LCHF for cancer? Or other helpful diets?

Options

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to hear about your MIL and friend. It is good both you and your husband are aware of the prognosis of pancreatic cancer not being positive. In hindsight, I was very appreciative of the LPN who pulled me aside at the hospital and told me the prognosis of my Mom...when the doctors did not. My Mom passed 2 months after diagnosis. Make each day count whether it is 2 months or 2 years.

A search on Randy Pausch can yield you some of the treatments he tried during his 2 years of life after diagnosis. What they were and where they were available.

As a side note, you will come upon his "Last Lecture". While the long version may not be of interest, you can find shorter versions also. Uplifting yet heart wrenching. He sort of became an instant celebrity as a result of his "Last Lecture" at Carnegie Mellon University. The lectures are usually the "last" due to retirement. In Randy's case it was "his last" in regards to both retirement (at a young age) and pancreatic cancer diagnosis.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    @kpk54 Yeah... It's helpful to us to know what to expect with pancreatic cancer but I almost wish the information was not so available to her. She is a fairly delicate soul - it must be so hard for her to know what is probably coming, and probably so soon. :(

I forgot about Pausch. I'll look him up. Two years is better than most get. :(

Thank you. :)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    So sorry for both of them, and all of the loved ones who are affected by these cancers!

Prayers for peace that passes understanding!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    After studying this subject for the past three years and reviewing/testing many procols for safety from around the globe it seems like Ben was right about an Ounce of prevention is worth a Pound of cure. I see Keto as prevention if not more.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    So sorry for both of them, and all of the loved ones who are affected by these cancers!

Prayers for peace that passes understanding!

:) Thank you.
    After studying this subject for the past three years and reviewing/testing many procols for safety from around the globe it seems like Ben was right about an Ounce of prevention is worth a Pound of cure. I see Keto as prevention if not more.

That's my hope for my kids. Hopefully it isn't too late for someone like me too. :)
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    I think the video posted featuring Dr. Worm talking about inflammation prevention is key to cancer prevention. Actually I am certain of it. When our mitochondria health suffers than the wall starts to crumble so to speak.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    No science in this but an interesting story just posted today.

http://foodmed.net/2017/09/04/cancer-pilots-survival-secret-angiogenesis/
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Wow. Great story. Our friend with lung cancer might appreciate this one.

• GaleHawkins
    Options
    Thanks for the awesome link. Low Carb makes sense on many levels when it comes to preventing/dealing with cancer based on my reading.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    @MissMaggieElizabeth, I have no words.
    Bless you.
    I will light my lamp tonight and dedicate my Meditation to you and the passing of your husband.

With much Metta.
    <3
  • MissMaggieElizabeth
    MissMaggieElizabeth Posts: 71 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Oh thank you Alexandra. I mostly hope my post helps the OP. I am really doing ok. We had a great 31 years. Lots of good memories.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    You're doing ok. I'm very pleased, truly, to hear that. For the days you're not, I will do as I promised.

(We all have our ups and downs, do we not? ;) )
  • MissMaggieElizabeth
    Options
    Yes of course we do. I have a very active mine and so many things I want to do to make my living space beautiful and fun all around me. Now I have the time to do so being retired and alone. No one but me and the beastlies to take care of. Well house and yard. So my days pass swiftly. I should have been up moving a rug. Going now.
  • MissMaggieElizabeth
    Options
    OOPS Mine=mind
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    @MissMaggie, I am sorry for your loss. I just lost my husband of 31 years in July -- he had esophageal cancer that was stage 4 when diagnosed in February this year, and it spread very quickly. The point about keeping up calories was important, and in my hubby's case, it was very difficult as he could not take solid food. He had to use a PEG feeding tube in his stomach, and as a result he developed cachexia fairly soon (lost weight quickly) and it affected the cancer. Most of the food packs available were high carb, so there was no way to do a keto diet.
    The best thing is to use keto and fasting to encourage autophagy and thereby prevent cancer, it seems. Once you get sick it is hard to reverse it. OTOH, there is Andrew Scarborough! who is an inspiration.
    https://ketogenic.com/interviews/andrew-scarborough/
  • MissMaggieElizabeth
    Options
    camtosh wrote: »
    @MissMaggie, I am sorry for your loss. I just lost my husband of 31 years in July -- he had esophageal cancer that was stage 4 when diagnosed in February this year, and it spread very quickly. The point about keeping up calories was important, and in my hubby's case, it was very difficult as he could not take solid food. He had to use a PEG feeding tube in his stomach, and as a result he developed cachexia fairly soon (lost weight quickly) and it affected the cancer. Most of the food packs available were high carb, so there was no way to do a keto diet.
    The best thing is to use keto and fasting to encourage autophagy and thereby prevent cancer, it seems. Once you get sick it is hard to reverse it. OTOH, there is Andrew Scarborough! who is an inspiration.

Camtosh I am also sorry for your loss. I know there really are no words to make it better. You are in my heart.

