I'm giving myself time to catch up mentally.
    What are your small or large goals.
    Right now I'm taking it one day at a time. My goal is just to continue to be healthy and active.
    Any goal rewards for yourself?
    I don't have any goal rewards.
  • fit_chickx
    Options
    Glad to hear from everyone. Thanks for being open to share how this process is going for each of you. :)

When I hear people say this is the easy way out, I cringe. Nothing easy about this. It's work.

• fit_chickx
    Options
    Hi im claire. I had RNY bypass January 2014
    So far down 150lb

Its been very up and down.
    Fell pregnant 9 months post surgery but miscarried at 13 weeks and went off the rails with many aspects of life
    Took up running and was doing well until i realised i was pregnant again.
    Developed hypoglycaemia and they wanted me eating every hour of the day.
    I hit my lowest weight after giving birth at 25 weeks but i was so so ill they kept me in hospital 5 weeks before transferring me away from baby for surgery.
    From that point i gained weight. They still had me eating things like biscuits hourly
    Everytime i tried to restrict my food my milk supply took a big hit
    In the last 3 months ive managed to strike a balance between my intake, exercise levels and my milk supply
    I hike rather than run currently. I hike with my 18 month old on my back partly to keep him close and partly for the extra calorie burn lol
    Mentally its tough. Im not happy with what i see in the mirror and it feels so slow going
    I dont really have any goals, i just want to be happy with what i see in the mirror but i dont think it will happen
    Ive not done rewards

Be gentle with yourself. You have been through alot. Love that your hiking with the baby. ;) You are a hiking bad @ss!

Appearance, I get it. I've had to work on this. I hid from cameras and mirrors for years. I had a distorted view of myself before surgery. I have a bit of a distorted view now. I accept parts of me look like a shar pei puppy. They are cute..Right?

665rvyid3u8j.jpg
  • fit_chickx
    Options
    jcavanna2 wrote: »
    Hey there - I am active on the thread. I had bypass April 18, 2016. Down 83 lbs so far. As most people have seen I am transparent when I have struggled. Had a rough couple of months personally and gained about 4-5 lbs. to be honest I didn't always make the best food choices but also not sure if my body is trying to find its maintenance weight either. Ideally want to lose another 10-20 lbs. I gave myself a 100 lb goal but can adjust if needed. My reward is a diamond band for my right hand that I liked. Been paying it every month till I hit that goal (unless 100 lbs isn't quite attainable, then I will adjust). Once I hit that final goal I will pay the ring in full. Am intrigued with the idea of running but have a vascular necrosis in my left ankle as well as plantar fasciitis and mild arthritis in both knees but eventually would like to try running and see if I can handle it...

I appreciate that you are transparent and honest. It gives people the reality of what surgery can look like. It's not a magic solution. Still behaviors we have to overcome.

Diamonds are a girls best friend. or was it Chocolate? Diamonds are a better choice. o:) No guilt.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone :-) I had VSG surgery almost 4 years ago. For the most part, I really had no troubles and everything was great for a while but my weight did creep back up because I went down a slippery slope. I gained back about 30 lbs of the 200+ lbs I lost and have been chipping away at it by getting back to the basics that I know work. I was hard on myself for the regain but I realized that overall, I still kept off a LOT of weight and my health in general is amazing. My doctors and surgeon are both super happy with my success, but I will be happier when I am back down to where I was before the regain.

One thing that has helped me with the mental aspect of weight loss is that I started therapy a year before I even considered surgery. I knew that if I didn't get my head right, I wouldn't get my health right. I am glad I did that because losing a couple hundred lbs can be amazing but also overwhelming, especially for a woman. It was a challenging adjustment to say the least. I still see my therapist to keep myself in check and it really does help. I know that I didn't get to almost 400 lbs because I had everything under control, so I believe in taking care of my mental health is an important part of everything I have been doing to take care of my physical health.

