Introduce yourself

Out_of_Bubblegum
Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
edited August 2017 in Social Groups
Welcome to the board!

Please leave a message introducing yourself- we want to get to know you!

Replies

• Out_of_Bubblegum
    I'll start it off -

I'm Brett - I practice Traditional Taekwondo, where I hold a rank of 4th dan, and with some informal training in Muay Thai, Judo, BJJ. I have also trained in some purely self-defense systems over the years including PPCT and Krav Maga.

Though I am a certified instructor, I am not currently teaching professionally, though I do assist in a weekly advanced class for black belts.

I joined MFP 6 years ago after a 4 year break from MA - I gained a lot of weight during that time, and found that it was a great tool to help with the nutrition and accountability to get my weight under control.

I have a long standing goal to return to competition, which if things continue to go well, will see me in my first tournament next month. I also am training to test for 5th dan, hopefully next summer!
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    edited August 2017
    I'm Casey, I also practice Taekwondo and am a 2nd Dan (2nd degree black belt). I started training TKD at the age of 35 and 420+ pounds as a way to get fit and spend time with my son. Since then I have lost over 100 pounds and gained a ton of self confidence. I just recently was asked to start a TKD school and with the blessing of my instructor I accepted. I am really enjoying the teaching aspect of it and am falling in love with TKD all over again. I have also done some very limited BJJ but my main focus is TKD.

I am also an NRA and Michigan state certified Concealed carry instructor and have certified over 300 people to carry a pistol in public. the MA and Concealed carry go hand in hand and I use techniques from both aspects to help me be a better instructor.

Outside of TKD and Pistol training I enjoy Hunting and coaching youth football. I am married to my High school sweetheart and together we have 2 kids, Alyssa is 15 and shows horses at a highly competitive level and Hunter is 13 ad he is a TKD black belt and plays center on his 8th grade football team.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    I'm Geo (real name redacted). I'm testing for my red belt in tae kwon do next week. I started TKD because I wanted to do something social along with just weight lifting by myself. Turned out I really liked it. Now I go to as many tournaments as they let me so I can spar, and I'm being trained on the "assistant leader" team. It's a great work out, and I've become good friends with my instructors and class mates.

I live by myself with 0 children, non existent wife, 0 pets, and 500 video games somewhere in the wilds of upstate new york.
  • chatvite
    chatvite Posts: 4 Member
    Hi, I'm Lisa. I started ATA TKD in December after my 5 (now 6) year-old started the Tiny Tigers program to join a friend. I took a kickboxing class to start, but watched my son grow in such a short time and at such an early age, that I decided to take a stab at TKD myself. I wanted something to keep me active and never thought I would start martial arts in my 40s. I just earned my camo belt and am truly enjoying the practice.

This is all so very new for me, and have been learning some Krav Maga in our self defense class. I am very fond of the Jahng Bong and have earned first place in 3 tournaments and second in 1 tournament since March. I am also learning how to handle injuries!

In addition to TKD and kickboxing, I like bouldering and top rope climbing, trail running, playing video games, reading, and doing puzzles. I like to build things with Lego with my son. I have 2 cats and a dog, so between the boy and the pets, I am pretty busy.

In 1993, I was in a roll-over car accident where I seatbelt broke and I was thrown through the windshield. Before I had my son, I was able to stay active and was into inline skating. I had actually been training for an inline skate marathon (it was 46 miles) right before I got pregnant. After he was born, I ended up needing back surgery, 19 years after my accident. It has been a long road, both in terms of physical recovery and managing my weight after surgery. However, I have since been cleared by my doctor and I'm better than before.

