Looking for T2D's that have reversed diabetes using LCHF

Options
DocRobT2DLCHF
DocRobT2DLCHF Posts: 14 Member
Hi all. Been looking for something on MFP that I've not yet found, so I decided to start a discussion on this. If there is enough of us I'd like to start a group.
I'm looking for anyone else who has successfully reversed T2D with LCHF.
I've been diagnosed for 4.5 years and have brought my a1c from a 12.7 to a 5.2. My drs say I'm still a diabetic and always will be. Mine is just controlled by diet.
Others?

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    Are you off meds? I have brought my A1C down to 5.5 on meds, but that is not reversed. I am working on it.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Been looking for something on MFP that I've not yet found, so I decided to start a discussion on this. If there is enough of us I'd like to start a group.
    I'm looking for anyone else who has successfully reversed T2D with LCHF.
    I've been diagnosed for 4.5 years and have brought my a1c from a 12.7 to a 5.2. My drs say I'm still a diabetic and always will be. Mine is just controlled by diet.
    Others?

Congratulations!

There is a large, active Low-Carbers Daily Group, to which many T2Ds belong. That group regularly has active threads relating to T2D, insulin resistance, etc.

(However, I'm not aware of a group on MFP devoted solely to T2D and LC/ketogenic diets.)
  • DocRobT2DLCHF
    DocRobT2DLCHF Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »
    Are you off meds? I have brought my A1C down to 5.5 on meds, but that is not reversed. I am working on it.

Against drs wishes, I refused to ever start meds. I'm from a long line of diabetics, having lost two uncles to the disease, and a mother that lived with and controlled it.

• RalfLott
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'm from a long line of diabetics, having lost two uncles to the disease, and a mother that lived with and controlled it.

Three cheers for your mom. <3

Great you've been able to follow her lead.
    You and @2t9nty could be poster kids for T2D.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    I'm from a long line of diabetics, having lost two uncles to the disease, and a mother that lived with and controlled it.

Three cheers for your mom. <3

Great you've been able to follow her lead.
    You and @2t9nty could be poster kids for T2D.

Three cheers for @DocRobT2DLCHF and his mom. I have taken this diagnosis on as a challenge. I am going to get control of all this if I can. I have been pleased with progress so far. The next appointment is Sept. 18. if all goes well, I will be close to 100 lbs down from Jan 2016. Glucose is being well managed on metformin. At some point my hope is to control it well enough by diet and the reduced weight that I can go off the metformin and have reasonable glucose readings. We will see.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
    I am/was prediabetic. I use a LCHF (mainly ketogenic) diet to control it. It helped me lose my extra 30lbs but after 2 years my fasting BG is still a bit higher than I'd like. The rest of my readings are really good though. Because my FBG is still a bit high, I don't dare go back to eating many carbs. It isn't worth the elevated BG and insulin.

Here's a link the the Low Carber Daily MFP group mentioned: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • RalfLott
    Options
    tsazani wrote: »
    Add me to the "5% club".

So what's the story with Wellbutrin?
  • ConleighS
    ConleighS Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I have chronic pancreatitis and can't do high fat. Need to figure out how to do this.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    ConleighS wrote: »
    I have chronic pancreatitis and can't do high fat. Need to figure out how to do this.

It's not necessary to do high fat in order to do low carb - that's a central principle of Dr. Bernstein's book, "Diabetes Solution."

• RalfLott
    Options
    ConleighS wrote: »

PS. Here's Dr. Bernstein's explanation on how to dose to cover protein:

https://youtu.be/x6eE_kkxXT8
  • ConleighS
    ConleighS Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ralflott, i will take a look.
  • Maesneuadd
    Maesneuadd Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have managed to get myself from the diabetic range (on metformin qds) to the prediabetic range (on no medication) byt diet (LCHF). Still have to watch my diet and weight but happy to be med free
  • RalfLott
    Options
    To update my progress from 2017... My A1C was 5.5 at the Sept 18, 2017 appt. The doctor changed my metformin from 1000 mg twice a day to 1000 mg once a day. My January, 2018 A1C was 5.3 on the reduced meds. He has taken me off the metformin, so I am controlling the BG with keto.

Now... I have not exactly reversed my diabetes. I am still diabetic. I have lost 107 pounds since January 2016. I have a diet that works for me, and I am off diabetes meds. If the BG shoots back up, I will go back on metformin, but I am very happy to report all this for now.

Congratulations! If you don't even need metformin any more, you certainly can claim to have slain the dragon.

I assume you've had a c-peptide test along the way somewhere and are still producing plenty of insulin. ??
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    C-peptide does not sound familiar.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    C-peptide does not sound familiar.

It's excreted around 1:1 with insulin but is easier to measure, thus it's meant to show how much insulin your pancreas is producing.
  • amyfrogred
    amyfrogred Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    To update my progress from 2017... My A1C was 5.5 at the Sept 18, 2017 appt. The doctor changed my metformin from 1000 mg twice a day to 1000 mg once a day. My January, 2018 A1C was 5.3 on the reduced meds. He has taken me off the metformin, so I am controlling the BG with keto.

Now... I have not exactly reversed my diabetes. I am still diabetic. I have lost 107 pounds since January 2016. I have a diet that works for me, and I am off diabetes meds. If the BG shoots back up, I will go back on metformin, but I am very happy to report all this for now.

Wow, great progress!