My company has a wellness program that I participate in so I have monthly goals that I set with my coach and that really helps. My goals right now are to do cardio 5 times a week, strength training 3 times a week, and to make sure I weigh myself at least twice a month. I don't usually reward myself for reaching goals, to me reaching them is reward enough, but I did decide that when I lose the 30 lbs I regained, I am going to get a new tattoo :-)
  • fit_chickx
    Options
    Mandy_1982 wrote: »
    My weight loss is slowww. I'm 8 weeks out today and have had several stalls already. I'm probably not following everything to a T, but I try everyday. My constant goal is getting enough water, protein is the easy one.

I'm down 23 pounds or so. Hoping to start dropping major weight soon. I am happy with my daily activity though.

Slow is ok. It's not a race. It's not how quickly you lose, it's the fact you are losing. I have not seen anyone perfect to a T. It's good to acknowledge your slip's. don't beat yourself up over it. Just get back on the horse.
    d8bzy6em7csl.jpg
  • fit_chickx
    Options
    8 weeks post op, feeling great! Down 32lbs since surgery. I am active on here and will continue to be because there is a lot of good information here. It's a great place for support.
    I haven't struggled until yesterday and today. My birthday and my daughter's birthday are back to back. That's two days of "celebrating". Although I didn't completely fall off track I did make some poor choices. I'm just going to dust myself off and get back to it.
    My rewards are clothes. Since my body is changing so quickly I tend to get new to me clothes to save $$ but when I hit a milestone I buy something nice. I haven't decided on an end goal reward just yet.

My clothing was limited to certain styles in plus size section. Clothes have been my addiction after weight loss. I forgot I'm kinda a girly girl. If your open, lol post or sent some cute clothing finds.

One of my small goal rewards was toe nail polish. I loved the fact I could reach my toes and shave my legs.

• fit_chickx
    Options
    gamommy wrote: »
    I'm one of the newest (if not the newest) VSGers on the forum. I am only 8 days post-op today.

I'm struggling at the moment to meet my goals, but yesterday & today have been better than the other days. It is getting better every day. I'm fighting a lot of head hunger and I want to eat EVERYTHING even though I'm not really *hungry*. Sometimes I have physical hunger "pains" but I think it's acid and not actually hunger. I see my surgeon in 2 days for my post-op and I'll talk to him about it then.

Mentally, I'm scared I won't lose as much as I want. I don't have a number goal in mind, just a physical goal. I'll know it when I get to it. I am afraid that once I'm able to eat that this hunger sensation isn't really going to go anywhere and that I will just want to constantly eat. And even though I *plan* on making good choices, right at this very moment when I want everything and anything I can picture me eating french fries and pizza and pasta and a nice hamburger and BREAD! I want it all! I think head hunger will be a real struggle for me. Hopefully the next stage of the diet for me (pureed) will help curb some of those desires.

No reward goals set yet. I'll probably get a few (thrift) clothes once I've grown out of mine, but I'm nowhere close to that this early post-op. I'm ready to be cleared for exercise. I want to take out my kayak and go on some hikes. Nature is calling.

Whoop Whoop! Congrats on your surgery!

Recognising head hunger and where your new sensation of full is will come with time.

The pureed stage will help with hunger. I hated seeing food commercials in the first stages. I felt like an addict waiting for a fix..lol

Get out and enjoy life! Take some beautiful nature photos to inspire us.
  • fit_chickx
    Options
    I'm here. I'm pre-op but have lost around 35 pounds. My doctor's office has been slow submitting all my records to the bariatric surgeon's office to get insurance approval. I'm hoping surgery will happen by October. My goal is to lose 100 pounds. The doc wants me exercising a hour a day, and that has been a struggle. Using this app keeps my calories at around 1,200 a day. I'm excited for surgery and just want to get this process rolling a little faster.

pre-op and 35 pounds, you rock! I struggled to get 16 down for my insurance requirement. I admit I had tears some days! lol

Hope you get your approval soon. Hang in there.
    ocg92yepd0qd.jpg