I am glad that I found this group and I hope to keep motivated along this journey.
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Hi I'm Megan, I'm 31, I have a daughter who is 3, and plan on having another child next year.
    I have been training in muay thai for almost a year. I'm currently preparing for my first fight in November which is a novice fight with shin pads etc. If that goes well I will do a full fight in December. Signing up for fights has been the exact motivation I needed to lose weight and it has been dropping off. I'm heading to Thailand for a holiday in January and will train there for two weeks to experience training under a hopefully more authentic situation.
    In addition to muay thai I love hiking/hunting and getting out into the mountains, skiing, swimming, gardening, anything outdoors.
    I run my own business selling plants and free range eggs at the market, gardening for people, and a little boring work to earn extra money. I believe in spending your time doing what you love as you only get one life so you need to make the most of it.
    I am currently smaller than I have been in over 15years and I owe it to my supportive partner and muay thai.
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Hi, I'm Terry. I'm 54 and have been in martial arts since I was 16.
    I started in Muay Thai in '79. I trained in Thailand and have taught off and on since about '86. I have had a bunch of smoker fights. I sustained a bicycle racing injury that shattered my right elbow, so I have a limited extension in that arm, and that made further ring stuff rather difficult.
    I am a pretty good pad holder/trainer and have held for several fighters' title bout preparations.
    I was encouraged to cross train, and I've trained in the Filipino, Indonesian and Malaysian fighting arts. I particularly like the boxing part of the Filipino martial arts, as it fits so well with the boxing and Muay Thai I'm already doing.
    I just started training in BJJ when my children were born and BJJ kind got put on hold. I'd really like to keep learning in BJJ.
    I'm taking a break from western boxing at the moment while I cut some weight. I tore an achilles tendon twice last year and put on some weight. Doh!
    Right now I'm using my triathlon team training as my primary cardio while I get back down to my normal weight.
    Finally, I have a soft spot for aging martial arts masters, and I spend a lot of time while out of the gym taking care of the ones I am close to.
    I teach on Wednesdays and cover mostly Muay Thai.
    P.S.: If it is okay, I'll omit my rankings. I feel like they get in the way of the journey sometimes, especially when people focus too much on them.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    @ttippie2000 NO problem - I understand completely, and somewhat agree (that's quite a mixed topic!)
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Welcome everyone! looks like we have a very diverse group here!
  • bingo_007
    bingo_007 Posts: 101 Member
    Hi. I have practiced tkd for about 15 years including competitions. I have moved on to kickboxing for a few years as due to a move no tkd class was nearby. After moving again I am doing muay thai now for a few years. Other than this I do enjoy rock climbing but only in the gym my fear of height cant be controlled on real rock walls. Now injury n fertility treatment related I only train to maintain a fitness level n to balance my stress levels
  • lauralies
    lauralies Posts: 1 Member
    Hi! My name is Laura and I have been training BJJ since January 2015. I started training at a more traditional school in the gi (where I received my blue belt a year ago) and now I train strictly no gi at a 10th planet school. I have competed numerous times in the past couple of years and am looking forward to continue competing and improving my game. Like many 10th planet students, I prefer submission only competitions as opposed to points, but I have competed under both rulesets.
  • Soy_K
    Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
    Hello, I'm Soy. I'm 43 and I'm a beginner at modern Chinese wushu. I started about a year ago. And I've had a little background in traditional Shaolin Kung Fu. I know I'm kind of old for this stuff, but I've made a lot of progress in the past couple years. I'd like to continue until my body says no way! (then I'll continue to tai chi) To support/supplement my martial arts learning I take acrobatics, flexibility, and conditioning classes. I've also recently started qi gong.
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Hi! I'm Bianca. I started karate with my 2 boys last November. I figured if I had to be there anyways, I might as well train with them instead of sitting on the sidelines scrolling through my phone. We are all purple belts and I'm loving it.

I didn't find my fitness until my late 30s, but I favorite class at the YMCA has been Les Mills Combat - which is what prompted me to look into martial arts for my boys.
  • desertcoyote19
    desertcoyote19 Posts: 19 Member
    Hi! I'm Sarah. I practice ITF Taekwondo where I currently hold the rank of brown belt, soon to be testing for black stripe and then belt. I have been practicing martial arts for 5 years, but this style for only 3. I was doing it as just a stress relief until I was called upon to spar against a student testing for his 2nd degree black belt. That woke me up and I said to myself that if I can't do a short 30 second burst of sparring in someone else's black belt test, how can I ever complete my own. Since that test, I have dropped 50 lbs, and can easily spar with any opponent.
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Hi: I'm Chuck or Charles. I answer to either. I am a three stripe Purple Belt in BJJ. I also train some kickboxing, a little Muay Thai, and MMA.

