How to get in 100 grams of flax seed daily? Easy Recipe? any Processed foods?

Options
13»

Replies

• mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Here's a "muffin" recipe I came across on Pinterest. (Note: Pinterest.com is a female-centric Web site but it's a gold mine for low-carb tips and recipes.) This "muffin" is more bread-like than other coffee cup bread recipes I've tried. I've been making it for breakfast with a drizzle of the only Walden Farms product I actually like: their pancake syrup.

One Minute Flax Seed Muffins
    Combine
    1⁄4 cup flax seed meal
    1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
    1⁄4 teaspoon Splenda
    1 teaspoon Cinnamon

Combine separately
    1 egg
    1 teaspoon oil

Add liquid to dry ingredients in straight sided microwave container like a coffee cup. Stir. Microwave for one minute.

Suggested variations:
    Make it savory by substituting garlic and/or Italian seasoning for Splenda and cinnamon.
    Add one-fourth cup grated Cheddar or Parmesan; may need another 30 seconds cook time.
    Cut in half and toast.

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @mandycat223, does the muffin slip out of the mug easily or are you stuck with trying to pry it out? Does it need a paper muffin cup? Never made a mug-anything before...
  • poli22
    poli22 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have a recipe very similar to this one and it slips right out of the mug and it is very good. I also use a cream cheese icing on it that is made with splenda that is very good. 8 oz cream cheese, 1 cup splenda 2 T butter, blend together, spread on the muffin, the only problem is eating too much of it.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    @mandycat223, does the muffin slip out of the mug easily or are you stuck with trying to pry it out? Does it need a paper muffin cup? Never made a mug-anything before...

I give the mug a quick shot of cooking spray beforehand, just to make sure. When I forget the spray step, the muffin slips out almost as well, just leaving a tiny bit behind in the bottom of the mug. This has been true of other mug recipes as well. Using a paper muffin cup would be both cumbersome and unnecessary.

I'm a big fan of mug cup recipes because they make portion control so much easier. I have a recipe for flax meal buns made in a muffin top pan and it's a struggle not to gobble down two or three at a sitting.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I really need to try the flax meal muffin recipe! I bought a big bag of it but haven't been using it (or my chia seeds) for a while. I've been lazy and just grabbing quick things like lunch meat, various forms of cheese and nuts, and Quest bars rather than taking the time (like I used to) to make coconut chia seed pudding, LCHF mug cakes, etc.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Can I just say, "Flackers" is a fantastic name?

Also, hemp hearts are awesome. Add them and some cacao nibs (the unsweetened kind) to things like smoothies. Nom nom nom.