I agree it is best to stay as healthy as a person can to ward off the cancer to begin with. Once or if you get it I feel anything goes just to try to stay alive. The oncologists and PA's and nutritionist all say the same thing once cancer happens it is more to just feed the body to keep weight on. Hubby had some weird cravings. The one thing he did really well on was custards. I cooked so many batches of custard I could make it in my sleep At least one batch a day if not two. I added extra egg and a carnation instant breakfast packet to the recipe so he was getting some good nutrition out of it. When he could eat nothing else the custard was his go to. Also the way I made it was fairly high calorie. When it comes to feeding them I put that first above all else. My days revolved around feeding him and even though he did not want to eat he did the best he could. He even had scrambled eggs and an English muffin the morning he died. But his meals were getting smaller and smaller.

Miss that man but I am doing ok. I am happy and content with my new life. Once you get past all the final BS paperwork and all of that the load lightens up quite a bit. Message me if you need to chat with some one that gets it. The online widows groups are too depressing for me. I want to be happy I do not want to waller in my grief.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Here is an article talking about a recent study with fasting which may be of interest.

http://www.healthy-holistic-living.com/scientists-discover-fasting-triggers-stem-cell-regeneration-fights-cancer.html?t=DM

Here is the link to the actual study:

http://www.cell.com/cell-stem-cell/fulltext/S1934-5909(14)00151-9

Cancer is not the primary focus, but it does discuss how chemo can destroy the immune system and fasting seems to rebuild the immune system.

Key pull quote from the article:
    “While chemotherapy saves lives, it causes significant collateral damage to the immune system. The results of this study suggest that fasting may mitigate some of the harmful effects of chemotherapy,” said co-author Tanya Dorff, assistant professor of clinical medicine at the USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center and Hospital. “More clinical studies are needed, and any such dietary intervention should be undertaken only under the guidance of a physician.”
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Well I know way more about pancreas cancer than I ever wanted to know. Hubby was diagnosed in January 2013 . We were able to keep him alive for almost four years using a lot of alternatives and he also did chemo and had the whipple. Message me on some information. The chemo nurses and even his oncologist called him the miracle man because he surpassed his life expectation by a long way.

First it made no difference if he went carb free. The most important thing is to keep as much food in them as possible. Yes it makes all the sense in the world to shun sugars but I believe it is fallacy and keeping his weight up was more import and and helped his body fight off the cancer that did metastasize to his lungs a little over a year before he died. So he still lived at stage four for that length of time. That in itself is amazing. He still weighed 197 two weeks before he died only down from his starting weight of 220. He was 6 foot tall. He many times had to force himself to eat and actually the lower carb foods were harder for him to digest.

Supplements were Bitter Melon, Co Q 10, Enzymes of course because part of his pancreas was removed. HA you would think I would never forget all he was on dishing then up daily for so many years. I will gather the pill bottles and make a better list for you. Oh Petrostillbein or been I forget it will come up in a search.

When he died he had no drugs on board other than his acid blockers and one treatment from a neutralizer with some meds to help his breathing. He died 1 1/2 hour later. His passing was peaceful with just him and I here at the house he was in his recliner and we had been talking right up to the very end. He could still get up and walk to the bathroom but his breathing was going down hill fast. He was either suffering a blood clot in his lungs that was growing or the tumor just got to the point it cut off his airway. He had gone on hospice 4 days before he died. I miss him terribly but I am glad it all was peaceful for both of us in the end and know we both did everything we could to keep him alive. At diagnosis he was stage 3 B inoperable. 6 months of chemo allowed the tumor to shrink away from the SMV so the surgeon could remove the tumor. He was NED then for two more years but it took him a year to recover from the surgery and a lot of hard work for him.

Message me I could write a book here and I doubt others want to read so much. Too much already. Oh and he was 72 when diagnosed and 76 when he died.

@MissMaggieElizabeth (hugs) I am so sorry for your loss. But I am so touched that you are sharing your knowledge with me like you have. Thank you. :) So much.

I would love to know more about what you both did during his fight with cancer. If you are comfortable with it, please share it here. I am sure others would like to learn from your experiences. If you are not comfortable sharing it in the group, and will pm you in a few days.

I do agree that low carb does not seem very useful in this cancer. Nourishing foods does seem to be a much higher priority than watching macros. She has lost weight already. :(

I am looking into Bitter Melon, and Co Q10 and will send the information on to my MIL. I'm not sure if she is eligible for the whipple operation or not yet. I think the cancer is near the bile duct because she was jaundiced but she does not yet know if it is in an operable location yet or not... And health care moves at a snail's pace there. She's having to wait a month to find out. :(

Thanks again. And best wishes to you.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    camtosh wrote: »

(hugs) to you too. I am so very sad for your loss.

I think you are right about the uses of keto and fasting too. It seems to help with chemo and radiation in many types of cancer.

That link you shared is inspiring. Thank you. :)