gluten free/celiac

Options
2»

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I have IBD - Ulcerative colitis and IBS. I was tested for celiac disease and it was negative, but I never considered I might be gluten sensitive. My GI issues have improved since going LCHF and I notice when I go off course and eat carby foods that my GI symptoms get worse. So from what I've read so far on gluten sensitivity is that products with gluten are absorbed into your skin and it can cause symptoms, is that correct? I use Aveeno oatmeal soap, Aveeno face wash and Aveeno oatmeal lotion daily, I have eczema on my hands and tend to get dry skin. Aveeno has been the only product I've found to help with both, I've tried so many different lotions and they always leave a greasy feeling on my skin I can't stand, but Aveeno doesn't. Any recommendations on lotions that do not feel greasy and a gentle body wash/soap & face wash that does not dry out your skin would be appreciated. I would like to see if it will make any difference with my GI symptoms.

@MariahMichaels - I found some stuff that listed mostly decent ingredients...E(yes) L(ips) F(ace) aka ELF... I use that lotion atop a homemade facial serum I used. Aside from Cetaphil, I've not dappled much in the facial wash arena, other than I was gifted some Arbonne sensitive skin stuff, and I never had problems it with...
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I have IBD - Ulcerative colitis and IBS. I was tested for celiac disease and it was negative, but I never considered I might be gluten sensitive. My GI issues have improved since going LCHF and I notice when I go off course and eat carby foods that my GI symptoms get worse. So from what I've read so far on gluten sensitivity is that products with gluten are absorbed into your skin and it can cause symptoms, is that correct? I use Aveeno oatmeal soap, Aveeno face wash and Aveeno oatmeal lotion daily, I have eczema on my hands and tend to get dry skin. Aveeno has been the only product I've found to help with both, I've tried so many different lotions and they always leave a greasy feeling on my skin I can't stand, but Aveeno doesn't. Any recommendations on lotions that do not feel greasy and a gentle body wash/soap & face wash that does not dry out your skin would be appreciated. I would like to see if it will make any difference with my GI symptoms.

My son has terrible eczema and the oatmeal lotions do work very well. He absolutely hates a greasy texture lotion too. He's had good results with this Gold Bond lotion.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    He also likes this one a lot which is mine and wasn't even bought with the intention of using it on his eczema. It's actually labeled gluten free on the back.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @MariahMichaels Ugh!! Aveeno is a NO-NO for celiacs and very likely NCGS (Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitive) as well.
    It's possible that your eczema may clear up after a while of eating/living strictly GF.
    Here's some interesting pages from "Undoctored" Dr. William Davis MD's book on how to take control of our health care. I took photos since it is the easiest way to get the info on here. Sorry if it's too small on devices like small tablets or phones. :/
    uizeugw6wiut.jpg
    ktp7t2rid4ab.jpg
    qz8ztfb2cuom.jpg
    938cm7jx3hge.jpg
    s4f5dn4sp6xg.jpg

BTW, here's the Avon info... All 3 formulas of NutraEffects products are GF. One formula is for dullness and uneven skin tone, one for early signs of aging, one for oily & combination skin balancing.
    The day creams also have SPF factors (I actually use them for my hands and forearms daily).
    74lngbykccko.jpg

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I use coconut oil for lotion or George's foot cream. George's is good.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Sorry if it's too small on devices like small tablets or phones.

lol those pics are actually crazy big
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    but very interesting, thank you!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Sorry if it's too small on devices like small tablets or phones.

lol those pics are actually crazy big

Well the files are big, but if you only have a small phone screen to access MFP the photos might be too small to read, ;)