Please post your success stories here...especially tiny successes...=)

Options
I find that thinking about my own tiny successes and reading about others' tiny successes so inspiring and motivating. Please share them here if you don't mind. =)

I'll kick off this discussion with one of my own...

It was 5 weeks ago, my doctor told me that I had entered the pre-diabetic stage. Yikes. Coincidently, I watched "The Way We Think About Sugar Is Going To Change". Another coincidence is that I was taking a course about "Tiny Habits" a concept Dr. BJ Fogg who is an expert in creating systems to change human behavior.

A friend and I decided to make one tiny change in the way we eat. We decided to limit our daily sugar intake to 50g or less and use MFP to track it. I've been very diligent about it and here are my results: down 8.8lbs, more energy, less cravings, clothes are fitting looser, and the dark ring around my neck and dark spots spots on my knees (condition that pre-diabetic and diabetic people develop that indicates too much glucose in the bloodstream) are gone!

Limiting my sugar intake has been miraculous. Easier than any fad diet I've been on before (including the tactic of just limiting the amount of calories I eat). I know that I'm going to be able to sustain this lifestyle change with fun and ease.

Last weekend I attended a nutrition class for pre-diabetics. It was very informative. I will continue to limit my daily sugar intake using MFP and all your support and encouragement out there. During this second month, I'm taking on one more "change" since attending that nutrition class which is limiting carbohydrates between 35-45g per meal (which is for women; 45-60g/meal for men). I'm going to do this for the next month or so. MFP makes it so easy to track this.

One change at a time. It really does make a difference in making a lifestyle change. When the third month approaches, I'll keep you all posted if I incorporate another "change". Thanks for all your support. =)

I go into my doctor for a blood sugar test follow-up in October. I'll keep you all posted. =)

Replies

• Theeerica
    Theeerica Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm on my third day of not eating sugary foods, and so far it's going well.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    My turkey neck has nearly disappeared!
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I really needed this today. A little back story, I started this at 43, I was 244 and looking to get down to 144. About 2 years later I was at 146, that didn't look good on me so I thought 150 would be a nice area :) Fast forward 44, 45, 46, 47 those were the good years, tuned 48 and started noticing some changes in my body. Now at 49 I seem to have a little belly fat that just seems happy where it is. The scale seems to want to be in the high 160's so to keep from wallowing in the past I started doing some Sworkit workouts and some 30 Day Challenges. I can see improvements in my strength workouts so just knowing I am getting stronger is a success that I can live with.

I will probably always work on my eating but that's okay! Sometimes we have to work with what we have.
  • smallsteps2success
    smallsteps2success Posts: 64 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Great stories! Thanks for sharing! My most recent NSV is that I noticed my tastes buds are changing when I ate some celery stalks yesterday and they tasted so yummy. lol

Please keep sharing!
  • smallsteps2success
    Options
    I only recently realized that when I walk my thighs don't hike my shorts to my crotch - I no longer have to yank them back in place every 5 minutes.

That's a great NSV! I deal with this too. I can't to have that as a success story. lol ;)
  • smallsteps2success
    Options
    p79u866wiz0m.jpg
    Now 49, probably best shape of my life.

Congrats on the maintenance! So inspiring. =)
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Yes, I too have been cutting my processed sugar and foods down. Lowering my carbs, not super low but lower for myself. Getting sugar from natural sources, like fruit.

This isn't my first time down this road. I am what you call a restricter by necessity ( meaning I can not practice moderation) it just doesn't work for me. I have lots of triggers food which set me back down the road of sugar/processed foods.

So, I choose to restrict.

I'm on day 23 and I'm finally ok with drinking my green tea unsweetened again. And somethings are tasting just to sweet!

• TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    oops forgot to add NSV...i started running 2 times a week in addition to the boot camp I do 3 times a week using the 'Running for weight loss' app [looks like a flame]. And I've gone from 2.8 in the 40 minutes allocated to 3.3 in the same time...woo hoo. Recommend this app if you want to get into running...it has you walk run and sprint and gradually changes the ratios as you improve...
  • smallsteps2success
    Options
    MrCailer wrote: »
    I have been working a lot on positive thinking,I feel I like the mind is a muscle that can direct traffic....make any sense?

Totally makes sense. So awesome! =)
  • smallsteps2success
    smallsteps2success Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Latest NSV: Went in yesterday for my blood sugar level retest. Great news! I am out of the pre-diabetic range and am now in the healthy range for blood sugar levels. It's even lower than it was 5 years ago. I'm so elated that my hard work and diligence has paid off. Not gonna stop...gonna continue on this awesome journey of health. =) Thanks all for being a part of it!
  • smallsteps2success
    Options
    Latest NSVs: increased my workouts from 3-4 workouts/week to 4-5 sometimes 6 times/week; down from size 12/14 to 8/10; and even if I overindulge one day it's become so natural to get back on track the next day (which was never the case for me before) =)