Looking for T2D's that have reversed diabetes using LCHF

Options
13»

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,659 Member
    Options
    I've reversed my type 2 diabetes by losing some weight. I used to have a HBA1C of 10+ and it is now 4.5 without meds. I was instructed to start reducing and finally stop meds as my HBA1C reduced while losing weight.

Have a look at the study below which essentially says that insulin insensitivity from true Type 2 (not adult onset Type 1) can be reversed by losing belly fat in liver and pancreas.

https://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal/#publicinformation

I no longer monitor BG but do an annual HBA1C. Other tips are

1. Convert simple carbs into resistant starch by cooling and reheating starchy foods to make them lower GI.
    2. High intensity interval training depletes glycogen stores, so BG is sucked out of blood into muscles.

Google "reheat" with "resistant starch" for more information about the first. Google "high intensity interval training" with "blood glucose" for more information about the second.
  • rvfamilyfour
    rvfamilyfour Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with diabetes back in late April with an AC1 of 12. I met with a dietitian who put me on a low carb meal plan. I also put an exercise plan together. Then I met with my doctor to go over my test results. He immediately wanted to put me on medication and was really upset with me when I said no thank you. I wanted to try my meal and exercise plan first. I told him I was giving myself 6 months before thinking about taking medication...then he turned mean and started insulting me. I had my latest blood test a week ago and met with the doctor (a different one this time) this morning. He was very impressed with my results. I have lost 30 pounds so far and my AC1 was 7. I know I am not there yet but it took me a bit to figure out the carb meal plan. The dietitian had me start out with 45g of net carbs per meal but as I was losing the cravings for potato chips and such, I have been able to lower that amount to 20g per meal. I have hit a plateau with my weight loss so next month I am going Keto (28 day challenge) to see if I can jump-start my weight loss and get my AC1 to the right numbers. My doctor told me that he was very proud of me and did not see that I need to be on meds if I can keep up the good work. We also discussed the heart meds I'm on and he feels if I can lose 30 more pounds I may be able to go off them as well. TODAY WAS A GOOD DAY!
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    I had another A1C this past week, and I am at 5.5. I still consider myself diabetic, I just manage the BG with diet and not meds.