Postpartum Chat

Options
124»

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    @Alioth yep still breastfeeding twice a day. I might wean him in December before baby 2 comes in January... but sometimes I wonder if I would be up for tandem feeding. But then I remember how freaking hard those first months are and I'm like eerrrr maybe not lol. It helps we get a min of 12 months off here. If I had to go back to work before 6 months I would have formula fed. I'm all for breastfeeding but despise pumping.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    @Alioth Congratulations on your baby!! He is adorable!

@SheilAnneSmith I'm so sorry breastfeeding is so hard for you! You are not even remotely a failure!! You are a wonderful mother who is doing everything in your power for your baby and struggling with that reality!! You sound like you are going through the same struggles I had. Every feeding until ~4 months took 1-2 hours. I laughed and raged at all of the sleep advice talking about schedules because our feeding schedule made their suggestions impossible. I remember crying to husband about how much I was coming to hate the couch and living room because I felt chained to it. I barely got anything from pumping, so my husband mom couldn't even help with nights or the occasional feeding to let me take a nap, and even if he just ate, Leo would cry every time I pumped which added extra stress. Many times, my husband and mom told me that I should pump exclusively but offered no additional support for all of the additional time and effort that would take. I realize they were trying to help and offer me an "out" that would let me keep breastfeeding but not be solely responsible for feedings, but it didn't feel like the right option for me and felt like they were supporting my decision to keep fighting for what I was doing.

I remember one time when my husband offered to do night feedings for me so I could sleep. He even slept in the living room with the baby so I could hopefully sleep all night. I was so excited because I had pumped more than enough for a night's worth of feedings and desperately needed a break. Then my husband wakes me to tell me the baby ate ALL of the pumped formula and was STILL crying with hunger. I had to spend another hour feeding him. Turns out he had just started a cluster feed :'(

We started combo feeding at 6 or 7 weeks (I can't even remember) and I stopped breastfeeding at 6 months. I dealt with cracked, bleeding, infected, and painful nipples the entire time. I was ravenous and quickly regained half of the weight that I lost immediately post-partum. I could barely find time to eat, shower, or sleep so things like exercise were out of the question. The lactation consultant visits didn't help at all. I pretty much hated breastfeeding the entire time but couldn't bring myself to stop completely and it was devastating when I did. However, once I stopped, all of my physical problems ended, my weight and hunger leveled out, and baby Leo started gaining weight faster and actually got to Michelin Man chubby. I'm absolutely not telling you to stop breastfeeding but just letting you know my experience.

Hang in there mama <3<3
  • SheilAnneSmith
    SheilAnneSmith Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Thank you @puffbrat, yes, it sounds very, very familiar. We'll be at 3 months this weekend--since I last posted I have tried adding lactation cookies, blessed thistle, brewers yeast, more oatmeal, etc and I'm still only getting about 5-6 oz out of 3 pumping sessions.

Going back to work has probably saved me from quitting totally. Just to get away from it for 8 hours during the day has helped cure the burnout for sure. Maybe with the current routine we can managed to make it another 3 months, I hope.

She seems to be liking the system, we haven't weighed her in a month but she's packing it on and has seemed to catch-up pretty quickly after not gaining much the first month. Here is a photo my husband sent me this morning after she downed her breakfast! LOL

7gcbqzpf58g1.jpg

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    Thank you @puffbrat, yes, it sounds very, very familiar. We'll be at 3 months this weekend--since I last posted I have tried adding lactation cookies, blessed thistle, brewers yeast, more oatmeal, etc and I'm still only getting about 5-6 oz out of 3 pumping sessions.

Going back to work has probably saved me from quitting totally. Just to get away from it for 8 hours during the day has helped cure the burnout for sure. Maybe with the current routine we can managed to make it another 3 months, I hope.

She seems to be liking the system, we haven't weighed her in a month but she's packing it on and has seemed to catch-up pretty quickly after not gaining much the first month. Here is a photo my husband sent me this morning after she downed her breakfast! LOL

7gcbqzpf58g1.jpg

Omg shes amazing!
  • puffbrat
    Options
    @SheilAnneSmith She's adorable!! With a nice chubby baby buddha belly :)
  • WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    Options
    @SheilAnneSmith She's adorable!
  • SheilAnneSmith
    SheilAnneSmith Posts: 202 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    zkpugudndg58.jpg
    Just a quick hello! Hope everyone is having a good September. Time is flying by.

I'm finally feeling like I'm getting settled into a good routine and we are still mixed feeding. Andrena was 15 lbs 1 oz at her 4 month appointment and handled her shots well. We are just about ready to start moving her to her crib and out of the Pack n Play Light in the front room. Hoping the transition goes well.

ETA-- I really need to get back on the calorie tracking train. I've gained more weight in 4 months than I did my whole pregnancy. I've been stress eating and using no time to cook as an excuse. Trying to get more crockpot meals made and get myself under control.
  • puffbrat
    Options
    @SheilAnneSmith she's adorable!! I'm glad you feel like you are settling into a routine. That point really made a huge difference for me mentally which allowed me to get other parts of my life back on track to my normal.
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    @SheilAnneSmith Great to see you doing so well. Andrena is so beautiful!