Replies

• EggToni
    EggToni Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Oops. Polio vaccine. LOL
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    she may be going for the currently trendy semi-homeless look...but her hair looks like she's a princess...so it's a bit of a contrast with the outfit

I thought it might be the beach cover up that she wasn't wearing in her "beach leap" photo.

If I could look that good in it, I'd wear it... perhaps not on tv but I'd wear it. LOL I'm far from a Bond girl. ;D
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    EggToni wrote: »
    Hehehe -- you guys are funny. She (Halle) annoys me.

Is her dress, voice or just being blazing hot in anything that annoys you? :)

She is a beautiful woman, but . . . Her Oscar acceptance speech was one of the most sickening speeches ever. Like she had just won an award for inventing Polio. Typical Hollywood Prima Donna.

You know that often men don't listen when women are talking. :)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    She's beautiful, super fit, worth millions, promoting Keto on national television and yet people still find something to criticize... proof that no matter who you are or what you do, Taylor Swift said it best... haters are gonna hate, hate, hate, hate...

Well, we are all entitled to our own opinions.

I don't hate. I'm not jealous. It doesn't matter if she's rich, or beautiful, or famous, THE DRESS, or whatever the hell that thing is, STILL BE UGLY. :smirk:
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    That wasn't directed at you or anyone in particular. I was just pointing out that of all of the positives that could be taken away from her being a 51 year old diabetic publicly stating that she follows the Keto WOE avoiding sugar and focusing on healthy fats to maintain good health, the conversation took a turn to focus on one small irrelevant thing.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you popped in @midwesterner85 to explain. I recalled hearing about it and reading scuttlebutt though never heard the facts.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Oops. Polio vaccine. LOL

:joy:
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Articles I've read indicate she's been diagnosed since 19 years of age. Also there was that fiasco earlier in 2000 where she reported said she was cured of T1D and is now T2D. Huh? Can that happen? That was the "fiasco" part.

As a type 1 who is aware of what happened here, I'll explain... she is not type 1. She is also not type 2.

She was initially misdiagnosed with type 1 diabetes and was a well-publicized advocate for T1D for awhile. Then her pancrease suddenly started making insulin again. There was some confusion and some statements that she was "cured" and that annoyed some of us Type 1's who know there is no such thing.

As it turns out, Halle Berry has monogenic diabetes (aka MODY). She was initially misdiagnosed with type 1 because it appeared as though she had stopped making insulin... in fact, she had actually stopped making insulin. Back then, blood tests that we have today didn't exist.

Now, we have antibody tests and C-Peptide tests. If a c-peptide test indicates someone is making very little or no insulin, then they are generally believed to be a type 1. However, someone who is making very little or no insulin AND has no antibodies (i.e. their immune system isn't killing their pancreatic beta cells), then they probably have MODY. The combination of these 2 tests, which were not available when I was first diagnosed either (so maybe I have MODY too... but statistically unlikely) can identify whether someone is type 1 or MODY. A type 2 will not have anti-bodies and c-peptide testing will indicate sufficient insulin production since type 2's have problems on the use side of insulin rather than the production side.

Great explanation, thanks.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    She's beautiful, super fit, worth millions, promoting Keto on national television and yet people still find something to criticize... proof that no matter who you are or what you do, Taylor Swift said it best... haters are gonna hate, hate, hate, hate...

Well, we are all entitled to our own opinions.

I don't hate. I'm not jealous. It doesn't matter if she's rich, or beautiful, or famous, THE DRESS, or whatever the hell that thing is, STILL BE UGLY. :smirk:

I'm jealous. ;)
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I just wished she'd explained it better. :/ But yay for her for saying it!

ETA: googling Halle Berry Diabetes was a bit of a hornets nest!

I didn't bother kicking it. I already caused a furore just by adding my FIRST comment!
    Why is she still in her dressing gown, though? Didn't they have enough time for her to put on a pair of skinny jeans and a t-shirt?
    I mean, she can hardly cover up... all that thigh.....

Poor thing. She'll catch her death.....
  • baconslave
    Options
    That wasn't directed at you or anyone in particular. I was just pointing out that of all of the positives that could be taken away from her being a 51 year old diabetic publicly stating that she follows the Keto WOE avoiding sugar and focusing on healthy fats to maintain good health, the conversation took a turn to focus on one small irrelevant thing.

Of course it wasn't directed specifically at me, but it did pertain to me, and so I had something to say: dress still ugly. It washes her out and takes the vibrance out of her.

She's still a wonderful person, no doubt, using her wealth and fame to further important causes. She's an admirable woman.

BUT! Did you see the shameful way she treated whiskey on 2 occasions! gasp! Whiskey is nectar of the gods meant to be sipped and savored, not chugged like some bottom-shelf vodka jello-shot by some girl at a frat party! :scream:
    Shameful!!!

I am, as I was previously, just goofing around and joking. :wink:

RalfLott wrote: »
    Oops. Polio vaccine. LOL

LOL! :lol:

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Articles I've read indicate she's been diagnosed since 19 years of age. Also there was that fiasco earlier in 2000 where she reported said she was cured of T1D and is now T2D. Huh? Can that happen? That was the "fiasco" part.

As a type 1 who is aware of what happened here, I'll explain... she is not type 1. She is also not type 2.