Training martial arts (along with cleaning up my diet of course) is the sole reason I lost 90lbs and am in the best overall shape of my life at age 42. Traditional gyms and traditional exercise has always bores me to tears. I never stayed consistent. This part of the reason I packed on the pounds in my mid to late 30's. Three months shy of my 38th birthday I was obese with an infant son, and well on my way to my first coronary.

By chance, coincidence, or providence, (a story for another time), I tried a BJJ class at my local MMA gym. I was hooked instantly. This led to training striking too, but 80% of my training was and still is BJJ - in fact up until recently it was my only exercise. 80 of the 90lbs were martial arts as the sole exercise.

I compete at local and regional BJJ Comps regularly. 10 days ago I did The IBJJF Masters (age 30+) World Championships in Vegas. It has been a goal of mine for a couple of years now. I lost by advantage in my first match to a tough opponent. It was a wonderful trip and experience regardless, and I am going to take another shot at winning and hitting the podium in the next couple of years.

My next goal is to win an MMA fight. I have never fought MMA - only sparred. I want to fight and win won regardless of how many fights it takes. According to my Coach my grappling is more than sufficient for a fight, he just wants me to work on some deficiencies in my stand up before he books me a fight.

I really didn't mean to ramble this much... Anyway, I am happy to be part of the group.

• Brabo_Grip
    edited September 2017
    Gonna attach a before and after pic to show the drastic change MA has made in my life.
  • Brabo_Grip
    akatdrake wrote: »
    Good morning all, my name is Andy. I've been practicing BJJ and Muay Thai for just close to three years. Some life circumstances have gotten in the way and haven't been able to train as consistently as I want to. Sometimes will go just for kickboxing, sometimes just for BJJ. Anyway, I am a one-stripe blue belt under Robert Mrotek who is a Cleber Luciano black-belt. I am 34 years old and feel older, I focus mostly on defense as I've found myself not as "fast-twitch" as I would like. Fought once in MMA back in June 2016, won by rear-naked choke in the first round (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBYQsMvAyIA&t=23s, starts at 3:56). I was pleased with the fight, especially with the first-time nerves, but my technique was a little sloppy striking and going to the ground. We were supposed to fight at 145 but my opponent showed at 168. I was not happy.

I have another fight coming up Sept. 23 and hope to improve further. I have always struggled with motivation and accountability, and hope to use this group to help "blog" a bit and keep myself accountable.

Awesome work, especially against someone that was so discourteous as to show up that far off weight. Well wishes for your next fight!

• Bluebell2325
    Bluebell2325 Posts: 103 Member
    Hi, I'm Mel, I started karate 1st Feb, however it has been a childhood dream for as long as I can remember. Finally got some "Mel" back after having my life invaded by the kids (they're 10 and 12 now so no longer constantly attached, I do love being "wife" and "mum" but I quite like being just "Mel") so I took the plunge and signed myself up, still very much a beginner, but very pleased to have gained my yellow belt last month. I do a lot of running and have found the karate has helped strengthen my core which has been neglected in previous years. Currently supposed to be training for a kata competition in October (among other things) and feeling like I may have more arms and legs than I can control! Mx
  • akatdrake
    akatdrake Posts: 18 Member
    Hi, I'm Mel, I started karate 1st Feb, however it has been a childhood dream for as long as I can remember. Finally got some "Mel" back after having my life invaded by the kids (they're 10 and 12 now so no longer constantly attached, I do love being "wife" and "mum" but I quite like being just "Mel") so I took the plunge and signed myself up, still very much a beginner, but very pleased to have gained my yellow belt last month. I do a lot of running and have found the karate has helped strengthen my core which has been neglected in previous years. Currently supposed to be training for a kata competition in October (among other things) and feeling like I may have more arms and legs than I can control! Mx

Hi Mel, good luck with Karate - I do find it's important to find something you really love to keep you motivated to stick with it! Keep it up!!