Last 10 pounds, HELP

Options
stephboushay
stephboushay Posts: 4 Member
I have been 135 for over a year with a goal weight of 125 at 5"6. Can people in similar situations or expertise help with what might work. Work out 5-6 times per week, 1200 cal and macro counting. Feel like I've checked off everything on the list for obtaining my goal with no results.

Replies

• bringbackthejoy
    bringbackthejoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I can't help as you are already doing what I would suggest. Maybe take a look at your food? Are you estimating or using a scale? Are you eating your exercise calories back? How are you tracking your estimated calorie burn?
  • stephboushay
    Options
    Sorry, I can't help as you are already doing what I would suggest. Maybe take a look at your food? Are you estimating or using a scale? Are you eating your exercise calories back? How are you tracking your estimated calorie burn?

I am not eating back my calories, in fact I don't track my workouts in the same app as my food to separate the calories properly. I don't however measure with a scale as I don't have one so I measure with measuring cups to be as accurate as possible.
  • rachls77
    rachls77 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi Steph. I'm in a similar situation. I weigh between 130 to 134lb and have fluctuated up and down for months without getting anywhere. I am not so consistent with my logging or exercise though. I start off well but lose motivation and gain a couple of pounds, which makes me even less motivated. My ideal weight (also 5ft 6) is 119lb. It seems crazy to me that people on here can lose 100lb, yet I don't have the willpower to lose 10lb! I run, but having been unwell and now my children are off school I haven't even done that for 2 1/2 weeks. I'm looking into some weight training personal training sessions, but ideally I'd like to drop some fat before hand, if only I can get my motivation back!!! Turn 40 this week as well.....
    If you find the answer, I'd love to know how to shift the last 10-14 lbs!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    The last 5-10lbs can be a real pain.

My advice would be to make sure your logging is tight... use a food scale for all solids. 1200 seems kind of low for your height and if you are truly eating that much and not eating exercise calories back and not losing..chances are you are eating more than you think.
  • cjack19
    cjack19 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I also think you might not be eating enough, I would maybe look into calculating what your TDEE is (lots of calculators on Google). I know it seems counter productive to eat more...but if you are working out 5-6 times a week your body probably needs more.
  • littlebuffbiddy
    littlebuffbiddy Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You can incorporate HIIT cardio. To me it has made a difference in getting through a plateau and cleaning up my diet. I only do cardio two days a week, but when I do I make sure it's HIIT to get the most out of it. And also I think staggering calories each day is beneficial for me. It confuses my metabolism so it doesn't stagnate. So one day my calories will be higher and the next lower. Also you could stagger macros instead of calories for the same effect. Just MTC
  • HP4Life
    HP4Life Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you're not eating enough. You are working out but not eating any of your calories back. Have you tried upping your calorie intake?
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I'm with @HP4Life here - I think you are eating way too little. It may be worth looking in to reverse dieting. There's a group on here called something along the lines of Eat More to Lose More (in the popular groups) which could be helpful to you. You cannot stay at 1200 cals for life.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    The last 5-10lbs can be a real pain.

My advice would be to make sure your logging is tight... use a food scale for all solids. 1200 seems kind of low for your height and if you are truly eating that much and not eating exercise calories back and not losing..chances are you are eating more than you think.

I agree. When you get to that last 5 or 10 pounds, there's not much room for error in your calorie counts.

Are you eating back exercise calories? MY guess is that you're overestimating your calorie burn in your workouts. Especially when you get to a pretty low weight, you may not be burning nearly what MFP estimates. And really, you should be eating at least some of those calories back. If you're truly eating only 1200 calories a day and working out 5 or 6 times a week, you're probably not fueling those workouts very well and I'll bet you're exhausted. Your workouts may not be as effective as they should be, in that case.
  • stephboushay
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your comments, They are all very insightful and helpful. I am going to try increasing my calorie intake as it seems to be a common suggestion as well as tracking my calories tighter. I will update you all in a few weeks. @JeepHair77 @rianneonamission @HP4Life @ellenmarielifts @cjack19 @sardelsa @rachls77
  • WallyAmadeus
    WallyAmadeus Posts: 119 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    There's a great book titled "Secrets of Skinny Chicks", and the author profiles women who are professional body doubles for actresses (e.g., Julia Roberts in Erin Brockovich), professional models and fitness competitors. What impressed me is how intensely these women work to have those bodies: meticulous calorie counting, liters of water, intense cardio and weight training.

Our stats are fairly comparable, and I think by most people's standards we look pretty good! But, I had to finally accept that if I wanted to meet my standards (about 15 lbs less than I am now...I'm 5 ft 8 inches, 147 lbs), I have to approach it like an athlete.

So, I would echo what the others have said: weigh and track your food (I know..so tedious!). I was amazed once I began doing this...I mean every innocent skim latte, extra piece of whole wheat bread, protein bar...that I was off by as much as 400 to 600 calories per day (eating out can really throw me off.)

Finally, have you had your thyroid checked? My thyroid tends to run in the low normal (just barely), and a boost of synthetic thyroid prescribed by my doc really helped when I hit a major plateau despite being very vigilant about tracking/exercise.