She was initially misdiagnosed with type 1 diabetes and was a well-publicized advocate for T1D for awhile. Then her pancrease suddenly started making insulin again. There was some confusion and some statements that she was "cured" and that annoyed some of us Type 1's who know there is no such thing.

As it turns out, Halle Berry has monogenic diabetes (aka MODY). She was initially misdiagnosed with type 1 because it appeared as though she had stopped making insulin... in fact, she had actually stopped making insulin. Back then, blood tests that we have today didn't exist.

Now, we have antibody tests and C-Peptide tests. If a c-peptide test indicates someone is making very little or no insulin, then they are generally believed to be a type 1. However, someone who is making very little or no insulin AND has no antibodies (i.e. their immune system isn't killing their pancreatic beta cells), then they probably have MODY. The combination of these 2 tests, which were not available when I was first diagnosed either (so maybe I have MODY too... but statistically unlikely) can identify whether someone is type 1 or MODY. A type 2 will not have anti-bodies and c-peptide testing will indicate sufficient insulin production since type 2's have problems on the use side of insulin rather than the production side.

Thank for the clarification. I knew about the confusion about what type she has and had heard that it was MODY also. I'm pretty unfamiliar with that. Do we know why the beta cells stop producing insulin in MODY? If not an autoimmune attack, then I wonder what it is?

My brain is wondering what keeps the cells from regenerating, assuming that is truly possible as this study would suggest.
    http://www.faustmanlab.org

Basically, in this study they believe that they can cure the autoimmune condition that causes T1D and found in their mouse model (and human too maybe?) that the pancreas begins to make insulin again in time due to beta cell regeneration. They believe if they can stop the immune attack the beta cells can come back.
    It's a fascinating study and also appears to be pretty safe without needing any immune suppression. I actually wish we lived in Boston or near enough for my daughter to apply for the second phase study which they are filling now.

Anyway, the idea that beta cell death occurs in MODY without the immune attack raises questions for me. I wonder if you know what the believed cause is.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Thank for the clarification. I knew about the confusion about what type she has and had heard that it was MODY also. I'm pretty unfamiliar with that. Do we know why the beta cells stop producing insulin in MODY? If not an autoimmune attack, then I wonder what it is?

My brain is wondering what keeps the cells from regenerating, assuming that is truly possible as this study would suggest.

Basically, in this study they believe that they can cure the autoimmune condition that causes T1D and found in their mouse model (and human too maybe?) that the pancreas begins to make insulin again in time due to beta cell regeneration. They believe if they can stop the immune attack the beta cells can come back.
    It's a fascinating study and also appears to be pretty safe without needing any immune suppression. I actually wish we lived in Boston or near enough for my daughter to apply for the second phase study which they are filling now.

Anyway, the idea that beta cell death occurs in MODY without the immune attack raises questions for me. I wonder if you know what the believed cause is.

To answer a couple of your questions:
    the idea that beta cell death occurs in MODY without the immune attack raises questions for me. I wonder if you know what the believed cause is.

In MODY, beta cells don't die. They just stop functioning. Because they still exist, they can also spontaneously start functioning again. This is what happened at one point for Halle Berry, and then the confusion ensued about how/why a type 1 could be 'cured.'
    Do we know why the beta cells stop producing insulin in MODY?

Genetic reasons... it seems as though there are several genetic-based causes, but most often it is a mutation.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

To answer a couple of your questions:
    the idea that beta cell death occurs in MODY without the immune attack raises questions for me. I wonder if you know what the believed cause is.

In MODY, beta cells don't die. They just stop functioning. Because they still exist, they can also spontaneously start functioning again. This is what happened at one point for Halle Berry, and then the confusion ensued about how/why a type 1 could be 'cured.'
    Do we know why the beta cells stop producing insulin in MODY?

Genetic reasons... it seems as though there are several genetic-based causes, but most often it is a mutation.

Ok. That makes more sense now.
    Thanks!
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options

Of course it wasn't directed specifically at me, but it did pertain to me, and so I had something to say: dress still ugly. It washes her out and takes the vibrance out of her.

She's still a wonderful person, no doubt, using her wealth and fame to further important causes. She's an admirable woman.

BUT! Did you see the shameful way she treated whiskey on 2 occasions! gasp! Whiskey is nectar of the gods meant to be sipped and savored, not chugged like some bottom-shelf vodka jello-shot by some girl at a frat party! :scream:
    Shameful!!!

Oops. Polio vaccine. LOL

I wondered what people would say about that. I saw it as a blip on the screen. Her choices are hers alone. She's not responsible to be the poster child for diabetes. Everything is so scripted. I truly believe she adjusted her meal plan to accommodate the drinks. Has anyone viewing ever got off their meal plan?
  • baconslave
    Options

Shameful!!!

Oops. Polio vaccine. LOL

I wondered what people would say about that. I saw it as a blip on the screen. Her choices are hers alone. She's not responsible to be the poster child for diabetes. Everything is so scripted. I truly believe she adjusted her meal plan to accommodate the drinks. Has anyone viewing ever got off their meal plan?

Of course.
    I drink sometimes. Whiskey and Coke Zero or vodka water and Blueberry Lemonade Mio. I fit it in if I have the cals and want it.

I have nothing but affection for her. Great lady!
    I was just joking around. I was so jealous about the whiskey. Hubby always buys that bottomshelf vodka swill...I want my whiskey. I'm buying myself some Crown for my birthday. He can't have any.