17 Day Diet -Who is joining me?

Options
slimbettie
slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
Hi friends,
I did some research on how to kick my weight loss into high gear and I came across this "diet" over the weekend, called the "17 Day Diet". Seems like a great program. I've just ordered the book and wants to start as soon I can. Is there any one here who wants to join in? I see there are a few groups on MFP specifically for this program, but none very active. I want to join up with some friends so that we can encourage each other, do some tracking and keep each other accountable. Please respond or message me if you want to join me.

Replies

• slimbettie
    Options
    aaaaawh no one? :ohwell:
  • newstar44
    newstar44 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    What is the 17 day diet?
  • bobbi_1028
    bobbi_1028 Posts: 27
    Options
    Sorry!

But this challenge isn't long enough for me:)
  • knittingbandmom
    knittingbandmom Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    aaaaawh no one? :ohwell:

I'll totally do this with you. I just got the book last weekend after finding out about it. I remember seeing the book when it came out but by the title I thought it was really just 17 days - you know - like 17 days before a wedding, reunion, etc. I was wrong and I love the fact that the diet changes just a bit every 17 days, keeping me challenged and from getting bored. I was about to start South Beach again before I found this and am switching my plan. I'd love to start sooner than this coming weekend but realistically I don't see me grocery shopping before then. In the meantime I'm at least going to start reducing the junk in my diet. What hooked me is looking at the before and after pictures. They ALL lost weight in their belly!
  • knittingbandmom
    Options
    What is the 17 day diet?

Google Dr. Phil vs. The Doctors 17 Day Diet. There are lots of articles and videos. Dr. Phil created a team and the Doctor's created a team and they all did this diet and competed against each other. It is similar to South Beach - I think anyway - except in the first cycle you can have fruit, and 2 servings of yogurt/dairy a day. Other than that no processed foods, sugar, or carbs other than those in the fruit and veggies you eat. You do this for 17 days. Then you change it up a little for the next 17 days, eating more complex carbs like oatmeal and whole wheat. For the third 17 days you add even more foods, then start back at cycle 2 again. You repeat cycles 2 and 3 until you have lost the weight you want then move to cycle 4 for maintenance and, well forever. The only "gimickie" part to me is that he advocates not eating fruits after 2:00 pm. Other than that it seems to be a very balanced and healthy diet and the results people have had have been amazing. I can try not eating fruit after 2 if those are the results lol.
  • slimbettie
    Options
    Newstart and Knitting I am so glad you are keen to join me. I am also still waiting on my book...so as soon as I get it I will start reading and let's say start the next day? Could we all start on the same day, just be make it more fun? We can do weight and measurements here and weigh and measure weekly in this thread or start a new one...what do you think?

Any one else keen to join...PLEASE do!
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I was planning on starting tomorrow, but i can wait. I have some things I need to get out of the house anyway.
  • jenbk2
    Options
    Oh i want to add if you go to www.17DDBlog.com you can put your emial address in and you can get a quickstart guide. Gives you all the foods for all the cycles and a quick over view. You will get the "spam like" emails afterward but it is a quick guide.
  • knittingbandmom
    Options
    I discovered that 17dd blog and the freebies too. ALSO, and this is kind of a rabbit hole but well worth the trip down it. I googled doctors tv 17 day diet recipe. There is a HUGE group of recipes there that you can spend hours going through. Some very crafty and creative dieters. I picked up lots of tips I would not have thought of on my own. There is one recipe for stir fried rice but the rice is made of raw cauliflower that has been pulsed through a food processor. Add to that eggs, chicken, veggies, etc. and the picture looks just like fried rice. The funny thing is I've never watched this tv show OR Dr. Phil lol. I just ran across them when reading up on the 17 day diet :).

I can wait a few days to start as well because I've got to grocery shop and probably won't get there until the weekend anyway. What every you all decide about posting weight, etc. is fine with me.
  • jenbk2
    Options
    so start Monday?
  • slimbettie
    Options
    Hi!
    I think it would be great to start on Sunday. We can get all organized by then. What do you all think?
    Let's weigh and measure on Sunday, do the before pics..... I'm just thinking with people working it takes a chunk out of your morning to still weigh and measure before work. Or will Monday be better?? I work from home, so any day is good for me :wink:
    Even if we are just a few people doing it, at least we are all serious and will be actively involved. I don't want a hundred people, but just 5 actually taking part you know what I mean?

Cheers! (let me know..)
  • slimbettie
    Options
    I checked out that blog and got the quick start guide. I could actually start tomorrow the 1st.......Let me know?
  • vonns36
    vonns36 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Sounds good...count me in..
  • jenbk2
    Options
    Ladies- if you would like a copy of some of the "books" from the 17 day blog. I have downloaded inbox me your email address and i can send it to you ;-) I did buy one of the books and i have no problem sharing with you
  • newstar44
    newstar44 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Ok, I just got the quick start guide, going to look at that today. At this point I would prefer to start on Monday, but will try to go with what the group wants. Thanks for all the info ladies!
  • jenbk2
    Options
    I received a couple of friend requests but when I went to accept they were gone. Issues with this new set up I guess.
  • vonns36
    vonns36 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Monday would be best for me
  • slimbettie
    Options
    Okay ladies, get your business sorted out, because Monday is D DAY!!! :happy:
  • tinacristina
    tinacristina Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies, do you mind if I join you?

I started this diet yesterday and could really use some support. There isn't much out there until I found you all.

So far, what I can share is day 1 went pretty good. The nice thing about doing this is you can eat when you are hungry! I love that we can also have yogurt too and that was nice with my fruit. Best of luck ladies who start Sunday/Monday!
  • melissan84
    melissan84 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Can I join ya ladies? I have about 19-20 lbs to lose which are being stubborn. I have been stuck for a year now in the same weight and I think I need to change things around.

I am going to start this Monday!